• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

krae_man

Gamers club has been nothing but 2x points on games for years. I remember when the emails always had a coupon of some kind in them. I remember getting Golden Abyss free for preordering my bits with them. Now we get squat.

Even if the promo is say 2400 points/game, that's crap since you have to use them on a future purchase, not the same one.

i-Jest

Gamers club has been nothing but 2x points on games for years. I remember when the emails always had a coupon of some kind in them. I remember getting Golden Abyss free for preordering my bits with them. Now we get squat.

Even if the promo is say 2400 points/game, that's crap since you have to use them on a future purchase, not the same one.

We're hoping Amazon continues to offer E3 discounts this year. I'm hoping other retailers, like Walmart and EB Games, decide to do E3 sales. The more retailers doing it, the better off we may potentially be. Walmart prides itself on doing things cheaper than the competition. EB Games usually doesn't waste preorder opportunities. Both retailers offer reasonable discounts, if not deep ones, would make Bestbuy think twice about pulling this extra points for games bullshit.

We're hoping Amazon continues to offer E3 discounts this year. I'm hoping other retailers, like Walmart and EB Games, decide to do E3 sales. The more retailers doing it, the better off we may potentially be. Walmart prides itself on doing things cheaper than the competition. EB Games usually doesn't waste preorder opportunities. Both retailers offer reasonable discounts, if not deep ones, would make Bestbuy think twice about pulling this extra points for games bullshit.

EBGames in general seems to be the retailer least likely to put on sales. Outside of Game Days and Black Friday/Boxing Day, EBGames rarely seems to discount anything.

Re: Best Buy: worth noting that they've done points discounts for E3 before, even when Future Shop was offering a straight percentage off. The points discount at least matched the FS discount in theory (ignoring tax and the limited use of credit), but it was definitely points. (Note for anyone skimming the thread: this is a 2013 discount, we still don't know what the 2015 discount is)

EDIT: Placeholder page for Best Buy's E3 offer is up.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Re: Best Buy: worth noting that they've done points discounts for E3 before, even when Future Shop was offering a straight percentage off. The points discount at least matched the FS discount in theory (ignoring tax and the limited use of credit), but it was definitely points. (Note for anyone skimming the thread: this is a 2013 discount, we still don't know what the 2015 discount is)
It wasn't equivalent at all, even ignoring the tax. BB was essentially B3G1F (get 4 games for $180) while the FS deal was essentially B2G1F (get 3 games for $120).

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
EBGames in general seems to be the retailer least likely to put on sales. Outside of Game Days and Black Friday/Boxing Day, EBGames rarely seems to discount anything.

EDIT: Placeholder page for Best Buy's E3 offer is up.
Son of a bitch. It's gonna be points ain't it? Amazon please save us!

khaaan

At least Best Buy is doing pre-order price guarantee...I guess that's something.

Edit: Do I have to sign up for Gamers Club separately?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
At least Best Buy is doing pre-order price guarantee...I guess that's something.

They always do pre-order price guarantee but that doesn't mean if the price goes down they'll add a discount that is no longer available to that new lower price. Amazon will but BB will dick most around then a clueless CSR will give it to a lucky few.

Yes, Gamers Club is a separate sign-up from Reward Zone. Why? Who the hell knows.

Also, I'd HOPE Best Buy was doing the pre-order price guarantee, seeing as how that's their standard policy for everything. It won't save you if BB does a subsequent sale on a game you've pre-ordered, as they compare against your post-E3 discount price, not the MSRP. This is in contrast to the way Amazon did it last year, where the discount was on the whole order and so each game was still listed at MSRP (and thus would benefit from any price reductions on individual titles before release).

This is a big reason why I'll be going with Amazon this year unless they're not doing the E3 promo or have changed it significantly from last year. Best Buy forcing me to pick up from a post office is another big reason.

It wasn't equivalent at all, even ignoring the tax. BB was essentially B3G1F (get 4 games for $180) while the FS deal was essentially B2G1F (get 3 games for $120).

I don't think any of my FS games last year ended up costing $40 each...certainly not the $69 ones.

I don't think any of my FS games last year ended up costing $40 each...certainly not the $69 ones.

Back in 2013, they would have, which was what we were discussing in the quoted post. I even managed to score Persona 5 PS3 from Best Buy for $34.99 last year. Actually, last year I lucked out for the most part. I pre-ordered seven games with an MSRP of $69.99 (all from Amazon) and only Halo: MCC and Dragon Age were over $42 after discount.

Back in 2013, they would have, which was what we were discussing in the quoted post. I even managed to score Persona 5 PS3 from Best Buy for $34.99 last year. Actually, last year I lucked out for the most part. I pre-ordered seven games with an MSRP of $69.99 (all from Amazon) and only Halo: MCC and Dragon Age were over $42 after discount.

ah, my bad

Tapejara

I managed to get some good deals from Amazon's E3 deals last year. Still have Rainbow Six + some Nintendo games coming up from that deal. Hopefully the deals are somewhat comparable this year.

Also, is $79.99 going to be the price for games going forward? Every new pre-order I've seen has gone up at that price, but $59.99 USD is ~$74.99 CAD at the moment.

mdubs

Banned
If Best buy just offers points for their rewards program in loo of a proper discount then they can fly a kite.

