• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

Ryne

I guess it really does depend on the rep. When I bought the special edition midnight forces xbox one controller last december it dropped in price 5 or so days after. I asked a rep over live chat and they told me that they had a 9 day policy after receipt of shipment to price match.

Roto13

Should have known better than to stay home for the UPS guy. Of course he was just going to leave a slip and not even try.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Should have known better than to stay home for the UPS guy. Of course he was just going to leave a slip and not even try.
Of course they don't try because more often than not nobody will be home during the day. If they spend a couple of minutes waiting at the door before leaving the slip at every one of their stops then they'd never be able to hit all of the stops they're supposed to. I'm surprised people still don't understand this.

Want to ensure you get your package? Leave your door open or leave a big sign saying you're home and waiting for the package.

Roto13

Of course they don't try because more often than not nobody will be home during the day. If they spend a couple of minutes waiting at the door before leaving the slip at every one of their stops then they'd never be able to hit all of the stops they're supposed to. I'm surprised people still don't understand this.

Want to ensure you get your package? Leave your door open or leave a big sign saying you're home and waiting for the package.

They could buzz me. I do live in an apartment.

Fuzzy

They could buzz me. I do live in an apartment.
Once again, wasting time more often than not. UPS is the worst one for not attempting deliveries. CP and Purolator always rings the bell and waits a minute or two for me, UPS never does.

Roto13

Once again, wasting time more often than not. UPS is the worst one for not attempting deliveries. CP and Purolator always rings the bell and waits a minute or two for me, UPS never does.

Delivering things is their entire reason to exist. I'm not interested in excuses for why it's so terribly inconvenient for them to try.

Any of y'all playing Witcher?

I need a new rpg, but 69.99 new is really pushing it. Going to comb kijiji for anything used, but I might just drop the 80 bucks.

bit of a noob on this but say i wanted a great custom built PC for gaming but dont know anything about certain parts and putting it together, are there any decent sites/stores that can do it for me, preferably Canadian i guess?

I need a new rpg, but 69.99 new is really pushing it. Going to comb kijiji for anything used, but I might just drop the 80 bucks.

What platform are you looking at?

On PC you can get it on GMG VIP for I think $45 CAD, and you can get it on Nuuvem for $40 but you'll need to use a VPN.

The console versions haven't budged much

bit of a noob on this but say i wanted a great custom built PC for gaming but dont know anything about certain parts and putting it together, are there any decent sites/stores that can do it for me, preferably Canadian i guess?

NCIX is really awesome. Canada Computers is fine as well. I built my PC 3 years ago and I got all my stuff from NCIX

ohlawd

you can get your $70 out of it, easy.

combat's pretty ass tho. world's freaking huge but there's a whole lotta nothing in there but you get a horse and he's pretty fast. loading's pretty bad when you fast travel and die but that's it.

you should only care about the quest lines. some of those are real fucking good. all engaging and whatnot

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

Bought a digital Xbox One code for 50$ CAD from Buy/Sell neoGAF thread on like same week of its launch.

Yeah, PS4 is what I'm looking at unfortunately.

combat's pretty ass tho. world's freaking huge but there's a whole lotta nothing in there but you get a horse and he's pretty fast. loading's pretty bad when you fast travel and die but that's it.

you should only care about the quest lines. some of those are real fucking good. all engaging and whatnot
Yeah the story looks really cool. I've been playing Bloodborne non-stop for a bit now and I wasn't expecting the combat in Witcher to be anything mind-blowing. Just looking for an engaging time-sink.
Bought a digital Xbox One code for 50$ CAD from Buy/Sell neoGAF thread on like same week of its launch.
Might consider this option too.

Yeah, PS4 is what I'm looking at unfortunately.

Yeah the story looks really cool. I've been playing Bloodborne non-stop for a bit now and I wasn't expecting the combat in Witcher to be anything mind-blowing. Just looking for an engaging time-sink.

Might consider this option too.
It was around $60 on Amazon a few days ago and there was a 3rd party seller that wasn't charging tax for $55 +5 shipping.

Would have paid $60 for it, but I don't foresee having the gaming time to delve into the game properly until the fall.

What platform are you looking at?

On PC you can get it on GMG VIP for I think $45 CAD, and you can get it on Nuuvem for $40 but you'll need to use a VPN.

NCIX is really awesome. Canada Computers is fine as well. I built my PC 3 years ago and I got all my stuff from NCIX
thanks, another thing, should i bother get a steam account using USA address settings for cheaper games (if they are cheaper than the CAD prices), or does steam not allow for that?

explodet

That's where you're wrong, the appearance of trying to deliver things is.
Delivery has NOTHING to do with the Delivery Business.

futurama_s03e21_05.jpg

Image, people. Image!

ohlawd

New to Canada? lol

Go to Amazon.com and then Amazon.ca

Tell me if the prices are similar in any shape and form.

There are countless deals in US, I have actually noticed that within a month of new game release you can buy it for less than 60$. Canadian prices sucks. I get that the dollar is weak and all. But at least give us a proper sale damn it.

gee, where'd that come from? I thought you were claiming joke post because you couldn't believe the console version went on sale already >_>

but yeah ok

thanks, another thing, should i bother get a steam account using USA address settings for cheaper games (if they are cheaper than the CAD prices), or does steam not allow for that?

Just stick to the Canadian Steam. Generally most games aren't even upmarked by that much. Like, if a game is 9.99 on the US Steam, it'll be 10.99 or something on Canadian Steam

For new games you generally have a lot better purchasing options anyway. Like I mentioned before, GMG and Nuuvem essentially become your best bets for new games. Maybe even Gamesplanet to some extent.

In the past few years, Steam has had its thunder stolen by a lot of other online retailers. I'm not even remotely interested in the Steam summer sale this year, because PC game sales are just seemingly ubiquitous and never-ending now a days.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
gee, where'd that come from? I thought you were claiming joke post because you couldn't believe the console version went on sale already >_>

but yeah ok

ohh lol my bad.

I said joke post as in no way will that price going to carry over in Canada for at least few more months.

Um. What the hell are you talking about? Combat is not ass. It's actually really good. "Whole lotta nothing" in the world? Um, no. Wrong again. There's a TON to explore and find. And not just quantity...the quality is VERY high throughout. Side quests are some of the best I've seen in RPG's. And there's great environmental variety too.

But yeah, Meta of 93 for a game that has combat and an open world that suck.

Edit: I knew I recognized your name from somewhere. You're the same guy who said this: "UC2's only good part was Chloe's ass". Brutal.

Vibranium

Banned
Just stick to the Canadian Steam. Generally most games aren't even upmarked by that much. Like, if a game is 9.99 on the US Steam, it'll be 10.99 or something on Canadian Steam

For new games you generally have a lot better purchasing options anyway. Like I mentioned before, GMG and Nuuvem essentially become your best bets for new games. Maybe even Gamesplanet to some extent.

In the past few years, Steam has had its thunder stolen by a lot of other online retailers. I'm not even remotely interested in the Steam summer sale this year, because PC game sales are just seemingly ubiquitous and never-ending now a days.

Only problem is when you want to get games that can only be bought through Steam for that version, like Rockstar, CDPR, Ubisoft, Telltale, etc. It can be expensive and I wish these companies would offer Steam codes through retailers...

iLLmAtlc

Sums up my thoughts. If you base value on hours, 70 is worth it easily. I'm pretty sure I'm in the 30-40 hour range, I dunno how to check, and I'm maybe 20% done the quests, if that. It's that big.

Vamphuntr

Only problem is when you want to get games that can only be bought through Steam for that version, like Rockstar, CDPR, Ubisoft, Telltale, etc. It can be expensive and I wish these companies would offer Steam codes through retailers...

Steam takes a cut from sales so the big publishers wants you to migrate to their platforms so that they can get 100% of the sale. Rockstar had to offer both versions since they don't have a diverse enough portfolio to have people download their social club crap.

