• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

So Club Nintendo shipped me... Uh... Something according to this email. Didn't explicitly say what, but they shipped something by Canada Post. I guess they shipped the Smash Bros OST?

I got that email today, after having the OST for about two weeks. CN really is on its last legs, it seems.

Is the 399 deal the best current deal for a PS4? Friend of mine finally wants to bite on one

It comes with TLOU at the original release price so...yeah. I think I got mine a bit cheaper on Black Friday. But it was essentially due to Wal-Marts gift card back ($75 I believe) that brought the price down below this one. I don't see it getting any better then this until the Christmas season kicks up again (assuming the $400 price point sticks).

That being said, they could end up adding another game to the bundle offering more value, at the same price point.

isny

napkin dispenser
Figured it'll get more exposure here, Target has tons of printer ink left for 30%-40% cheaper than Walmart. Ink is something we mostly all use and rarely goes on sale, so if you have yet to stop by your local Target, I'd do so in the next few days before they close for good.

End of PSA =p

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Figured it'll get more exposure here, Target has tons of printer ink left for 30%-40% cheaper than Walmart. Ink is something we mostly all use and rarely goes on sale, so if you have yet to stop by your local Target, I'd do so in the next few days before they close for good.

End of PSA =p
Speak for yourself, I haven't owned a printer in over 15 years.

Ventara

Got both MM N3DS and Smash OST today (never got an email). Miraculously, the CD is intact, despite almost non-existent packaging. Good job, CP. Edit: Whoops, spoke too soon. Crack on the front cover. Screw you Nintendo.

Anyways, is $400 a fair price to to sell my MM N3DS? j/k The box is a lot smaller than I thought, though I guess that's partly due to there being nothing else inside other than the actual 3DS. No MM game, no charger, no dock. Just a few pamphlets and AR cards. Kinda expensive for $230. Is Nintendo selling at cost or something?

On the the actual 3DS, it's beautiful. The colour and design is fantastic. Very nice. And is it huge or what? I've been playing on my OG 3DS, so the size is new to me. It feels thinner, though, and a bit heavier. I like that the game cartridge goes on the bottom now. It'll help prevent accidental pressing. The C-stick feels stiff. I've never used one, so I'll have to get used to it. Anyways, I'm gonna just do the system transfer for now. I won't play anything yet; I want Xenoblade to be it's first game. April 10 can't come soon enough!

Roto13

I have a cell phone question, Canadians.

Is there some kind of wait time if you want to switch carriers and keep your number? Wind has a sale going that ends in a few days, and the husband and I just now decided to finally bite the bullet and switch carriers/get new phones.

Also, is this something they could do at our current carrier's store/kiosk, or will we have to call in? It'd be convenient if we could just go to the Eaton Centre tomorrow and get it done with.

Ryde3

I have a cell phone question, Canadians.

Is there some kind of wait time if you want to switch carriers and keep your number? Wind has a sale going that ends in a few days, and the husband and I just now decided to finally bite the bullet and switch carriers/get new phones.

Also, is this something they could do at our current carrier's store/kiosk, or will we have to call in? It'd be convenient if we could just go to the Eaton Centre tomorrow and get it done with.

It should take no more than 20 minutes to 2 hours for your number to 'port' over, and as soon as you do so your contract with your previous carrier will be cancelled. You can do it on the spot, when you sign your new contract but you will need a bit of information from your previous career.

If you don't mind, what kind of plan were you looking at getting? I may have a suggestion.

Roto13

It should take no more than 20 minutes to 2 hours for your number to 'port' over, and as soon as you do so your contract with your previous carrier will be cancelled. You can do it on the spot, when you sign your new contract but you will need a bit of information from your previous career.

If you don't mind, what kind of plan were you looking at getting? I may have a suggestion.

We're both leaning towards Wind's $40 monthly plan. Unlimited Camada-wide calling, global texting, data, and voicemail.

vulva

Just a heads up, I have Wind myself and the coverage is terrible, even in the middle of Vancouver. Where are you located?

