• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

BadWolf

Unless you like really niche stuff that if you don't get it soon will just go out of print. Or you're a Nintendo gamer.

That is a very rare occurrence these days, and even then there is always the digital option.

If you are a Nintendo fan then their pricing should be nothing new to you.

You can quit if you want but the fact of the matter is that the vast majority of games out there can be played at very reasonable prices if you wait.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Except for Nintendo games, it's possible to play pretty much every game for $20 or less if you're patient enough. Niche stuff like Atlus or Aksys goes on sale on eShop/PSN regularly.

Yeah, if it's not by Nintendo, I just wait until it's uber cheap, and even Nintendo's stuff I tend to be lucky with getting them by luck for cheap also.

Last games I bought day 1 were Smash 4 on both Wii U and 3DS, and the former was the GC adapter bundle, not even knowing the rarity that would become. XD

I managed to get a great trade in deal for Bayonetta 2 for like $30, being that's how much I paid for the games I traded in. So good.

zroid

Banned
iPJaI9b.png

I just bought Project Cars for about $45 Canadian off Green Man Gaming.

Not sure why I was waiting for the PS4 version.

I need to start gaming on my PC more.

The new consoles swayed me for a while but the PC prices are ridiculous.

I just bought Project Cars for about $45 Canadian off Green Man Gaming.

Not sure why I was waiting for the PS4 version.

I need to start gaming on my PC more.

The new consoles swayed me for a while but the PC prices are ridiculous.

Yup, I got my Witcher 3 for 20-something last year on PC. I won't be able to max it out, but I'll damn well be able to outperform my PS4.

There's something psychological about PC gaming to me. If I can't max a game out (or very close to) I feel like I'm not getting a full experience and am tempted to go console, despite the fact that console graphics, especially for a game like Witcher, are equivalent to mostly medium-high settings on PC that I could easily do.

Yup, I got my Witcher 3 for 20-something last year on PC. I won't be able to max it out, but I'll damn well be able to outperform my PS4.

There's something psychological about PC gaming to me. If I can't max a game out (or very close to) I feel like I'm not getting a full experience and am tempted to go console, despite the fact that console graphics, especially for a game like Witcher, are equivalent to mostly medium-high settings on PC that I could easily do.

That's exactly how I keep thinking. Also, the fact that the new consoles were the new shiny thing around my apartment made me want to buy games specifically for them instead of considering PC.

I need to get out of that mindset.

Asking again, I'm looking for DVD cases that hold mini-discs for my GC collection as the boxes are a bit grungy.

Like these:

iES7Pe3YKfD9A.jpg

But black.

Specifically in Toronto? I can just buy regular cases at Dollarama and Staples, but I'd would prefer having ones that look more authentic.

Tapejara

Nintendo stuff:

Great Offers on Nintendo product!
----- EB GAMES -----

Get a Nintendo 3DS Game for $20!

April 22 - May 5: Get Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. or Fossil Fighters: Frontier for $20 when you buy either Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS or The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D.

Available from EB Games. See in-store or ebgames.ca for complete details. Availability may vary by location and while supplies last.

Free Game with a Wii U system!

May 1 - May 7: Buy a Wii U system and get a copy of Kirby and the Rainbow Curse for FREE!

Available from EB Games. See in-store or ebgames.ca for complete details. Availability may vary by location and while supplies last.

----- BEST BUY -----

Save $20 off Nintendo 3DS XL

May 1 - May 7: Save $20 when you buy a Nintendo 3DS XL system for $179.99*.

Available from Best Buy. See in-store or bestbuy.ca for complete details. Availability may vary by location and while supplies last.

*Based on MSRP.

http://www.nintendo.com/en_CA/whats...g3mPWi?eid=email_857066831_857849985_33498d08

Ondore

Walmart flyer is out: Master Chief Collection is $399 w/gift card starting tomorrow, and Alien Isolation/Advanced Warfare/Thief are listed on a "various PS4/XB1 games for $30" deal.

i-Jest

Anyone seen any good deal on Nintendo Wii U? I am looking into buying one.

No. I've not come across any recently. Keep an eye on the thread though. Also check out Nintendo's online store for any refurbished ones. I'm told they're pretty much new and a cheaper route to go. Have you done some of your videogame shopping at Shoppers Drug Mart? If so then rack up those Optimum Points for spending events. That's also an alternative way to get a console if you know which locations have them.

Roto13

Asking again, I'm looking for DVD cases that hold mini-discs for my GC collection as the boxes are a bit grungy.

Like these:

iES7Pe3YKfD9A.jpg

But black.

Specifically in Toronto? I can just buy regular cases at Dollarama and Staples, but I'd would prefer having ones that look more authentic.

Does EBGamestop still have GameCube games? Could buy some crap sports games or something for a dollar. (Depends on how grungy is too grungy for you, though.)

chrono01

True, but when they see that Canadians all over stop buying new games at their ridiculous 80$ prices, I am sure they will change it quick. If it was a standard normal good, then yea, price would be stickier. But fortunately it is not, so hopefully, assuming the CAD stabilizes or appreciates, then we will be back at 59.99-69.99 prices by September.

^ Their main reason/excuse is that the canadian dollar is not stable and they'll be waiting for it to stabilize before changing the price.
True enough.

Here's hoping things remain stable for a while so our dollar can normalize again. I'm really not interested in paying $80 for many of these new releases. :(

stolin

Maybe an exception for Nintendo games but they are spread out enough that I may be able to afford it. But even then only ones I am sure that I will get a lot of time out of. I'll be skipping Splatoon because it's $70 before tax. $60 was already pushing it. $70 ($80 for some) is just way (WAY) overkill.

Same here.. this is the first time that I will restrain on a Nintendo game because of price. This was one of the titles I opted out of FS E3 2014 deal, wanting to know more info first (it was really early back then). But now, $69.99.. hmm... I'll wait.

Sora_N

Same here.. this is the first time that I will restrain on a Nintendo game because of price. This was one of the titles I opted out of FS E3 2014 deal, wanting to know more info first (it was really early back then). But now, $69.99.. hmm... I'll wait.

Might cancel mine too. I think I don't want to pay $63 lol

mdubs

Banned
The worst thing about an NDP government in Alberta is that when they inevitably introduce a provincial sales-tax we'll all have to change our eshop region settings away from Alberta back to where we actually live :(

woooohooo ndp ndp ndp!

freaking oil companies whining about it. ugh. just eradicate that sector. bad for the earth, bad for humans, bad for canada.

SickBoy

Walmart flyer is out: Master Chief Collection is $399 w/gift card starting tomorrow, and Alien Isolation/Advanced Warfare/Thief are listed on a "various PS4/XB1 games for $30" deal.

I think Alien may have already been $30. I definitely saw it at that price somewhere this week. I'm really interested in the game, but I have such a backlog (and I know it'll eventually be that price regularly)... plus I'd like to rewatch Alien before playing the game. I last saw it 20+ years ago.

This is one of the reasons I talk myself down from the edge every time I start seriously considering a gaming PC. Back in PC gaming's scarier era, during the 3D graphics arms race, I felt like I spent way too much time optimizing my experience rather than playing games. I think the general standard of "lower quality" PC graphics is better today (i.e: minimum settings at decent resolution look OK), but I know I'd still be tweaking the heck out of stuff to make sure I was getting the best bang for my hardware buck.

The worst thing about an NDP government in Alberta is that when they inevitably introduce a provincial sales-tax we'll all have to change our eshop region settings away from Alberta back to where we actually live :(

Won't happen. Even if they're as stupid as some people want you to believe, they're not dumb enough to do that in the next four years. Plus, sales taxes kind of go against core NDP beliefs, because they're viewed as regressive. (But even if a PST was introduced in AB it would likely be 5% -- lower than anywhere else)

Returners

I think Alien may have already been $30. I definitely saw it at that price somewhere this week. I'm really interested in the game, but I have such a backlog (and I know it'll eventually be that price regularly)... plus I'd like to rewatch Alien before playing the game. I last saw it 20+ years ago.

I wonder if they would still have the Nostromo Edition available.

I like how your complaint technically is, "Damn NDP, we have to stop committing fraud!"

Top Bottom