• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

ohlawd

compare the sellers and you'll see why the first link has the discount

---

as for Amazon, they're unfortunately the only choice sometimes. 9 times out of 10, I'll choose to spend a little extra money elsewhere than give Amazon my monies.

hazukash

I have something good to say about Purolator for once. I used the (now expired) Cineplex coupon on Toys'R'Us to get a discounted copy of Omega Ruby. I picked free shipping so I expected Canada Post, but no, it was Purolator. I wasn't home the day they delivered and their pick-up location is in a shady area hard to access by foot. I managed to schedule a new delivery by asking them on Twitter. It took less than 20 minutes for a reply and I didn't even have to talk to their awful CS people on the phone. Will do again next time.

tiijj

compare the sellers and you'll see why the first link has the discount

---

as for Amazon, they're unfortunately the only choice sometimes. 9/10, I'll decide to spend a little extra money elsewhere than give Amazon my monies.

They both say: "Ships from and sold by Amazon.ca. Gift-wrap available"

I have something good to say about Purolator for once. I used the (now expired) Cineplex coupon on Toys'R'Us to get a discounted copy of Omega Ruby. I picked free shipping so I expected Canada Post, but no, it was Purolator. I wasn't home the day they delivered and their pick-up location is in a shady area hard to access by foot. I managed to schedule a new delivery by asking them on Twitter. It took less than 20 minutes for a reply and I didn't even have to talk to their awful CS people on the phone. Will do again next time.

Nice try Purolator rep.

hazukash

Nice try Purolator rep.

Dude, I wouldn't have ordered from Toys'R'Us had I known they used Purolator. The deal was too good for me to be picky about shipping.

I won't go out of my way to use Purolator, but I admit I was impressed. I've had only bad experiences with their CS until now.

khaaan

Amazon.ca is doing a 10% for selected/upcoming pre-orders on their site. You need to order each game individually though, although they're offered with free shipping so that doesn't really matter [or you can choose to pay for faster shipping if you REALLY want it]. It run until 7:00AM PST on April 6th.

I know, 10% isn't a whole lot, but given our dollar, every little bit helps. I pre-ordered quite a few [mostly the Atlus titles, but Senran Kagura 2 and a few more as well].

Here's the list of eligible titles:

http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=amb_link...d_t=201&pf_rd_p=2073270982&pf_rd_i=B00SHFGK1I

Thanks for the heads up, though I don't think you need to order them individually. I put both Rodea and Fire Emblem into my cart (anyone have any other recommendations?) it took 10% off my subtotal.

chrono01

Thanks for the heads up, though I don't think you need to order them individually. I put both Rodea and Fire Emblem into my cart (anyone have any other recommendations?) it took 10% off my subtotal.
You're absolutely correct. I mis-read the terms.

•Items must be purchased in a single order and shipped at the same speed to a single address

So yes, if you're choosing the same shipping speed for them all, you can pre-order whatever you want in a single order. Good to know!

Personally, I split mine up, since I'm not sure what I might want "express" later on or not. :/

zroid

Banned
I wonder what's going to happen with our Fire Emblem pre-orders if Nintendo does in fact decide to release two versions in the west as well... lol

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder what's going to happen with our Fire Emblem pre-orders if Nintendo does in fact decide to release two versions in the west as well... lol

We can only hope that they get turned into the superior Nohr version.

iphys

Lucky you. I also used my Cineplex coupon for TRU, and stupid Purolator rang the wrong door bell and left the delivery notice on the wrong apartment door. I contacted their CS, and they said they would redeliver. Guess what? The moron rang the wrong door bell and left the note on the wrong apartment door again. When I complained they said they could only attempt 2 deliveries and I'd have to go pick up the package myself! So I trekked there only to discover there wasn't even a sidewalk on the street the place was at, and I had to walk 5 minutes in the road hoping not to get run over. If I could drive I would have just gone to TRU in the first place, so what is the point of shopping online if I'm going to have to go to an even less accessible location to get my item? I complained to TRU that they should never use Purolator ever, ever again, and they said they'd take a note of it, but I honestly doubt I will ever order from there again without a guarantee they won't use Purolator.