Based on the previous post, they're from Toronto (mentioned the Eaton Centre). I'm with Wind in Toronto, coverage isn't anything amazing but I get reception anywhere I go within the city and when visiting nearby family in Kitchener-Waterloo.

N° 2048

Wind is terrible. My parents got it and I can't talk to them for more than 5 minutes without static.

I am downtown right near the CN tower and on Fido. They are near Eglinton West Station.

Seriously, don't advise going with Wind. I'd much rather pay a bit more for clear reception.

Ac30

Based on the previous post, they're from Toronto (mentioned the Eaton Centre). I'm with Wind in Toronto, coverage isn't anything amazing but I get reception anywhere I go within the city and when visiting nearby family in Kitchener-Waterloo.

Wind pisses me off so much. I stay in the vain hope they fix coverage and I can keep my $40 everything-in plan, because all the other Telcos' plans are daylight robbery, but at this rate I'm changing providers this summer because I'm constantly unable to call.

isny

napkin dispenser
Speak for yourself, I haven't owned a printer in over 15 years.

They had printers 15 years ago?

edit: Oh, like one of these?

dot-matrix.jpg

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Wind is terrible. My parents got it and I can't talk to them for more than 5 minutes without static.

I am downtown right near the CN tower and on Fido. They are near Eglinton West Station.

Seriously, don't advise going with Wind. I'd much rather pay a bit more for clear reception.

Interesting. We're at Bathurst and St Clair in a lowrise, no issues with Wind's reception / quality for us. Reception where we use to live in Swansea was pretty bad when we first signed up, but over the years it improved a lot (as it did for most of Parkdale), but since our move, we've had no problems either.

Firestorm

Ryne

You guys were right about the non-existent CN packaging. The bag was see through and definitely had no protective shielding. Mines arrived fine, but I wouldn't blame Canada Post for any damages, the CD had no packaging!

Roto13

Wind has been great for me so far in Vancouver. I only have issues underground.

The $39 plan is probably better if you go to the US a lot and don't need global texting or voicemail.

I almost never go to the US. And I'm planning to get a new phone with it and they're all $100 more on the $39 plan.

krae_man

I almost never go to the US. And I'm planning to get a new phone with it and they're all $100 more on the $39 plan.

Yeah that US plan is crap unless you bring your own phone or travel to the us every month. You're better off paying the $15 once or twice when you travel to get the extra $100 in windtab.

I have never had any issues with wind in Toronto or Kitchener except for at sporting events and the one bus route to Fairview mall which goes outside the coverage area for 30 seconds.

Roto13

Yeah that US plan is crap unless you bring your own phone or travel to the us every month. You're better off paying the $15 once or twice when you travel to get the extra $100 in windtab.

I have never had any issues with wind in Toronto or Kitchener except for at sporting events and the one bus route to Fairview mall which goes outside the coverage area for 30 seconds.

Yeah, I haven't been to the US in like 5 years. :p And I didn't even bring my phone, much to the chagrin of my co-workers.

I'm going to be cautious and see what their return policy is. As long as it works in my apartment, I don't care. I only ever call my mom anyway. Everyone else, I text, because it's 2015.

krae_man

Return policy is like 50mb and 20 minutes of calling or something. Its not a lot. You need to pretty much not use it at all and test signal strength everywhere you go.

Firestorm

Ah okay. Yeah, I bought an iPhone 6 which they don't sell when switching and I go to the US for a few days 8 months of the year so the plan made more sense for me. I was probably spending about $90 USD a year on T-Mobile's $3 a day plan so switching helped a lot.

Ventara

Deal

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but Killzone: Mercenary (Vita) is $20. Great price, and I believe this is the first time it's gone on sale. I suggest you buy it if you're interested, as once it's sold out, it'd be hard to find for cheap again.

Killzone: Mercenary $20 Amazon BB FS

There's a few other vita games on sale like Borderlands 2 that was mentioned earlier, so check out the Vita sections if you're interested.

Teeth

Hey, have we ever tried to have an exclusively Canadian Buy/Sell/Trade thread (even over in the Community ghetto)?

Going through all of the posts to try and find canadian posters is a chore.

Hey, have we ever tried to have an exclusively Canadian Buy/Sell/Trade thread (even over in the Community ghetto)?

Going through all of the posts to try and find canadian posters is a chore.

it comes up once in awhile. I would definitely subscribe and keep tabs, but our shitty canadian shipping rates would probably keep it from being too successful. You can't really just sell games for $5-10 less than retail shipped like you can in the US.

Zing

Banned
So, I bought Xenoblade Chronicles on release day and played it for about two weeks. Never touched it after that and sold it last year. Now, I want to try it again.

Anyone know where I could pick up a new or used copy in the GTA? I see some on Kijiji but they are long distance. Price is not an issue, but driving for an hour to pick up is.

Teeth

it comes up once in awhile. I would definitely subscribe and keep tabs, but our shitty canadian shipping rates would probably keep it from being too successful. You can't really just sell games for $5-10 less than retail shipped like you can in the US.

I get the impression that there would be a lot of cross posting with the standard thread and then the dedicated thread would die with lack of activity. But it sure would be nice.

Sajjaja

Yeah it's probably best to just mention it here for now.

So, I bought Xenoblade Chronicles on release day and played it for about two weeks. Never touched it after that and sold it last year. Now, I want to try it again.

Anyone know where I could pick up a new or used copy in the GTA? I see some on Kijiji but they are long distance. Price is not an issue, but driving for an hour to pick up is.

If you have a N3DS you can just buy that version. Out on April 10th.

Zing

Banned
I do, but I'd rather play it on the big screen. My girlfriend enjoyed watching.

Besides, I don't want a 240p version of the game, even if it is in 3D. :D

Follow-up to the mysterious Club Nintendo Canada Post email. Yep it was my Smash Bros OST. Just came in today. Well that's that then.

Your best bet is the N3DS version coming out next month because it will probably be easier to find. PROBABLY.

Zing

Banned
Not intending to spam this thread, but I discovered that Video Games Plus has plenty of sealed copies and is about a 30 minute drive from me, and it's on sale. I'll call them tomorrow to verify. I've never shopped with them before, so I didn't even think to check. I randomly stumbled across their listing on eBay.

Add me to the list of folks who received the club nintendo shipping email and the OST on the same day. I don't even know if I am going to open the shrink wrap on it. It is undamaged, though.

Edit: WTF. VGP claims that the reprint of Xenoblade doesn't include the manual? That can't be true.

... But it is. I found forum posts from people who bought VGP copies and it has no manual. The search continues...

Spike

As much as I dislike them, you can get it here.

So Club Nintendo shipped me... Uh... Something according to this email. Didn't explicitly say what, but they shipped something by Canada Post. I guess they shipped the Smash Bros OST?

Yeah got the same hollow e-mail twice this week. One for each club Nintendo Reward I ordered, but I had to match up my order # with the ones from my CN account to find out what they were for. Funny enough, I never received an e-mail for the Smash soundtrack, yet I already received it in the mail.

Jashobeam

Not intending to spam this thread, but I discovered that Video Games Plus has plenty of sealed copies and is about a 30 minute drive from me, and it's on sale. I'll call them tomorrow to verify. I've never shopped with them before, so I didn't even think to check. I randomly stumbled across their listing on eBay.

Add me to the list of folks who received the club nintendo shipping email and the OST on the same day. I don't even know if I am going to open the shrink wrap on it. It is undamaged, though.

Edit: WTF. VGP claims that the reprint of Xenoblade doesn't include the manual? That can't be true.

... But it is. I found forum posts from people who bought VGP copies and it has no manual. The search continues...

That's odd, I bought mine when they first offered the reprints at 79.99 and it did include the manual.

Zing

Banned
Yes, it appears there was the original print run, then the infamous reprint later (which GameStop opened and sold as "used"), and now retailers have virtually unlimited copies of the sealed game which are part of another reprint that has no manual, just the warning booklet.

I sold my preorder copy with art book for $80 on GAF a long time ago. I had burned myself out by doing every single side quest in the first town. I won't make that same mistake again.

If anyone has a copy to trade, I have a mint sealed North American
Marth Amiibo

Top Bottom