• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

I like this, should make things easier. I always found it weird that BestBuy.ca and Futureshop.ca were basically the same thing.

Whhat? Game is so good! IMO

No, I ordered one off Shop.ca that wouldn't come for a few days after release, so I bought one at Future SHop to tide me over and was gonna refund the new copy at FS. I was worried I'd be stuck with two.

Moltenix

Surprising to wake up and hear the news about Future Shop. I always thought it was weird they were often right within proximity to each other though (at least here in Calgary, i'm sure other places were the same).

N° 2048

No, I ordered one off Shop.ca that wouldn't come for a few days after release, so I bought one at Future SHop to tide me over and was gonna refund the new copy at FS. I was worried I'd be stuck with two.

Ahh I see :)

it still sucks the Future Shop near me will likely be closing. it was nice to have more options.

Agreed, I go to the Yonge and Eglinton one once in a while and used to go there as a kid all the time. Kind of will be weird seeing it go or even rebranded.

I just hope everyone can keep their jobs :(

My wife lost her job today... but my e3 pre orders!!!!

So sorry to hear! As someone who works in retail, these past two years are scaring the hell out of me...not good for Canadian retail it seems?

Mrmartel

Banned
How long until all retailers close up shop in Canada and we're left with online only? 15-20 years?

In 10 years a lot of niche retailers will be gone. In 20 years even the big boys like Walmart and Best Buy physical stores will be threatened.

Anyone looking at long term work in retail is making a huge mistake (It's a big mistake anyways).

Probably as "best buy"

What's weird is that you can still place orders on the Futureshop website
FS_zpstytceryx.jpg

These retail closings are going to get a lot worse before they get better. Hopefully everyone affected gets back on their feet as quickly as possible.

N° 2048

Do you guys think small shops will be affected to?

I notice more and more people tell me "This is cheaper @ Walmart or Dollarama." over at the shop I work at.

Cmagus

Do you guys think small shops will be affected to?

I notice more and more people tell me "This is cheaper @ Walmart or Dollarama." over the shop I work at.
Probably not, the problem with Futureshop is that their competitors are priced so much better. Futureshop for most things non gaming were very expensive compared to Walmart or Amazon or even Newegg.

I ordered games from FS as they were always good about quick delivery but anytime I went in the store I either couldn't find what I needed or they were 10-20.00 overpriced.

At least Best Buy is saying they will give priority hiring for all FS employees as some guy on Reddit who had a meeting at BB today relayed.

N° 2048

Probably not, the problem with Futureshop is that their competitors are priced so much better. Futureshop for most things non gaming were very expensive compared to Walmart or Amazon or even Newegg.

I ordered games from FS as they were always good about quick delivery but anytime I went in the store I either couldn't find what I needed or they were 10-20.00 overpriced.

At least Best Buy is saying they will give priority hiring for all FS employees as some guy on Reddit who had a meeting at BB today relayed.

Good to hear!

As some one struggling to find work after losing my previous job due to mental health complications, this is a kick in the gut. It was tough enough when a Target shut down here. :(

However, I do hope that the employees of FS land on their feet. I wish them the best.

i-Jest

So sorry to hear! As someone who works in retail, these past two years are scaring the hell out of me...not good for Canadian retail it seems?

I think all big box retailers not named Wal Mart will be experiencing some kind of turbulance. I could be wrong thoug.

I should check out the Stock Yards location in Toronto to see if there's anything I want. I'd love to see it rebranded but I have no idea if that'll happen.

Qwyjibo

I never give out my number in the kijiji ads, because who wants crazy people having any of your personal information to harass you. They don't even get your e-mail address unless you respond to their online messages, so I just ignore all the crazy messages and ridiculous offers and respond to the people that have a clue.
I'm the same way.

I just had a response to my Kijiji listing just saying "text me at ________". Ummm no. Why don't you just respond to my damn ad and its very clear instructions?

NolbertoS

Just heard the news and not sirprised to be honest. The last 3-4 months I've visited FS felt more like a ghost town with low sales. Not cool though how employees don't know until the last day. Happened when BB in Van shut some stores and employees didn't know until the went to work and saw the aign at the door. BB Canada is next if they don't get off there ass. Amazon is proving to be the future of online gaming.

Kade

For anyone interested in picking one up, Microplay (if you still have one near you) is having a weekend sale where all new Xbox One systems are $50 off and you get a $50 gift card with the purchase.

Also, anyone planning to hit up the Waterloo VGCC Swap Meet tomorrow?

iiicon

Wow, that would explain why I had to wait 15 minutes yesterday while trying to cancel my Story of Seasons order before eventually giving up.

N° 2048

if anyone wants to buy my like new in box copy of bloodborne let me know by private message.Toronto, North York Center on Saturday afternoon, or sometime next week at Eaton Center or financial district downtown. $60

I'm looking to build up my GAF feedback but i do have RFD feedback in case youre curious.

Yes its too hard for me. Lol

I wouldn't give up. You have until May/June until AAA releases so that's plenty of time to give it a shot. I am like 15 hours in and only 2 bosses down. I SUCK but damn it's a fun game.

Surprising to wake up and hear the news about Future Shop. I always thought it was weird they were often right within proximity to each other though (at least here in Calgary, i'm sure other places were the same).

Me too. The closest Best Buy is 20 minutes away, if not more, and has had a Future Shop across the street from it since opening.

I always preferred Future Shop, though I didn't shop there much due to bad customer service and a preference for Walmart and other electronics stores. I know that's a bit contradictory. I used to shop at FS a lot as a teen, but hadn't in a while.

