• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
This really sucks, I wanted to play this over the week end :( (like probably a lot of you guys), oh well watch me send them another email tomorrow they better give me a 10$ certificate or something in apology.

Since I got prime in last November everything was going well with the shipping on my games , I hope this was an exception

They told me there was a stock shortage and it may be a couple days late.

AzerPhire

This really sucks, I wanted to play this over the week end :( (like probably a lot of you guys), oh well watch me send them another email tomorrow they better give me a 10$ certificate or something in apology.

Since I got prime in last November everything was going well with the shipping on my games , I hope this was an exception

Just buy a copy from a local store and when your mailed copy comes in return that to the local store.

I think I have posted this strategy 10+ in this thread.

There is 0 harm or risk in doing this.

killroy87

Just buy a copy from a local store and when your mailed copy comes in return that to the local store.

The amount of times we need to explain it to people, and then spend time assuring them it will be fine, is funny. i'd say they should post it in the OP, but I know no one reads that.

For those without a Switch pre-order, Toys R Us started doing in store pre-orders late this past Tuesday.

Not many people know and it is highly likely there are still pre-orders available at one of your local TRU locations.

Kyolux

The amount of times we need to explain it to people, and then spend time assuring them it will be fine, is funny. i'd say they should post it in the OP, but I know no one reads that.

Watch out. You'll irk a few people saying you're wasting that local store's time and money.

I just want it for Zelda, bask. Guaranteed I never touch it again after. Same thing happened with my Wii. Same will happen for Switch. It's like, I'm so over Nintendo's shit, but I always have to play Zelda (although admittedly I skipped SS and the Wii U).

I would love an SS without waggle.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I want Nintendos games but I dont want a Switch with all the fuckery surrounding it.

Maybe wait a year or two when theres more games to choose from and the price has dropped considerably. This thing is NOT gonna sell at its current price beyond the hardcore Nintendo fans, despite how much people will argue otherwise.

killroy87

I'm honestly baffled at the passionate negative reaction to the Switch. Coming off of what the Wii U was, this legitimately blows my mind.

Anth0ny

At a fundamental level, I personally have a hard time getting excited for a $400 system that plays only one game I'm interested in, and I can already get said game for $45 on a console I already own.

That was pretty cool on Nintendo's part. they would have had me completely by the balls if the Wii U version of Zelda came out, say, a month after the Switch version.

At a fundamental level, I personally have a hard time getting excited for a $400 system that plays only one game I'm interested in, and I can already get said game for $45 on a console I already own.

That was pretty cool on Nintendo's part. they would have had me completely by the balls if the Wii U version of Zelda came out, say, a month after the Switch version.

If Mario was a launch title they'd probably convince me.

I'm honestly baffled at the passionate negative reaction to the Switch. Coming off of what the Wii U was, this legitimately blows my mind.

That is exactly the point, everyone expected Nintendo to get their shit together and come out swinging after that failure.

Instead they seem to be making the same mistakes again, and then some.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It depends if you care about the portable aspect, which I feel is a very small niche. Unless you are the guy who brings a Switch to a club and asks random strangers to play 1,2,3 Joust with you I guess.

farisr

I don't know what's there to be baffled about.

A console that's less powerful than the xbox one, is being sold for a higher price than what a PS4 + Uncharted 4 bundle costs, has a pro controller that costs more than a $100 after tax, does not come with a pack in game, and has weird questionable decisions being made in regards to its online offering.

For people interested in it solely as a home console, it's a pretty bad offering at this point in time. However, things start to look better if you don't or have never owned a wii u and are going to make use of the portability aspect of it.

Palehorse

There is a caveat to this. If the local copy you get has a different SKU than the Amazon SKU the local store could decline your refund as they may not have the Amazon SKU in their system. This comes up with day one editions with specific DLC for certain retailers, which has been rarer in the last couple years.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think millions of 3DS owners would disagree with you.
3DS "bombed" compared to the DS, and even then, it took a big price drop less than a year after it came out for it to pick up.

If you're a kid, you can get a 400 dollar smartphone or a Switch... which would you choose?
If you're an adult, I assume most people have their phone/ipad/surface/whatever.

It's going to depend on the software and whether or not the third parties care enough to put their games on it. But once Scorpio comes out and Sony inevitable does PS4Pro2.0, the Switch is going to be an anachronistic device.

(This is forgetting the fact that you need to a) pay to play online and b) need a smart phone to use online features, and you're trying to sell a portable device to people who are already used to owning a portable device that they use all the time).

