• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

are there ever any "deals" on pc components?

I'm looking at doing a mid range build that will out perform my ps4 (i5, gtx 960 or 970) and it looks like i'll be paying twice what anyone in the US would pay

people on kijiji/craigslist unloading old gear seem to be charging full retail or 10 bucks off for their used shit, i'd rather just buy new at those prices :/

Video cards have been hit hard by the Canadian dollar. They're significantly higher than US prices.

Qwyjibo

I don't know if this will work at every Best Buy, but at the south London store because they have a tone of clearance games from Future Shop, they were selling them at half price. Basically anything in the gaming department that ended in $xx,95 or $xx,97 was being slashed in half. Worth a try for anyone willing to try it.
Any specific titles that you saw? I'm much closer to the North London BB so I should give that one a quick look too.

Adamastor

Any specific titles that you saw? I'm much closer to the North London BB so I should give that one a quick look too.
Not a ton of PS4/XB1 games, but a lot of PS3/360. I remember Metro, PES2014, Spec Ops, GoW: Ascention, Sleeping Dogs (although gone already), LA Noire, Red Dead Redemption... That's all I remember right now. But basically anything clearance they were doing half.

Xenoflare

It's really difficult for me to convince myself to pony up nearly $260 after tax for a "new" 3ds XL. I don't know if I just want to upgrade to a regular XL instead since every retailer is trying to get rid of them at $200 after tax.

Renewed

It's really difficult for me to convince myself to pony up nearly $260 after tax for a "new" 3ds XL. I don't know if I just want to upgrade to a regular XL instead since every retailer is trying to get rid of them at $200 after tax.

Maybe Chapters' 20% off with Visa Checkout will work with a new 3DS?

Zing

Banned
If you use 3D, there is no question. Spend the extra on the new version. Also, the new version is better built, has vastly superior speakers, and is significantly faster in the OS.

$260 is tough to swallow. Maybe wait for a trade in deal at EB? I did trade in when it was released and got the system for $40 out of pocket. You can save a lot of money since the trade in amount is not taxed.

zroid

Banned
the OS speed upgrade is probably the most noticeable and worthwhile improvement for me

the Stable 3D works great but I never had a problem maintaining the sweet spot with the old 3DS either... so it didn't really matter

Yasumi

Banned
Pretty nice haul. Final total was $48.96. Can't wait for Junji Ito's Cat Diary to release.
zOYgnS8.jpg

~$400+ to buy all pkm adventures starting from vol 1. Damn. Still deciding if I should buy them, or get a PS4 instead, or not buying anything at all...

zroid

Banned
~$400+ to buy all pkm adventures starting from vol 1. Damn. Still deciding if I should buy them, or get a PS4 instead, or not buying anything at all...

lol I had been borrowing them from the library, made it to like Volume 12 or so until I realized I didn't have a flying fucking clue what was going on anymore. So I dropped it :p

Yasumi

Banned
$400 for manga is a little much. If you're a fellow weeb, PS4 still lacks any real mid-budget Japanese software to make it worth the investment at the moment. Game prices also really suck right now. I'd recommend waiting.

farisr

Damn, that 20% has me real tempted to get a 3ds and get a pokemon game. But that's pretty much the only thing I see myself playing on it. I've never owned a handheld for that reason (only one game series I'm interested in), usually borrowed the system + game from a friend to play, but those days are gone. Really been itching to play one for years now.

Not to mention I have a current gen backlog for my consoles...

stn

Any good deals on:

Forza Horizon 2 (XB1)
Nintendo 3DS XL

Seems so long ago that Best Buy and Future Shop would hold weekly deals. So weak now.

kennah

Any good deals on:

Forza Horizon 2 (XB1)
Nintendo 3DS XL

Seems so long ago that Best Buy and Future Shop would hold weekly deals. So weak now.
If you read the last page you'd see a 20% off pretty much everything at chapters Indigo if you use Visa checkout.

stn

Amazon has the 3DS XL for $169. Don't do the Indigo deal, guys.

EDIT: Might not be the newest model but what's the difference?

farisr

Amazon has the 3DS XL for $169. Don't do the Indigo deal, guys.

EDIT: Might not be the newest model but what's the difference?

The new model supports games the older one doesn't.

Anyways, I've made the hard decision and resisted temptation. Not going for it. I barely have enough time to keep up with the console games I have, and it's not like I commute on buses or trains to work where I could make use of that time playing a handheld system.

I'll wait. Maybe, in the future by the time I get around to it, it'll be even cheaper to get and it'll be at a pricepoint where I won't feel bad getting it for just one franchise.

Jsheldon

This thread convinced me to get in on tr indigo deal! Didnt break the bank but got the special collectors Witcher 3 guide at a big discount ($25.xx tax in) shipped to a store down the street. Thanks for the peer pressure Canadian GAF ;)

Xenoflare

If you use 3D, there is no question. Spend the extra on the new version. Also, the new version is better built, has vastly superior speakers, and is significantly faster in the OS.

$260 is tough to swallow. Maybe wait for a trade in deal at EB? I did trade in when it was released and got the system for $40 out of pocket. You can save a lot of money since the trade in amount is not taxed.

I tried a demo model at best buy and it's really good. This is coming from someone who decided to get an OG two years ago over an old XL. The eye tracking 3D is real and the screen is better than the old XL too. Although I've seen people going crazy because the New XL somehow has batches with IPS *and* TN

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
The indigo deal is tempting me to get a Wii U but Zelda U is so far away...

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Splatoon is right around the corner... :D

It looks great but all of my friends want to get me into Guild Wars 2, and the only one that has a Wii U only uses it for Smash. I don't blame him tho.

Friends, I need US iTunes Store credit. Reliable stores online for this? Thanks!

Did you find anything for this? I just purchased a card off itunescarddelivery.com. It was delivered immediately by email, but with their markup (17.99 for 15) and Paypal's exchange rate it came to over $22.

curb

Banned
How's Disney Infinity 2.0? Amazon has it for 40 bucks. Kinda tempted.

First and foremost, it's a game aimed at kids. If you have no tolerance for gameplay that isn't AAA quality then look elsewhere. I think for anyone on GAF their enjoyment level with Infinity will be directly related to either their fondness for the properties or wanting to play a game with their kids. I love Marvel so I found a certain level of enjoyment in the decent-to-solid gameplay. There's a measure of variation in the quality levels between the playsets as well. I liked the Avengers set and the Guardians of the Galaxy set seems alright so far but the Spider-Man set seemed a little drab. If you have an ok PC or more recent iOS/Android device then you can download the 2.0 Toybox and get a feel for how it plays.

Zing

Banned
I tried a demo model at best buy and it's really good. This is coming from someone who decided to get an OG two years ago over an old XL. The eye tracking 3D is real and the screen is better than the old XL too. Although I've seen people going crazy because the New XL somehow has batches with IPS *and* TN
Yes, I also switched back to the OG because the 3D on the XL was too much effort. It's effortless on the new XL.

Ventara

So tempted to get ps4 for that price but my backlog on PC and PS3 is huge. Gaf, what should I do?

I'm in the same situation, though I think I'll be able to hold off. I've kinda convinced myself I don't REALLY want a PS4 until FF15 comes out.

XBP

Increase your backlog.

Convincing....

lol

I'm in the same situation, though I think I'll be able to hold off. I've kinda convinced myself I don't REALLY want a PS4 until FF15 comes out.

I was going to hold off until uncharted 4 as well. The only game I really want to play on it is bloodborne. Everything else I wanted to play is basically coming to PC as well. But this price might be the best we get for the next year given our exchange rate situation.

DJ_Lae

How's Disney Infinity 2.0? Amazon has it for 40 bucks. Kinda tempted.

Have you played the first one? The second is worse in almost every single way although it certainly has some neat character additions.

Unfortunately the singleplayer stuff is horribly generic and repetitive. Think The Incredibles section from the first Disney Infinity, just longer and more drawn out.

The toybox additions are okay although unless you're crazy into that stuff I still wouldn't do it. By far my most regretted purchase of last year, even my daughter would rather play the first game.

Top Bottom