Fuzzy

I've got a PS4 copy and while it's good, I'm not really feeling it. Not much of an RPG guy myself, so I'd be willing to part with it. I'm in Guelph, though, but it's doable if you're interested.
If you both came to the TO-GAF meetup next week that would fix any distance problems. ;)

Sora_N

Best Buy is giving me a damn headache.

I emailed to change shipping for an order, they keep saying that the item has shipped (Batman).

No IT HASN'T. I actually ordered something a year ago June 10, 2014 (Bullet Storm) which shipped. I'm pretty sure the morons are confusing that with this week.

I know that they didn't ship because my credit card is not even valid lol, I also need to change that. GOD.

Also in their email, they are pretty sneaky, the last #2 means yes to the phone survey I believe.

We advised to please contact our customer service at 1-866-237-8289 option 1,1,3,2.

EDIT: So apparently when I canceled something in the order last year, someone fucked up and canceled Batman too.

I just sent an email that is massive detailing how blah blah didn't cancel etc. and now I have to deal with that. I even reordered and gave them my new order # so they can adjust the price for me, because I am going to make them.

If they refuse, not a huge loss for me I guess. I wasn't that sure about it anyways.

ohlawd

Um. What the hell are you talking about? Combat is not ass. It's actually really good. "Whole lotta nothing" in the world? Um, no. Wrong again. There's a TON to explore and find. And not just quantity...the quality is VERY high throughout. Side quests are some of the best I've seen in RPG's. And there's great environmental variety too.

But yeah, Meta of 93 for a game that has combat and an open world that suck.

Edit: I knew I recognized your name from somewhere. You're the same guy who said this: "UC2's only good part was Chloe's ass". Brutal.

damn, you got me. there's a shitload of padding in Witcher 3. Don't bullshit me. if you're sitting there thinking that all the question marks you see in your map all contain high quality shit like "wow, there's a neat deep story behind this burned down castle wall" or "ooh a tomb? might find good loot here" I don't think we played the same game. have you even been to Skellige yet? all those points of interests in the water? the majority of those amount to nothing

why should I defend the combat? it's not even God of War deep (what a low bar) lol. in good conscience I cannot defend the weird decision to have Geralt pirouette everytime and everywhere in battle. it ruins the flow of combat, especially in mobs. eventually you have access to some broken shit down the Axii and Igni lines but at that point, I burnt (huehuehue) up on combat when I could have had a more pleasant time during the early and midgame

I praised the quests the game offered. what more do you want? there was this one contract where I had to kill something so I did then the contract giver asked what the monster was like. I told him the truth and the monster he described was different from reality but there were similarities so it was understandable how he made that mistake. you know what he did? he docked my pay in half because I was hired to hunt X, not Y. I was shook. just little things like those make me appreciate the work CDPR put in. I'm not even gonna talk about the main quests. they're great, yeah.

I finished the game and I loved it. but hide behind those scores. I didn't know I had to agree that everything about the game is good

Shoppers may be the last retailer in Canada with $50 Pro Controllers, except the location I went to was sold out.

Darn you Source for cancelling my $30 order from last year.

Does anyone know if the Source does returns on (sealed) videogames? Their return policy is unclear, mentioning defects: "We will exchange defective software for the same title. We do not accept returns or offer refunds on non-defective titles and gaming consoles that have been opened."

Does this just mean they don't return non-defective titles that are opened, or they don't return games at all aside from defects?

Quick

Banned
Does anyone know if the Source does returns on (sealed) videogames? Their return policy is unclear, mentioning defects: "We will exchange defective software for the same title. We do not accept returns or offer refunds on non-defective titles and gaming consoles that have been opened."

Does this just mean they don't return non-defective titles that are opened, or they don't return games at all aside from defects?

From my understanding of any store policy, as long as your game or movie is sealed and you have a receipt, you get a full refund within their specific return period.

Top Bottom