• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

Yasumi

Banned
Eh, the sales today could've been worse. Ordered the 32GB microSD, got the 22-inch RCA for my mom, and expanded my summer wardrobe nicely with the Forever21 sale. Only around $170 in total.

Jinto

Best Buy sent me a shrink wrapped copy of Rory McIlroy's PGA Tour Golf. When I went to return it, they gave me a hard time, because all the copies in store are wrapped with the y-fold. They tore off the shrink wrap to check what was inside, as if I have my own shrink wrap machine and was scamming them or something. Ridiculous.

So glad most of my E3 orders are from Amazon this year.

MarkusRJR

Are there any good deals on 40"+ TV's? Missed the TV's that were on sale on amazon earlier. Preferably under $500 and around 43"-48". Not a big videophile, just want to comfortably want to play video games (so hopefully 3 HDMI inputs and no overscan).

i-Jest

Are there any good deals on 40"+ TV's? Missed the TV's that were on sale on amazon earlier. Preferably under $500 and around 43"-48". Not a big videophile, just want to comfortably want to play video games (so hopefully 3 HDMI inputs and no overscan).

My advice would be to keep an eye out for New Egg and Tiger Direct deals. Check police online auctions from time to time as well.

Best Buy sent me a shrink wrapped copy of Rory McIlroy's PGA Tour Golf. When I went to return it, they gave me a hard time, because all the copies in store are wrapped with the y-fold. They tore off the shrink wrap to check what was inside, as if I have my own shrink wrap machine and was scamming them or something. Ridiculous.

To be fair, people do in fact own shrink wrap machines and have returned product cases they shrinkwrapped themselves (without the actual product inside). It does suck that they hit you with the hassle when they sent you the product like that, but I can understand the store staff taking extra precautions.

On a completely unrelated note: I feel dumb for wasting my yearly Prime trial. Too bad I didn't activate it during E3 instead, then at least all my pre-orders would have two-day shipping.

Sora_N

It happened to me with Ducktales or whatever a few years ago, I complained via email and BB.ca gave me a shipping label for refund.

Jinto

To be fair, people do in fact own shrink wrap machines and have returned product cases they shrinkwrapped themselves (without the actual product inside). It does suck that they hit you with the hassle when they sent you the product like that, but I can understand the store staff taking extra precautions.

Ah, I didn't realize this was a thing. Still, stuff like this shouldn't happen. I wonder if they did, in fact, shrink wrap the game themselves for whatever reason. The game disc was loose inside the case too. It's not the first time I've gotten a game like that from them either.

It happened to me with Ducktales or whatever a few years ago, I complained via email and BB.ca gave me a shipping label for refund.

I was thinking about calling in to complain too, but they did let me return it, so I didn't bother. I doubt they would even know what I'm talking about if I called. :/

m23

What a pathetic sale, I ended up just buying a few blu ray movies, only one of which was actually on sale today.

What a pathetic sale, I ended up just buying a few blu ray movies, only one of which was actually on sale today.

No kidding. I couldn't find a single thing of interest or at a price that seemed like a deal. Glad I didn't sign up for prime to get in on it, I would have felt scammed big time.

Sora_N

Ah, I didn't realize this was a thing. Still, stuff like this shouldn't happen. I wonder if they did, in fact, shrink wrap the game themselves for whatever reason. The game disc was loose inside the case too. It's not the first time I've gotten a game like that from them either.

I was thinking about calling in to complain too, but they did let me return it, so I didn't bother. I doubt they would even know what I'm talking about if I called. :/

I never called, I sent an email. I couldn't imagine dealing with that kind of stuff over the phone.

Maximus.

I ordered a Yeti, Bluetooth car adapter for music, The Wire and now Elder Scrolls Online. I didn't need the Yeti, but at like 75% off it was well worth it. The other stuff I have been eyeing for a while and got some sweet deals on them.

Jo-El

So I signed up for Prime for pretty much nothing huh?

With all the press they're getting, maybe they'll have a redo sale that is better?

b2EIxUv.png

MarkusRJR

Got the entire Corner Gas series for $30. So happy, I love the series.

Is ESO worth it at $35? I've only ever played Skyrim and I thought it was good, but I've never played an MMO before.

DJ_Lae

Eh, the sales today could've been worse. Ordered the 32GB microSD, got the 22-inch RCA for my mom, and expanded my summer wardrobe nicely with the Forever21 sale. Only around $170 in total.

Yeah, I bought four things and the diapers were an absolutely insane deal ($10 for each 200+ box).

There was a lot shit to wade through and I missed a couple of deals that I was interested in, but it wasn't awful. I think Amazon did themselves a disservice by hyping it up so much.

Got the entire Corner Gas series for $30. So happy, I love the series.

Is ESO worth it at $35? I've only ever played Skyrim and I thought it was good, but I've never played an MMO before.

Yes, it's extremely single player friendly, more so than grouping to be honest. If you liked Skyrim, you'll be right at home here.

Ended up getting The Wire Complete Series for 99.99 and Game of Thrones Season 4 for 27.99. Never watched The Wire before.

Not the craziest deals, but I've been needing an excuse to buy both of those so there you go.

Stage On

Urg the dollar falling even more sucks so much. I really want a ps4 but at this rate they are going to price hike it again to $500 aren't they....

Heck they already effectively have since the Last of us bundle is being phased out leaving the Batman Arkham standard bundle. The fact that Amazon is listing that at $450 as a "deal" for prime day is pretty insulting. So much for Top gaming console and more – at unbelievable prices.

Zing

Banned
Cloth is for people with way too much time on their hands (or at least those who have insuite laundry). For most apartment couples it's a really difficult ask
I have heard a lot of excuses for not using cloth but his makes no sense. I did cloth on my daughter and the amount of extra work consists of a load of laundry every other day. The poop goes in the toilet, and the diapers go into a small sack or bucket.

If you don't like using cloth, although I strongly suspect you have no experience with it, that is fine, but don't spread FUD.

Some Canadian games are re-shrink wrapped because they put the French manual on the outside.

i-Jest

Yeah, iFixIt is well known and has a good reputation from all I've seen.

Hm, here's their reviews on resellerratings.com: http://www.resellerratings.com/store/iFixit

Looks like most of the negativity comes from people who were unhappy about shipping costs or broke their iPhones trying to fix them.

Would I be dealing with UPS if I buy from them?

EDIT:

NVM. I looked it up myself and I would have to. UGH, I hate dealing with UPS. Any place in Canada sell that tool kit or something equivalent I can use to install drives on my consoles?

Quick

Banned
How about that Amazon Prime Day?

Anybody actually get something? I looked at the deals throughout the day, and nothing appealed to me enough to actually buy.

i-Jest

How about that Amazon Prime Day?

Anybody actually get something? I looked at the deals throughout the day, and nothing appealed to me enough to actually buy.

I think it's best we as a thread NEVER speak of that deal, or lack there of, EVER again.

Ended up getting The Wire Complete Series for 99.99 and Game of Thrones Season 4 for 27.99. Never watched The Wire before.

Not the craziest deals, but I've been needing an excuse to buy both of those so there you go.

sometimes it help to watch the wire with the subtitles on. And give it at least five episodes before making any judgements. It's like an intricate novel, but after the first five or so episodes, things become very clear, and you're in for a life changing series.

baconcow

sometimes it help to watch the wire with the subtitles on. And give it at least five episodes before making any judgements. It's like an intricate novel, but after the first five or so episodes, things become very clear, and you're in for a life changing series.

Yes. I've watched The Wire twice. While it can be difficult to get into, it is the deepest, best acted, and well crafted show you will ever watch. You will likely enjoy it very much.

espher

Anyone aware of any good deals and/or have recommendations for a ~24" TV (ideally 1080p)? I'm looking for something small/portable that I could also use as a tertiary monitor should I need one, and I think 24" is as small as I'd go for gaming on the go. Not super picky on number of inputs - one HDMI and one component would be 'good enough'. I've been trying to read reviews, etc, but a number of the models I'm looking at either have crazy price tags for some reason or are just not in stock, potentially because that size/feature set is going out the window. :3

I want something with speakers which is why I'm looking for a TV over getting a monitor and just hooking my consoles up to it via an HDMI or VGA.

Top Bottom