• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkusRJR

Thinking of using the Wii U trade in deal for the Switch. What happens if I spend the time driving there and they don't have any pre-orders left? Will I be able to trade the Wii U in for store credit towards the Switch?

Thinking of using the Wii U trade in deal for the Switch. What happens if I spend the time driving there and they don't have any pre-orders left? Will I be able to trade the Wii U in for store credit towards the Switch?
just call in advance and ask if it's ok. I wouldn't sit on it.

mdubs

Banned
You guys are tempting me to do a trade in for this thing. Stop it!

Values are definitely pretty good but the system would most certainly collect dust over the summer. Would likely be better off waiting for Nintendo to come to their senses with price drops and bundles.

The dollar isn't going to help that. The money's on the dollar only getting worse. Maybe we'll get like a $30 price drop at most

We're never getting that Master Edition, are we?

Will any other retailer get the Master or Special Edition?

Master is way too much for my blood, but I'll settle for the Special Edition for that case and soundtrack.

In other news, some might remember that I left a game (Tomb Raider) in my OG PS4 while trading for a Pro back in November at EB. They finally managed to get it back last week lol. Took almost two months.

mdubs

Banned
Went to EB, traded in Mario Kart 8 towards Breath of the Wild for $50.

Anecdotally, there was a constant stream of people/families trading in stuff for the Switch. Based on the reaction to the price and the overwhelming negativity elsewhere on this forum, I was not expecting this (and this isn't a particularly busy location)

farisr

So is there a recent EBgames pdf of games eligiible for $8 and up tier of trade in. Because the only one I've managed to find was last updated in November.

SickBoy

Anecdotally, there was a constant stream of people/families trading in stuff for the Switch. Based on the reaction to the price and the overwhelming negativity elsewhere on this forum, I was not expecting this (and this isn't a particularly busy location)

I've been trying to determine how rational my disappointment over the price is. It probably stung for a lot of core gamers to see the price increase $50US/$70CDN from the pricing everything pre-announcement seemed to be pointing towards. Maybe we're the outliers.

I don't have a ton of stuff to trade (planning on trading MK8 for MK Switch... or Zelda if MK's not yet available)... so part of the question for me is what's the value in waiting? If I decide this fall I want it, will it be any cheaper? Maybe. If I buy it now and it gets cheaper (or gets a pack in this fall, will it bug me? Maybe.

I have the console mostly paid off (w/credit) if I choose to get it, but it's any and all of the additional stuff that is the problem. Trying to run a tight budgetary ship at the moment, so the price surprises of the machine and its accessories are unfortunate.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch Edition
Sold by: Amazon.com.ca, Inc.
CDN$ 55.99

So glad Amazon let me keep my 30% off on the Switch version!

Did you get chat to match your Wii U price? Could you explain how you asked? I tried this myself last night without any success.

Renewed

I feel like in the case of different offers, the rep may try to eye out which one gets you the best offer like how mine didn't just go with the $100 for 5 games but went with the double trade in value.

mdubs

Banned
I've been trying to determine how rational my disappointment over the price is. It probably stung for a lot of core gamers to see the price increase $50US/$70CDN from the pricing everything pre-announcement seemed to be pointing towards. Maybe we're the outliers.

I don't have a ton of stuff to trade (planning on trading MK8 for MK Switch... or Zelda if MK's not yet available)... so part of the question for me is what's the value in waiting? If I decide this fall I want it, will it be any cheaper? Maybe. If I buy it now and it gets cheaper (or gets a pack in this fall, will it bug me? Maybe.

I have the console mostly paid off (w/credit) if I choose to get it, but it's any and all of the additional stuff that is the problem. Trying to run a tight budgetary ship at the moment, so the price surprises of the machine and its accessories are unfortunate.

I've been thinking the same way. I think the only reason I'm disappointed about the price (ie. the US base price, since the exchange rate is out of their control) is because I read rumours on this forum. I assume that families are not reading this stuff, so when they hear $400 they just assume that yeah, that's the price. I think for many families, the price isn't competing against the Xbox/PS4, but instead against the iPad/iPhone that their kid is otherwise asking for, and the Switch is new and a heck of a lot cheaper than those (especially with the Apple stuff only going up in price with each generation because of our dollar) They hear about the games and everything without the negative commentary or reactions, hence people going out to preorder it anyways. I've come to realize more and more over the years that our reactions on this forum are quite divorced from the reality of the mainstream market, so it'll be interesting to see how the Switch is received.

Where I'm at is that I may as well pick up this thing for launch, because realistically, it'll be MAYBE $50 cheaper during the holidays. Am I willing to potentially pay $50 extra to play it 6 months earlier since I'll pick it up at some point anyways? Sure, why not, and the trade-ins are pretty good right now so that's a plus.

The accessories are crazy expensive though.

farisr

Man, you guys are messing with my head. I didn't want to get a switch just yet and wait for a bundle due to the first year lineup, not to mention the crazy price. But seeing all this talk of trade-ins and our dollar etc etc I went and gathered all my tradeable stuff to see just how much I could get out of it, but after making the list, before checking out the values, I've changed my mind.

Not doing this. Gonna stick to my initial thought. Gonna keep my Wii U, as it's the most backwards compatible system that nintendo has and play Zelda on PC via Cemu once they have a build that runs it stable and in better quality than the Wii U. I don't care if the price of the switch doesn't go down or the value of my games/system goes down, not gonna go for a console with such an anemic lineup right now, that costs more than a ps4 while being underpowered, and has ridiculously priced controllers and accessories. I'll pick it up once they abandon the 3DS and developers start solely focusing on developing and releasing titles for it.

This feels like a console they should've held off on releasing till this holiday season anyways to me.

But yes, I do agree that there's value to be found in this system for many people for a variety of reasons. Those reasons either don't matter to me at all (like portability) or are just don't matter enough to me at the moment.

ahhhhhh the official Zelda site has removed any Canadian retailers from the Special Edition

Target.com you're our only hope ...

Edit: Everything is still there on Canadian Nintendo website for the SE.

Civjri9.jpg

yep when I went there was a lineup of people asking if various things were eligible for trade in towards switch.

but it's expected for launch. Honestly as much as nintendo fucked up this launch I hope it's really successful.

keakster

That website also lists US prices though.

But shows Canadian logos for retailers. Oh well, if we get one edition only and it's exclusive to EB, they really show their love for us again... Let's hope it's not the case.

And it also still says that Amazon and Bestbuy will have the Master edition, even though EB is claiming it is exclusive. I'm worried that they just haven't updated that yet but I haven't lost all hope just yet

JazzmanZ

The Trade 3 get 1 switch game free promotion at EB games is pretty good, got rid of Rayman, Mario kart and Hyrule warriors for the new Zelda.

mdubs

Banned
The Trade 3 get 1 switch game free promotion at EB games is pretty good, got rid of Rayman, Mario kart and Hyrule warriors for the new Zelda.

What were the trade in values for Rayman and Hyrule Warriors?

If anyone is trading stuff in for Switch stuff at EB, could you post what the individual trade values were? Would be really helpful for everyone here!

13randO

If anyone is trading stuff in for Switch stuff at EB, could you post what the individual trade values were? Would be really helpful for everyone here!

From yesterday, I traded in Splatoon (56) and CoD BlOps 3 for PS4 (16). I'm going back today with a ton of games and I'll post those prices when I get home.

Moltenix

Man, you guys are messing with my head. I didn't want to get a switch just yet and wait for a bundle due to the first year lineup, not to mention the crazy price. But seeing all this talk of trade-ins and our dollar etc etc I went and gathered all my tradeable stuff to see just how much I could get out of it, but after making the list, before checking out the values, I've changed my mind.

Not doing this. Gonna stick to my initial thought. Gonna keep my Wii U, as it's the most backwards compatible system that nintendo has and play Zelda on PC via Cemu once they have a build that runs it stable and in better quality than the Wii U. I don't care if the price of the switch doesn't go down or the value of my games/system goes down, not gonna go for a console with such an anemic lineup right now, that costs more than a ps4 while being underpowered, and has ridiculously priced controllers and accessories. I'll pick it up once they abandon the 3DS and developers start solely focusing on developing and releasing titles for it.

This feels like a console they should've held off on releasing till this holiday season anyways to me.

But yes, I do agree that there's value to be found in this system for many people for a variety of reasons. Those reasons either don't matter to me at all (like portability) or are just don't matter enough to me at the moment.

Oh man, I know how you feel too bro.

I took my Wii U Collection and priced it all out. Based on trade values posted on RFD from the Dec 22 promo, I could get around ~365 for trading in my Wii U and it's games.

Thought long and hard and I just can't do it either. Yeah, the trade value for some of the games are actually really good. But honestly, i've traded in a lot of Wii U games already from various EB promos. I'm literally down to my last 7 physical discs and it's all stuff that's really good and really special like 3D World, Tropical Freeze, MK8, Smash, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, etc. Then I look over at my stack of Wii games and remember this is pretty much my Wii as well. Naw, just can't do it guys.

If the holidays come around and there's no price drop or bundles and they come out with stuff I really want, guess i'll just suck it up and pay full price.

Sora_N

I'm keeping my WiiU stuff. I will regret selling or trading anything in at this point.

What are the chances of a Yoshi port though? Only game I didn't buy yet that I still want

Oh man, I know how you feel too bro.

I took my Wii U Collection and priced it all out. Based on trade values posted on RFD from the Dec 22 promo, I could get around ~365 for trading in my Wii U and it's games.

Thought long and hard and I just can't do it either. Yeah, the trade value for some of the games are actually really good. But honestly, i've traded in a lot of Wii U games already from various EB promos. I'm literally down to my last 7 physical discs and it's all stuff that's really good and really special like 3D World, Tropical Freeze, MK8, Smash, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, etc. Then I look over at my stack of Wii games and remember this is pretty much my Wii as well. Naw, just can't do it guys.

If the holidays come around and there's no price drop or bundles and they come out with stuff I really want, guess i'll just suck it up and pay full price.
you 10000% will not get to a price that low even with a bundle or with a price drop. Even if both happened.

If you don't really play your wii u anymore then you should definitely do it. Why waste more money later.

kevin1025

Banned
Psh. Keeping my Wii U solely for Bayonetta 1 and 2.

I think keeping the Wii U is a good move. Even if it knocks the price off of the Switch a decent amount, all of those exclusive games (of which there are a good chunk) will likely not see a remaster or a deluxe version.

Think of Captain Toad before you do anything.

mdubs

Banned
I tend to think that unless it is fully backwards compatible (ie. 3ds --> New 3ds), you'll never get fair value for trading in your hardware unless you really never intend to play it again. I have enough games for Wii U that I would never want to get rid of mine.

Moltenix

you 10000% will not get to a price that low even with a bundle or with a price drop. Even if both happened.

If you don't really play your wii u anymore then you should definitely do it. Why waste more money later.

You're probably 10000% right but i'm still gonna keep everything.

If they come out with worthwhile new games later in the year or in 2018, 400 isn't the end of the world.

In the meantime, i'm perfectly content with my discounted Amazon copy of Wii U BotW and continuing to play MK8 and Smash with my affordable controllers and free online.

bigmac996

wait what? you need to show me a photo of this

I assume he's talking about disc rot: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_rot

It's sadly very common on older disc-based games. Take some and hold them graphics facing away from you at a light source, and if there are any pinholes with light seeping through on the back end of the disc, you've got disc rot. It's shitty, but there isn't any permanence in any form of media though.

Lexxism

You guys are tempting me to do a trade in for this thing. Stop it!

Values are definitely pretty good but the system would most certainly collect dust over the summer. Would likely be better off waiting for Nintendo to come to their senses with price drops and bundles.
It's definitely a good value for me. WiiU is pretty much my paper weight. Getting at least $200 or $300 off on switch if I trade all of my games and trade some of it to switch games like mk8, splatoon and Mario.

JazzmanZ

Rayman was $18 HyWar was $48

Sealtest

wait what? you need to show me a photo of this

Tried to take a photo but I couldn't get one that showed the pinhole that well.

But its basically paint chips/pin hole starting to form on the inner ring of the disc right at the plastic and i'm getting afraid it'll get worse and move to the data portions. About 7 of my discs have this so far.

Moltenix

Rayman was $18 HyWar was $48

So $9 and $24 base values respectively.

Also remember guys that there's that Trade 3 promo towards Switch games. Min. value required is $8 and they'll get bumped up to $26.67. If you have games ranging from 8-13 dollars in trade value, it may be better to put those towards a game instead of the system.

Anything over $13 value, the 2x credit promo is better since it can be applied to Switch games or the system.

I assume he's talking about disc rot: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_rot

It's sadly very common on older disc-based games. Take some and hold them graphics facing away from you at a light source, and if there are any pinholes with light seeping through on the back end of the disc, you've got disc rot. It's shitty, but there isn't any permanence in any form of media though.

as an older PC Game collector, I'm quite familiar with disc rot unfortunately. I've had to spend more money than I would like to replace quite a number of my collection that showed it. Any time I buy an older title, I try to look under a light source in order to see if there are any pin holes in the data layer now. I just couldn't believe a Wii U game which is fairly recent in terms of manufacturing would be susceptible to it, which is why I wanted to see a photo of it.

Tried to take a photo but I couldn't get one that showed the pinhole that well.

But its basically paint chips/pin hole starting to form on the inner ring of the disc right at the plastic and i'm getting afraid it'll get worse and move to the data portions. About 7 of my discs have this so far.

If its what we think it is, you need to take a photo of the disc in a dark room with a light source underneath it, such as a lamp.

Also, what kind of environment do you have your games in?

So I tried...in vain...to get Amazon to exchange my $35 (praise Fularu) WiiU copy of Zelda for the Switch version instead.

First rep wouldn't/couldn't do it but I got disconnected and reconnected somehow before the chat ended.

Second rep couldn't do it, but offered a that i cancel the wiiu version and he'd give a $35 refund to apply towards the Switch version but before he could do it, again chat got disconnected and reconnected.

Third rep came on and said not to worry, they could follow through with what was promised. Offered a straight up $35 promo credit (no need to cancel my wiiu version). So I ordered the Switch version and applied the credit. After Prime discount (chose to give it a go for a year) the Switch version of the game is $28. And I'll have the WiiU version of the game still coming in for $35.

I really feel you get treated differently as a Prime member.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom