• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

Xenoflare

Man EB games and their edge card pitch is slowly getting to my nerves.

I'm not supposed to be angry since I'm sure the person behind the counter hate to pitch as well, but they are getting more and more pushy every time I visit.

Xenoflare

I bet Atlus will start price gouging even home console games, and then Persona 5 will be like $100. We'll be back to late SNES era prices.

Jesus hell, the probability of that happening is higher than you and me would think.

I mean, $79.99 pretax is a thing now.

What's stopping $99.99?

I am not happy with the DeSu2 purchase at all, I waited for a long time and holded off getting the original, and yes I can afford it since I'm buying less games over all.

But $59.99 is nasty for an "enhanced port"

And yes, I'm buying desu 2 and I will buy Persona 5 even if it's $100, this is why Atlus is killing it in the business.

*sigh*

Vamphuntr

If you're not happy paying 60$ for Devil Survivor 2 then why do you buy it? The best solution is to not buy it to show them it's unreasonable to charge that much for an enhanced port. Outside of the music it's a much worse game than the first one too. The only reason I bought P4Q day one was because of the E3 deal. No way I'm paying 50-60$ for a 3DS game where I can get tons of good game on steam or even from Atlus eshop store sales for that price. I've bought the digital version of EO4 and the remake of EO from an ehsop sale too.

I think they will try to put a premium on everything from their big series no matter the platforms since they localize less worthwhile stuff from third parties and the stuff they choose is often low quality games that don't sell much. Creepy pervert games and cheap stuff from Furyu , Aquaplus and Spike Chunsoft isn't probably what is bringing the most money...

Xenoflare

If you're not happy paying 60$ for Devil Survivor 2 then why do you buy it? The best solution is to not buy it to show them it's unreasonable to charge that much for an enhanced port. Outside of the music it's a much worse game than the first one too. The only reason I bought P4Q day one was because of the E3 deal. No way I'm paying 50-60$ for a 3DS game where I can get tons of good game on steam or even from Atlus eshop store sales for that price. I've bought the digital version of EO4 and the remake of EO from an ehsop sale too.

I think they will try to put a premium on everything from their big series no matter the platforms since they localize less worthwhile stuff from third parties and the stuff they choose is often low quality games that don't sell much. Creepy pervert games and cheap stuff from Furyu , Aquaplus and Spike Chunsoft isn't probably what is bringing the most money...

They won't stop doing that. The $60 is simply the Atlus tax plus the weakening Canadian dollar. Our role in video game sales isn't that big at all on a grand scheme of things. Not to mention niche games. Every single game would likely to inflate. This is inevitable.

I'm buying it because I know I want it and I waited for long enough that I planned my purchases out. I really don't like buying games digitally if said game has a physical release, especially not with Nintendo's near draconian digital policies.

Vamphuntr

They won't stop doing that. The $60 is simply the Atlus tax plus the weakening Canadian dollar. Our role in video game sales isn't that big at all on a grand scheme of things. Not to mention niche games. Every single game would likely to inflate. This is inevitable.

I'm buying it because I know I want it and I waited for long enough that I planned my purchases out. I really don't like buying games digitally if said game has a physical release, especially not with Nintendo's near draconian digital policies.

They sure can backpedal if no one buy it. Capcom tried to charge an extra 10$ for RER 3DS and people threw a fit and they backpedaled. Sometimes it does backfire in their face too. SMT4 with the guide eventually found its way in the bargain bin. Being niche is not an excuse to charge an extra 10$. At first they tried to explain it with extras and quick localization then the extras went from a guide to a bunch of cheap cards and a month localization to a 6 month localization haha.

Next thing they will charge for frivolous DLC in their game. Pretty sure the P4 Dancing game will have DLC. Even PQ has some.

I just the don't see the appeal of complaining about how awful the situation is and buying it anyway.

Xenoflare

They sure can backpedal if no one buy it. Capcom tried to charge an extra 10$ for RER 3DS and people threw a fit and they backpedaled. Sometimes it does backfire in their face too. SMT4 with the guide eventually found its way in the bargain bin. Being niche is not an excuse to charge an extra 10$. At first they tried to explain it with extras and quick localization then the extras went from a guide to a bunch of cheap cards and a month localization to a 6 month localization haha.

Next thing they will charge for frivolous DLC in their game. Pretty sure the P4 Dancing game will have DLC. Even PQ has some.

I just the don't see the appeal of complaining about how awful the situation is and buying it anyway.

Desu 2 3d already has plenty of DLCs if you check the wikia.

Atlus and ArcSys also got away with on disc character & DLC packs on disc for ultimax and got it away with it, and people absolutely roasted Capcom for it. Sure 2 out of the 3 characters are free for the first week but the idea is still there.

Hell, some of the DLC music will even play in the Golden Arena mode even if you never bought them.

I'll have to say that Re:R's backpadeling is a anamoly and not the norm.

And I know I'm already off tagent here, but my old point is that the inflating price is just more evident because of the Atlus tax, even without it, the weakening dollar will make retailers to ramp up the prices. So it's $39.99 (US), and still will be $50 or more when it comes here

Edit: SMT IV already has paid DLC battle scenarios that aren't fully voiced, so this trend is here for a while. And yes I know it's pointless for me to bitch and yet cave in

Stat!

$120 would be hilarious.

Arkham has never had good DLC. The story DLC was like 2 hours in Arkham City after Rocksteady said they would provide a ton new story DLC. I was going to pick it up Day 1 but I think I'll pick it up on PC instead of PS4 and wait for a mega sale.

Think we'll get Amazon e3 deals this year? If we do, how easy is it to cancel Amazon orders?

My press release from WB Canada stated that the Premium Edition will be $114.99 here, while the Season Pass will be $44.99.

Out-fucking-rageous

Hyunkel6

$120 would be hilarious.

Arkham has never had good DLC. The story DLC was like 2 hours in Arkham City after Rocksteady said they would provide a ton new story DLC. I was going to pick it up Day 1 but I think I'll pick it up on PC instead of PS4 and wait for a mega sale.

Think we'll get Amazon e3 deals this year? If we do, how easy is it to cancel Amazon orders?
I may be in the minority, but I loved the Nightwing and Robin combat challenges dlcs. More so than the main game I think. But I do agree that the story dlcs were below average.

curb

Banned
I think I'm still a little glad that games have gone relatively untouched by inflation over the last 20 years. I'm still surprised that the US price of games hasn't gone up with AAA costs skyrocketing.

My free time for gaming is dwindling though so if I wasn't already cutting back my purchases due to a lack of free time, I would be due to rising game costs.

tiijj

I think I'm still a little glad that games have gone relatively untouched by inflation over the last 20 years. I'm still surprised that the US price of games hasn't gone up with AAA costs skyrocketing.

My free time for gaming is dwindling though so if I wasn't already cutting back my purchases due to a lack of free time, I would be due to rising game costs.

They sort of remedy that through DLC.

NolbertoS

In this day and age, I'm surprised not many Canadians don't invest in finding US 3rd party distributors who sells games close to US MSRP or cheaper when there's a sale. I recently convinced a friend from Montreal that it would be cheaper for him to head to the border to pick up his cheap games, than pay a premium price on Amazon Canada or Best Buy Canada. I know not all of us are blessed to live close to the US Border, but it makes a huge savings on games with GCU, black friday deals, etc compared to the price gouging Canadians will deal with until the dollar gets stronger.

Yeah, after pretty much every Arkham season pass having poor conceived value even at $30, I'm very curious to see what they're including to justify $40!

Sakujou

Banned
hi there, germanGAF here.

do you post vg+ deals here too?
i occasionally buy some stuff from there, but i dont have a specific page which shows me the deals/sales.

i bought megaman zero collection for ds at vg+. its a steal, since the collection is super rare and european pay as high as around 60euros for it.

khaaan

hi there, germanGAF here.

do you post vg+ deals here too?
i occasionally buy some stuff from there, but i dont have a specific page which shows me the deals/sales.

i bought megaman zero collection for ds at vg+. its a steal, since the collection is super rare and european pay as high as around 60euros for it.

Not usually, but they pop up from time to time. Since the thread covers all Canadian deals you would have to filter through all the non VGP deals.

"deals"...*sob*

They sort of remedy that through DLC.

If you compare games with movies they're kind of similar. The base price of a movie hasn't changed much over the years despite rising production costs, so they add in "options" like 3D, AVX, and IMAX (DLC). A few months later it's out on DVD/Blu-Ray/Digital, and down the line it gets a re-release with bonus features and/or in a bundle (GOTY). There's even an option for a "Superticket" which includes a movie ticket and a digital copy when it's out (season pass).

So why exactly are prices going to the $80 range when the Canadian dollar has actually been performing decently lately? Been abroad for a few months, is there some imminent collapse I'm missing here?

Ventara

So why exactly are prices going to the $80 range when the Canadian dollar has actually been performing decently lately? Been abroad for a few months, is there some imminent collapse I'm missing here?

We're at around 82 UScents to $1 CDN. I don't think that's decent.

Sealtest

The good thing is amazon and other sites are good at bringing prices down. I wont be buying anything unless the price is what it should be and not the inflated price.

Best thing you can say about Dominos is it's perfectly adequate

I dont know....maybe I just got a bad pizza but the last time i had Domino's (2 years ago probably), it was the most bland and lifeless pizza I had ever eaten. I ate 2 pieces and threw out the rest. Only pizza ever threw out

Top Bottom