• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

Kazerei

Banned
Hey everyone, Persona Q Premium Edition is on clearance at Best Buy for 49.97. Been waiting for a price drop on the regular edition but since this premium edition is about the same price I just went for it. I also needed a proper 3DS pouch anyway.

There's still stock online.

Thanks, I ordered one! Also picked up Devil Survivor 2 to get that $10 off. Atlus games still expensive as fuck though.

Bluenoser

I'm wondering how Canadians are picking up the Witcher 3 for the best price.

At first I pre-ordered at Amazon.ca, and with day 1 shipping and tax, it was going to be about $87.

Then I went to the PSN store, and it's only $80.99 for the game and the expansion pass (valued at $24.99 normally) and no tax, so I ended up grabbing that and cancelling my Amazon pre-order. Has anyone found anything better? I'd prefer to have the disc to the digital version, but times are tough in the Canadian gaming market :/

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

At first I pre-ordered at Amazon.ca, and with day 1 shipping and tax, it was going to be about $87.

Then I went to the PSN store, and it's only $80.99 for the game and the expansion pass (valued at $24.99 normally) and no tax, so I ended up grabbing that and cancelling my Amazon pre-order. Has anyone found anything better? I'd prefer to have the disc to the digital version, but times are tough in the Canadian gaming market :/
Cheapest I was able to find it was for $40 during the E3 sales, although I ended up canceling it because I wanted the Collector's Edition u_u

Edit: Also for those that don't know, it's worth mentioning that the regular edition comes with a few physical extras like a map, soundtrack, The Witcher Universe: Compendium, a slipcover, and
STICKERS!

There's the $59.99 + $10 digital gift card from the Microsoft Store deal. I'd do that, but I'm still on the fence and don't shop at the Microsoft Store and wouldn't use the gift card.

kennah

Buy someone's video card Gog copy.

3 will be 5$ by the time I finish witcher 1 and 2

Sora_N

Cheapest I was able to find it was for $40 during the E3 sales, although I ended up canceling it because I wanted the Collector's Edition u_u

Edit: Also for those that don't know, it's worth mentioning that the regular edition comes with a few physical extras like a map, soundtrack, The Witcher Universe: Compendium, a slipcover, and
STICKERS!

The regular edition has extra stuff? Wow

Bluenoser

STICKERS!

What's an E3 sale? Is it still going on? $40 is a hell of a deal- PSN store only for that?

I have 160 points left on my Club Nintendo account and don't have a 3ds. If anyone wants any of these games PM me and I'll send you the code for free.

GONE!

Cheers!

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
What's an E3 sale? Is it still going on? $40 is a hell of a deal- PSN store only for that?
Two years in a row, Best Buy, Future Shop (RIP), and Amazon had a sale during E3 where you could pre order games for a pretty significant discount. No idea if we're getting it again this year though.

i-Jest

I have 160 points left on my Club Nintendo account and don't have a 3ds. If anyone wants any of these games PM me and I'll send you the code for free.

Capture.png

Cheers!

PM'd

Bluenoser

Two years in a row, Best Buy, Future Shop (RIP), and Amazon had a sale during E3 where you could pre order games for a pretty significant discount. No idea if we're getting it again this year though.

E3 sales happened at Amazon/Best Buy/Futureshop last year during E3. Many games were 30% off/$40. The sale was only during E3 though.

Thanks. So no Witcher 3 sale this year then, but maybe I'll look out for some future titles.

I was just in EB and overheard a conversation with the customer next to me. They refused to do a preorder for him because their computer was able to tell them that he had the same item preordered somewhere else. They could move the order to their location but not do a second preorder.

It may have been an amiibo but I'd didn't hear what it was for. Just passing that along.

I was just in EB and overheard a conversation with the customer next to me. They refused to do a preorder for him because their computer was able to tell them that he had the same item preordered somewhere else. They could move the order to their location but not do a second preorder.

It may have been an amiibo but I'd didn't hear what it was for. Just passing that along.

So their system is linked for that but they won't link inventory between their store computers. Cheeky.

So they're system is linked for that but they won't link inventory between their store computers. Cheeky.

I have to imagine that will change soon. The online store can check store inventory.

They seem to have been updating a lot over the past year.

Last year I had .15 cents store credit after I traded some stuff in and bought something and it actually ended up on my website account. They used to have to put it on a card or figure out a way to get rid of it.

i-Jest

So my PS3 (60GB) died on me for a second time now. I'm going to get it repaired but I'm definitely in the market for a new PS3. What and where is the cheapest I can get a PS3 new? What's the cheapest they go for used?

Can anyone help?

EDIT:

I'll have to change any preorders I have from Bestbuy and Amazon over to my new credit card. Should I just call in or is manually changing my credit card info for each order the best way to go?

Lexxism

EDIT:

I'll have to change any preorders I have from Bestbuy and Amazon over to my new credit card. Should I just call in or is manually changing my credit card info for each order the best way to go?
I dont think the site allows you to change your credit card info. You need to call them to change it.

Xenoflare

Anyone preordered Devil Survivor 2 at EB got a free poster? Just found out now on their site and the two people in front of me also didn't get one.

Roto13

It's the same price at Best Buy so can't really PM anyway lol. Used copy is 9.99 though so you can get that instead.

Ended up buying that used copy. I know from the PS3 version that the bonus missions with a new copy are not worth the $5 difference. :p

Now to wander around Chicago for a while and be like "Yeah, ok, that's enough" and put it down forever.

kinger

Can anyone help?

If you want to try your luck, I got mine on clearance last year from staples for ~$120-150 ( I don't remember the exact price, but around there). If you have the sku they'll probably look through their system for any stores that might still have stock for you. (if they have any left they might even be cheaper! PS. They weren't on display even on when they had any last year, and they didn't think they had any either, so your best bet is to have them check the system)

Anyone preordered Devil Survivor 2 at EB got a free poster? Just found out now on their site and the two people in front of me also didn't get one.

There's 2 possible reason here, as far as my experiences with EB goes, either they're "out" of the preorder bonus, or they never sent any to that store in the first place. You could call and ask though.

sikkinixx

So... I didn't order wolfenstein yesterday. Figuring a $2 discount wasn't a big deal

Today they raised the price to $25. So it would have been a $7. Fuckin hell. Well I guess I wait until it goes sub $10.

UberTag

So... I didn't order wolfenstein yesterday. Figuring a $2 discount wasn't a big deal

Today they raised the price to $25. So it would have been a $7. Fuckin hell. Well I guess I wait until it goes sub $10.
Yeah, we got hosed by the misleading discount and then the phantom surprise $5 surcharge due to the Loonie being shit sprung up and sniped us.
I almost don't want to buy it on principal now.

etta

my hard graphic balls
CAD:USD is at 1.20 now, hopefully it continues to decline. I wonder if Battlefront and Black Ops will revert to $69.99 if the ratio stabilizes over the next two months.

chrono01

CAD:USD is at 1.20 now, hopefully it continues to decline. I wonder if Battlefront and Black Ops will revert to $69.99 if the ratio stabilizes over the next two months.
From my experience, retailers are super-quick to increase our prices [when the dollar drops] but slow to revert them [when the dollar stabilizes].

I'm estimating it'll be a while before everything goes back to normal. :(

etta

my hard graphic balls
From my experience, retailers are super-quick to increase our prices [when the dollar drops] but slow to revert them [when the dollar stabilizes].

True, but when they see that Canadians all over stop buying new games at their ridiculous 80$ prices, I am sure they will change it quick. If it was a standard normal good, then yea, price would be stickier. But fortunately it is not, so hopefully, assuming the CAD stabilizes or appreciates, then we will be back at 59.99-69.99 prices by September.

tiijj

^ Their main reason/excuse is that the canadian dollar is not stable and they'll be waiting for it to stabilize before changing the price.

Ryne

Is there any evidence that Canadians have slowed down their purchases? I'm curious, the price hikes in a relatively short amount of time makes it seem that people will buy less games, but you never know.

CRA5H

Is there any evidence that Canadians have slowed down their purchases? I'm curious, the price hikes in a relatively short amount of time makes it seem that people will buy less games, but you never know.
Anecdotal evidence right here. I'm not even thinking about buying anymore games besides my BB/FS E3 preorders. I'm looking into diving into my backlog while I wait for new games to go down in price. That backlog includes the whole Mass Effect Series and a few Zelda 3DS and Pokemon Games.. Yeah I think I'm good for the next 2 years.

I haven't bought a new game on release since GTAV back in November. Prices are just too high

frequency

I've also skipped games I would have bought if the prices were not increased. Only games I'm getting now are from the FS/BB deals really.

I'm generally just planning to wind down on gaming and quit the hobby or only play older and retro games. It's too expensive for me and I don't love the hobby enough to justify the price tags. I've cancelled any plans to buy PS4/XB1 and spent that money on other things.

Maybe an exception for Nintendo games but they are spread out enough that I may be able to afford it. But even then only ones I am sure that I will get a lot of time out of. I'll be skipping Splatoon because it's $70 before tax. $60 was already pushing it. $70 ($80 for some) is just way (WAY) overkill. I would have bought that otherwise to see if Nintendo could make me like a shooter the same way Mario Kart makes me like a racing game when I am otherwise uninterested in the genre.

BadWolf

I'm generally just planning to wind down on gaming and quit the hobby or only play older and retro games. It's too expensive for me and I don't love the hobby enough to justify the price tags. I've cancelled any plans to buy PS4/XB1 and spent that money on other things.

Gaming is only expensive if you are impatient and need things day one.

If you can wait then it's not expensive at all.

frequency

Gaming is only expensive if you are impatient and need things day one.

If you can wait then it's not expensive at all.

Unless you like really niche stuff that if you don't get it soon will just go out of print. Or you're a Nintendo gamer.

Plus when things were $60, sales would go to $40, etc. If things are $80 then sales will be down to $60...

Both my local game store and eb games said that new games were still selling as much as they were before the price hike.

As for me, I used to buy many games day 1 but now I tend to wait for a sale(except for my E3 orders).

59.99$ + tax for Devil Survivor 2 is RIDICULOUS...

Top Bottom