I was shocked to read this news, though, especially on a Saturday. Thankfully, BB will honour FS gift cards, because I've been holding on to quite a bit of credit to put towards a new TV when I need one.

Is this the END of our E3 deals? This was Future Shop driven and Best Buy adopted.

If so, there won't really be a good way to buy new games in Canada unless BB continues and Amazon keeps imitating...

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Is this the END of our E3 deals? This was Future Shop driven and Best Buy adopted.

If so, there won't really be a good way to buy new games in Canada unless BB continues and Amazon keeps imitating...
I really hope BB continues to do those E3 deals. With rising game prices we need them more than ever.

I can't even begin to image the effects of Future Shop and Target closing across the country within the same few months. The job market for retail is going to be completely over saturated and this is going to plunge a ton of people into even lower paying, entry level jobs. Our country is so messed up right now.

I can't even begin to image the effects of Future Shop and Target closing across the country within the same few months. The job market for retail is going to be completely over saturated and this is going to plunge a ton of people into even lower paying, entry level jobs. Our country is so messed up right now.

Don't forget Mexx and Sears as well.

I wouldn't give up. You have until May/June until AAA releases so that's plenty of time to give it a shot. I am like 15 hours in and only 2 bosses down. I SUCK but damn it's a fun game.

I appreciate the encouragement, & I did have fun with it, but I'm done. Even as an NES player I wasn't a fan of trial and error games. To each their own.

I have all three systems so I'm not short on games to play. Back to Dragon Age for me. (DA by the way for newcomers, wow its fun!! I totally held off on it until the Xbox demo came out a couple weeks ago, and it is a lot of fun. Already 20 hours put into it. Its cutting into my other hobbies.)

Anth0ny

this is so fucked. UGH.

if e3 pre-orders are done, I'm done with buying new games day one. there's enough past generations of video games I can explore for $30 or less per game. I don't need the cutting edge on day one anymore.

iLLmAtlc

I really hope BB continues to do those E3 deals. With rising game prices we need them more than ever.

I honestly have no idea how any company could do those preorders without losing tons of money. Wouldn't be surprised if they are just done away with.

Dark day for Canadian retail.

The timing is a bit strange, but any closer to the end of the month and it might get construed as an April Fools joke.

It wouldn't surprise me if the future of big retail was a warehouse of lockers for customers to pick up their online orders.

For those of you that buy groceries at Intependent, Superstore or No Frills, I've been finding that they best way to get deep discounts on games is accumulating PC Plus point. They can take a while to accumulate if the deals given to you suck for a long time or if you don't need to buy anything, but if you need to stock up on something and the right coupon shows up during a huge sale at No Frills you can usually get some good credit out of it. Right now I am slowly approaching the $40 mark and will be using it to pick up a $5.00 copy of Captain Toad during Superstore's next no tax event...

The timing is a bit strange, but any closer to the end of the month and it might get construed as an April Fools joke.

It wouldn't surprise me if the future of big retail was a warehouse of lockers for customers to pick up their online orders.

There used to be a retail store like that. Wasn't it Moyers or something? You got a catalogue sent to your house and then you just went to a retail store that was only comprised of a big retail checkout, and asked for whatever was in the catalogue. They went into the back, picked it up off the shelf and then you paid for it. It might be time to revisit that retail model...

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

A return of Consumers Distributing? :p

Banned
Tiger Direct Etobicoke is closing too. But I think they are switching to being an online company only.

Anyways, anybody have any deals on a dualshock 4? I'm sick of having to stop gaming when my battery is low since the charging cable is like 4 feet only.

Tiger Direct Etobicoke is closing too. But I think they are switching to being an online company only.

Anyways, anybody have any deals on a dualshock 4? I'm sick of having to stop gaming when my battery is low since the charging cable is like 4 feet only.

I think all of them are closing and switching to online only.

You might be better off buying an extended cable off ebay or amazon for $5 instead of buying a new controller, then just wait for black friday deals when you'll probably be able to get one for $30.

zroid

Banned
So what about gift cards? I got one recently, does this mean I have to spend it on...whatever?

FS and BB gift cards were always the same anyways. you could use them in each other's stores but sometimes the employees would reject it for whatever reason. i'm sure they will accept them now.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So are they converting existing FS stores to BB or just simply close them? My city has no BB and only 1 or 2 FS, fuck :/
I think most cities with only one store will convert. Guelph is converting, even though the nearing BB is in Kitchener. But I assume the Kitchener/Waterloo FS is going to close.

For anyone interested in picking one up, Microplay (if you still have one near you) is having a weekend sale where all new Xbox One systems are $50 off and you get a $50 gift card with the purchase.

Also, anyone planning to hit up the Waterloo VGCC Swap Meet tomorrow?
I'll be there! Doubt I'll buy much. Really just looking for GBA and GC stuff.

iiicon

Huh, so I just returned my E3 FS Bloodborne order to BB and they refunded me the full amount instead of the discounted price. I'll take it.

Tik-Tok

I bet the waterloo Best Buy converts, the Kitchener one? Up in the air I'd say.

If you go to the Best Buy website and punch in an area code for KW you'll see the Waterloo Futureshop is listed as reopening April 4th. The Kitchener one isn't listed at all which I'm assuming means it will be closing. Sucks cause that one is a block from me.

mdubs

Banned
in case anyone was still concerned, @FS_Gamer has been confirming that they will fulfill all outstanding pre-orders

RIP @FS_Gamer. I'll never forget the one time they sent me a free copy of NFS Most Wanted a couple weeks after it came out because I responded to one of their tweets.

ePDRmLN.jpg

Top Bottom