• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

Mimosa97

Been trying to hunt for a refurbished PS4 but no luck. Wow is this console just keeps its price point eh ? What's the best deal for a PS4 right now ?

Same here.

Can't find a good deal on a PS4, refurbished or new. I guess I'll have to wait for BF.

I didn't like TLOU on PS3 so I'm not paying 450$ for that bundle.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Same here.

Can't find a good deal on a PS4, refurbished or new. I guess I'll have to wait for BF.

I didn't like TLOU on PS3 so I'm not paying 450$ for that bundle.

Oh yeah. I already beat Last of Us on PS3 and don't feel the need to have its PS4 version. Black friday or Boxing week would probably be the best bet now.

jholmes

Been trying to hunt for a refurbished PS4 but no luck. Wow is this console just keeps its price point eh ?

I don't know how the PS4 is supposed to get a price cut when the dollar keeps falling like this. It's already got a huge price cut if you think about it that way.

mdubs

Banned
Been trying to hunt for a refurbished PS4 but no luck. Wow is this console just keeps its price point eh ? What's the best deal for a PS4 right now ?

$399 USD = $498.

You are already getting a price cut by the price not going up, should have jumped in earlier.

bootski

you know, when I say super cheap I really mean super cheap

I'm talking like $250-300 :p

kijiji has them for in around that price sometimes. they go fast though. i was considering getting one a month or two ago but held off because i was too busy at work.

I don't know how the PS4 is supposed to get a price cut when the dollar keeps falling like this. It's already got a huge price cut if you think about it that way.

$399 USD = $498.

You are already getting a price cut by the price not going up, should have jumped in earlier.

Listen to this advice!!!!! Price drop ain't gonna happen. Best case scenario is it stays at $449 or goes up to $499 and includes a game (eg TLOU).

kinger

Honestly I think they'll make a BB10 version and an Android version. A lot of enterprise folks don't trust Android and it wouldn't take too much work to provide two versions of the slider.

I personally love my Z30. Gives me an insane battery life and feels awesome in the hand. I wouldn't recommend it now though. The specs are ancient and Android apps don't run that great (although I hear the passport runs Android apps good). I'd wait for the new slider coming out this winter tbh.

Hmm good points, I'll keep this in mind, thanks! I'm mostly worried about whether my carrier will get the new BB by the time my contract ends, and the price point it'll be at whether through carrier or third party...

N° 2048

Oh man, yea the USD is getting hard to get used to.

I subscribe to MightyText and forgot how much 35.99 USD was in CAD. Was shocked when I checked my statement.

Tiktaalik

Get used to it this dollar is the new normal. It's not going to change any time soon.

More oil will be coming onto the market with the sanctions on Iran ending, and Canada is sliding into recession while the USA recovers.

Maximus.

Get used to it this dollar is the new normal. It's not going to change any time soon.

More oil will be coming onto the market with the sanctions on Iran ending, and Canada is sliding into recession while the USA recovers.

We enjoyed our brief period of parity and were spoiled :(

Stage On

Oh yeah. I already beat Last of Us on PS3 and don't feel the need to have its PS4 version. Black friday or Boxing week would probably be the best bet now.

I wouldn't mind paying $450 for it if it actually came with a game I was interested in. A reheated last gen port just isn't going to cut it.

The Batman standard edition would be tempting if they hadn't arbitrarily raised the price for that particular bundle.

Do you have that sound bar?

It doesn't look like there's many inputs. Also prefer to have a sub. And preferably available at Best buy, have gift cards.

I can't speak for the one he recmmended, but I one purchased a cheap (100-150, can't remember) sound bar, and it was absolute shit. Worse than the TV speakers. For something like this, just invest in something good from the get go, or you're kind of defeating the purpose of getting it in the first place.

I have this one right now, which is $50 over your limit, but it's great. Awesome, clear sound, and the sub is good.

Do you have that sound bar?

It doesn't look like there's many inputs. Also prefer to have a sub. And preferably available at Best buy, have gift cards.

