• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

Has anyone done that minimum $10 trade in thing at the MS Store? I'm thinking about doing it to get KI and an extra controller or rechargeable battery thing (the fact I have to buy this is stupid honestly). Just wondering if there were any surprise weird limitations

The limitation is US only.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Will 2015 finally be the end of roboHarper's 10 year reign?

Happy New Years everyone!

Do you order from Monoprice often? Last time I got some cheap cables and surge protector I had to pay a bunch of duty fees. Didn't end up being much of a deal.

I order from them fairly often and have never been hit with fees. I always choose USPS as my shipping option, which is usually only available for smaller items. You can also check Amazon.ca, monoprice has a marketplace store there where they sell a few items. http://www.cablesonsale.ca also resells monoprice items, but they add a healthy markup.

Vibranium

Banned
Happy New Year's guys, almost forgot to chime in. Are we going to suffer through another low dollar year and pay more for videogames yet again? Find out next time, on Harperland...

This is going to be a weird question, but does anyone know of a place that sells DSi's for cheap? I'm trying to find a way to get my DS games to not look like crap.

Cynar

Will 2015 finally be the end of roboHarper's 10 year reign?

Happy New Years everyone!
Judging by how he shut down the investigation into the robocalls and is pushing through a law to make it harder for people to vote it's very bad. I hope it is though!

EBGames continues to confuse me. Their online store doesn't have Fire Emblem on it, but if you load the cached page for it from Google you can still check stock. Does anyone know what the going price is? Cached page says 29.99.

Megasoum

Banned
Hey guys, how much does it cost to ship a game somewhere in Canada? Like just a standard dvd case?

Let's say worse case scenario would be from Montréal to Vancouver I guess?

Edit:Looks like I'm looking at around 15$ hmmm

iLLmAtlc

Hey guys, how much does it cost to ship a game somewhere in Canada? Like just a standard dvd case?

I wonder if you can get away with registered mail for that. Could be worth a shot

krae_man

Yeah anything other than paper you pay through the nose. We don't have media mail like the US. Xpresspost envelope is probably your best bet.

zroid

Banned
Yeah anything other than paper you pay through the nose. We don't have media mail like the US. Xpresspost envelope is probably your best bet.

I have mailed a game by lettermail before. it barely fits if you have the right size envelope. costs like $2.

edit: that was a couple years ago so might be a bit more expensive now

isny

napkin dispenser
I have mailed a game by lettermail before. it barely fits if you have the right size envelope. costs like $2.

edit: that was a couple years ago so might be a bit more expensive now

Yeah it's 2-3 now depending on where in Canada you mail it. The easiest way to do this is to buy a roll of kraft paper and just wrap your game in it. It'll always fit the 1.5 cm slot if you do this.

This is off topic but I need a group of Canadians. I'm trying to get rogers to service my new home but they won't citing the engineering department. It stops 2 lots down from me and 1000 feet on the other side but they want $19,000 to get to me. The rep said that could change if engineering came out and reassessed the area but there is no way to do that so its basically engineering says no so go away.

My question is does anyone have an email or phone number or twitter account that is above regular customer service level that i can call or harass about this issue? Director of engineering or even higher up. There is a subdivision across the the road that wants service too so you would think that cost would be spread out and rogers would gain 40+ customers.

For the record right now we have to have bell satellite for tv and rogers rocket hub cell internet for home internet with a monthly cap of 20 GB. it sucks.

isny

napkin dispenser
This is off topic but I need a group of Canadians. I'm trying to get rogers to service my new home but they won't citing the engineering department. It stops 2 lots down from me and 1000 feet on the other side but they want $19,000 to get to me. The rep said that could change if engineering came out and reassessed the area but there is no way to do that so its basically engineering says no so go away.

My question is does anyone have an email or phone number or twitter account that is above regular customer service level that i can call or harass about this issue? Director of engineering or even higher up. There is a subdivision across the the road that wants service too so you would think that cost would be spread out and rogers would gain 40+ customers.

