• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

LordOfChaos

juyRgIV.jpg

Just got it, Target liquidation pricing.

Ventara

Guys, I bought something from FS that I had planned to return. How's that going to work? Am I SOL, or can I return at BB?

Huh, so I just returned my E3 FS Bloodborne order to BB and they refunded me the full amount instead of the discounted price. I'll take it.

What? Didn't you give them the online receipt with the price you paid? Was the clerk an idiot or something?

LordOfChaos

Guys, I bought something from FS that I had planned to return. How's that going to work? Am I SOL, or can I return at BB?

The latter. Unlike Target they didn't have a huge warning period, it happened in one day, so they'd have to honour those since they didn't warn people in time.

LordOfChaos

Is there anything good worth going to Target for or is it really YMMV at this point with scrapes left over.

YMMV. Each store has differing inventories at this point, and most of them are very bare by now. A few good electronics deals though, especially on games.

zroid

Banned
Just got this email

Today we announced that Best Buy and Future Shop are consolidating as Best Buy. This means that the products, services, and features you have come to expect from Future Shop and FutureShop.ca will now be available at Best Buy and BestBuy.ca.

If you have any questions about the transition, please read our FAQ.
If you can’t find the answer you are looking for, feel free to email us or call 1-866-BEST-BUY (1-866-237-8289).

What this means for your existing pre-order:
You don’t need to do a thing. Once your item ships you’ll continue to receive all the same Future Shop notification emails and you’ll be able to access your order details through FutureShop.ca. We’ll continue to offer you the same high standards of service you rely on.

What this means after you receive your order:
You’ll still receive all the same post-purchase support through Best Buy both online and in-store.

Returns – for any help with returns, please call 1-866-BEST-BUY (1-866-237-8289) or visit a Best Buy store. Find your local Best Buy store.

Price Beat Promise – Instead of the Price Beat Promise, you’ll now get all the same great coverage under Best Buy’s Lowest Price Guarantee.

We’d like to thank you for your continued business and support, and we look forward to seeing you again soon at Best Buy or BestBuy.ca.

Sincerely,

The Future Shop & Best Buy Teams

iiicon

What? Didn't you give them the online receipt with the price you paid? Was the clerk an idiot or something?
Yep. I showed the clerk my receipt, she punched in the order details, and it rang up at $78.

Firestorm

RIP

And I wonder how long they'll honour the pre-orders for?
Tales of Zesitira - $44.99
Final Fantasy XV - $39.99
Kingdom Hearts 3 - $39.99
Mirror's Edge 2- $39.99
These ain't comin' out for a while. I mean, it's already been so long that the 33% savings are now 50% savings.

IceIpor

Regarding Best Buy/Futureshop, I'm also guessing they technically aren't "going out of business" either.

That's why the pre-orders are still valid, you can return things to Best Buy and that there will be no liquidation sales. Just movement of stock from FF > Best Buy.

Regarding Best Buy/Futureshop, I'm also guessing they technically aren't "going out of business" either.

That's why the pre-orders are still valid, you can return things to Best Buy and that there will be no liquidation sales. Just movement of stock from FF > Best Buy.

BB isn't going out of business at all.

Well, the downtown Vancouver Future Shop is converting, as expected. So that's good. Still, I wish EB would open another location in DT Vancouver. Havign Future Shop as the only big games outlet can be a major pain in the ass.

I wonder if the Downtown Toronto FS is closing. I assume so.

It doesn't show up in Best Buy's store locator, whereas the Yonge and Eglinton one does, so I think that's a safe assumption. I wonder what's going to take its place, though? I honestly can't think of many retail chains looking for that kind of space. It doesn't seem big enough for, say, a Walmart. Most everyone else already has a store in the area. Plus, a three-storey storefront just down the street has been vacant for over a year now and shows no signs of being occupied anytime soon.

Canon

Banned
in case anyone was still concerned, @FS_Gamer has been confirming that they will fulfill all outstanding pre-orders
Even for games coming out in 2017 (Zelda Wii U)?

Lol. Oh well. I'm going to miss buying games on launch day (E3 pre-orders).

It doesn't show up in Best Buy's store locator, whereas the Yonge and Eglinton one does, so I think that's a safe assumption. I wonder what's going to take its place, though? I honestly can't think of many retail chains looking for that kind of space. It doesn't seem big enough for, say, a Walmart. Most everyone else already has a store in the area. Plus, a three-storey storefront just down the street has been vacant for over a year now and shows no signs of being occupied anytime soon.

Probably clothing.

My guess is UniQlo

Thought about that, but they're opening in the Eaton Centre in the former Sears space (apparently they're splitting it with Marshall's).

They'll keep their order database and give us access on BB's site I assume. Maybe a FS order section?

My impression was that the Future Shop site was staying up, but only the order history and customer service portions. Who knows how long they'll keep the site up, though; as mentioned upthread, some of the pre-orders people have won't be out until well into 2016 or potentially beyond.

Probably will be some clothing store. I seriously can't think of anything. Also which three-story storefront are you referring to? Do you mean the retail space located inside the Aura? Pretty those spaces are gonna stay vacant for a while.

Yonge & Dundas is probably a different case. It's smack dab in the middle of the urban chaos that is Yonge & Dundas, and there's a lot of foot traffic in that area. Hell, the building that the potential retailer will occupy already has subway access in the basement, and a movie theater on the top floor.

Probably will be some clothing store. I seriously can't think of anything. Also which three-story storefront are you referring to? Do you mean the retail space located inside the Aura? Pretty those spaces are gonna stay vacant for a while.

Yonge & Dundas is probably a different case. It's smack dab in the middle of the urban chaos that is Yonge & Dundas, and there's a lot of foot traffic in that area. Hell, the building that the potential retailer will occupy already has subway access in the basement, and a movie theater on the top floor.

Nah, I mean down by Shuter, beside the Urban Outfitters. I guess it's actually only two above-ground storeys (the basement is also finished retail space, though). It was a Buffalo David Bitton for a while, but they cleared out and for lease signs went up. It's a little eerie seeing what seems like prime retail frontage go unused for so long, but Yonge Street is weird.

Just drove by the one Future Shop we have in town here and the notice says it will reopen as Best Buy next Saturday April 4th

We have no Best Buy so it will be the first.

Hurray!

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I think getting rid of Future Shop was always in the plans for Best Buy, they just wanted to build up the Best Buy brand before doing so, which was smart considering Target did the opposite and look how that worked out.

Such a shame losing futureshop tbh, it's exactly the same as Best Buy but with a way better aesthetic :(

Depends on the store. The new one that opened near my place, which is gonna become a Best Buy, looks nice, but another one a bit further away that's closing looks like a dump.

Thats too bad :(.

I'm surprised they didn't convert it to a BB and close the BB down the street. Its a better location. Though, probably more expensive.
Probably the cost to rebrand this one as BestBuy and close the other wasn't that worth the increased sales due to a more prime location. I have some photos I'll upload in a bit. A bit eerie.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Toronto GAF

I was at the Woodbridge area today (Western and Highway 7). And just found out TigerDirect store there is shutting down. They have lot of stuff on sale, 10-30% off on pretty much everything. GPUs off by 10%, PC cases 20% etc.

wtf is going on, why is everything shutting down :(

Toronto GAF

I was at the Woodbridge area today (Western and Highway 7). And just found out TargetDirect is shutting down. They have lot of stuff on sale, 10-30% off on pretty much everything. GPUs off by 10%, PC cases 20% etc.

wtf is going on, why is everything shutting down :(
They are liquidating all stores across North America, to focus on their online store front.

Top Bottom