• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

kinger

I decided to buy a controller at Best Buy today. I had it on Amazon.ca pulled up on my phone to price match, and it took a good few minutes for the cashier to verify my claim.

She told me that it isn't sold by Amazon.ca and they'd only match it if it is. I told her it is, she left and took another few minutes to check. She came back and told me she'd have to charge me $5 because that's how much shipping is, to which, again, I told her it's free shipping since it's over $25. She left again to check, came back, and still tried to tell me shipping is $5. I told her again that that isn't Amazon.ca's and nowhere did it show a shipping charge. She relented and matched the price.

Is it usually this difficult to get them to match a price these days? I used to just be able to walk up to the cashier, show him/her the Amazon.ca page, and they'd just match it as long as it's sold by Amazon.ca directly. They usually do their due diligence to make sure it's sold by Amazon.ca, and I respect that rule for any place that offers price matching.

It mostly varies depending on the store (some people might not look as closely at shipping, etc on Amazon, in which case you've gotten lucky), but I do think they might have gotten more strict?
I know if they're matching a store though, they have to call and verify the price, even if you're price matching the website.

Does this mean the item has to be at least 10% off before they match, or do they offer an extra 10% off the matched price?

It's actually an extra 10% of the difference in price, ex. If you're PM'ing something for $20, and they normally sell it for $30, then they take off an extra ($30-20) = ($10 x 10%) = $1, so you'd pay $19+tax (does this make sense?)

SickBoy

I decided to buy a controller at Best Buy today. I had it on Amazon.ca pulled up on my phone to price match, and it took a good few minutes for the cashier to verify my claim.

She told me that it isn't sold by Amazon.ca and they'd only match it if it is. I told her it is, she left and took another few minutes to check. She came back and told me she'd have to charge me $5 because that's how much shipping is, to which, again, I told her it's free shipping since it's over $25. She left again to check, came back, and still tried to tell me shipping is $5. I told her again that that isn't Amazon.ca's and nowhere did it show a shipping charge. She relented and matched the price.

Is it usually this difficult to get them to match a price these days?

Sometimes they suck. I rarely have issues -- sometimes there's a bit of delay as they have to verify or get manager approval or whatever -- but you really can tell when someone's trying to stonewall.

Your post did make me curious. I'm pretty sure there used to be a clause in the price matching policy that they would only match if the price PLUS FAST SHIPPING was cheaper than their price. Glad that's not the case these days, though maybe that was another retailer.

Roto13

Do those Vitas come with a memory card?

EDIT: Actually, nevermind, that doesn't matter. I'm going to buy one for my mom and she only wants it for pinball so I'll get her a small memory card.

Is it usually this difficult to get them to match a price these days? I used to just be able to walk up to the cashier, show him/her the Amazon.ca page, and they'd just match it as long as it's sold by Amazon.ca directly. They usually do their due diligence to make sure it's sold by Amazon.ca, and I respect that rule for any place that offers price matching.

And I just wanted to clarify a piece of wording on Bestbuy.ca:

Does this mean the item has to be at least 10% off before they match, or do they offer an extra 10% off the matched price?

I recommend price matching online. At least you don't have to deal with clueless cashiers.

Last week I tried to price match a vita memory card in store, got refused. The cashier kept saying the card I was price matching with was for PC, because the logo was showing "Sony" instead of "Playstation" (wut?). I gave up, came home, ordered online and filled in PM form. Took them a day to approve the PM.

N° 2048

I recommend price matching online. At least you don't have to deal with clueless cashiers.

Last week I tried to price match a vita memory card in store, got refused. The cashier kept saying the card I was price matching with was for PC, because the logo was showing "Sony" instead of "Playstation" (wut?). I gave up, came home, ordered online and filled in PM form. Took them a day to approve the PM.

DF2DFhS.gif

No words.

Ryne

Amazon changed the price of my Xbox one elite controller from 179 to 89. I love you amazon, please deliver it on time.

TheKyle07

Hi GAF, looking for some help. I am considering to get a RetroN 5, and I want to find the best price (of course). I've seen it for $160 on a few websites, just wondering if anyone here happens to know of any better deals that I may have not noticed yet? Thanks!

Ryne

WTF? They changed the price for those who bought it after?

Did you have to ask?

I thought I missed out on the price mistake, so I placed an order afterward on the same day. I didn't need to ask at all, it was just price adjusted down automatically.

DJ_Lae

I thought I missed out on the price mistake, so I placed an order afterward on the same day. I didn't need to ask at all, it was just price adjusted down automatically.

Damn it, I should have placed an order too, I missed out on the price by minutes. Didn't realize it might have kicked in because the change and order would be on the same day.

SickBoy

Trying to figure out if I want to jump on Xbox One at $350 or wait it out a bit. I don't want GOWUE (will likely get for free, have a hook up) so I may be best off getting a MCC bundle while I still can.

It's been a tough decision for me. I certainly don't need an Xbox right now. On the other hand, I have $200 worth of Optimum points burning a hole in my account this weekend and access to about $140 worth of Shoppers gift cards if I burn through my PC Points at Superstore, making my out of pocket (cash) cost less than $50.

So it's appealing on that front, plus I can start accruing Games With Gold titles. Besides that, the standard pricing for a 360 isn't much cheaper. One with a 500GB HDD still retails for about $250. So is the XB1 going to get that much cheaper in the medium-term future?

The counterpoint is pretty simple: I have a ton of stuff to play. I don't need to add to the pile of shame. And while there is stuff on Xbox that I'm eager to play, the only title that's out right now is Sunset Overdrive.

Umibozu

does anyone know if the amazon Devils Third e3 preorders are safe? I'm asking because they list nintendo and if the publisher changes would they cancel the preorder?

Quick

Banned
It mostly varies depending on the store (some people might not look as closely at shipping, etc on Amazon, in which case you've gotten lucky), but I do think they might have gotten more strict?
I know if they're matching a store though, they have to call and verify the price, even if you're price matching the website.

I expected them to follow whatever protocol they need to follow, and I was fine with that. I walked in expecting to have to wait a little bit. But there's a point when I really just thought they were probably just waiting to see if I just give in and accept whatever they offer.

Sometimes they suck. I rarely have issues -- sometimes there's a bit of delay as they have to verify or get manager approval or whatever -- but you really can tell when someone's trying to stonewall.

Your post did make me curious. I'm pretty sure there used to be a clause in the price matching policy that they would only match if the price PLUS FAST SHIPPING was cheaper than their price. Glad that's not the case these days, though maybe that was another retailer.

I don't see anything about adding in fast shipping on their website. It says "shipping costs" but it doesn't specify speed. That's where I got really thrown off about her mentioning she'd need to add $5.

Why order online when I can walk in a store and price match an online price anyway? I would've ordered from Amazon.ca since I have Prime, but I happened to be near a Best Buy yesterday. That being said, my previous experiences price matching have been smooth, so I expected a smooth transaction.

The cashier should've checked the SKU on that memory card first, or you should've mentioned to check the SKU. That's been how they started the price matching process for me, and usually how you get the price quickly.

ohlawd

does anyone know if the amazon Devils Third e3 preorders are safe? I'm asking because they list nintendo and if the publisher changes would they cancel the preorder?
doesn't matter. I'm sure Amazon will update their info and your preorder will be safe

Why order online when I can walk in a store and price match an online price anyway? I would've ordered from Amazon.ca since I have Prime, but I happened to be near a Best Buy yesterday. That being said, my previous experiences price matching have been smooth, so I expected a smooth transaction.

The cashier should've checked the SKU on that memory card first, or you should've mentioned to check the SKU. That's been how they started the price matching process for me, and usually how you get the price quickly.

Because you will have less chance of dealing with whatever bs they come up with when dealing with PM online price.

The cashier did check the SKU at first, but then she saw the sample image on the online store and started refusing the PM.

SickBoy

i-Jest

Hi GAF, looking for some help. I am considering to get a RetroN 5, and I want to find the best price (of course). I've seen it for $160 on a few websites, just wondering if anyone here happens to know of any better deals that I may have not noticed yet? Thanks!

Not that I've noticed lately.

krae_man

Two EBs down, still no Slim Vita and by the sounds of things they didn't have any to start with.

Stupid lying tweet.

I also love the buy one get one 50% off on used vita game sale when the stores have no used vita games whatsoever.

Quick

Banned
Because you will have less chance of dealing with whatever bs they come up with when dealing with PM online price.

The cashier did check the SKU at first, but then she saw the sample image on the online store and started refusing the PM.

I tend to be more firm on these things, so our tolerance for bs could definitely be different. Not knocking the online method, of course.

And that's still weird as hell. The SKU should pretty much be the major identifier of the product, regardless of image.

Sorry, I was unclear. I did look at their site and it doesn't seem to be part of the current policy. Just commenting that I was pretty sure it was at some point, and I thought they may have been applying that policy in your case.

I just checked and linked it here for everyone. Didn't actually question you seriously on that. lol

Sealtest

Amazon is matching best buys 10% off preorders, code is 10PREORDER at check out.

Maybe we'll get lucky and some prices will auto-drop 10% again.

balohna

It's been a tough decision for me. I certainly don't need an Xbox right now. On the other hand, I have $200 worth of Optimum points burning a hole in my account this weekend and access to about $140 worth of Shoppers gift cards if I burn through my PC Points at Superstore, making my out of pocket (cash) cost less than $50.

So it's appealing on that front, plus I can start accruing Games With Gold titles. Besides that, the standard pricing for a 360 isn't much cheaper. One with a 500GB HDD still retails for about $250. So is the XB1 going to get that much cheaper in the medium-term future?

The counterpoint is pretty simple: I have a ton of stuff to play. I don't need to add to the pile of shame. And while there is stuff on Xbox that I'm eager to play, the only title that's out right now is Sunset Overdrive.

I ended up getting one from BB with FC4. So far I've been having fun with Halo, but PS4 will probably remain my go-to for multiplats. May make some exceptions with games that are basically at parity, just to mix it up. Optimistic about XBO exclusives over the next couple years, though.

PlayStation 4 DUALSHOCK 4 20th Anniversary Edition Wireless Controller
preorder
$74.99

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/playstation-playstation-4-dualshock-4-20th-anniversary-edition-wireless-controller-3001074/10255699.aspx?path=1000c002b4181fb28bb0ad8ba4593803en02

sucks that the 10% deal only works on game preorders, 75+ tax is too much for a controller.

I like how they changed the box.

I want that, and I want the Magma one. I also want the latest Forces controller and the Forza one. (And the CoD and Titanfall ones).

Why do I want these so much? I'd hardly use them if at all. It's not like I have a job or anything.

So what's the difference between Far Cry 4 and Far Cry 4 Limited Edition?

EDIT: Never mind. I found out. So looks like my $25 regular edition is going back to amazon in place of best buy's $20 limited edition.

PlayStation 4 DUALSHOCK 4 20th Anniversary Edition Wireless Controller
preorder
$74.99

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/playstation-playstation-4-dualshock-4-20th-anniversary-edition-wireless-controller-3001074/10255699.aspx?path=1000c002b4181fb28bb0ad8ba4593803en02

sucks that the 10% deal only works on game preorders, 75+ tax is too much for a controller.

Last time i was in costco , I saw the blue controllers for $59. Hopefully they get these because $75 is way too much (heck so is $60).

Far Cry 4 @ Bestbuy for PS4. $19.99.

Is it worth it? I liked 3, but didn't love it and a lot of people said this is basically 3.5.

Not sure if I want to get it if it's more or less the same game in a different setting, outposts and collectibles ubifest.

kevin1025

Banned

Is it worth it? I liked 3, but didn't love it and a lot of people said this is basically 3.5.

Not sure if I want to get it if it's more or less the same game in a different setting, outposts and collectibles ubifest.

It is more or less the same game in a different setting, although I think I had more fun in Far Cry 4 than in 3. I enjoyed it quite a bit, and for that price it is a very good deal.

Best game of 2014, so yes.

But it is quite similar.

baconcow

Just bought the regular edition at Best Buy for $24.99 in their recent sale. Should have waited.

Top Bottom