• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Amazon is matching best buys 10% off preorders, code is 10PREORDER at check out.

Maybe we'll get lucky and some prices will auto-drop 10% again.
At least one game has dropped by 10%, Mario & Luigi Paper Jam. I look forward to my E3 order being automatically updated in a couple of days and hopefully more games will follow suit.

At least one game has dropped by 10%, Mario & Luigi Paper Jam. I look forward to my E3 order being automatically updated in a couple of days and hopefully more games will follow suit.

Yo-Kai Watch and Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon have also dropped by 10%. Others may have, but I only went through my order to check. Very nice that three games that didn't go down previously have now went down. Now hopefully Mario Tennis, Dragon Quest, and Super Mario Maker drop.

MarkusRJR

Yo-Kai Watch and Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon have also dropped by 10%. Others may have, but I only went through my order to check. Very nice that three games that didn't go down previously have now went down. Now hopefully Mario Tennis, Dragon Quest, and Super Mario Maker drop.
Xenoblade Chronicles X and Yoshi's Woolly World too! Also, for those interested, the Guitar Hero bundle is $100 ($30 off), so with the 10% off it should come to $90. Probably the best deal for the game apart from the E3 deals.

Not sure if I should pre-order Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon. Thought the last one was kind of boring...

EDIT: During the course of making my post they reduced Zelda: Triforce Heroes too,

zroid

Banned

haha, this! :p

thanks Amazon

flkraven

My Microsoft Stereo Headphone for XB1 are starting to shit the bed. I think the adapter works fine, but the headphones are starting to disconnect mid-conversation. Does anyone know if there are any good replacements on sale? Something under $100? I have the adapter, so it doesn't necessarily need to be made for XB1. Thanks!

My Microsoft Stereo Headphone for XB1 are starting to shit the bed. I think the adapter works fine, but the headphones are starting to disconnect mid-conversation. Does anyone know if there are any good replacements on sale? Something under $100? I have the adapter, so it doesn't necessarily need to be made for XB1. Thanks!

Just get a decent pair of over ear headphones with an in-line mic, especially if you are connecting them to a controller. Gaming-specific headphones always seem so over priced and cheap.

Ryde3

My 5.1 system is on it's last legs, anyone know of any good surround sound bars on sale? Sort of tired of all the wires haha. Thanks in advance! In Toronto if that matters.

flkraven

if I buy a pc headset that has 2 plugs (for headset and mic), do I just need to buy an adapter to convert 2-to-1 for it to work on my XB1 adapter? Or is it less simple than that?

My 5.1 system is on it's last legs, anyone know of any good surround sound bars on sale? Sort of tired of all the wires haha. Thanks in advance! In Toronto if that matters.

I have been thinking my sound system solution.

I haven't bothered hooking my 5.1 system up since I moved due to all the wire clutter. Maybe I should consider a sound bar.

I'm tempted to pull the trigger, but the lack of reviews is disappointing... Any opinions on Toshiba HDTVs in general?

Turns out my local Futureshop turning into a Best Buy actually had this model. It *looks* good, colours are sharp, great contrast for the price range. No idea how it performs at gaming, kind of wish they had a PS4 or something hooked up to it so I could see.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Turns out my local Futureshop turning into a Best Buy actually had this model. It *looks* good, colours are sharp, great contrast for the price range. No idea how it performs at gaming, kind of wish they had a PS4 or something hooked up to it so I could see.

Yeah, input lag is the thing I'm worried about... All the affordable 40' TVs available don't have reviews...

...except for the Samsung EH5000 I found at The Source, but it turns out they only had a demo unit and as usual, the employees were super-unhelpful and almost rude after I declined their cellphone sales pitch. Urgh, I hate going there.

So yeah, I'm still looking for a decent cheap 40' HDTV, but it looks like it's a shot in the dark these days as all the models I'm looking at don't have reviews or input lag info available... :/

Yeah, input lag is the thing I'm worried about... All the affordable 40' TVs available don't have reviews...

...except for the Samsung EH5000 I found at The Source, but it turns out they only had a demo unit and as usual, the employees were super-unhelpful and almost rude after I declined their cellphone sales pitch. Urgh, I hate going there.

So yeah, I'm still looking for a decent cheap 40' HDTV, but it looks like it's a shot in the dark these days as all the models I'm looking at don't have reviews or input lag info available... :/

I know! I despise how hard it is to find out input lag on TVs :( I also despise the cell phone pitches at The Source as well.

FOOD DEAL

get a free Sriracha Teen Burger from A&W (apparently you need a smartphone to redeem the coupon) http://awcoupon.ca/en/sriracha

Well, I know what I'm dong for lunch

Chatin

Far Cry 4 @ Bestbuy for PS4. $19.99.

Is it worth it? I liked 3, but didn't love it and a lot of people said this is basically 3.5.

Not sure if I want to get it if it's more or less the same game in a different setting, outposts and collectibles ubifest.
Did you see this in store? The pricing is still at 49.99, online.

Thanks man! Appreciate the feedback. I see that it's '2.1' but I guess it still simulates surround sound/has great quality?

Yeah, I'm not sure how a soundbar would be able to simulate 5.1 in any convincing fashion. But this is definitely one of the better ones. Don't go too cheap, I got a Panasonic one awhile ago for like $129, and it was worse than my TV speakers.

The speaker quality is great on this, as is the wireless sub. It's about as good as you can expect to get in terms of quality and surround effect without a full 5.1 setup.

Ryde3

Yeah, I'm not sure how a soundbar would be able to simulate 5.1 in any convincing fashion. But this is definitely one of the better ones. Don't go too cheap, I got a Panasonic one awhile ago for like $129, and it was worse than my TV speakers.

The speaker quality is great on this, as is the wireless sub. It's about as good as you can expect to get in terms of quality and surround effect without a full 5.1 setup.

Again thanks for the details! Last question, If the sub is wireless, does it just have it's own power supply separate from the bar?

Enilced2

If you are worried about input lag check out www.displaylag.com they are a good database for most models of tv

If you are worried about input lag check out www.displaylag.com they are a good database for most models of tv

Yeah I've used that site to pick a PC monitor. But like gaboumafou, none of the models I'm looking at are on the site either. We're in this battle together gaboumafou - looks like we're trying to get a similar TV in the same price range so if I see anything I jump at I will let you know as long as you do the same :)

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I've used that site to pick a PC monitor. But like gaboumafou, none of the models I'm looking at are on the site either. We're in this battle together gaboumafou - looks like we're trying to get a similar TV in the same price range so if I see anything I jump at I will let you know as long as you do the same :)

Perfect! I guess my plan at this point is to wait until the 15th to see if there's anything interesting during Amazon's sale, otherwise I might go in blind and get either the $350 Toshiba one at Best Buy, or the $400 43' LG at Walmart... I couldn't find info on any of those, but heh... I guess worse case I could return it if the input lag / image quality is unbearable.

What's the best option for buying Microsoft gift cards online, so that they're tax free and the codes are emailed to you? Just Microsoft's site? It says there's a tax and environmental handling fee.

Madness

Yeah, that's the site I use, but they don't have any of the decent-looking $400 40' sets I found at Best Buy, Walmart, etc.

Do whatever you can and buy yourself at least a 120hz refresh rate set. Be careful, because television manufacturers have become so effing cheap, very few are still 120hz in the 40"+ range. They use crop terminology like motion flow 120 to trick you into thinking you're getting a faster panel.

For example, last year, LGB6300 sets were 120hz, this year, the newer version of this model is only 60Hz etc.

It makes such a difference, I wouldn't go back to gaming on an LED at 60hz. Ideally do you have any open box places near where you live? Where I live, there are stores that sell clearance, open box, sometimes returned sets for dirt cheap, so that if you're willing to accept a used item, scratched bezel you can find the higher model sets for entry level model prices.

Do whatever you can and buy yourself at least a 120hz refresh rate set. Be careful, because television manufacturers have become so effing cheap, very few are still 120hz in the 40"+ range. They use crop terminology like motion flow 120 to trick you into thinking you're getting a faster panel.

For example, last year, LGB6300 sets were 120hz, this year, the newer version of this model is only 60Hz etc.

It makes such a difference, I wouldn't go back to gaming on an LED at 60hz. Ideally do you have any open box places near where you live? Where I live, there are stores that sell clearance, open box, sometimes returned sets for dirt cheap, so that if you're willing to accept a used item, scratched bezel you can find the higher model sets for entry level model prices.

Thanks for the info

I need to buy a new TV soon, but there are so many different options these days that it's tough. My budget is only about $1000, and I have to buy from Best Buy.

I know 120hZ is what to get, at the very least, even if I won't use it much. But do I spring for 4K so early? What happens if there's a dead pixel in the corner and I can't return it? That'll drive me nuts.

I think I'll try to hold on to my 9 year old TV for as long as possible, even though it has its quirks.

kaiyo

Thanks for the info

I need to buy a new TV soon, but there are so many different options these days that it's tough. My budget is only about $1000, and I have to buy from Best Buy.

I know 120hZ is what to get, at the very least, even if I won't use it much. But do I spring for 4K so early? What happens if there's a dead pixel in the corner and I can't return it? That'll drive me nuts.

I think I'll try to hold on to my 9 year old TV for as long as possible, even though it has its quirks.

what size TV are you looking for?

Oneself

My current TV is a 42" Sharp Aquos from 2006. I'd like to go bigger, to at least 49" or 50-something.
You should go for Sony's KDL50W800b or 800a

Great overall quality, large screen but surprisingly slim TV, last year's best input lag (perfect for gaming).

*also wait for a sale, it's at around 700-750$ sometimes... Like a week or 2 ago. :|

Madness

My current TV is a 42" Sharp Aquos from 2006. I'd like to go bigger, to at least 49" or 50-something.

A week ago, Best Buy had a 50" Sony 3D LED for $699 and it was a smart and 120hz set with a super low response time. It was posted here but it's back up to $899 though. I'll try and keep an eye out for something decent. 4K, most sets are only 60hz right now, you'd be better off just buying a quality 1080p panel, upgrading later when 4K streaming, 4K Blu-ray are well established.

Enilced2

You should go for Sony's KDL50W800b or 800a

Great overall quality, large screen but surprisingly slim TV, last year's best input lag (perfect for gaming).

*also wait for a sale, it's at around 700-750$ sometimes... Like a week or 2 ago. :|

Agreed, just bought the KDL60W630B but I looked at this one long before going bigger. Sony's last year offering was absolutely fantastic.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll take a look at it.

I'm not in a rush, just curious as to what's out there.

EDIT: Oh yeah, that'd been a TV I'd had my eye on. It looks beautiful. The customer reviews about dead or stuck pixels is worrying, though.

The most I'd be able to spend on a TV after taxes would be $1300, but I'd much rather not go close.

MarkusRJR

Well the 10PREORDER amazon code doesn't work. Was going to pre-order Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon and it told me it was invalid. Probably should just wait till Prime day anyway.

Top Bottom