For the record right now we have to have bell satellite for tv and rogers rocket hub cell internet for home internet with a monthly cap of 20 GB. it sucks.

Go with Bell or Tekksavvy for internet, Robbers is terrible.

krae_man

Letter mail is for documents only. Sure its possible to get away with it but your package could be refused and if you take it to the post office they will make you use the parcel rate.

Go with Bell or Tekksavvy for internet, Robbers is terrible.

Teksavvy uses rogers. Presumably he researched the internet options available to him and the rocket stick was the best option.

I'm guessing he didn't like the DSL options.

Riptwo

I'd try poking around http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rogers to see if you can get any help. It's worth a shot!

Oversized lettermail is about $2 domestic, $5 to US. It's a tight fit though.

If you want tracking it's about $15 domestic, $20 to US. For anything remotely valuable it's best to spring for tracking because it's so easy for a buyer to scam you.

Velkyn

If I could get anything better that internet through cell service I would.

Does Start.ca use Robbers lines exclusively? Maybe try them.

On topic: Does anyone know of any Vita memory card deals? I've tried finding them used at EB, but they never have the 32 gig, and I'm a bit leery at buying a used memory card. I have an 8 gig right now that's just not enough. I'll probably end up importing a 64 gig and paying an arm and a leg if I can't find a good deal in the next couple of months.

Dorygrant

So I've been getting really into Minecraft for ps3 and was looking into getting the PC version and damn, it's like $30 now! I remember when it used to be like $7 >_>

Is there anywhere to find it cheaper? It's not on Steam so I can't hope for a sale there.

xCobalt

I think they use Bell. I recently signed up for their service and a Bell technician did the installation. I switched over to DSL (was using Rogers cables) and I'm pretty happy. Customer service has been great so far. They answer emails and follow up with phone calls almost immediately. They also have a few reps lurking the dslreports forum which is useful if people have any questions.

Lizardus

Crossposting from amiibo thread, anyone else who ordered these from bestbuy? They were supposed to release today and now they are showing out of stock.

i00osoS.png

Apathy

On topic: Does anyone know of any Vita memory card deals? I've tried finding them used at EB, but they never have the 32 gig, and I'm a bit leery at buying a used memory card. I have an 8 gig right now that's just not enough. I'll probably end up importing a 64 gig and paying an arm and a leg if I can't find a good deal in the next couple of months.

Rarely will you find deals in vita memory cards. For a long time 32 was enough but with more and more PS+ games and my addiction to psone games I an looking to get a 64 card, but on Amazon they are like 97-99 dollars (about the same from import sites)

i-Jest

Crossposting from amiibo thread, anyone else who ordered these from bestbuy? They were supposed to release today and now they are showing out of stock.

i00osoS.png

Got the same thing. I'm not going to get outraged over this. The entire Amiibo situation is something of a mess anyway. BB just didn't get their shipment yet.

Talk to Start.ca (phone them, they are super knowledgable). Or post in DSL reports forum, the head fellow in charge monitors questions there.

Been using them for 2 years, perfect.

I think, though I'm not sure, but they have access to multiple companies' lines.

Megasoum

Banned
I had forgotten how fucking terrible Kijiji is ugh...

Nobody replies to you with more than 2-3 words... Like wtf, it's not a chat room, it's an email exchange.

I got two replies so far to my ad

Reply 1: From your_mom@gmail.com (I'm not kidding lol)
"Check your price fucking dumbass"

(implying that I'm too expensive for the market)

Reply 2:
"good deal!!!"

... Now maybe Reply 2 is being ironic and also thinks it's too expensive... Or he thinks it's a good deal but then doesn't actually tell me if he's really interested or not.

Seriously, Fuck those guys.

Sealtest

I always get emails asking to buy whatever im trying to buy for $5 less then i'm offering even though I make it clear twice that i'm buying and not selling:(

Top Bottom