• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

krae_man

Anyone have any suggestions for good cheap PC controllers?

I need 4 for something and would rather not spend $250+ for Xbox ones.

Wired would be fine.

London drugs is selling refurbished xbox one with kinect for 250

http://www.londondrugs.com/Xbox-One.../L8592388,default,pd.html?start=19&q=xbox one

I think its instore only but there seems to be several of them available in BC according to the store stock checker

Thanks for the head's up! You are both delicious and helpful.

I managed to do an ISPU for one and it came with download codes for Dance Central Spotlight and Ryse, making it an extra spicy deal. I was a bit dismayed at the initial firmware download and install times though. Is it normal for the Forza Horizon 2 Fast and Furious tie in to take 20-ish minutes to install? I recall the PS4 being much faster with its stock drive.

1RZHFKx.png

make sure you ask at your eb games - one i went to yesterday had this bnib

Wired would be fine.

Do you have any existing 360 or PS3 controllers? With a wireless dongle(360) or Bluetooth adapter(for the PS3), you can save yourself a bunch of money.

Madness

Wired would be fine.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/microsof...29.htm?affiliate_id=58025&click_id=1285051113

NCIX has wired 360 PC/Windows controllers for $29 right now. Cheapest I could find. Now that I've used the Xbox One controllers, it's a bit tough to go back to the 360 one, but the sticks, triggers are still top notch for PC controller gaming. If I were you, I'd also try PM'ing at best buy to save a couple bucks more with the 10% price beat etc. Otherwise, just order from NCIX.

Did anyone else's copy of The Witcher 3 for PS4 come in that weak plastic shrink wrap that is normally used to re-seal opened games? I got it from shop.ca by the way.

Ryne

Offtopic: Any ideas for a good driving school that you won't feel funny in because you are a decade older than everyone else?

I'm looking for one in the GTA.

N° 2048

Offtopic: Any ideas for a good driving school that you won't feel funny in because you are a decade older than everyone else?

Huh, why do you care how you look? :s

Who cares how old they are, you're there to drive not make best friends.

Zing

Banned

I had to take the damn driving test when I moved to Ontario despite 17 years of driving experience. It was annoying. I actually barely passed the exam, though. They expect you to know stuff you would never know unless you had taken their class. For example, the examiner just said "pull over". I was expected to know that "pull over" meant park on the side of the road, put on hazard flashers and parking brake. It was bullshit.

The thing is you can look up these information on what you are expected to do during the test on mto website... But I guess no one knows about that.

stn

Link. The person who runs it is a family friend, I can at least vouch that you'll have a relaxed and pleasant experience. Also inexpensive relative to the other schools.

EDIT: I've often been told that the demographic attending includes older minorities. Might be what you're looking for.

Ryne

Huh, why do you care how you look? :s

Who cares how old they are, you're there to drive not make best friends.
I'm socially awkward, put me in a room with people 10+ years younger than me I turn into a mess. I'd rather feel more comfortable around people my age.

It doesn't help that I'm a fairly tall and built man, so I draw attention.

I had to take the damn driving test when I moved to Ontario despite 17 years of driving experience. It was annoying. I actually barely passed the exam, though. They expect you to know stuff you would never know unless you had taken their class. For example, the examiner just said "pull over". I was expected to know that "pull over" meant park on the side of the road, put on hazard flashers and parking brake. It was bullshit.

I'm hoping that lessons will help me find this stuff out before the test. I still have 8 months to go for my G1 exit test if I pass a course, which should give me plenty of time.

Where did you take your test? I read/heard going up north is the better way to take the test because it is easier, but I like making things difficult for myself so I might do mines in Brampton/Toronto.

The thing is you can look up these information on what you are expected to do during the test on mto website... But I guess no one knows about that.
I never drove before, so taking lessons would be my introduction to driving. Playing F1 games doesn't count unfortunately.

My friends/family cars are too small for me to fit in, I can't keep my feet near the pedals without hitting the steering wheels with my knees. I'm funnily built that way.

Link. The person who runs it is a family friend, I can at least vouch that you'll have a relaxed and pleasant experience. Also inexpensive relative to the other schools.

EDIT: I've often been told that the demographic attending includes older minorities. Might be what you're looking for.

I'll take a look definitely. Thanks for the link. Hopefully their hours mesh with mine, because my current job has shitty hours.

And what's up with the prices of driving schools? Young Drivers wants me to spend nearly a grand on their most comprehensive course, while other schools I researched wanted less than half. Why is there such a discrepancy?

Exactly.

stn

Don't do Young Drivers, dude. When I got my license way back I went with a lesser known school, cost me $300. I needed only around 12 hours in the car. My point is that the quality was good enough and it taught me well.

Ryne

Don't do Young Drivers, dude. When I got my license way back I went with a lesser known school, cost me $300. I needed only around 12 hours in the car. My point is that the quality was good enough and it taught me well.

