• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

killroy87

Preordered that Hori case form Amazon. My desire for the Zelda special edition has severely diminished now, since I really wanted it for the added functionality of the case haha.

If I can snag one on Amazon with my Prime discount I might grab it, otherwise I don't think I'll bother.

Oh right.. I just checked the website and you are right. They only offer 200GB or unlimited now.
This is great!
Price went down and turned unlimited. I still can't believe it lol

So great that I'll be ditching my videotron plan for TS.

I pay 54 for 130gb at 30mb, TS gives same speed with unlimited for that price!

Moltenix

Interesting. I guess I just never see myself being or going anywhere where I'd be sinking in a lot of time on a portable console. I have my Vita. But for the most part I use it to play quick game sessions. And I tried to play Persona (4 is it?) on my Vita and just couldn't commit enough time to it on the go. And if I'm at home, I'd rather be playing on a bigger screen with better sound.

So portability is clearly a reason people would be getting it. But for my own personal tastes. The Switch is/will be the system for Nintendo exclusives. 3rd party on the go? Nope! I'd much rather play a game that is showcased the way a developer intended it. Not a dummied down version.

In the case of a grindy RPG, portability might not necessarily mean having to take it on the go. Sometimes it's nice to grind away or farm for something on a handheld while leaving the TV/monitor free for other things. Or just simply doing it somewhere comfier like lying down in bed.

Obviously most games aren't like this but there's are definitely some that are a bit grindier at times where you don't really need to have the big screen for certain tasks.

Conezays

Hmm...now some of these complaints have me contemplating which screen protector to get if people are saying the Wii U one wasn't that great? I never used one on 3DS or Wii U personally.

Aonuma

Hmm...now some of these complaints have me contemplating which screen protector to get if people are saying the Wii U one wasn't that great? I never used one on 3DS or Wii U personally.

You wouldn't have to worry about any screen protector from HORI. I went just with their regular one as I don't see the need for the much more expensive and thick premium one.

Conezays

You wouldn't have to worry about any screen protector from HORI. I went just with their regular one as I don't see the need for the much more expensive and thick premium one.

Yeah, I have the Hori protector for my 3DS which I ordered from Japan; no complaints there. I've ordered the official Nintendo case and screen protector as I thought it was the best bang for your buck but I obviously don't want to scratch the screen. Bah.

bryt

Is there any confirmation that Smash Wii U is coming to Switch? Thinking of trading in my Wii U Smash if there's going to be a Switch version.

Is there any confirmation that Smash Wii U is coming to Switch? Thinking of trading in my Wii U Smash if there's going to be a Switch version.

The strongest argument for a port is the lack of any announcement regarding the last Smash amiibos. They're likely saving that to release with the port.

Cru Jones

Does anyone know of any sales going on for high TIV games in the EB Games double up promo for the switch. I want to take advantage of this as much as possible as anything you trade in reduces the tax you'll pay on the system as well.

The reason I ask is that I traded in my copy of Skyrim last night that I hadn't even opened because I was able to get $50 (plus taxes) off on my Switch pre-order and I paid $34 (taxes in) for it after boxing day.

I'm wondering if there are similar deals to be had with current sales.

Firestorm

the USB-C port is at the bottom, you can't charge it with the kickstand
Damn. They're taking this Apple thing kinda far.

Magic-Mouse-2-1024x556.png

trixx

Wind Waker is $7 initial and $14 for promo trade in value at EB. I hate WW but might as well keep it for the collection

ys45

My CC has not been charged yet and still no preparing for shipment for Gravity Rush 2 on amazon.ca : /

First Dragon Quest VIII and now this, WTF is going on with them ?

Time to send a little email I think :p

Anyone else ordered DQVIII or Gravity Rush 2 on amazon.ca ?

My CC has not been charged yet and still no preparing for shipment for Gravity Rush 2 on amazon.ca : /

I'm in the same boat.

r3n4ud

Yep. Chatted with them last night. They promised I'd get both on release day but neither have shipped, the lying bastards.

ys45

Yep. Chatted with them last night. They promised I'd get both on release day but neither have shipped, the lying bastards.

I know when you choose release day shipping they refund you the shipping if you don't get it on release day but what if you are a prime member ?

ElNino

So great that I'll be ditching my videotron plan for TS.

I pay 54 for 130gb at 30mb, TS gives same speed with unlimited for that price!
Not bad, but you can often get discounts on the "big" providers that bring you down to that. I'm on Rogers and pay $60 for Unlimited Gigabit.

UberTag

Unless it's an exclusive, who'd want to play a third party game on this? It'll be of lesser quality then on any other system. If given the choice, I'm buying the game for the system that will show it off best. And that's just never going to be the Switch.
I'm not sure this is a complete absolute. Some games won't always benefit from being played on higher-end hardware.

Most indies will play the same... and will have the added benefit of being portable on the Switch. Afterbirth+ hasn't been confirmed for anything outside of the Switch so it may well be an exclusive if not a timed one. The definitive version of Rayman Legends up until now was the Wii U version thanks to its touchscreen support and, presumably, the Switch version will take that title for the same reason.

Touchscreen support - provided that it gets used and benefits a control scheme - could be employed by certain games to enhance the overall experience. Ditto for HD rumble... although that remains highly unproven.

I'm all for buying a game for the system that will show it off the best. More often than not that will be for the PC if one has a high-end gaming rig and, if they don't, it'll likely be for the PlayStation or Xbox ecosystems. But that won't be the case 100% of the time.

leeman

If you didn't preorder a Switch 2 weeks back you're basically screwed as far as launch I assume?

Amazon still has a little note on their product page:

"Looking for the Nintendo Switch Console? We have sold out of our initial quantities; however, we expect to receive more in the near future. Continue to check back in at Amazon.ca for all the latest in Nintendo Switch consoles, games and accessories.*Quantities will be limited "

Also, Walmart still hasn't done pre-orders...

hiim_haz

Banned
it's a small detail, but the argument is more that the hundred details we've learned in the past week piled up

I guess yeah. A lot of it is non-issue for me, but I can see the annoyances with some things. Like the voice chat through app. I barely play games online and if I do I never use voice, so it doesn't affect me much but I see the annoyance behind it not being on the system itself. Then again, a lot of this is still unclear, so I'm on a 'wait and see'.

What else is bad news piling up? The price of accessories was the only other one I noticed and agreed with as being issues.

Amazon sent me something on time once... that was a long time ago. My GR2 isn't shipped yet either and I see the dreaded "Arriving tomorrow before 8pm" that I know wont happen.

leeman

Amazon sent me something on time once... that was a long time ago. My GR2 isn't shipped yet either and I see the dreaded "Arriving tomorrow before 8pm" that I know wont happen.

Pre-November, Amazon used to send me everything on time. Even sometimes a day before release date.

After November (around the time of Pokemon Sun / Moon) they have been at least a day late with almost everything.

Feels like they fell behind with Pokemon / holidays and have not been able to catch back up...

Plus side is that every time they miss a date, I complain a little, and they give me some sort of compensation.

ys45

This really sucks, I wanted to play this over the week end :( (like probably a lot of you guys), oh well watch me send them another email tomorrow they better give me a 10$ certificate or something in apology.

Since I got prime in last November everything was going well with the shipping on my games , I hope this was an exception

imBask

Banned
I guess yeah. A lot of it is non-issue for me, but I can see the annoyances with some things. Like the voice chat through app. I barely play games online and if I do I never use voice, so it doesn't affect me much but I see the annoyance behind it not being on the system itself. Then again, a lot of this is still unclear, so I'm on a 'wait and see'.

What else is bad news piling up? The price of accessories was the only other one I noticed and agreed with as being issues.

i'm basically just happy with Zelda and Mario, and the idea of a new Nintendo console. Everything else is turning me off

motion controls, the lack of games, the games announced, the lack of focus (HD rumble, motion, portable, home console, touch screen, joy-cons, joy-con grip, pro controller), the price for the console, the price of accessories, the internal storage vs having to buy an SD card, paid online, the "free game" with the paid online, apparently not being able to transfer your VC game AGAIN... add the charging thing, the battery life, the framerate being apparently bad on Zelda even on a TV

i'm holding on to my pre-order based on my inner 12 year old me wanting a new Nintendo, everything about it looks like a disaster in the making to me

Solo

I just want it for Zelda, bask. Guaranteed I never touch it again after. Same thing happened with my Wii. Same will happen for Switch. It's like, I'm so over Nintendo's shit, but I always have to play Zelda (although admittedly I skipped SS and the Wii U).

itschris

Well, that has to be the fastest free shipping I've ever experienced! My copy of DQ8 left Toronto at 10:45 last night, and it got delivered here (Winnipeg) at 10:24 this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom