• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

khaaan

I'm not much a phone guy (am currently rocking the OG Samsung Galaxy S and the OG RAZR before that) but the new Moto X has gotten my interest. Does anyone know how getting an unlocked one would work? Do phone companies put up pages for online orders? I tried checking Amazon but every phone I find currently out or otherwise seems to be sold by not-Amazon.

Dazzler

was in the library yesterday and noticed they'd a huge selection of video games including PS4 and Xbox One

Renting is looking more tempting now with the ever shrinking amount of deals we've got going on

Anth0ny

was in the library yesterday and noticed they'd a huge selection of video games including PS4 and Xbox One

Renting is looking more tempting now with the ever shrinking amount of deals we've got going on

yeah, no one suspects the library, but they have a pretty amazing selection of ps4, xbone and wii u games.

KJA

I opened my bank account at age 8 or something. You can't even get a sin card at that age.

Anyway that company is an app, not a bank. They are collecting data to sell is my guess.

You need to provide your SIN number if you want to get a Savings Account. Since ZenBanx is currently offering 1.5% interest on whatever amount your holding in their account, you are technically collecting income which needs to be declared to the Government.

Now, if you aren't comfortable enough to provide your SIN number to sign up, you don't have to. During the sign up process, they give you the option to opt-out of receiving interest, therefore eliminating the need to ask for your SIN number.

You should bear in mind though that an 1.5% is pretty good right now (especially now that the economy is definitely *not* in a recession hahaha). Tangerine Bank actually reduced their interest rate down to 0.8% the other day.

Also, ZenBanx was started by the original founder of ING Direct (http://business.financialpost.com/n...ith-new-mobile-banking-venture-zenbanx-canada) and is backed by an actual credit union here in Toronto called DUCA Financial.

They are also offering a referral bonus of $10 to both the invitee and the person who signs up (and makes a minimum deposit of $25). With that in mind, it all seems like a pretty good deal to me.

If anybody needs help, have questions, or would a like referral (no pressure, just thought I would throw it out there), I'd would be more than happy to help.

You need to provide your SIN number if you want to get a Savings Account. Since ZenBanx is currently offering 1.5% interest on whatever amount your holding in their account, you are technically collecting income which needs to be declared to the Government.

I opened savings account (twice) at BMO and they don't ask me to provide SIN.

KJA

I opened savings account (twice) at BMO and they don't ask me to provide SIN.

Their current online account application asks for a SIN Number.
https://www12.bmo.com/osa/ao/initOSA?lang=en&pid=HS2PAL2

Here is their line of reasoning, when you click on one of their ? bubbles:

Protecting your information is a priority for BMO Bank of Montreal. Be assured that your social insurance number is kept confidential at all times.

Your Social Insurance Number is used to:

- Ensure an accurate match between your personal information and your credit bureau information
- It will be used to comply with Canada Revenue Agency's income reporting requirements if you have requested an interest bearing account

Now, I don't know how your exact application process went but I'm just calling as it is, from what I currently see.

zroid

Banned
*sighs*

It's never Toronto. Does anyone know what libraries in Toronto carry videogames?

aren't all the library branches in the same system? just check the online catalogue for TPL

Unfortunately, Toronto Public Library doesn't carry video games. Vaughan, Markham and Mississauga all do though.

ah, that's a shame. I'm in Markham, and yeah they have a lot of games. even the weird niche stuff you wouldn't expect to find.

PurolatorHelp

Neo Member
Why does Purolator exist?

They never attempted delivery of my Forever21 shirts from that deal two weeks back. I called them friday and asked them to just send it to the closest location on Bloor St. (Toronto). They said sure that's fine.

Check the tracking today and this afternoon they set the package to be returned to sender. Greeeeeat.

Hello mullet2000,

We apologize for this incident. Could you please email me the tracking number of the package? I'll follow up on this for you.

Regards,
Vincent
Social Media Coordinator / Customer Care Team

Purolator Inc.
E-mail: customer.care@purolator.com
www.Purolator.com

Follow us on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/purolatorhelp

krae_man

Unless Purolator help person has access to a time machine, they can't do squat about any of the complaints they have responded to here.

Their sole goal is to reply to every complaint on the internet so it looks like Purolator cares about customer service. Note the word looks. They only want the appearance of good customer service, weather their customer service actually is good or not is irrelevant.

zroid

Banned
Unless Purolator help person has access to a time machine, they can't do squat about any of the complaints they have responded to here.

Their sole goal is to reply to every complaint on the internet so it looks like Purolator cares about customer service. Note the word looks. They only want the appearance of good customer service, weather their customer service actually is good or not is irrelevant.

i don't really think what is happening here is giving anyone the impression of good service... it's just odd

I think a few guys at Puro are having a laugh

I got my forever 21 shirts. Purolator guy came at like 11am a week ago. Purolator is only bad when you miss a package and have to drive to nicargua or some shit to pick it up lol. Meanwhile UPS/Canada post I can pick up in multiple places nearby.

Fed Ex is hit or miss in the same way.

Dazzler

I missed the Purolator guy last week with the Forever 21 shipment and had a fun time trying to find their vancouver location

It's tucked away inside a mall at 12th and Cambie. When you go in it's hidden upstairs in a little nook

Needed a compass and map to find it almost

Mimosa97

I got my forever 21 shirts. Purolator guy came at like 11am a week ago. Purolator is only bad when you miss a package and have to drive to nicargua or some shit to pick it up lol. Meanwhile UPS/Canada post I can pick up in multiple places nearby.

Fed Ex is hit or miss in the same way.

CanadaPost get all the flack even though they are the best delivery service.

UPS/Purolator are both trash.

frequency

CanadaPost loses my stuff a lot or makes mistakes and sends parcels in the opposite direction. It takes about 4 days for delivery.

Purolator gets packages to me as fast as next day and hasn't lost any of my stuff yet. I had 1 delay with them so far I think.

But if delivery is missed, CanadaPost is like 2 minutes away to pick up.
Purolator is 20 minutes away. Making it a 40+ minute trip to pick up.

Both of them like to fake delivery attempts at times. Not knocking or ringing the doorbell while people are home and just leaving the pick up notice.

UPS is just bad.

The libraries near me have been getting games in for a while. The further one is best, because they tend to get more of the newer titles, but they're still very selective. For example, they never got Batman AK.

The local one didn't either, because it was rated-M and they didn't think it was big enough(!).

I know someone who works there, and she regularly asks my advice about them. Apparently they're dealing with major theft, too, so they're considering putting them behind the desk. They don't want to have to, though I've recommended it because I don't want some douchebags ruining my rental spot.

I'm a reviewer, but I like to borrow or pick up games I don't personally review which interest me.

FrsDvl

Yeah the libraries here in Edmonton have as well. Sigend my daughter up for a library card a couple months ago. Never played this many games in such a short period of time. Library's rule. Takes a while to get new games since they are always gone asap and when you put them on hold it can still take forever, but hey whatever, it's free!

SickBoy

I opened my bank account at age 8 or something. You can't even get a sin card at that age.

Anyway that company is an app, not a bank. They are collecting data to sell is my guess.

Just to set the record straight, both my kids are under 8 and have social insurance cards.

Dazzler

Yeah the libraries here in Edmonton have as well. Sigend my daughter up for a library card a couple months ago. Never played this many games in such a short period of time. Library's rule. Takes a while to get new games since they are always gone asap and when you put them on hold it can still take forever, but hey whatever, it's free!

exactly!

I'm going to use it as a free way to play some early Xbox One titles like Dead Rising and Forza 5 I never picked up

DJ_Lae

Best part is that they extended the borrowing period for games from 1 week the other year to a full 3 weeks now. It's great.

I got The Order a few weeks back after putting myself on the wait list when it originally released. I don't expect much for big releases, but for scooping up back catalogues and trying out random stuff it's fantastic.

Also, can't remember if they've had their big book sale this summer yet, but I went the other year and they also get rid of games and movies for a couple of bucks each. I expect to see them tossing a ton of copies of Adventure Time for WiiU based on how many there were at the downtown library last time I was there.

Best part is that they extended the borrowing period for games from 1 week the other year to a full 3 weeks now. It's great.

I got The Order a few weeks back after putting myself on the wait list when it originally released. I don't expect much for big releases, but for scooping up back catalogues and trying out random stuff it's fantastic.

Also, can't remember if they've had their big book sale this summer yet, but I went the other year and they also get rid of games and movies for a couple of bucks each. I expect to see them tossing a ton of copies of Adventure Time for WiiU based on how many there were at the downtown library last time I was there.

Jesus, it took like three months to get it??

The borrowing periods here are still one week, I believe. I don't borrow often, but I just placed a bunch of holds on fall releases.

They're usually a couple of weeks late in obtaining games, though. And borrowing older titles bugs me, because people don't take care of them and with my OCD being as bad as it is, I'm too afraid of putting a dirty disc into my console.

You can only clean them so well with alcohol wipes. So I always aim to be the first person.

jholmes

Yep, Hamilton is good and when I was in Mississauga their selection was also very good.

Obviously Toronto has so many branches that it might be hard logistically, but if you guys want games, why don't you ask the TPL about it?

SickBoy

Ah so it looks like 12 is only the minimum age to apply for one on your own. Guardians can do it before hand.

Makes sense. I got mine when I was 12 or 13. Wasn't in a rush for my kids to get SINs, but it's pretty essential these days, as they're required for RESPs.

X-Factor

I went ahead and bought the USFIV Mad Catz Round 2 stick from ncix Canada posted here a few pages back

http://search.ncix.com/products/?sku=SY5482585

It is in fact the Rivals version arcade stick:

http://store.madcatz.com/categories...-Tournament-Edition-2-for-PS4-PS3-RIVALS.html

I am not really liking the orange and yellow buttons but it is easy to customize it compared to past models. Although I just found out that the Mad Catz store does not ship buttons or parts to Canada anymore. I will have to use a package forwarding service like gamesforcanada for that if the parts go back in stock that is.

FrsDvl

Jesus, it took like three months to get it??

It really depends. Most big releases yeah, if you don't keep an eye on when they put them up, you're gonna be in for a wait. Best thing to do is get the app, keep an eye on the Just Ordered page and select video games. They will add (some) games before release, and you can secure a copy quickly.

It's not so bad though, every time I go to the library they have lots of games I've never played. And I usually go home with 3 to 5 games every visit. Just picked up Sniper Elite 3, Shadow of Mordor and Lego movie video game. After I returned farm Simulator 15, evil within, resident evil revelations 2 and dragon age inquisition. It's great!

Just wish they would have 3DS titles

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I went ahead and bought the USFIV Mad Catz Round 2 stick from ncix Canada posted here a few pages back

http://search.ncix.com/products/?sku=SY5482585

It is in fact the Rivals version arcade stick:

http://store.madcatz.com/categories...-Tournament-Edition-2-for-PS4-PS3-RIVALS.html

I am not really liking the orange and yellow buttons but it is easy to customize it compared to past models. Although I just found out that the Mad Catz store does not ship buttons or parts to Canada anymore. I will have to use a package forwarding service like gamesforcanada for that if the parts go back in stock that is.

Oh, this is exciting. I missed out on a Rivals stick due to some crap... I have a regular TE2 (the black and blue one) and wanted to replace it for a Rivals stick. I might be able to do that now, woo hoo!

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Lovely, I bought a Wii U from shop.ca that appeared in stock, yet after 5 days it finally gave me a shipping estimate of August 11th because it was in fact backordered. Fucking spectacular.

Top Bottom