• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

ohlawd

holy shit I might get Record Breaker a day early

y'know, provided I don't get hit with the redirect to new address crap

iiicon

Can anyone recommend a tablet for around $200-300? It'll be used mostly for comics and Hearthstone. Americans always seem to mention a refurbished iPad Mini 2 but that doesn't seem to be an option up here at the moment.

Daigr

Walmart in oshawa on taunton rd. has a bunch of external HDD on clearance for 50.00 each does not matter what their regular retail is.
All are marked to 50.00. Seagate, WD and some other brands. About a dozen or so there

Got a Seagate go flex 1 TB drive. Been looking for a drive for my wii-u for a long time and didn't want to spend alot on it.

I haven't received my Monoprice order after 3 weeks now... Anyone had issues from them lately?
I ordered HDMI cables at the beginning of the year, and after 3+ weeks I emailed them asking where they were. They apologized and sent out another set of cables with expedited shipping and they came in a day or two.

Then the original shipment came a couple days after that.

That doesn't make sense though. It's a net positive to Canada and Canadian retailers by having Americans shop here, or buy their products here. Why? Because it's money coming from outside the country entering and circulating into the economy.

Look at how much US border towns have benefited from our dollar at parity. It makes no sense for me to try and make it more expensive for Americans to buy retail items or games here. Having them spend US cash would be such a huge gain.

First of all, I don't think Americans are too keen on buying Canadian games with bilingual boxes.

Second, shipping from Canada will cost more than shipping from the US and any American can avoid sales taxes by buying from a different state.

Third, the markup on games isn't huge. The publisher price + distribution cost is over $50US on a console game. Retailers buy the games from the distributors. When the game doesn't sell they get a price protection credit from the publisher to clear the game. At that point, they don't lose money by selling it for less. They can't do that early unless the game massively undersell and then you'll see reduced shipments in the future.

For now, digital sales looks pretty good.

That doesn't make sense though. It's a net positive to Canada and Canadian retailers by having Americans shop here, or buy their products here. Why? Because it's money coming from outside the country entering and circulating into the economy. I remember how costly N64 games were. I remember buying Mario Kart 64, Mortal Kombat 4 for over $100 CAD, Pokemon Stadium for $120. But the dollar was like 62-67 cents then. Our dollar is at 80 cents right now. Games are $7 more expensive here than in the south. All they're going to do is cause more of us to buy from the south then. You could save on tax, and use the price difference to ship a game North and it would probably be cheaper, especially off of eBay.

Look at how much US border towns have benefited from our dollar at parity. It makes no sense for me to try and make it more expensive for Americans to buy retail items or games here. Having them spend US cash would be such a huge gain.

I think in many cases it's the distributors or the publishers marking prices up due to the exchange rate. So while border stores might see a rise in sales due to lowered prices, that would eat directly into the store margin as opposed to being shared equally. The number I saw in a few places was 25% margin for the store. Drop the price enough to make our games cheaper than the US equivalent, even before subtracting shipping/gas costs, and you're asking stores to take the full brunt of that $7-10 cut when their margin's under $20. And while I suppose EBGames could afford to lose 50% of their new-game revenue, they're not going to just because some US shoppers might decide to get in their car and drive across the border to buy video games.

That said, the general phenomenon of export sales rising when our dollar is low does actually happen. It's why manufacturing and resource companies like it when the dollar falls (within reason, anyways): it makes their goods cheaper on the world market and thus more attractive. I just don't think that necessarily applies when you're talking about individual consumers buying a few video games at a time.

tiijj

I've only seen it on the 3DS games. I don't think I've seen those even on wii u games. I wonder why they would do that.

Does anyone like the bilingual boxes?

I admit I've bought American versions just to be spared some ugly text added to ours.

I don't really care. The boxes are already kinda ruined by ESRB logos, the backs a mess of warnings and logos. Just making it clear that it's playable en francais is fine.

Zing

Banned
I'm not sure vanilla is worth it considering you can't play Xenoblade and don't have optimum experience for MH4 or Zelda:MM.
If you use 3D mode with any regularity, the regular isn't worth buying at any price over the new XL. The 3D on the new 3DS is nearly perfect.

Does anyone like the bilingual boxes?

I admit I've bought American versions just to be spared some ugly text added to ours.
In the PS2 era, I definitely avoided GBA, GameCube, and PS2 games with French on the package. I don't mind it on Wii/DS games.

iLLmAtlc

80 on call of duty is probably shrewd business. I doubt most players who are really into it would care, and there seems to be many.

I know personally if mgsv comes out at that price I probably have to buy day 1 regardless. =\

i-Lo

Wow@$80+Plus tax retail price becoming a reality. Add the numerous DLCs that will launch at a similarly inflated price and I say this is ludicrous. I still believe it's BS to charge the same price for digital as retail but I understand why they have to do it.

So overall, unless I am getting some form of discount, sayonara new games.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I'm excited to see the E3 deals this year at base cost of 79.99$ per game....

Might only pre-order 3DS games and wait for price-drops for console games due to past pre-order deals.

