• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

De_Legend

Banned
So the damage for me so far is:

Switch $400
Zelda $63.99

With tax = $524.30

Insanity

Post Launch:
Lego City Undercover $63.99
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe $63.99
Splatoon 2 $63.99
Super Mario Odyssey $63.99

I'd also like to pick up another pair of joy-cons too as well as a pro controller, but that's too expensive for me right now.

Indeed it is. I'll pass 😬

Conezays

Spoke to Amazon chat and they said they should be able to make my shipping speed faster (my Switch is currently estimated to arrive March 7th-8th via Prime). Guess we'll see closer to the date; I wouldn't think getting release day shipping is too difficult given they have a warehouse in my city.

soultron

Banned
I can't see it in his post, but you know in general gaf adds its own referral links right?

I did not know that, no. I saw a unique tag in the URL when landing on Amazon (via the link), however, which made me a bit suspicious.

EDIT: I see what happened now. Any time "Amazon dot com" appears as plain text, GAF automatically hyperlinks that with its referral URL. My apologies for the confusion.

Renewed

I did the EB Games 2x trade in with some 3DS games and got $28 each to take off $142. I don't think I'd toss in any of my Wii U games but I don't know how many of them will be ported (own MK8 digitally, boohoo)

Ventara

Some pretty good trade in promos going on at EB for the Switch. It's tempting, but I'm not really interested in anything until Mario Odyssey and XC2. I feel like by that time it would have dropped in price enough to have negated whatever extra trade credit I'd get now.

Is EB strict on not transferring credit for games pre-ordered through promos? Like, I can't do a trade 3 towards a Switch game, and then move that to a PS4 game later on?

So for the EB Games trade towards Switch games promo, this is the list I want to look at?

https://www.ebgames.ca/Views/Locale/Content/PDF/tradeoffers/8-dollar-trade-value-en.pdf

Some surprising titles on there. I still have Overwatch and Uncharted 4 sealed from upgrading my PS4 to a Slim, so I hope their trade-in value is $24 each so I can get $96, practically getting back the money I spent to upgrade.

The trade 1 for $26.67? Yeah, that's the list.

killroy87

Some pretty good trade in promos going on at EB for the Switch. It's tempting, but I'm not really interested in anything until Mario Odyssey and XC2. I feel like by that time it would have dropped in price enough to have negated whatever extra trade credit I'd get now.

Is EB strict on not transferring credit for games pre-ordered through promos? Like, I can't do a trade 3 towards a Switch game, and then move that to a PS4 game later on?

The trade 1 for $26.67? Yeah, that's the list.

The safer method is to get the Switch game, and exchange it after the fact for a different game

bigmac996

Does anyone know if Amazon.ca will do release date delivery for those with Prime? I ordered one earlier and there's no prime delivery option. It says t'll arrive the 7th :(

Big Chungus

How does EBGames handle console returns when they were purchased through a trade in promo?

Do they give you your money back? or store credit?

c-murph

How does EBGames handle console returns when they were purchased through a trade in promo?

Do they give you your money back? or store credit?

I can't see them giving back trade-in credit as cash... Most likely get whatever cash you gave them back and the rest as credit. Can't confirm through.

AzerPhire

I can't see them giving back trade-in credit as cash... Most likely get whatever cash you gave them back and the rest as credit. Can't confirm through.

That's exactly how it is. You get it back in the same format it was already paid in. So if you put $50 cash down and $150 in credit you would get those same amounts back.

Lexxism

it won't be that cheap for years and years
I meant when I traded those games I can get the switch for below $100. $150 WiiU + $56 FFXV + $50 MK8 + $56 XCX = That's $312 off on Switch.

edit: Ugh, I just realized this isn't possible because you can't combine trade-in offers. lol fail

I called a local EB and they were no longer taking preorders for the system, so kind of defeats the deal if they won't take a preorder.

I will still trade in some games for Switch games though.
I wonder if they will let you get trade-in even if you can't get it on launch? I'm fine with that as long as I can do the trade.

ObscureMotives

Neo Member
That's exactly how it is. You get it back in the same format it was already paid in. So if you put $50 cash down and $150 in credit you would get those same amounts back.

That's pretty much how it works (they might require actual receipts to get back cash though). That said trade credit is weird with taxes, so if you had $50 credit towards a game that really acts as $50 + tax, but if you have them return it to a card, it just becomes $50. Moving credit between different preorders doesn't affect the +tax value or any promos as far as I know.

I meant when I traded those games I can get the switch for below $100. $150 WiiU + $56 FFXV + $50 MK8 + $56 XCX = That's $312 off on Switch.

edit: Ugh, I just realized this isn't possible because you can't combine trade-in offers. lol fail

I wonder if they will let you get trade-in even if you can't get it on launch? I'm fine with that as long as I can do the trade.

Trade in towards Switch games to get the double up, go in later and change all those to games not coming out for a while and then repeat this process and have a bunch of games preordered that you can then cancel and pool those values together to get switch when it's available.

Cru Jones

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch Edition
Sold by: Amazon.com.ca, Inc.
CDN$ 55.99

So glad Amazon let me keep my 30% off on the Switch version!

How did you manage to get that? Did you have the Wii U version pre-ordered and you asked the CSR to apply the price to the switch version instead?

Looking through that list, there are quite a few titles on there that I have that I don't plan on playing again. I should really start taking advantage of those trade-in promotions. Hopefully they'll have something similar to the Trade 2, Get $50 off a New Release offer in March. (I know that's a different list, but I still have a ton on there)

Lexxism

Trade in towards Switch games to get the double up, go in later and change all those to games not coming out for a while and then repeat this process and have a bunch of games preordered that you can then cancel and pool those values together to get switch when it's available.
Yeah, that's what I always do whenever I do trade-in for games. It definitely works.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Is it likely there will be a Zelda Switch bundle for the holiday shopping season?
March is already crazy busy for me with Horizon, Mass Effect, South Park, maybe Ghost Recon if I get it... .
Then again, the holiday season will be crazy expensive with Scorpio and iPhone 8... .
Fuck.

Clive

Thinking of picking up a big MicroSD for the Switch

how shady do you think this is lol https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B010GPU2XI/

From my experience: don't buy no-name memory cards and don't buy branded (likely fake) ones from China if the price is too good to be true. It's common that they corrupt data and it's common that the space you can actually use is far below what's advertised. Wait for a good deal on some card with a good rep.

zroid

Banned
From my experience: don't buy no-name memory cards and don't buy branded (likely fake) ones from China if the price is too good to be true. It's common that they corrupt data and it's common that the space you can actually use is far below what's advertised. Wait for a good deal on some card with a good rep.

The answer I was afraid of! :p

De_Legend

Banned
Is it likely there will be a Zelda Switch bundle for the holiday shopping season?
March is already crazy busy for me with Horizon, Mass Effect, South Park, maybe Ghost Recon if I get it... .
Then again, the holiday season will be crazy expensive with Scorpio and iPhone 8... .
Fuck.

Scorpio.. lmao.

How much it's gonna be? 600$? 650$?

Luigi87

If only it were possible to buy games from Nintendo Canada...
They still list the Special and Master Editions for BotW at the US prices, lol

etta

my hard graphic balls
If it's that much more powerful, it will.
It's a year late.
If it was launching at the same time, yea.
Oh yeah, I was talking after taxes as well my bad.

I think it could be more than 399 US though.. 450 US would be bad for us.
Yea $650 😭
With Red Dead Redemption 2 and maybe if Modern Warfare 2 gets remastered...
😭😭😭😭😭

Moltenix

You guys are tempting me to do a trade in for this thing. Stop it!

Values are definitely pretty good but the system would most certainly collect dust over the summer. Would likely be better off waiting for Nintendo to come to their senses with price drops and bundles.

You guys are tempting me to do a trade in for this thing. Stop it!

Values are definitely pretty good but the system would most certainly collect dust over the summer. Would likely be better off waiting for Nintendo to come to their senses with price drops and bundles.
I keep saying it but it's true. If you're someone who is going to get this eventually you're just waiting for the right price....this is the right price. Especially if your wii u or other games don't hold any value to you. It's going to take a long time before you can drop the price this much.

SickBoy

I agree. I think the trick with flash memory and USB thumb drives, etc., is to have patience. Watch for sales. Barring that, if you're a member the pricing at Costco is usually pretty reasonable on such products.

Assuming I keep my Switch preorder, I'm not sure how long it will take for the 32GB of included storage to become an issue (if it does at all). But my hope will be to wait until Black Friday or Boxing Day, because those are always good times to get a deal on flash memory without all the hunting.

Renewed

I can't bring myself to trade in my Wii U with Splatoon until Splatoon 2 is out, so it sucks for me. My 3DS games are fair game though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom