• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
For anyone that cares:

2o3750H.png

20% off Visa checkout is already over.

Speaking of a Canadian B/S/T thread, I made a posting in the main B/S/T thread for a Canon lens. I figured I'd link to it for my fellow Canuks.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=166190395&postcount=11027

Currently on sale.

http://estore.canon.ca/shop/en-CA/c...-zoom-lenses/ef-24-70-28l-ii-usm#.VW4LHk9VhBc

Sweet lens though.

Windows 10 Free Upgrade? Who's getting it? I stayed clear of 8 with my current PC. Have they fixed things enough with 8 or will people regret not keeping 7?

MisterJoynt

Neo Member
Currently on sale.

Windows 10 Free Upgrade? Who's getting it? I stayed clear of 8 with my current PC. Have they fixed things enough with 8 or will people regret not keeping 7?

Windows 8.1 actually runs super well as an operating system and has optimized many programs - that alone is worth the upgrade. The UI is still meh (start screen) but Windows 10 looks to finally do away with that so that makes me happy.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
8, 8.1 and 10 are miles ahead of 7; reduced boot time alone is significant enough that you shouldn't still be on 7 if you can get hands on 8.

There's no RTM build of W10 yet, but so far it's another linear improvement with the best search yet and some handy improvements to File Explorer.

why hasn't the gtx 970 gone down in price after the 980ti announcement? it's still $412 oh gosh.

$400+ for a 970 is freaking pricey. i know, 980 ti is what, $830? my goodness.

8, 8.1 and 10 are miles ahead of 7; reduced boot time alone is significant enough that you shouldn't still be on 7 if you can get hands on 8.

There's no RTM build of W10 yet, but so far it's another linear improvement with the best search yet and some handy improvements to File Explorer.

RTM build?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
RTM build?
Release To Manufacturing. We only have preview builds to gauge quality off of, and although there probably won't be any major features added from now until release, some things are still changing rapidly (icons, how the dark theme works, Microsoft Edge (IE replacement)'s performance, Windows Store, etc.)

Robby322

why hasn't the gtx 970 gone down in price after the 980ti announcement? it's still $412 oh gosh.

$400+ for a 970 is freaking pricey. i know, 980 ti is what, $830? my goodness.
I am thinking the price drops will come once AMD announces their new cards, which is sounding like is going to happen on the 16th.

zroid

Banned
Best Buy getting kind of overkill with the packaging

the funniest thing was that I had Splatoon and 3 A***** shipping at the same time from Best Buy. They sent me two of these boxes.

I thought, okay, they put one A***** and Splatoon in one box and the other two A***** in the other.

No. 3 A***** in one box, and Splatoon in the other box. :lol

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
I can confirm that this was going on in Winnipeg. My younger brother who lives in Winnipeg told me about it yesterday. His understanding is that Superstore is getting out of selling video games.

whoa if true ill keep an eye out then because they may lower other game proces eventually

the funniest thing was that I had Splatoon and 3 A***** shipping at the same time from Best Buy. They sent me two of these boxes.

I thought, okay, they put one A***** and Splatoon in one box and the other two A***** in the other.

No. 3 A***** in one box, and Splatoon in the other box. :lol

is amiibo seriously censored?

kennah

is amiibo seriously censored?

Some people are taking the request to have amiibo talk moved to another thread very seriously.

Surprise surprise, this thread didn't die like the Amiibo people were saying it would :p

Amiibo talk isn't banned from this thread by any means, it was just getting ridiculous.

I boot like once every 3 months, basically only when there is so many patches to apply it takes gigs of hard drive.

As long as I have to use 7 at work, it'd rather not have to deal with another UI.

I still haven't found anyone that can look me straight in the eye and say 8.1 is any good.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I boot like once every 3 months, basically only when there is so many patches to apply it takes gigs of hard drive.

As long as I have to use 7 at work, it'd rather not have to deal with another UI.

I still haven't found anyone that can look me straight in the eye and say 8.1 is any good.
8.1 is fine. You never have to use the Metro interface at all.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
No, but apparently Amiibo fans are still touchy about being asked to start their own thread for the lion's share of discussion on that topic.
For such a cut and dry decision that did what it was supposed to do in terms of giving this thread room to breathe and resulting in a super successful and centralized discussion for a topic of magnitude that warrants it's own thread..

..this is strange.

terrible

Banned

8.1 is basically Windows 7 but with faster booting and better overall performance. I was slow to upgrade but have found there to be zero negatives since I have.

BadWolf

8.1 is basically Windows 7 but with faster booting and better overall performance. I was slow to upgrade but have found there to be zero negatives since I have.

It came with my new PC a while back and I still can't figure out what all the bitching and moaning was about, I just use it like any other windows.

Firestorm

Checked with a mod and posted in the OT thread but I just wanted to make sure no one else was planning on putting together a thread with all the info for the E3 preorder deals (if we even get them). Having one spot with all the information about when you are charged, what store X does better than Y and all the rest would, hopefully, cut down on the amount of questions that pop up repeatedly during the sale.
What questions pop up? Given that Future Shop is gone now I think the choice will be pretty clear. Best Buy unless Amazon is significantly better and people are willing to check off the "I AGREE TO GET THIS GAME A WEEK AFTER EVERYONE ELSE" disclaimer.

Checked with a mod and posted in the OT thread but I just wanted to make sure no one else was planning on putting together a thread with all the info for the E3 preorder deals (if we even get them). Having one spot with all the information about when you are charged, what store X does better than Y and all the rest would, hopefully, cut down on the amount of questions that pop up repeatedly during the sale.

i feel like all that talk is fine to live here. its what this thread is for, and god knows this one could use a jolt of actual deal talk

Best Buy getting kind of overkill with the packaging

I seriously thought there was some special pre order bonus that I wasn't aware of or BB shipped the wrong item. I picked up The Witcher at my post office at the same time and it came in the standard packaging envelope.

espher

8.1 is fantastic, and the Start Screen is fantastic (though I turned it off on actual startup).

Assume 10 is 8.1 improved, it will definitely be worth it.

Ryne

Day one. If it is anything like Windows7/8 I will love it.

I never tried the tech previews, but everything I have read about windows 10 has been positive.

Running the Win 10 tech preview now. It's different. A lot more than I was expecting.

I will upgrade day one. I plan to run 8.1 concurrently on my HDD while I run 10 on my SSD. I will just move my essential apps over to the SSD and use HDD for storage.

frequency

Really too bad Canadian-amiibo-GAF is still bitter.
Seriously look at the size of that thread... We would have been pushed to Thread 6 already.

I like amiibos. I don't find a lot of value in much of the discussion personally though. But it sure is nice when people mention availability here once in a while like Conezays did.

I see it like I do games. You mention availability and sales in this thread but keep it relatively clean because there are OTs for game discussion. I don't participate in many OTs either because discussion doesn't really interest me most of the time. But I still appreciate anyone mentioning any deals/availability (if hard to find) in here.

Top Bottom