For one it's more expensive in the long run then simply getting money strait off because you end up paying more in taxes

More importantly you can only use their reward coupons in stores which is wack. What good is that supposed to do for people like me who's nearest best buy is far enough away as to be an huge pain in the ass to get to? It's simply too inconvenient to be practical
Rip gaming in Canada if this is the case. The last great saviour will be gone

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What were the Amazon deals like in previous years? I don't remember.

If the best we're getting is RZ points though..

giphy.gif

QaaQer

not to sound like a broken record in this thread, but for the second time today I have to mention Costco. Best prices on beef, amazing quality. I regularly eat steak now because of the fantastic price on rib steaks and strip loin.

Just an FYI, they use needle tenderized beef which poses a health risk. Cook to 165F.

Leeness

Not super relevant but you're my go to collection of Canadians...

Anyone with Shaw on Demand know what happened to the CTV selection in TV? It used to have like 10+ pages of shows, now it only has 3.

My mom was watching season 4 of Person of Interest, only a couple episodes from the end, and now it's vanished and she's really upset :(

I'm going to call them tomorrow regardless, but... :(

Anyone with Shaw on Demand know what happened to the CTV selection in TV? It used to have like 10+ pages of shows, now it only has 3.
I've got Shaw. I kinda always thought that most prime time shows they posted on VOD were a few days after original air date and only up for 3-4 weeks max, but I'm not sure what their official policy is.

I ended up canceling a ton of my last year e3 pre-orders. My CC would expire before half of them would even release, and the rest ended up being cheaper on PSN with + discounts.

I hope something good happens this year because with these insane prices if there's no good e3 deals I'll be sitting it out until price drops 3 months down the line lol.

I remember a BestBuy customer service rep telling me the reason they stopped giving out extra reward points for game preorders was it was difficult to remove points for returned games. It was too easy to exploit.

Hopefully the issue still exists; would prefer an actual discount to lower the tax cost on the games. 15% tax rate is a killer.

ahdurian

I ended up canceling a ton of my last year e3 pre-orders. My CC would expire before half of them would even release, and the rest ended up being cheaper on PSN with + discounts.

I hope something good happens this year because with these insane prices if there's no good e3 deals I'll be sitting it out until price drops 3 months down the line lol.

i ordered like close to 1800$ in preorders.
only about 500$ of those haven't released yet, and half of the remaining 1300$ was returned

Leeness

My assumption is that they're moving all those OD stuff to their own streaming platforms?

I've got Shaw. I kinda always thought that most prime time shows they posted on VOD were a few days after original air date and only up for 3-4 weeks max, but I'm not sure what their official policy is.

Perhaps that's it. I guess most shows ended the first week of May, it's the end of the first week of June, so that would be a month. I haven't watched a whole season on there before so I wasn't aware that they did that.

:( too bad. My poor mom, she hates watching things on computers. I'll figure out another way for her, I guess.

Thanks both!

Yup, and the other issue I find the past couple years has been the disappointing supposed-to-be AAA type of games that turned out to be huge let downs. Not even worth $40 In some cases. I too cancelled a bunch of e3 orders unless it was a "sure thing" game of awesomeness for my tastes.

Perhaps that's it. I guess most shows ended the first week of May, it's the end of the first week of June, so that would be a month. I haven't watched a whole season on there before so I wasn't aware that they did that.

:( too bad. My poor mom, she hates watching things on computers. I'll figure out another way for her, I guess.

Thanks both!

Have you considered iTunes? Couple a dollars an episode over an Apple TV, would make your mom happy :)

Yeah. This was a lot like my experience. I still like having the preorders as backup just in case I can't get it for cheaper by any other means.

That Target PSN dollars sale last year worked out well for me.

Yasumi

Banned
Ordered my weekend pass for Windsor Comicon in August. Looking forward to seeing Tara Platt, Yuri Lowenthal, and Vic Mignogna. Hopefully the dealers room gets some good stuff. It's going to hurt my wallet so much more than Anime North.

Renewed

Ordered my weekend pass for Windsor Comicon in August. Looking forward to seeing Tara Platt, Yuri Lowenthal, and Vic Mignogna. Hopefully the dealers room gets some good stuff. It's going to hurt my wallet so much more than Anime North.

I don't think I bought much at Anime North.... whatever little time I had I didn't see anything left that I wanted. Just one Gunpla and I was done.

Thankfully saved me for the day Splatoon dropped. And especially in the coming days....

Quick

Banned
Saw the price of an item I bought less than 30 days ago on Amazon.ca drop in price. What are the chances Amazon refunds me or credits me the difference?

zroid

Banned
Saw the price of an item I bought less than 30 days ago on Amazon.ca drop in price. What are the chances Amazon refunds me or credits me the difference?

in my experience they generally do it if you ask in a live chat session

you can also threaten to buy it again and return it, that usually makes them concede since they don't really want to deal with that

Quick

Banned
They do it if it's like within two weeks, but you can try and maybe get lucky.

I got this response.

in my experience they generally do it if you ask in a live chat session

you can also threaten to buy it again and return it, that usually makes them concede since they don't really want to deal with that

And I was offered to make a return and to repurchase it. I might do it, but the price difference isn't too big a deal ($20).

baconcow

I just had this happen a couple months ago. The Amazon.ca rep told me their policy was 7 days (I suspected not business days, butn1 week). They also claimed it is generally handled automatically. More than that will depend on the support representative you get.

Top Bottom