Yeah, I'm not doing young drivers. I was just shopping around and was a bit shocked at their price.

Quick

Banned
I'm hoping that lessons will help me find this stuff out before the test. I still have 8 months to go for my G1 exit test if I pass a course, which should give me plenty of time.

Where did you take your test? I read/heard going up north is the better way to take the test because it is easier, but I like making things difficult for myself so I might do mines in Brampton/Toronto.

I knew someone who did this. IIRC what he said, driving on roads with little to no traffic and slow speeds (under 60km). I forgot which town up north, but I'm sure a quick Google search will give you some idea of where people go to.

N° 2048

The most overpriced driving school I've ever seen.

My kid sister and brother need to do this. I'll bookmark this.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Absolutely.

Pretty much pay for the certificate to give to insurance and nothing more. Most schools are shit anyways, learn from a family member or something.

cameron

And what's up with the prices of driving schools? Young Drivers wants me to spend nearly a grand on their most comprehensive course, while other schools I researched wanted less than half. Why is there such a discrepancy?

Young Drivers has well known branding, frequent advertising, and decent facilities, so they can charge more. But the quality of instruction varies greatly between instructors. My neighbour was a driving school instructor at a smaller mom & pop school and he would rant about YD students coming to him after they failed their G1 exit test. The issue was they came to him for refresher in-car lessons to help them pass, but they knew fuck all.

If you go to a lesser known school that's been around for years, the benefit is that the smaller volume of students means they tend to be more accommodating to your schedule. And they're not in a rush to end your in-car lesson so they can bounce to the next one. Also, the better ones rely more on word of mouth rather than advertising. If they suck at teaching, no one will recommend them. There are shitty smaller schools too, so be wary.

Don't concern yourself too much about which road test location is easier. Just keep practicing to become competent and build your confidence. Test location will be irrelevant.

I knew someone who did this. IIRC what he said, driving on roads with little to no traffic and slow speeds (under 60km). I forgot which town up north, but I'm sure a quick Google search will give you some idea of where people go to.

I did something like this for my full G test. From Windsor, took it in Chatham (45 min from there). Highest speed is 70 km. So easy.

I did mine in Brampton. Highest speed was 50-60 km/h, 40km/h near school zone (remember to look around for the sign when driving)

jholmes

I went up to Barrie and I didn't do that because it's easier (or because I have any business in Barrie) but because there was basically no wait there, and everywhere else had a super long wait.

kennah

That skin looks awesome.

Hopefully snagging a good deal on Kijiji tonight.

Ps3 160gig, 2 controllers, Bluetooth headset. Comes with Mw2, tlou, uc 2 and 3, saints row 3, and a couple sports games.

$120.

Good deal? I've never played any of the games. Can I skip uncharted 1 and go right into 2?

iLLmAtlc

Didn't know large driving schools was such a big thing. I took my lessons with this Chinese guy who barely spoke English and it worked for me >_>

big_z

Don't worry about it, you won't be there to make friends and chit chat, no one is. You go, do your work and leave. Maybe you'll get a short break depending on class length but you can just look at your phone.

The 10 hours or whatever they require driving is the bad part depending on instructor personality.

Pro tip: Schedule the driving test for right after your last session with the instructor. Makes passing very easy.

Did anyone else's copy of The Witcher 3 for PS4 come in that weak plastic shrink wrap that is normally used to re-seal opened games? I got it from shop.ca by the way.

All copies come with the cheap wrap because the manual is outside the box. There's also a cardboard sleeve over the plastic wrap.

Ventara

That skin looks awesome.

Hopefully snagging a good deal on Kijiji tonight.

Ps3 160gig, 2 controllers, Bluetooth headset. Comes with Mw2, tlou, uc 2 and 3, saints row 3, and a couple sports games.

$120.

Good deal? I've never played any of the games. Can I skip uncharted 1 and go right into 2?

I'd say good deal. Yeah, you can skip 1, though you'll miss some minor references, and if you ever do decide to play 1, 2 will spoil a thing or two for you.

Ventara

An incredible and charming platformer for those who haven't played! Underrated for sure.

vs

Puppeteer is another platformer that's all style and no substance.

Puppeteer is what happens when you blow all your budget into your art people and hire a monkey to handle the gameplay

Urgh, who should I listen to? That's a great price, but is the game a dud? Maybe I should save my money. But it's $10. What do I do?

Wording from this tweet makes it seem like EB won't be selling Disney Infinity 2.0 for Vita after May 31st. Game is already OOS online.

Man, that was quick. Maybe I should try to get my hands on a copy.

DJ_Lae

Put me in the so much style, absolutely no substance camp for Puppeteer. I'm glad it was a PS+ freebie.

For $10...well, I'd say wait until it's $5 or less during a PSN sale. Is there a demo? Because the actual platforming in the game makes LBP's physics feel good.

Top Bottom