• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

Sealtest

Has anyone preordered from CD Japan before? it's been more then 2 weeks since my Digimon Cyber Sleuth was shipped out ( game has already arrived ) And they have yet to charge my card.

I know the right thing to do is contact them, But should I continue waiting because maybe they're just doing charges later then usual?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
so uh, does Best buy do steel book pre-orders on games

Don't think so. But they will probably start.

btw those pics of Futureshop downtown makes me so fucking sad :( I went to Ryerson for 4 years, and have been there like so so many times. Also been part of few midnight launches. memories :(

mdubs

Banned
Has anyone preordered from CD Japan before? it's been more then 2 weeks since my Digimon Cyber Sleuth was shipped out ( game has already arrived ) And they have yet to charge my card.

I know the right thing to do is contact them, But should I continue waiting because maybe they're just doing charges later then usual?

Yes, they are always late charging but do in the end, just sit tight.

Very disappointing that Future Shop is closing its doors. For me, it never failed that I was able to find better deals and more obscure games at Future Shop when they were nowhere to be found (or sold out) at Best Buy.

More importantly, I hope those who lost their jobs will get back on their feet quickly. Best of luck to them.

Man, I got a $20 coupon on my reciept for buying Borderlands The Handsom Collection at Futureshop this week. It was kinda the reason I got it now instead of waiting for a price drop. I hope Best Buy will allow me to use it...

sikkinixx

Im wondering if the Bestbuy near Coquitlam Centre will take over the Futureshop space in the mall. Much higher traffic than across the street.

Ventara

Future Shop will always be remembered by that crazy ass game trade deal.

Best console launch ever. Got 3 games for my new PS4 for nothing.

Yeah, that was pretty wild. It was at BB, too, iirc.

My favourite FS experience was during the early days of the Vita/3DS where they had trade 1 get X new release free or when their E3 preorders where a flat $20 off, making $40 games cost $20. One could play new release game for almost nothing back then. Good times.

Yeah, that was pretty wild. It was at BB, too, iirc.

My favourite FS experience was during the early days of the Vita/3DS where they had trade 1 get X new release free or when their E3 preorders where a flat $20 off, making $40 games cost $20. One could play new release game for almost nothing back then. Good times.

And when they first started taking trades, for that first year the trade 2/trade 3 deals were just nuts with the titles they allowed. Man, the memories...actually, it's no wonder they made no money haha

Ventara

And when they first started taking trades, for that first year the trade 2/trade 3 deals were just nuts with the titles they allowed. Man, the memories...actually, it's no wonder they made no money haha

For sure. It was even better when they offered those gift cards. One could literally go between FS/BB and EB trading/buying and building store credit. Now that was the Golden Age. Even Rogers/Blockbuster were in it, too.

For sure. It was even better when they offered those gift cards. One could literally go between FS/BB and EB trading/buying and building store credit. Now that was the Golden Age. Even Rogers/Blockbuster were in it, too.

I don't think anything will EVER beat the first 2-3 months when Blockbuster started taking trades. Anyone who was there knows exactly what I'm talking about, some of the values they offered were just ludicrous. Crimson Skies for the original Xbox got like $20, despite costing like $3.99 used at EB. You could go to EB and spend $20 on crap, and get well over $100 in credit at Blockbuster. I don't know if it's because they wanted to build their library, or because they had some truly uneducated people deciding values, it was probably both, but I made out like a bandit for awhile.

It worked the other way too, you could get lucky and find some really good prices on used games if you tried.

Oh so it charges when they ship when you input your credit card? I usually pay by paypal so I pay right when I order....

Harusame

What about when Sears inevitably closes down too? That's three empty spaces.

That's quite true...

If that will the case, the only anchor stores will T&T and Hudson Bay. And if those were to go as well, Coquitlam Centre might just be the new Henderson Place.

Nordstrom could possibly occupy the retail space of Target, Future Shop or Sears....if they are willing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
iqpX2hD.jpg

WJlblQO.jpg
Anyone old enough to remember the old Futureshop at that location before that building went up? The one that was so tiny and cramped? I think this FS closing basically spells the end of the old Yonge Street entirely. Crazy.

That's quite true...

If that will the case, the only anchor stores will T&T and Hudson Bay. And if those were to go as well, Coquitlam Centre might just be the new Henderson Place.

Nordstrom could possibly occupy the retail space of Target, Future Shop or Sears....if they are willing.

Hahahaha, Henderson Place, that poor mall needed to annex the Coquitlam Public Library to fill its farthest side!

As for Coquitlam Centre, if they don't watch out their motto might soon be: "Coquitlam Centre, really vacant shopping." (it's currently "really comfortable shopping")

mdubs

Banned
RIP Future Shop Markham. You were so good to me over the years, and the associates there were always super helpful to me. Good night sweet prince

Anyone old enough to remember the old Futureshop at that location before that building went up? The one that was so tiny and cramped? I think this FS closing basically spells the end of the old Yonge Street entirely. Crazy.

The one that was close to Sam The Record Man back in 2006. That was where I first did HDTV hunting. :'(

Any word on the FS at Empress Walk? That was where I got my first HDTV at. :(

schlew

I don't think anything will EVER beat the first 2-3 months when Blockbuster started taking trades. Anyone who was there knows exactly what I'm talking about, some of the values they offered were just ludicrous. Crimson Skies for the original Xbox got like $20, despite costing like $3.99 used at EB. You could go to EB and spend $20 on crap, and get well over $100 in credit at Blockbuster. I don't know if it's because they wanted to build their library, or because they had some truly uneducated people deciding values, it was probably both, but I made out like a bandit for awhile.

It worked the other way too, you could get lucky and find some really good prices on used games if you tried.

Hahaha, that reminds me, I used to work at Blockbuster and I handed out some obscene credit for odd games. The worst (and I got in a tiny bit of trouble for) was a $99 trade-in-value for some weird monster truck game. The best part was applying an absurd price sticker of $109.99.

I knew it was wrong when the I took the trade, but figured that if BB wanted to get into the trade game, they should be prepared.

kevin1025

Banned
Hahaha, that reminds me, I used to work at Blockbuster and I handed out some obscene credit for odd games. The worst (and I got in a tiny bit of trouble for) was a $99 trade-in-value for some weird monster truck game. The best part was applying an absurd price sticker of $109.99.

I knew it was wrong when the I took the trade, but figured that if BB wanted to get into the trade game, they should be prepared.

Oh, Blockbuster. I used to trade in games with said obscene credit amounts and buy multiple TV seasons with it. Those were the days.

There was a Futureshop there? Wow, I barely remember pre-Square Yonge and Dundas

I only remember HMV and the arcade

Jinto

Anyone shop at GamerSection.ca before? I made a purchase from them a few days ago, and nothing has happened since. My credit card hasn't been charged. Do they wait until they ship before they charge?

RIP future shop! I bought my first computer from you (a HP 800mHz P3 with winME!). While the commission tactics were annoying, you could always find a helpful rep AND it was our store.

Side note: any deals on NHL15? I got a sick buddy who needs an opponent.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The one that was close to Sam The Record Man back in 2006. That was where I first did HDTV hunting. :'(

There was a Futureshop there? Wow, I barely remember pre-Square Yonge and Dundas

I only remember HMV and the arcade
Yeah, that's the one. I barely remember what else was on that side of the street now though... it's been so long since I thought of Yonge and Dundas pre Dundas Square.

Stage On

Welp since it's not coming up on their online store locator anymore I can safely say that the Futureshop at the Oakville Town center is now closed. $%^!

I thought it'd stay open since the nearest best buy from it is pretty far away right at the edge of town on the border between Oakville and Missasaga. Far enough away that it's a total pain in the ass to get to in comparison.

Now where am I going to get my street passes from?

I do! It always had larger item boxing day merchandise in stock because of the lack of street parking. Ah memories.

And the music stores around it used to sell CDs for $12.99 - it was the cheapest block in Toronto to buy music.

I remember buying a 360 there. Then they added gears to the bundle and honoured the match for previous purchasers that month. Very cool.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Anyone know if Amazon.ca will be offering the Goro DLC with MKX? If I search "Amazon.ca Mortal Kombat X Goro", this

pops up but I can't find the actual text on the item page. Granted I'm on my phone so I don't know if that's the reason.

No_Style

Anyone know if Amazon.ca will be offering the Goro DLC with MKX? If I search "Amazon.ca Mortal Kombat X Goro", this

pops up but I can't find the actual text on the item page. Granted I'm on my phone so I don't know if that's the reason.

Must be a bug. Text didn't appear until I switched to the Kollectors edition and back to Standard.

Yeah, I worked at Blockbuster as well. I remember the DVDs having odd pricing as well for trade. I brought in my Blade II because it had a $20 trade in value at one point. Weird shit like that made Blockbuster a good place to trade in games and DVDs.

I saw a North York location on Best Buy's store locator. I think that's the one.

I'm really happy that the Future Shoppe in Barrhaven is being converted to a Best Buy. I've had really bad experience at FS, like the cashier removing the sales tag on a game and ringing it for full price and then telling me her shift just ended when I complained, or when the manager told me she needed to photocopy my driving license to let me use $300 in store credit...

The place was my personal hell.

Now, why did they even open it as a FS instead of a Best Buy? I bet it was to taunt me.

zroid

Banned
I'm really happy that the Future Shoppe in Barrhaven is being converted to a Best Buy. I've had really bad experience at FS, like the cashier removing the sales tag on a game and ringing it for full price and then telling me her shift just ended when I complained, or when the manager told me she needed to photocopy my driving license to let me use $300 in store credit...

Now, why did they even open it as a FS instead of a Best Buy? I bet it was to taunt me.

the employees are gonna be the same you know >.>

It's going to be the same employees working the Best Buy as FS. Those don't sound like Future Shop problems, they sound like bad employees.

Luigi87

Things definitely are business as usual for Futureshop.ca right now at least. Was already charged for Story of Seasons.

I just hope when the full convert happens I'll still get day one delivery (ship from the same distribution centre). Bestbuy.ca always failed that for me.

Ventara

I should of bought more of those $30 12-moth PS+ subscriptions from a few years back. I'm gonna run out at the end of this year.

Top Bottom