• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

iLLmAtlc

What does your company's reward system have to do with how 60 CAD isn't equal to 60 USD?

he's trying to tell you about opportunity cost. you don't really know who is paying more unless if you know what each person is giving up.

Here's an example for simplicity: what if movies cost $10 in both US and Canada? Games cost 60 and 75. In Canada it costs 7.5 movies instead of 6 to play the same game. In that case the Canadian gamer is clearly paying more.

basically 60 USD = 75 CAD isn't proving what you think it is, without more.

What does your company's reward system have to do with how 60 CAD isn't equal to 60 USD?

The CAD has a different worth today than it did, say in 2013. In 2013, it would have cost you $450 for that Batman PS4. Assuming your salary is $10/hr, that's 45 hours. Today, it costs $600, or 60 hours of work. That's what he's referring to as "Big Macs"; it's the cost in relation to goods. It's basic economics man.

Hopeford

Question, I'm thinking of buying a ps4 and I haven't been keeping up with its pricing at all so I was wondering if there are good deals on it semi-frequently or if that's rare enough I should just go for whatever bundle is available right now.

It's not a huge deal either way for me but I figure I better find out before buying it and then hating myself because it goes on sale a week later or something haha.

Lexxism

Question, I'm thinking of buying a ps4 and I haven't been keeping up with its pricing at all so I was wondering if there are good deals on it semi-frequently or if that's rare enough I should just go for whatever bundle is available right now.

It's not a huge deal either way for me but I figure I better find out before buying it and then hating myself because it goes on sale a week later or something haha.

Buy the $399.99 PS4 + TLOU bundle. This drop might be temporary and might go back again to $449.99. I don't see PS4 going below $399 anytime soon.

ultra7k

Was at Costco yesterday, and I thought I saw the PS4 TLOU bundle + Additional controller + 1 year PS+ for $459 and thought that was a pretty good deal.

ohlawd

Was at Costco yesterday, and I thought I saw the PS4 TLOU bundle + Additional controller + 1 year PS+ for $459 and thought that was a pretty good deal.

that's good

if I got that, I'd try to sell the extra controller and game to get some of my money back

For those working at Targets that aren't closed yet, are discounts proceeding normally? Might we see 60% tomorrow?

Everything was 80% off at the one that was closing, which I went to. However, I already own Sunset Overdrive and didn't really want Fantasia: Music Evolved or Ghosts - which is shit - in French.

Anth0ny

Amazon.ca has the LE Arkham Knight bundle now.

It's fucking $550. I was so hyped for it and now I'm deflated as hell. Even the standard bundle is $500. Unbelievable.

F1y07es.gif

I hope I'm not making a mistake passing on the Ps4 again while it's only $400 :(

I always find brand new PS4 consoles for $350 on Kijiji!
I bought one for $360 which came with NHL15, LBP3 and a digital voucher for another game of choice! Oh and that came with the receipt from EB!

If you're only buying from stores, you will regret it :D

mdubs

Banned
The CAD has a different worth today than it did, say in 2013. In 2013, it would have cost you $450 for that Batman PS4. Assuming your salary is $10/hr, that's 45 hours. Today, it costs $600, or 60 hours of work. That's what he's referring to as "Big Macs"; it's the cost in relation to goods. It's basic economics man.

Yup. I don't understand why vulva feels the need to tell us about how its not that bad that games cost more on relative basis for Canadians? I mean, good for you that you're happy to have to work for a relatively higher amount of time to pay for your game but for an odd and mysterious reason some of us miss when games were cheaper.

Cake Boss

Banned
What's the best place to buy a Wii U?

The Nintendo website has refurbished model for $199 plus a game. How long should I expected a delivery?

Or ebgames where I can pick one up for $199?

Halp its for a bday present for my little bro.

a916

Yup. I don't understand why vulva feels the need to tell us about how its not that bad that games cost more on relative basis for Canadians? I mean, good for you that you're happy to have to work for a relatively higher amount of time to pay for your game but for an odd and mysterious reason some of us miss when games were cheaper.

It's one thing to miss cheaper prices but a whole different to acknowledge that finding games $60 CAD is 20.5% off (which is a solid deal for a day 1 game).

Just because the Canadian dollar is down doesn't mean Amazon or other retailers should stomach the 20% markdown across the board just to save face and have similar numbers after the dollar sign.

Also, if wages go up to counter-act the dollar falling, (in this wacky comparision), the prices for goods would then have to rise as well... which counter-acts any point of doing something like that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What's the best place to buy a Wii U?

The Nintendo website has refurbished model for $199 plus a game. How long should I expected a delivery?

Or ebgames where I can pick one up for $199?

Halp its for a bday present for my little bro.
Given what EB did with refurbished 360s, I would never trust a used system from them.

explodet

Have been super busy to do anything this past 2 weeks, whats the status on Target? Is it over?
All of them are closing on the 12th.

I went to the Stockyards yesterday, it was a disaster area. All I found game-wise was a PS3 Skylanders Trap Team starter packand a WiiU Disney Infinity 1 starter pack.

Left empty-handed.

All of them are closing on the 12th.

I went to the Stockyards yesterday, it was a disaster area. All I found game-wise was a PS3 Skylanders Trap Team starter packand a WiiU Disney Infinity 1 starter pack.

Left empty-handed.

So its still open but just a wasteland, what are the discounts right now?

mdubs

Banned
It's one thing to miss cheaper prices but a whole different to acknowledge that finding games $60 CAD is 20.5% off (which is a solid deal for a day 1 game).

Just because the Canadian dollar is down doesn't mean Amazon or other retailers should stomach the 20% markdown across the board just to save face and have similar numbers after the dollar sign.

Also, if wages go up to counter-act the dollar falling, (in this wacky comparision), the prices for goods would then have to rise as well... which counter-acts any point of doing something like that.

Sorry, but nobody is going to consider that a solid deal considering that's what we were paying day one a year and a half ago

a916

Sorry, but nobody is going to consider that a solid deal considering that's what we were paying day one a year and a half ago

No, we're not. These games for the most part are imported from the US. We were paying $60 USD, we're still paying $60 USD... if you want to complain about the dollar being crappy then we're talking government and other issues, and the scope of that talk is beyond this thread.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
No, we're not. These games for the most part are imported from the US. We were paying $60 USD, we're still paying $60 USD... if you want to complain about the dollar being crappy then we're talking government and other issues, and the scope of that talk is beyond this thread.
That's all fine and good, and if you want to consider 60 CAD for a game to be a deal, then that's fine.

But considering most people have have E3 orders for games that are 40-50 CAD each, you can understand why people are less than enthused that a game is 60 instead of 70.

a916

That's all fine and good, and if you want to consider 60 CAD for a game to be a deal, then that's fine.

But considering most people have have E3 orders for games that are 40-50 CAD each, you can understand why people are less than enthused that a game is 60 instead of 70.

Oh no, don't misunderstand me, I don't like paying more for games either, but sadly, 60 CAD is a deal. I'm not happy about that either, but it's a deal, as crappy as the situation might be.

(Fingers crossed BB does the same deal this year... I imagine it'll be in higher demand)

Ondore

Last year on Easter weekend, FS (RIP)/Best Buy did money off preorder deals on the Sunday itself. Anyone heard if that's happening again this year?

(And has their flyer come out for next week yet? Daddy needs a new laptop)

a916

All the Targets near me don't even have electronics sections anymore, they're all yellow tape'd up.

The games were moved to a different location for a couple Targets near me. They were all near the front entrance by the cash tills. Not sure if that helps though.

Stage On

I always find brand new PS4 consoles for $350 on Kijiji!
I bought one for $360 which came with NHL15, LBP3 and a digital voucher for another game of choice! Oh and that came with the receipt from EB!

If you're only buying from stores, you will regret it :D

Anything I should be on the lookout when buying used to make sure I don't get scammed?

kind of hard to fully test a system out if you're meeting at someplace like a public library for safety

Anything I should be on the lookout when buying used to make sure I don't get scammed?

kind of hard to fully test a system out if you're meeting at someplace like a public library for safety

Try and ask for a receipt, like the user you quoted. That way, you know it's not stolen inventory.

I bought brand new factory sealed console, you can easily tell if it's actually new or not especially with the glossy parts that get easily scratched!
Buying used is different but a receipt would at least make Sony fix it if it actually needs to!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There's a blog out there about all the abandoned malls in the US and it basically looks like a post-apocalyptic film in all of these places. Nature just starts reclaiming these things, and at some point it becomes more expensive to renovate than it is to simply demlosh the whole thing.

Not really gaming related but this is probably the closest thread.

Does anyone know when sales on Easter chocolates begin? Is it on Saturday or Monday? I'm kinda looking to binge on cheap chocolate.

Ondore

Best Buy's doing another Online Power Hours thing tomorrow night... and it's 10% off select preorders.

And there was much rejoicing. (Yaaay)

kinger

Not really gaming related but this is probably the closest thread.

Does anyone know when sales on Easter chocolates begin? Is it on Saturday or Monday? I'm kinda looking to binge on cheap chocolate.

If you're near a TRU, I passed through one on Tuesday and a bunch of easter stuff was already 50% off (not sure if chainwide though?)

a916

Origin is offering ME Trilogy at $14.99 (I am presuming this is USD), the lowest I've ever seen it is $9.99. I think I might just bite on this.

No_Style

that's absolutely disgusting.

edit

Rainbow Six Siege is priced 75$ on Amazon.ca

alright folks wtf is going on, is this the new price now?

Yeah. Been a while now.

Last year on Easter weekend, FS (RIP)/Best Buy did money off preorder deals on the Sunday itself. Anyone heard if that's happening again this year?

(And has their flyer come out for next week yet? Daddy needs a new laptop)

10% off pre-orders starting at Saturday, Apr 4, 8pm ET @ BestBuy.ca

Roto13

Got Mario Gold World Tour from Club Nintendo. Checked the DLC and the season pass is $20.65 or something. It's $15 in the US. Ugh.

Top Bottom