• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

jred2k

It's getting harder and harder to pass on that Xbox One deal. I just don't want to get one now and then end up having even better deals in the fall.

Mimosa97

Just bought Unity for 20$ on amazon and I don't even own a PS4 ... I've never done that before, buying a game on a platform I don't own yet.

So yeah I don't feel like waiting till Black Friday to buy a PS4 but I also don't feel like buying the old model for 450$. Decisions decisions ...

flkraven

It's getting harder and harder to pass on that Xbox One deal. I just don't want to get one now and then end up having even better deals in the fall.

May as well hold out till fall 2016 for even better deals.

In all seriousness, I would just jump on this deal. Even if its 20-50 cheaper in the fall, you atleast got 3 or 4 months of gaming done in the mean time. Right now is about as desperate as MS can get, so it's a great time to get an XB1.

i-Jest

The video game section of Craigslist and Kijiji is infested with amiibo for sale

Convinced the majority of sales of them are just jerks looking to flip them for a profit

As bad as it is, nothing's really stopping them from doing that. Consumers need to learn some patience and wait for restocks. In a better world, Nintendo would be pumping out Amiibo to meet demand but we don't live in that world so either buy at inflated values or wait for a restock.

Just bought Unity for 20$ on amazon and I don't even own a PS4 ... I've never done that before, buying a game on a platform I don't own yet.

So yeah I don't feel like waiting till Black Friday to buy a PS4 but I also don't feel like buying the old model for 450$. Decisions decisions ...

I did that for my Wii games. I knew I wanted a Wii U but I wasn't willing to wait to acquire games after I got the system. So glad I didn't. Getting Xenoblade (Wii), Pandora's Tower, and The Last Story is rather costly last time I checked.

Mimosa97

I did that for my Wii games. I knew I wanted a Wii U but I wasn't willing to wait to acquire games after I got the system. So glad I didn't. Getting Xenoblade (Wii), Pandora's Tower, and The Last Story is rather costly last time I checked.

Nintendo games hardly get any cheaper with time so what you did makes a lot of sense. On the other hand PS4/Xbox games tend to get heavy price drops pretty early on in their lifecycle but I don't think Unity is going to get any cheaper than 19.99$ in the next year or so ... I don't regret my decision. And yeah I know the game has got a lot of flaws but it's set in my birthplace so I HAVE to play it.

jred2k

May as well hold out till fall 2016 for even better deals.

In all seriousness, I would just jump on this deal. Even if its 20-50 cheaper in the fall, you atleast got 3 or 4 months of gaming done in the mean time. Right now is about as desperate as MS can get, so it's a great time to get an XB1.
I'm mostly curious to see what the 1TB bundles may end up looking like. There isn't anything I really want to play right away either.

Fellow canucks,

I am contemplating ditching Shaw and signing up with Teksavvy to save, oh, 1/2 my bill for what seems to be exactly the same internet service. Even with the transfer, install fees and modem purchase it seems you'd be saving money 7 months into switching.

I don't see a lot of first-hand experiences with them out west (Edmonton). Any feedback? Any happy / irate customers care to chime in?

The wife is concerned with going with an "unknown", and needs some convincing.

Thanks!

Fellow canucks,

I am contemplating ditching Shaw and signing up with Teksavvy to save, oh, 1/2 my bill for what seems to be exactly the same internet service. Even with the transfer, install fees and modem purchase it seems you'd be saving money 7 months into switching.

I don't see a lot of first-hand experiences with them out west (Edmonton). Any feedback? Any happy / irate customers care to chime in?

Thanks!

I've got them out here in the east and they are fantastic. Used to be with bell, payed much more, had slower speeds, had less bandwidth.

I've been with TS for about a year and a half now and I've got nothing but good things to say about them. Sure it's not perfect and goes down from time to time (maybe 5 times in the past year for a total of 2 hours) but other than that it's great.

curb

Banned
I'm in Southwestern Ontario with Teksavvy cable internet and I've found the service to be great. I had some issues with their DSL but since I switched to cable, I've been very happy. Their support can be inconsistent but I think the product is good.

balohna

Trying to figure out if I want to jump on Xbox One at $350 or wait it out a bit. I don't want GOWUE (will likely get for free, have a hook up) so I may be best off getting a MCC bundle while I still can.

Really don't need more games or consoles right now, but I will want to play Halo 5 this fall.

Enilced2

Fellow canucks,

Thanks!

Wow those are some prices for internet. Honestly I would say Telus over Teksavvy. The service is fantastic and the price doesn't feel too harsh plus they are starting to offer 100MB down for parts of Edmonton

DJ_Lae

Wow those are some prices for internet. Honestly I would say Telus over Teksavvy. The service is fantastic and the price doesn't feel too harsh plus they are starting to offer 100MB down for parts of Edmonton

They gouge for caps, though - I had to subscribe to unlimited because they were beginning to send me warnings and we go enough over that my costs would skyrocket.

Subscribing to 100mbps would solve some of that, although it would also make it easier to go over.

Either way, I much prefer them to Shaw, and I've used both equally (more or less) over the past 15 years. Didn't realize we had other options out west, though.

Enilced2

They gouge for caps, though - I had to subscribe to unlimited because they were beginning to send me warnings and we go enough over that my costs would skyrocket.

Subscribing to 100mbps would solve some of that, although it would also make it easier to go over.

Either way, I much prefer them to Shaw, and I've used both equally (more or less) over the past 15 years. Didn't realize we had other options out west, though.

Good point, didn't think of that since I don't think I have ever gone over. What is the unlimited charge? $15?

Dazzler

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I have this TV in 46" version and it's a perfectly cromulent gaming TV

Little bit light on HDMI slots would be my only complaint

Perfect! Number of HDMI ports is not a problem since I already have a HDMI splitter (my old Bravia also had only 2 ports).

DJ_Lae

Good point, didn't think of that since I don't think I have ever gone over. What is the unlimited charge? $15?

Yeah, otherwise it's $10 per 50GB (I think?). We use at least 700GB a month on average and the 50mbps cap is 400, so if they actually charged me flat rates it would get crazy pretty quick (and cutting back is not feasible).

I'm assuming the warnings actually carry a penalty, of course. Over the years I've not really had a problem with going over - Shaw temporarily suspended my service once for using too much data and I had to call to get them to turn it back on. Not sure if they were just making a point or thought I had been hacked.

Enilced2

http://www.telus.com/en/bc/get-help...-bill/ffh/internet-overage-charges/support.do

1 bucket of 50GB if you go over: $5
Additional buckets: $10
Up to a maximum of $75. Buckets don't carry over.

If you use Netflix good luck staying under the cap.

I have yet to go over my 400GB cap and that's with lots of Netflix and such. Gotten super close though ahaha

Telus said:
You can also subscribe to Unlimited Data Usage for $30/mo – or just $15/mo if you also subscribe to any TELUS TV service.

This is what I was referring too though

Quick

Banned
I decided to buy a controller at Best Buy today. I had it on Amazon.ca pulled up on my phone to price match, and it took a good few minutes for the cashier to verify my claim.

She told me that it isn't sold by Amazon.ca and they'd only match it if it is. I told her it is, she left and took another few minutes to check. She came back and told me she'd have to charge me $5 because that's how much shipping is, to which, again, I told her it's free shipping since it's over $25. She left again to check, came back, and still tried to tell me shipping is $5. I told her again that that isn't Amazon.ca's and nowhere did it show a shipping charge. She relented and matched the price.

Is it usually this difficult to get them to match a price these days? I used to just be able to walk up to the cashier, show him/her the Amazon.ca page, and they'd just match it as long as it's sold by Amazon.ca directly. They usually do their due diligence to make sure it's sold by Amazon.ca, and I respect that rule for any place that offers price matching.

And I just wanted to clarify a piece of wording on Bestbuy.ca:

If you find a lower price online, in-store, or in print before you buy or within 30 days of your purchase we’ll beat that price by 10% of the difference.

Does this mean the item has to be at least 10% off before they match, or do they offer an extra 10% off the matched price?

I decided to buy a controller at Best Buy today. I had it on Amazon.ca pulled up on my phone to price match, and it took a good few minutes for the cashier to verify my claim.

She told me that it isn't sold by Amazon.ca and they'd only match it if it is. I told her it is, she left and took another few minutes to check. She came back and told me she'd have to charge me $5 because that's how much shipping is, to which, again, I told her it's free shipping since it's over $25. She left again to check, came back, and still tried to tell me shipping is $5. I told her again that that isn't Amazon.ca's and nowhere did it show a shipping charge. She relented and matched the price.