Mr. F

Banned
I guess this is gaming related by extension - I'm moving and going to be setting up my own internet for the first time (other places I've lived had it bundled into rent). Is Teksavvy still generally regarded as the more favourable ISP option?

Edit; Living in Toronto, forgot to mention.

hazukash

Lucky you. I also used my Cineplex coupon for TRU, and stupid Purolator rang the wrong door bell and left the delivery notice on the wrong apartment door. I contacted their CS, and they said they would redeliver. Guess what? The moron rang the wrong door bell and left the note on the wrong apartment door again. When I complained they said they could only attempt 2 deliveries and I'd have to go pick up the package myself! So I trekked there only to discover there wasn't even a sidewalk on the street the place was at, and I had to walk 5 minutes in the road hoping not to get run over. If I could drive I would have just gone to TRU in the first place, so what is the point of shopping online if I'm going to have to go to an even less accessible location to get my item? I complained to TRU that they should never use Purolator ever, ever again, and they said they'd take a note of it, but I honestly doubt I will ever order from there again without a guarantee they won't use Purolator.

Sucks for you. Purolator is so hit or miss that I doubt I'll order from Toys'R'Us again knowing they only do business with them. I got lucky with their CS this time but next time, they might lie to me about rescheduling deliveries again.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
My solution with Purolator is to leave a big fat note in the lobby on the buzzer to let them know I'm home and I indeed live there. So far it works, but it sucks that I have to resort to it and keep on top of when my orders will be arriving. Otherwise, they've never made a delivery without a second attempt request.

I guess this is gaming related by extension - I'm moving and going to be setting up my own internet for the first time (other places I've lived had it bundled into rent). Is Teksavvy still generally regarded as the more favourable ISP option?

I switched over to Teksavvy just over a year ago after being with Bell for a long time and I couldn't be happier with the service. It's fast, it's almost never down and if it is it's for a very short time and the price is pretty good by comparison to other reliable ISP's. The only downside is having to buy the modem yourself.

timnich

Anyone who ordered the Bloodborne strategy guide from Amazon have their order ship yet? It was supposed to ship on March 24th but mine has yet to. Wondering if it's an issue with the publisher or Amazon.

Maximus.

Anyone who ordered the Bloodborne strategy guide from Amazon have their order ship yet? It was supposed to ship on March 24th but mine has yet to. Wondering if it's an issue with the publisher or Amazon.

Still waiting for it to ship as well.

Nope - still waiting. I was putting off getting deeper into the game until it comes but I just may say f-it and continue playing and use the guide for the later parts or a second playthrough.

@Wreck

was down town with cable modem option:

customer service is great
and its very rare to have internet service down

teksavy all the way man

i've move to north york now just transfered my account for 25 dollars same service quality there as well

pretty happy with them

BadWolf

I've had Primus internet for years now, get 300kb max download speed and unlimited bandwidth. Paying about $54 a month (about $8 of that is for the dry loop iirc).

Is this a good or better to switch to Techsavvy? I'm in Mississauga.

I've had Primus internet for years now, get 300kb max download speed and unlimited bandwidth. Paying about $54 a month (about $8 of that is for the dry loop iirc).

I suppose it depends on what you need, but 300kb download speed sounds atrociously slow for a $54/month bill. I know Telus has some deals on right now for 25 down/5 up for $35 (3200 kb/s max).
http://www.telus.com/en/bc/internet/?INTCMP=LNK_frmCTA_TopNavigationAll_toHomeInternet

This is only for 6 months though, and has a 250gb download cap ($40 for 400gb for 50mbps, $50 for 500gb and 100mbps). I was doing a lot of research for the Vancouver area, and $70/month seems to be the going rate for unlimited bandwidth and good download speeds. If that is too much, you could ride this Telus deal, and then switch after 6 months. You can also probably find something closer to $55 for unlimited bandwidth and 15mbps (1920 kb/max) if you look around. I'm not sure if Uniserve does your area, but they seem decent for the Vancouver area. Techsavvy is also likely a good option, but you may need to buy a modem.
Uniserve
http://www.uniserve.com/services/index.php?page=31

BadWolf

I suppose it depends on what you need, but 300kb download speed sounds atrociously slow for a $54/month bill. I know Telus has some deals on right now for 25 down/5 up for $35 (3200 kb/s max).
http://www.telus.com/en/bc/internet/?INTCMP=LNK_frmCTA_TopNavigationAll_toHomeInternet

This is only for 6 months though, and has a 250gb download cap ($40 for 400gb for 50mbps, $50 for 500gb and 100mbps). I was doing a lot of research for the Vancouver area, and $70/month seems to be the going rate for unlimited bandwidth and good download speeds. If that is too much, you could ride this Telus deal, and then switch after 6 months. You can also probably find something closer to $55 for unlimited bandwidth and 15mbps (1920 kb/max) if you look around. I'm not sure if Uniserve does your area, but they seem decent for the Vancouver area. Techsavvy is also likely a good option, but you may need to buy a modem.
Uniserve
http://www.uniserve.com/services/index.php?page=31

I will look into those, thank you :)

I think my current TekSavvy DSL plan is about what you pay, including dry-loop. It's 25mbps down, 10mbps up. If you don't need the upload, I think you can get 25/1 for less and you won't have to buy the dumb FIBE modem Bell requires for 25/10 (TekSavvy goes through Bell for DSL, of course).

My download speeds obviously vary but I can get 2MB/s or more on Steam no problem. Upload's not actually 10 (apparently my line only does 7 or 8, TekSavvy said) but 500kb/s upload is doable. For the most part I just use it for online backups, but Twitch streaming in 720p was no problem.

BadWolf

I think my current TekSavvy DSL plan is about what you pay, including dry-loop. It's 25mbps down, 10mbps up. If you don't need the upload, I think you can get 25/1 for less and you won't have to buy the dumb FIBE modem Bell requires for 25/10 (TekSavvy goes through Bell for DSL, of course).

My download speeds obviously vary but I can get 2MB/s or more on Steam no problem. Upload's not actually 10 (apparently my line only does 7 or 8, TekSavvy said) but 500kb/s upload is doable. For the most part I just use it for online backups, but Twitch streaming in 720p was no problem.

Damn, that sounds pretty damn good. Im guessing we have to talk to them about reducing the upload speed? I will be using it for browsing, downloading and online play the vast majority of the time, does that need high upload?

Went to their site and they have these options for the modem:

SmartRG SR505N $120.00
SmartRG SR505N $140.00
Modem Shipping $10.00

We are supposed to choose one of these two?

khaaan

Damn, that sounds pretty damn good. Im guessing we have to talk to them about reducing the upload speed? I will be using it for browsing, downloading and online play the vast majority of the time, does that need high upload?

Went to their site and they have these options for the modem:

SmartRG SR505N $120.00
SmartRG SR505N $140.00
Modem Shipping $10.00

We are supposed to choose one of these two?

Its been a few years since I did it but yes, you can either choose one of their modems or use your own. I'm not sure what the price difference between the two is for though, it might have to do with whether you want to purchase the modem or rent it.

I've been trying to get my family to cut rogers completely and just go with TekSavvy + Netflix but they keep resisting.

BadWolf

Its been a few years since I did it but yes, you can either choose one of their modems or use your own. I'm not sure what the price difference between the two is for though, it might have to do with whether you want to purchase the modem or rent it.

I've been trying to get my family to cut rogers completely and just go with TekSavvy + Netflix but they keep resisting.

Thanks man!

And you too chrominance :)

Mr. F

Banned
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Went ahead and ordered Teksavvy and shopped around for a good router for my needs. Looking forward to it!

The guide was delayed until April 14th so they could include the most up to date information from the day 1 patch. Amazon.com was updated to reflect this I dunno why .ca wasn't.

AAK

Does anyone know the best deal for getting Mortal Kombat X? I know EBGames is doing a 30% trade in towards MKX but meh.

Dropped my xperia z3 from like 3 inch off the ground and the screen shattered. wtf
Anyone knows where to find store offers replacement in downtown Toronto?

Top Bottom