Game prices have increased by 35% since CAD drop.

woot

Tapejara

I'm excited to see the E3 deals this year at base cost of 79.99$ per game....

Might only pre-order 3DS games and wait for price-drops for console games due to past pre-order deals.

Game prices have increased by 35% since CAD drop.

woot

Oh God, it's even more depressing when you attatch a percentage ratio to it :(.

schlew

Walmart in oshawa on taunton rd. has a bunch of external HDD on clearance for 50.00 each does not matter what their regular retail is.
All are marked to 50.00. Seagate, WD and some other brands. About a dozen or so there

Got a Seagate go flex 1 TB drive. Been looking for a drive for my wii-u for a long time and didn't want to spend alot on it.

Wow, thanks! I'll go tonight to check it out! This is incredible.

Can anyone recommend a tablet for around $200-300? It'll be used mostly for comics and Hearthstone. Americans always seem to mention a refurbished iPad Mini 2 but that doesn't seem to be an option up here at the moment.

After much research a couple months ago I got a Lenovo A8-50. Use it to listen to online radio and watch movies while commuting. Also web surfing.

Works great! Screen is excellent quality and the speed is snappy. Lightweight, and the best part is the battery life.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Soooo the CAD is improving, though not much 1.22 CAD for a USD dpwn from 1.28, but they are still raising prices? What will they do when Canadians stop buying games new, blame it on the consumers, and raise the prices again?

G17

Great deal on MGSV for Xbox One. (Similar deal for Witcher 3 preorders on the Microsoft Store as well)

Pre-order: Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain (X1) for $59.99 ($15 off) & get a $10 digital code @ Microsoft Store - ow.ly/MqVcs

Gxgear

Just a heads up for people. I just ordered 5 codes and one of them was a dud. The code is simply invalid. This is a different error message than if you were to enter one that was already claimed. I'm guessing it could have been a different currency or a typo in the code.

Same thing happened to me. Live chat said it was a typo and fixed it.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
doubt they get any but ultra-commons but at least I might be able to get those for cheaper now

I've waited on most of the commons, so it'll be nice to throw in a Bowser, or something on a 20x points day to reach the $50/75 mark.

I'm glad SDM isn't getting out of games. They're basically the best value right now for Nintendo 1st party stuff.

Just a heads up for people. I just ordered 5 codes and one of them was a dud. The code is simply invalid. This is a different error message than if you were to enter one that was already claimed. I'm guessing it could have been a different currency or a typo in the code.

I had the same. They replaced my code quickly. I think they type them in manually and it was a typo.

zroid

Banned
I don't get why Shoppers hasn't sent me any emails about the new personalized offer loading system

do they just expect people to log in to their accounts and figure the whole thing out themselves?

oh and speaking of Shoppers I saw Smash Bros. Mario, Luigi, and Peach at one of my local stores this morning. meh

jzbluz

I don't get why Shoppers hasn't sent me any emails about the new personalized offer loading system

do they just expect people to log in to their accounts and figure the whole thing out themselves?

oh and speaking of Shoppers I saw Smash Bros. Mario, Luigi, and Peach at one of my local stores this morning. meh

They just sent me one a few minutes ago. Looks very convenient but at the same this makes it harder to try to game the system. I'm going to miss using a really good coupon a couple times a week.

As for deals, SDM has doritos for $1.88 for today and tomorrow.

might as well throw this here because you're all in Canada:

If anyone here is selling or wants to sell a GTX 970 I'll buy one from you, used or new.

schlew

Okay, Amazon.ca is never going to receive the Bloodborne strategy guide. :/

I spoke with customer service last week and they told me they'll be receiving the guide on May 28 (that or I'll be receiving my guide by May 28). They even bumped up my shipping option to premium for free just because I asked about this situation.

chrono01

I spoke with customer service last week and they told me they'll be receiving the guide on May 28 (that or I'll be receiving my guide by May 28). They even bumped up my shipping option to premium for free just because I asked about this situation.
That's...a long wait. :(

Granted, I'm not exactly going to use the guide for anything, aside from looking at the art and for the dynamic theme [as well as the collectability aspect of it], so I don't need it right away. Still, that's quite a delay.

Thanks for the information, BTW.

Stat!

I know its beating a dead horse but I completely forgot about this until last night (maybe or I rememebd that I had said it earlier).

For those that don't remember, Batman Arkham Asylum was actually sold at $40 at places like Best Buy because Canadian retailers didn't forsee this game selling well.

Now, its actually like $120 for the full version. Twice as much for the base game as it was so many years ago.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I know its beating a dead horse but I completely forgot about this until last night (maybe or I rememebd that I had said it earlier).

For those that don't remember, Batman Arkham Asylum was actually sold at $40 at places like Best Buy because Canadian retailers didn't forsee this game selling well.

Now, its actually like $120 for the full version. Twice as much for the base game as it was so many years ago.
I remember the same thing with the original Borderlands. Good times.

Nexus 7. Asus Vivotab Note 8 looks good if you want to spend slightly out of that price range (and want Windows 8.1 on it)

Edit: Or sign up for a RBC bank account, I think they're giving away iPad Mini 2s right now, heh.

Top Bottom