• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

Damn, that sounds pretty damn good. Im guessing we have to talk to them about reducing the upload speed? I will be using it for browsing, downloading and online play the vast majority of the time, does that need high upload?

Went to their site and they have these options for the modem:

SmartRG SR505N $120.00
SmartRG SR505N $140.00
Modem Shipping $10.00

We are supposed to choose one of these two?

I would assume you pick from those two, yes.

Also, it sounds like you already checked out the options, but it turns out I was wrong: 25mbps is always on FIBE modems TekSavvy/Bell provides (though thank god they're not using the Sagemcom crap I have, hopefully the SmartRGs are less finicky). I was thinking of the 15mbps options: there's a 15/1 version that uses older modems (and you can bring your own), and a 15/10 version that uses the new FIBE modems (and afaik you have to use the modems TekSavvy sells).

Obviously, double-check everything I just said before buying--I was already wrong once!

Tapejara

Hm, I stop lurking this thread for a few days and I miss out on the $60 PSTV deal and Amazon's 10% off promotion.

Anyway, anyone here have Fiber with Distributel? We switched over from Distributel's cable internet, and while the speeds are great the modem drops connection way too frequently. Anyone else have this problem?

Also, did we ever get the The Order 1886 art book up here?

Zing

Banned
Preordered Splatoon from my local Microplay, since they have the game even cheaper than my dusty ass Amazon preorder. Weird that the date is still listed as the 31 when the game is scheduled for 29. I'm keeping my Amazon Splatoon Amiibo order, though.

Interestingly, the owner of the shop said that Nintendo hasn't raised the MSRP on their games in a while. So, sites such as Amazon currently charging $70 for Splatoon is strictly their prerogative. Anyone looking to buy new 3DS/Wii U games should check out Microplay. The games will be $5-10 less than other stores due to this.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Preordered Splatoon from my local Microplay, since they have the game even cheaper than my dusty ass Amazon preorder. Weird that the date is still listed as the 31 when the game is scheduled for 29. I'm keeping my Amazon Splatoon Amiibo order, though.

Interestingly, the owner of the shop said that Nintendo hasn't raised the MSRP on their games in a while. So, sites such as Amazon currently charging $70 for Splatoon is strictly their prerogative. Anyone looking to buy new 3DS/Wii U games should check out Microplay. The games will be $5-10 less than other stores due to this.

So how much is Splatoon there? Their website is useless to know a price...

BadWolf

I would assume you pick from those two, yes.

Also, it sounds like you already checked out the options, but it turns out I was wrong: 25mbps is always on FIBE modems TekSavvy/Bell provides (though thank god they're not using the Sagemcom crap I have, hopefully the SmartRGs are less finicky). I was thinking of the 15mbps options: there's a 15/1 version that uses older modems (and you can bring your own), and a 15/10 version that uses the new FIBE modems (and afaik you have to use the modems TekSavvy sells).

Obviously, double-check everything I just said before buying--I was already wrong once!

Just canceled with Primus and placed an order with Techsavvy, thanks for your help :)

It will probably be at least 7 times faster and the monthly bill will only be $2 more ^_^

EDIT: Did an online test and my current speed with Primus is 2.56mbps...

Dropped my xperia z3 from like 3 inch off the ground and the screen shattered. wtf
Anyone knows where to find store offers replacement in downtown Toronto?

I dropped mine from hip height (missed my jacket pocket) and it chipped but didn't crack across the screen. Sorry about your screen :(

I wonder who on earth gave this a pass on the durability test.

It hit concrete floor, broke both front and back glass, and touch screen stopped working. And I got it just last week too :(

Called multiple places and the price was like $250+ to replace, damn

iLLmAtlc

I wonder who on earth gave this a pass on the durability test.

It hit concrete floor, broke both front and back glass, and touch screen stopped working. And I got it just last week too :(

Called multiple places and the price was like $250+ to replace, damn

for that money might as well give it a shot yourself with youtube

Layth

I was checking out the 3DS eShop cause my copy of Etrian Mystery Dungeon hasn't shipped from Best Buy and wasn't even charged for the order yet. That's when I notice that eShop has the price listed as $39.99 instead of the $49.99 that's listed on Amazon and Best Buy. On top of everything being in BC and have my region set to Alberta I probably saved around $15 going digital.

I was checking out the 3DS eShop cause my copy of Etrian Mystery Dungeon hasn't shipped from Best Buy and wasn't even charged for the order yet. That's when I notice that eShop has the price listed as $39.99 instead of the $49.99 that's listed on Amazon and Best Buy. On top of everything being in BC and have my region set to Alberta I probably saved around $15 going digital.
Can you check how much Xenoblade 3D costs?

ohlawd

I haven't been charged either. this sucks, I wonder when I'll get the game

Does anyone know the best deal for getting Mortal Kombat X? I know EBGames is doing a 30% trade in towards MKX but meh.

The shop.ca $20 off Facebook coupon is what I went with. It came out to $59 shipped. So... Yeah unless you're cool with paying full price it probably isn't an option.

SickBoy

With Target closing down in a few days, thinking about going across town to see if anything decent is left on the video game racks. Picked my son up a couple of DS/3DS games for $6 at one store that closed recently.

I've found the closeout to be pretty sad. I really liked Target (and got a bunch of good deals there), plus it leaves such a big retail hole behind. For video games, I guess there are still a fair number of places to shop, but in terms of broad, general merchandise stores, what's really left? There's Walmart, and I guess Superstore.

Still, I do get that they disappointed. While I didn't see a ton of the "empty shelves" issues at my local stores, the liquidation was pretty eye opening, as stock got dumped into the stores -- some of which seemed as though it should have been on shelves before the liquidation ever started. I think if they launched smaller and expanded -- instead of launching big -- they might have made a better go of things here... certainly more room to manoeuvre and modify their Canadian edition to satisfy customers... without the huge losses.

$59.99

I have an old Amazon preorder for $62.99.

Yeah, it sucks that $60 is considered a good price.

Totally. I was fortunate to preorder it at E3 ($45.49)... if I had any inkling that the dollar would tank like it has, I would've preordered pretty much everything that was available -- so if I changed my tune on something I could try it at a good price.

krae_man

My nexus 4 has taken a swan dive from waist height onto hardwood floor a couple of times and the glass on both sides is still crack free. I got all the luck.

N° 2048

My nexus 4 has taken a swan dive from waist height onto hardwood floor a couple of times and the glass on both sides is still crack free. I got all the luck.

I've dropped mine so many times, once on concrete and the back cracked but I put some tape and it still works perfectly.

Phone is durable as fuuu.

RaidenXZ

Was at cineplex in woodbridge and dropped my xperia Z2. The thing bounced down a few stairs (on the concrete might I add, not the carpeted middle portion) and landed at the bottom of the stairs hard on the concrete again. Everyone stopped and looked and felt horrified......but it was perfectly fine! Have some scratches here and there on the exposed parts from my thin ass case but it's perfectly fine from what I can see (knock on wood)

kennah

I tripped and threw my Galaxy s4 on my concrete steps. Glass fine.

However I did lose two iPhones by dropping them from the 4th floor balcony to the second floor atrium at work.

Mmm electronic drop stories

I have an iPod classic that I've dropped countless numbers of times on concrete, and in the past 2 months it has fallen into 3 puddles.

Still works fine no problems at all. She's a keeper, that iPod classic. Shame that Apple doesn't seem to officially sell them in Canada anymore.

Don't get me started on my HTC One which is seemingly indestructible based off my experience with it.

Ventara

I once dropped my Vita on a concrete stairway. It literally bounced on each step before landing at the bottom. Everything was moving slo-mo as I watched it fall but knew there was nothing I could do. The case it was in flew off after the first hit. Thankfully, it was okay save a small dent and a few scuffs.

I once dropped my Vita on a concrete stairway. It literally bounced on each step before landing at the bottom. Everything was moving slo-mo as I watched it fall but knew there was nothing I could do. The case it was in flew off after the first hit. Thankfully, it was okay save a small dent and a few scuffs.

Damn. I cringed reading that.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Only time I ever dropped one of my phones was my old iPhone 3GS. I was working on a ladder above ceiling tiles so I took my hard hat off and put my phone inside it to act as a speaker while I listened to music. When I was done I instinctively put on my hard hat again as I was climbing down the ladder and completely forgot my phone was still in it. It fell ~12 feet to the concrete floor and all it got was a small scratch on the back. I never use any kind of case and at most will put it in a ziplock bag if I'm working somewhere really dirty. People think I'm crazy.

Moltenix

Dropped my xperia z3 from like 3 inch off the ground and the screen shattered. wtf
Anyone knows where to find store offers replacement in downtown Toronto?

That sucks. I dropped my Z3 a few weeks ago from waist height and it landed on its back. The case saved it; not a scratch. Not sure it would've faired so well if it landed on its front screen though.

In not completely surprising news for a Nintendo game, Xenoblade Chronicles looks to be hard to get after tomorrow so if you wanted a physical copy make sure you got a pre-order/get it tomorrow.

I have dropped iPhone, Galaxy, some Sharp Japanese phones, even Xperia ZL at higher height drop, they were all fine with just small scratches and I didnt use case... never have, but will after this accident :(

i-Jest

What are you basing this off of?

If I had to hazard a guess....

Probably because Nintendo would rather push more Eshop sales than retail. They don't make money on unsold product sitting on shelves for extended periods of time. Quite the opposite since they paid money for that shelf space and the returns could be subpar compared to what they paid to make and shelf the product for. Xenoblade is a rather niche game so it's not expected to sell COD numbers and Nintendo is still trying to grow the name so not everyone will know or be interested in the game.

I'd also like to know what reSpec Gaming reasoning is behind the comment.

I work in video game distribution. We are sending out copies to stores now and have no additional copies in the pipeline after that.

Hmm. I could see this happening less because it's Xenoblade and more because it's a n3DS exclusive, and the market is probably relatively small. It does make sense to have retail for early adopters, and just allow everyone else to go eShop if they want it.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Heh, since BB/FS haven't charged me yet, I just reserved Xenoblade at the Best Buy across from STC. I wonder if they'll screw up and let me pick it up today. >:D

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I noticed some stores had in store reserves up yesterday.

I haven't heard of anyone getting a copy early yet.
I usually only see them go up on the day of release, so this caught my eye.

Edit: So quick update. Best Buy didn't reserve my order, and my FS order was actually just canceled because they have no copies left and and don't know if they're receiving more. Luckily, I had a Best Buy order and they simply matched the price of the FS order which was $45 with tax. Seems like Xenoblade 3D is going to be quite the collector's item if Nintendo doesn't reprint it.

I usually only see them go up on the day of release, so this caught my eye.

Edit: So quick update. Best Buy didn't reserve my order, and my FS order was actually just canceled because they have no copies left and and don't know if they're receiving more. Luckily, I had a Best Buy order and they simply matched the price of the FS order which was $45 with tax. Seems like Xenoblade 3D is going to be quite the collector's item if Nintendo doesn't reprint it.

They cancelled your FS online order due to a lack of stock?

That's concerning. I am not sure if that's a Nintendo issue or if we're going to see the FS side short shipped in favour of stocking Best Buy orders in the future. Most likely Nintendo.

At least I got the call for my order at EB.

Captain Toad for $31.49 on the eShop. Talk me out of it.

Tempting. I have a Toad Amiibo.

Captain Toad is my favorite Wii U game. The Amiibo mode is great too.

Meanwhile, ah, that sweet sweet taste of the Amazon.ca release cycle. sob. Ship Story of Seasons one day, please...

I posted this in the Buy/Sell thread but got no takers so I'm putting it here too:

Anyone in the Greater Toronto Area interested in buying a physical and sealed copy of GTAV on PC for $60 CAD, no tax? I had pre-ordered it from Best Buy last year and they won't let me cancel, so rather than return it once its shipped to me next week I figured I'd sell it here. Any takers? Send me a PM.

Top Bottom