Is it usually this difficult to get them to match a price these days? I used to just be able to walk up to the cashier, show him/her the Amazon.ca page, and they'd just match it as long as it's sold by Amazon.ca directly. They usually do their due diligence to make sure it's sold by Amazon.ca, and I respect that rule for any place that offers price matching.

And I just wanted to clarify a piece of wording on Bestbuy.ca:

Does this mean the item has to be at least 10% off before they match, or do they offer an extra 10% off the matched price?

Which location? Never had an issue. My friend yesterday got them to match Amazon on a printer or something like that, no problem.

CKB3375

Does anyone know of any current sales on GTAV for PS4?

I had been waiting for it to drop, and then waited more for what I thought was inevitable announcements of single player DLC, followed by the "complete edition".

Since none of that appears to be happening I'm ready to buy as soon as a good deal comes up. Remember what it was like to have "good deals"?

Swhalen

Fellow canucks,

Thanks!

Been using them for two years in Vancouver. 50gb unlimited bandwidth for like 50/mo. It has been down maybe twice. I think they contract Shaw to so their set ups, as a Shaw guy set it up for me.

gabbo

You in the GTA? I grabbed one, but hey, if you're trying to replace your stolen unit, I'd do you a favour and just sell you this one for the same price I got it for?

I don't want it that badly. I want to be a kid, then a squid, but that's about it.

I am in the GTA actually. If you'd hold on to that idea for a few days. I know it's going to lead to not much, but I'm still waiting to hear back from the police on a couple things before I move onto getting a new system

Has anyone done the Amazon Prime trial? How does that work? My friends are paranoid that if they get something during the trial, they won't be able to take out the trial before the month is up/they'll be charged the 80$ per year thing....

Has anyone done the Amazon Prime trial? How does that work? My friends are paranoid that if they get something during the trial, they won't be able to take out the trial before the month is up/they'll be charged the 80$ per year thing....

As long as you cancel the trail before the trail is up you won't be charged. Even if you forget and get charged anyway you can still cancel it and get a refund within 2(?) days of being charged. I can't remember how many days it is exactly. Anyway, you can get anything you want during the trail and you won't be locked in, it's completely safe. If you're a uni/college student then you can get a 6 month trial instead.

Just get the trial and cancel immediately, mine lasted the month anyways and i didnt get charged

kevin1025

Banned

I signed up for Prime for the trial month in time for the E3 deals so I could snag express shipping. Under the membership section, just cancel the auto-renewal. Mine ends on July 16th and says it won't renew, so as long as you check that you will be fine!

I've got them out here in the east and they are fantastic.
Honestly I would say Telus over Teksavvy. The service is fantastic and the price doesn't feel too harsh plus they are starting to offer 100MB down for parts of Edmonton
I have the 100MB DL at Telus, which gets me 500GB data. I've never gone over, and that's including a lot of bullshit like 15gb Elder Scrolls Online patches.
Shaw temporarily suspended my service once for using too much data and I had to call to get them to turn it back on. Not sure if they were just making a point or thought I had been hacked.
Been using them for two years in Vancouver. 50gb unlimited bandwidth for like 50/mo. It has been down maybe twice. I think they contract Shaw to so their set ups, as a Shaw guy set it up for me.

Thanks for the responses. Here in Edmonton Teksavvy offers free downloads from 2am-8am. That will help immensely with PS+ and Steam downloads alone.

Also, I'm not super keen on paying a low rate out of the gate and then in month 7 having my rate rise by 300% or some such nonsense. Nor do I have a desire to sign a 3 year contract to receive a TV not of my choosing, so I guess Teksavvy it is then.

soultron

Banned
I am in the GTA actually. If you'd hold on to that idea for a few days. I know it's going to lead to not much, but I'm still waiting to hear back from the police on a couple things before I move onto getting a new system
Reaching to you via PMs now.

A perma-price drop? Things will only get better from here on out. Also, PS TV Slim confirmed for two years from now? Probably not.

Yup! As far as I know this is the new MSRP starting Monday. I only know that it's happening with Walmart for sure but I'd be very surprised if we didnt see a price drop across the board.

Only bestbuy.ca has Shovel Knight pre-orders, but they're double the MSRP and they don't have Wii U so don't bother there.

I asked them on Kickstarter what the deal was with that and they said they're looking into it.

Thanks for the tip. Have you heard anything since?

Top Bottom