I bought a soundbar a couple years ago with a sub woofer and it honestly didnt sound super great. It was still better than the tv as far as being a bit more of a deep sound and clearer but when compared to even your all in one home theater $200 - $300 systems it was laughable.

It could very well be room dependent as well, if you have a small space that the soundbar can fill and reflect off of walls it might sound fuller.

Best deal in recent memory that would repeat is a no tax day at Superstore. (if that Visa/Indigo deal ever repeats, that would be the best one but I doubt that will happen again any time soon)

SickBoy

Regarding the dollar, the crappy loonie is one reason I didn't feel too bad about pulling the trigger on an Xbox One a couple weeks back (Optimum points were the other).

I think a price drop is possible, but I think it's less likely that we'll see it on this side of the border.

The terrible loonie also has me wondering if I may as well just grab an iPhone now, rather than waiting for whatever refresh Apple offers. A little scared about what the pricing will look like, come September.

Rbk_3

Yep, this is the one rare exception where you were much better off buying the console at launch. Pretty crazy I got the ps4 cheaper on launch day than you can get it 20 months later.

Rbk_3

I bought a soundbar a couple years ago with a sub woofer and it honestly didnt sound super great. It was still better than the tv as far as being a bit more of a deep sound and clearer but when compared to even your all in one home theater $200 - $300 systems it was laughable.

It could very well be room dependent as well, if you have a small space that the soundbar can fill and reflect off of walls it might sound fuller.

I really like my Sony CT660 Sound Bar. It has 3 HDMI inputs so I have my One, PS4 and Cable Box going through it and it works pretty well.

Edit-this is the new version of it. I think I only paid $300 on boxing week

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...spx?path=49135b2fa5e26bf83a5a06ba224c6170en02

CRA5H

I really like my Sony CT660 Sound Bar. It has 3 HDMI inputs so I have my One, PS4 and Cable Box going through it and it works pretty well.

Edit-this is the new version of it. I think I only paid $300 on boxing week

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...spx?path=49135b2fa5e26bf83a5a06ba224c6170en02

I have this soundbar as well.

Positives:
  • Cool slim design
  • Buttons are not on the front (good for kids)
  • Comes with adapter for wall mounting
  • Basically gives you two extra HDMI ports
  • Bravia Sync over HDMI means you can control everything but the input switching with your regular TV remote (in my family's case, we can just use the PVR remote for everything; absolutely no need to use the TV or soundbar remotes)
  • Bluetooth sync function and app lets you remotely control the soundbar and/or pipe music from your phone through it.
  • Wireless sub if you have a place where that's allowed.

Negatives:
  • This is not a true soundbar like the Yamaha YSP series. You get basically 3 speakers each on the left and right, the center has the bluetooth tech, and it's empty otherwise (almost every sub $500 soundbar does this)

YSP type soundbars have 20+ speakers across the entire length with some really high-end surround virtualization, but can cost well past $500.

SickBoy

Is this the new updated one?

I saw this on the weekend on RFD and the chatter there was that this was the first gen controller, which allegedly has QC/durability issues. I don't know anything about that, but those claims have certainly given me pause.

I have a question regarding an Amazon Prime trial. If I begin a trial today, could I save shipping charges on games I preordered during the 30% E3 promotion? The games have their release dates spread across several months, so I'm not sure if that free 2-day shipping thing for Prime members is applicable. Thanks, in advance!

kaiyo

I can't speak for the one he recmmended, but I one purchased a cheap (100-150, can't remember) sound bar, and it was absolute shit. Worse than the TV speakers. For something like this, just invest in something good from the get go, or you're kind of defeating the purpose of getting it in the first place.

I have this one right now, which is $50 over your limit, but it's great. Awesome, clear sound, and the sub is good.

I was looking at that one too, does it have standby bypass?

Also, how is it compared to the htct780? Which is $100 more lol.

Edit: thanks for the review guys

Top Bottom