• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

N° 2048

Magnus

Unknown if already posted, but I'm holding the EBGames game days flyer, dated May 16-31/

Bloodborne, Driveclub, LBP3 and Order:1886 all $40 new.

Evolve and Borderlands:Handsome (both systems), $45.

Surprised at the near-lack of interest.

Isn't $40 for Bloodborne pretty fucking sweet?

Magnus

Absolutely! I'll be hopping in on in this deal =] I can't find an online flyer to see it with my own eyes, though...

They've started handing them out at retail today.

I'm feeling stupid for trading 2 games in and paying $12 on top of that to get the game near launch, considering I've played it exactly once since then.

They've started handing them out at retail today.

I'm feeling stupid for trading 2 games in and paying $12 on top of that to get the game near launch, considering I've played it exactly once since then.

Damn, yeah, that's not fun. I'm slowly starting to adopt the "Don't buy games at launch" mantra into my life, and finding that it helps to avoid paying too much for a game. It's painful though, especially with Bloodborne since that's one of the reasons I bought a PS4 last year.

Btw, when does the Bloodborne sale start? May 16th, is it?

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Surprised at the near-lack of interest.

Isn't $40 for Bloodborne pretty fucking sweet?

Yup, I'm very tempted...

Would I like it if Dark Souls didn't really grab me? I loved the exploration and emphasis on deliberate gameplay, but I was put off by the somewhat clunky and slow combat and frustrating checkpoints forcing you to replay looong gameplay sections if you get killed by bosses (please don't ban me!).

N° 2048

Yup, I'm very tempted...

Would I like it if Dark Souls didn't really grab me? I loved the exploration and emphasis on deliberate gameplay, but I was put off by the somewhat clunky and slow combat and frustrating checkpoints forcing you to replay looong gameplay sections if you get killed by bosses (please don't ban me!).

I did not like Demon Souls or Dark Souls.

Bloodborne is different, much faster pace. I love it.

Yup, I'm very tempted...

It's not a frustrating checkpoint that forces you to replay looong gameplay sections.
You continue after you die, at the nearest spawn point. Same as almost any mulltiplayer online game. Also, it's never that long since you can always run from there to the boss without killing anything.

daftstar

Hey I have a question about the "Trade 3 and get $70 toward Witcher, Batman or Splatoon" promo at EB. It says minimum $10 trade value required and can be a tiered promotion. What does the latter mean? Games of lesser value can be added up to reach $10? Not familiar with how this stuff works..

By the way that Banana Republic deal on the last page doesn't work on their 50% off page anymore. Still works on regular price and some sale items.

Hey I have a question about the "Trade 3 and get $70 toward Witcher, Batman or Splatoon" promo at EB. It says minimum $10 trade value required and can be a tiered promotion. What does the latter mean? Games of lesser value can be added up to reach $10? Not familiar with how this stuff works..

Tiered means you can trade 1 game for $70/3 and 2 games for 2/3 of $70.

Jamaal23

Neo Member
If anyone in the Ottawa-ish area is still looking for a $99 PS Vita Borderlands 2 Bundle from Walmart there is one left at the Renfrew location. Could be useful if trying to PM at another store as well.

Are you talking about their 40% off promo?

They have a "50% off select styles" page which accepted the 40% code and the 25% signup code. The 40% code no longer works on that page.

Their regular pages and the "sale" pages still accept the 40% code (as long as it's not one of the exceptions).

Ventara

Fuck, maybe I should've tried price matching the Vita at BB. I was just there today, too. I didn't have anything to show, though, so whatever.

daftstar

Anyone who hasn't gotten a PS4 yet, tempted to get one this week? TLoU bundle is back to $399 at Walmart and the extra 10% off price match at BestBuy looks like a good deal.

Was holding off for the Arkham Knight bundle but that's $499 for just one extra game.. Dammit what do?

Sora_N

I like how they are basically using the same list at EB, I'm just gonna trade in some crap and get Splatoon.

I basically haven't touched the games I want to trade in anyways.

i-Jest

Got myself a Vita from Walmart with the $100 price (thanks NeoGAF). Anyone know the cheapest place to buy a 64 GB memory card?

People would probably recommend Super UFO or Nippon-Yasan first. Although the dollar is slowly recovering I suspect importing anything expensive is still a turn off for most. Try any local video game shops that sell imported videogames. I vaguely remember seeing 64GB cards at A&C games way back before they moved. I think they even made a Facebook post about it.

What's going on with Bestbuy.ca? It's been down for me all day, and was a couple days ago as well.

Whoa! You found a secret page!
Well, sort of.

Ok, not really. If you'd like though, this can be our little secret. We're experiencing technical issues with the Some site, purpose we're working hard to fix 'em as fast as possible.

Thanks for visiting BestBuy.ca, we hope to see you again soon!

The Best Buy Team.

Lothars

I was able to price match with bestbuy here in regina, The closest walmart that had vita's is moose jaw. I was happy to get it price matched and I was really surprised they did for me.

I just realized the Vita 2000 has micro USB instead of the proprietary thing. Okay yeah, keeping the 2000 and selling the 1000. I've never used the BST thread but if anyone would like to buy my 1000 for a good price please PM me.

In what way though?

The colors on the new screen are more neutral, the OLED one has too much blue in it. The new screen also smudges a lot less in comparison and is easier to clean.

Colors aren't nearly as vibrant or as sharp, blacks aren't neaaaarly as deep.

It's still nice, mind you, and if you have no frame of reference then there's really nothing to worry about. At work we had both though, and it was pretty unanimous that the OLED was preferable.

I think the colours can be a matter of taste--OLED is definitely more vibrant, but technically the LCD is more accurate. Black levels are definitely better on OLED. If you're not looking at them side by side, though, chances are you won't notice the difference. This is especially true if you've never seen a Vita 1000 before. It's a perfectly acceptable screen.

Colors aren't nearly as vibrant or as sharp, blacks aren't neaaaarly as deep.

It's still nice, mind you, and if you have no frame of reference then there's really nothing to worry about. At work we had both though, and it was pretty unanimous that the OLED was preferable.

Yeah and the point is that all of those colors are wrong and inaccurate. The screen does not accurately reproduce the colors of the original image.

If you want a darker more saturated image, sure that's fine. But that's not better. It's just a preference.

Returners

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Yesterday I went in, 4 systems (5 maybe?) sitting on the shelf. Thought to myself, ok, I can think about it a little longer. Apparently they had been at that price for nearly a week. See this post this morning, run in, sure enough, price was jacked back up. Ugh. I need to stop thinking, and just buy.

damn dude. I would've just bought and return later.

Ventara

Yesterday I went in, 4 systems (5 maybe?) sitting on the shelf. Thought to myself, ok, I can think about it a little longer. Apparently they had been at that price for nearly a week. See this post this morning, run in, sure enough, price was jacked back up. Ugh. I need to stop thinking, and just buy.

Dude, you saw a $100 Vita and thought to yourself "I can think about it a little longer?" Where was your RFD spirit?! You have much to learn.

N° 2048

Nice. I wish I knew I could have done that but I'll not complain about getting it for the price I got it for.

Damn. Well where would be the best place to get it from in case something happens?

Get the 64GB card? I'm probably going to just get one at the local mom'n'pop shop.

Aww man, you might be able to find one on Kijiji for around the same price. Even @ $110 or $120 I would have gotten it.

Thanks No_Style for the post below!!

Top Bottom