• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

Kieli

I don't see what's the point of raising game prices to $75/80.

Won't people just not buy it anymore?

I guess they'll take a hit on sales, but more revenue. Probably someone did the math and it checks out.

kennah

I don't see what's the point of raising game prices to $75/80.

Won't people just not buy it anymore?

I guess they'll take a hit on sales, but more revenue. Probably someone did the math and it checks out.

They have to because of the dollar. If game prices are cheaper here than in the US, then people from the US would buy from here thanks to their strong dollar.

Elitist1945

I can honestly say I'm never buying another game so long as they are $75/80 - hell, even them being $70 is bad.
Of course I'm still getting Uncharted 4.

Thank God I have an immense backlog across PS3/PS4/XB1.

Madness

They have to because of the dollar. If game prices are cheaper here than in the US, then people from the US would buy from here thanks to their strong dollar.

That doesn't make sense though. It's a net positive to Canada and Canadian retailers by having Americans shop here, or buy their products here. Why? Because it's money coming from outside the country entering and circulating into the economy. I remember how costly N64 games were. I remember buying Mario Kart 64, Mortal Kombat 4 for over $100 CAD, Pokemon Stadium for $120. But the dollar was like 62-67 cents then. Our dollar is at 80 cents right now. Games are $7 more expensive here than in the south. All they're going to do is cause more of us to buy from the south then. You could save on tax, and use the price difference to ship a game North and it would probably be cheaper, especially off of eBay.

Look at how much US border towns have benefited from our dollar at parity. It makes no sense for me to try and make it more expensive for Americans to buy retail items or games here. Having them spend US cash would be such a huge gain.

Sealtest

So after looking at the star wars day sale on PSN I notice none of the DLC for the first force unleashed is on sale yet everything else star wars is, Maybe somehow they forgot who knows.

I just wish it was possible to contact them and find out why.

Trace

Banned
I'm straight up not buying a game for more than $70, especially when the exchange rate means that factoring in US currency it would be around $72, and our dollar is slowly rising. $75 or even $80 is insane and I hope they get punished by the consumers for this.

N° 2048

Guys & gals. Here's an early head's up.

I've been doing this GameDealsCanada thing for 6 years tomorrow. To celebrate, I'm giving away a $50 gift card. Just leave a comment.

http://gamedealscanada.com/2015/04/30/week-of-may-1-7-round-up/

Thanks everyone for all your support. You guys/gals helped make this happen with the deals that you post.

P.S - Deals round-up is not complete yet. Missing BestBuy.ca which I'll grab in the morning.

Awesome job, bud. One of my favorite sites.

Deal?
AC: Unity XboxOne digital code for 11.75USD http://gamedealdaily.com/xbox-one/assassins-creed-unity-full-game-download-2/

I've been doing this GameDealsCanada thing for 6 years tomorrow. To celebrate, I'm giving away a $50 gift card. Just leave a comment.

Thanks everyone for all your support. You guys/gals helped make this happen with the deals that you post.

P.S - Deals round-up is not complete yet. Missing BestBuy.ca which I'll grab in the morning.

Good job keeping up for 6 years man!
Your page has been a constant tab on my browser lately!

It should be an $80 gift card so you can get a game with it. :p

I kid, I kid. Congrats on 6 years.

Returners

Hey man, thanks for doing this. Highlighted a lot of deals that I missed.

can i register with a fake email address but use my gaf name on the disqus comment system?

I'm tempted to trade in my Vita for PSTV, any ps tv deals anywhere? I barely use it as a portable.

Or a better question is: realistically how much would I get for trading in my Vita?

I'm tempted to trade in my Vita for PSTV, any ps tv deals anywhere? I barely use it as a portable.

Or a better question is: realistically how much would I get for trading in my Vita?

Really? I'll buy you a PSTV and send it to you if you want to send me the Vita.

Seriously, if you're interested PM me.

Gila

If I return a product I bought through Bestbuy on my mastercard, can I get the refund on a gift card? (instead of refunding on my MC and then purchasing a same-value gc)

I remember a time when I would be excited to check out Future Shop/Best Buy flyer deals before the weekend.

If I return a product I bought through Bestbuy on my mastercard, can I get the refund on a gift card? (instead of refunding on my MC and then purchasing a same-value gc)

I imagine as long as you have the receipt they will do it. It's more of an exchange than a refund at that point.

15% off PSN credit and combining it with PS+ sales makes for an okay deal? http://boxeddeal.com/playstation-10-canadian-network-card-email-delivery.html

This says buy 5 and get 21% off. How is that deal?

Exchange rate says it would be $42 Canadian. For $50 in PSN credit. That's good.

I used to get stuff instantaneously off boxeddeals but now it's taking some time to verify. They say it could take up to 12 hours.

Think about it this way, instead of spending $79.99 on a new PSN game you can spend around $84 and get $100 of PSN credit instead. If the first one goes thorugh I think I will grab another batch of 5.

Dear ShippingGAF,

In the past month I've ordered a bunch of game stuff on ebay, nearly all international. All but 4 items have arrived (no tracking #), and most of them have been a full month now. I assume they're stuck in customs, but I have no way of knowing if they're lost.

Has anyone with tracking on international items noticed an especially long delay at customs lately? I've never had anything sit for this long. We have a lot of stuff shipped from Japan and most of it doesn't get checked, and the only ones that have been went through in a few days.

Dear ShippingGAF,

In the past month I've ordered a bunch of game stuff on ebay, nearly all international. All but 4 items have arrived (no tracking #), and most of them have been a full month now. I assume they're stuck in customs, but I have no way of knowing if they're lost.

Has anyone with tracking on international items noticed an especially long delay at customs lately? I've never had anything sit for this long. We have a lot of stuff shipped from Japan and most of it doesn't get checked, and the only ones that have been went through in a few days.

If you went with no tracking shipping from Japan this is not unusual. I ordered a N3DSXL dock from Japan back in January and it took over a month to get to my door.

If you went with no tracking shipping from Japan this is not unusual. I ordered a N3DSXL dock from Japan back in January and it took over a month to get to my door.

I buy games from Japan and crap from China all the time, almost never with tracking, and they usually arrive within a week or two. I've ordered 15 things international since the end of March (9 Japan, 4 China, 1 Israel, 1 US) and all but 4 arrived in the normal amount of time. It's just strange. I've opened requests on ebay letting the sellers know that it's very late but I don't want to ask for a refund if it's just a customs delay.

antibolo

Banned
Personally I try to never make any international orders without tracking. it's just more stressful and not worth the savings, in my opinion.

Dazzler

Just in Best Buy Robson in Vancouver on lunch there and they've got Watch Dogs for $15 new for Xbox One and PS4

Pretty sweet price if it's somehow eluded you until now

Dear ShippingGAF,

OK one of the games from Japan arrived today, 32 days after it was shipped. This is the longest I've seen for a SAL delivery from Japan.

I guess I'll sit tight for the other 3. :\

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I haven't received my Monoprice order after 3 weeks now... Anyone had issues from them lately?

We've had orders take 3-4 weeks from Monoprice before small stuff, like cases, screen protectors, HDMI cables. I wouldn't say it's out of the ordinary, at least by my luck.

It'll be $25-30 around Boxing Day (or even earlier).
No reason to spring on it earlier if you've waited up until now.

I'm really not enjoying waiting for price drops since they seem to take a lot longer these days. Dying Light is on my radar as well but I refuse to buy it "on sale" at $59. Fuck that.

Random photography question: are most $100 point and shoots nowadays better than most smartphone cameras?

On a trip last year I brought an old point and shoot but my phone camera outperformed it. Time to get a new one.

frequency

Thank you for your work over the years! It's been very helpful.

Top Bottom