• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

Iced

The sad thing is, they have my money regardless of how outrageously they price it. Just please don't tell them I said that.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I'm too poor to keep up with these price hikes. I'll have to be super-selective with what game I buy, and I won't buy any non-Nintendo game at full price anymore. Good thing I have a huge backlog.

It's too bad, because these outrageous prices mean I'm way less hyped for E3. Good thing I'm (partly) out of this overconsumption frenzy I guess, but heh. I liked it. :(

Iced

So you're saying they should be charging $100 then?

Nope, I don't think that's what I'm saying at all.

I'm too poor to keep up with these price hikes. I'll have to be super-selective with what game I buy, and I won't buy any non-Nintendo game at full price anymore. Good thing I have a huge backlog.

It's too bad, because these outrageous prices mean I'm way less hyped for E3. Good thing I'm (partly) out of this overconsumption frenzy I guess, but heh. I liked it. :(

Same here. I've curbed my spending habits tremendously this year. Having a huge backlog certainly helps!

How long would the repair process take if I am in Vancouver myself?

No idea. I am from Ontario and I believe it was only 2 weeks round trip. This was the address they told me to send it to when I needed my GamePad fixed:

Nintendo of Canada
Attn. Repairs
2925 VIRTUAL WAY SUITE 150
VANCOUVER, BC V5M4X5

I really regret not pre-ordering Mario Maker last year. I made a second order with Xenoblade and Woolly World for if FS didn't give me them from their wrong name listing. I used Star Fox as filler for the third :(

Dazzler

worst part of the recent price hikes is that I'm tempted to buy almost any game now once it hits $40. My brain has conditioned itself to just see the bargain and want to spend

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
worst part of the recent price hikes is that I'm tempted to buy almost any game now once it hits $40. My brain has conditioned itself to just see the bargain and want to spend
How's the Steam Sale working out for ya?

the3ye

Anyone knows where Nintendo ship 3DS to repair for Canadian stores?

The new XL is really one of the worst device I owned in terms of quality assurance, exchanged 3 times due to problems and the most recent one has a stuck pixel.

There is a Nintendo of Canada in Vancouver, but I don't know if they do repairs there.
They used to do walk-in repairs. Back in 2012 I took my 3DS XL with stuck pixel and they repaired it (or gave me new one?) in like 40minutes. I think there's no option for walk-in when you open RO on their website. E-mail them after and ask for it.

Xenoflare

They used to do walk-in repairs. Back in 2012 I took my 3DS XL with stuck pixel and they repaired it (or gave me new one?) in like 40minutes. I think there's no option for walk-in when you open RO on their website. E-mail them after and ask for it.

Wow, I did not know that. I probably gonna call the 1-800 number first and see if they know since it seems the Richmond branch is closed for now.

What do I need to bring if the walk-in option is possible? Do I need the box too?

the3ye

Wow, I did not know that. I probably gonna call the 1-800 number first and see if they know since it seems the Richmond branch is closed for now.

What do I need to bring if the walk-in option is possible? Do I need the box too?
Nope just the console, unless they changed something now.
Do not send your original system box, game case, or any other product
box. They will not be returned.
I took it to the HQ at Virtual Way, their repair lab was there. You need RO anyway.

Even with the codes, I think all of my previous pre-orders are still at a lower price since I preordered stuff before they price hiked everything even more. This is fucked.

DJ_Lae

I think this is pretty much the apex of shit value in video games. One for the record books.

Still beats the SNES/N64 days, although there I'm not sure if there was as much of a difference due to the Canadian dollar when stacked on top of the horrendous prices of cartridges.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
It was hard enough swallowing $69.99 for Splatoon (meanwhile Europe gets it as a "budget" title) but Mario Maker @ $75? O_______O

Time for a new hobby I guess.

I noticed that bestbuy also increased the price of Ghibli's blu-rays next Tuesday. Spirited Away and The Cat Returns were listed as $24.99 for the longest time, now they are both $29.99. Been waiting too long for those two to skip them now.

What a mess.

DJ_Lae

I noticed that bestbuy also increased the price of Ghibli's blu-rays next Tuesday. Spirited Away and The Cat Returns were listed as $24.99 for the longest time, now they are both $29.99. Been waiting too long for those two to skip them now.

If you have a Costco membership they're still $25 there - and they were out earlier this week in Edmonton at least. Occasionally Costco will flub a release date, which always amuses me.

Tagg9

It was hard enough swallowing $69.99 for Splatoon (meanwhile Europe gets it as a "budget" title) but Mario Maker @ $75? O_______O

What a mess.

Thanks to Amazon's screw up last year, I literally got Splatoon for $41.82! Here's hoping they're just as incompetent this time round.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member

What a mess.

Son of a bitch! I was also hoping to get them a bit cheaper. Everything I want is now expensive. D:

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I know...Movies/blu rays had been mostly unaffected until now :/

I remember reading this thread a while back and someone mentioning Superstore clearing out their games section as they were going to possibly stop selling games? I was at 2 locations this week in MB and looked out of curiosity. They had some older games plus Dragon Age on sale but I noticed they had both also stocked up on new copies of Splatoon. Maybe they're not giving up their game section? With Futureshop gone and HMV not selling games anymore, our options for retail are getting smaller each year. Not interested in a digital future personally.

I noticed my Walmart got rid of it's Vita section altogether.

Yasumi

Banned
Thanks to Amazon's screw up last year, I literally got Splatoon for $41.82! Here's hoping they're just as incompetent this time round.
Amazon screwups are the best, since they usually honer them (other than that $15 Order LE). P4D LE for $28 off, with tax, was great.

zroid

Banned

Actually I don't think that was part of the screw-up haha

They just had it priced at $60, which is what they thought it would be at the time, and you got 30% off like you should have

the real screw up was when they gave people like 40% off for some strange reason

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I think someone might make a separate thread but I'm personally fine with leaving E3 purchase talk in this thread.

Yeah. It's not that we will be buying as much as in previous years anyway. :(

Amazon screwups are the best, since they usually honer them (other than that $15 Order LE). P4D LE for $28 off, with tax, was great.

They actually did honor the $15 Order LE if you contacted them in the online chat. Got the game for $15, beat it in a weekend, and then sold it for much more than that.

the real screw up was when they gave people like 40% off for some strange reason

45% actually. And it's because they applied the 30% off, but then accidentally set it up so you could get another 15% off. I have a handful of games still coming at less than $40 after tax. Pre-ordered 15 games at that price.

No_Style

I read the thread title and look at the past few pages and all the hope being placed on Amazon.ca. I just hope I'm not seeing the same people complaining about their shipping times. Because then I would hate you. A lot.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I read the thread title and look at the past few pages and all the hope being placed on Amazon.ca. I just hope I'm not seeing the same people complaining about their shipping times. Because then I would hate you. A lot.
I'll think it's funny but not as funny as the people complaining about $80 games that are willing to spend money on Prime.

sikkinixx

those with Prime, is two day shipping legit? any instances where you got stuff earlier or later than that?

I'm in Vancouver and if it ships from their Vancouver warehouse I get it next day with prime. Otherwise it's always been two days.

Also, adding the same day shipping is $5 I think. And that took less than 4 hours to get to my door. Was awesome.

Beck

those with Prime, is two day shipping legit? any instances where you got stuff earlier or later than that?

I'm in Winnipeg and I love Prime's 2-day shipping. Sometimes packages arrive a day early. For example, I ordered a package late Monday and received it early Wednesday. I've yet to receive something late.

untitled-1isprv.png

Best Buy doesn't even have to do their own PR.

http://plug-in.bestbuy.ca/t5/Video-Gaming/E3-2015-FAQ/td-p/117622

2 day shipping is definitely legit. I pre-ordered Operation Abyss on Amazon and chose the free 2 day shipping. It arrived on release day. Sometimes I'll order manga and it'll come in the next day as well. I guess a lot of it depends on what time of day you order your stuff.

Then again I also live in Toronto and their warehouse is only like an hour or two drive away from me.

Top Bottom