Moltenix

It depends if you care about the portable aspect, which I feel is a very small niche. Unless you are the guy who brings a Switch to a club and asks random strangers to play 1,2,3 Joust with you I guess.

I dunno yo, you could be chillin in the club playing some 1-2-Switch, milking some cows and be like:

"Sup, wanna come stroke my Joycons?"

killroy87

I don't know what's there to be baffled about.

A console that's less powerful than the xbox one, is being sold for a higher price than what a PS4 + Uncharted 4 bundle costs, has a pro controller that costs more than a $100 after tax, does not come with a pack in game, and has weird questionable decisions being made in regards to its online offering.

You're blaming the exchange rate more than Nintendo here :p

I can empathize with people passing because of the price, especially here in Canada. But, i dunno, i honestly feel that the games we know are coming in th epipeline is really, really solid. Are they all coming at launch? No, but welcome to being an early adopter of anything ever.

Moral of the story, it has never been a benefit to being an early adopter, not ever. It's purely for the super passionate fans and tech geeks who have to have the latest toys.

Getting mad that the launch lineup is poor is silly to me, like you've never been around for a console launch before. I still wake up in pools of sweat from the nightmares I have of the 3DS launch, and look how that turned out.

If you don't think Nintendo has done a good enough job of selling the console to you at the moment, that's tooooootally fine. But let's not let hyperbole get the best of us here, surely we're all smarter than to think we know enough to have a clear picture at this point in time.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

I can empathize with people passing because of the price, especially here in Canada. But, i dunno, i honestly feel that the games we know are coming in th epipeline is really, really solid. Are they all coming at launch? No, but welcome to being an early adopter of anything ever.

Moral of the story, it has never been a benefit to being an early adopter, not ever. It's purely for the super passionate fans and tech geeks who have to have the latest toys.

Getting mad that the launch lineup is poor is silly to me, like you've never been around for a console launch before. I still wake up in pools of sweat from the nightmares I have of the 3DS launch, and look how that turned out.

If you don't think Nintendo has done a good enough job of selling the console to you at the moment, that's tooooootally fine. But let's not let hyperbole get the best of us here, surely we're all smarter than to think we know enough to have a clear picture at this point in time.
The console feels like it's coming out because of some quarterly earnings report expectations rather than because it was ready. Imagine if they just put this out in the Fall and it launched with Splatoon and Mario instead?

killroy87

The console feels like it's coming out because of some quarterly earnings report expectations rather than because it was ready. Imagine if they just put this out in the Fall and it launched with Splatoon and Mario instead?

Sure, totally. I dunno what to tell you other than I own my "I bought a 3DS at launch and lived to tell about it" T-shirt, haha. That thing survived of Street Fighter IV and Pilotwings for like 4 months haha. I'm a Nintendo fan, I want to play Zelda, and I'll still be able to play Splatoon and Mario in the fall regardless, so it really doesn't hurt me any.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sure, totally. I dunno what to tell you other than I own my "I bought a 3DS at launch and lived to tell about it" T-shirt, haha. I'm a Nintendo fan, I want to play Zelda, and I'll still be able to play Splatoon and Mario in the fall regardless, so it really doesn't hurt me any.
Sure, I'm waiting for a Splatoon bundle with Squidboy/Squidgirl branded joycons. lol

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Sure, totally. I dunno what to tell you other than I own my "I bought a 3DS at launch and lived to tell about it" T-shirt, haha. That thing survived of Street Fighter IV and Pilotwings for like 4 months haha. I'm a Nintendo fan, I want to play Zelda, and I'll still be able to play Splatoon and Mario in the fall regardless, so it really doesn't hurt me any.

Pointing out the 3DS launch (one of the worst ever) to make the Switch look more favorable doesn't really work.

It also makes all those "we learned from the 3DS and Wii U launches, no more droughts" statements from Nintendo meaningless.

It's ok to be a Nintendo fan while being able to fairly criticize them. I mean I was a big Wii U supporter lol

They would have been a BIG hit for the Christmas season. As of right now...they're stumbling out of the gate. And we're seeing far too often lately that companies who stumble out of the gate, never recoup even if they correct the errors they first had.

farisr

Not really. The console is $300 in the US and Pro controller is $70. Still overpriced. Would've been fine if it was 250 and 60. But it isn't, so yeah, it's not the exchange rate.

And I removed my comment about games because it was subjective, but yeah, to me the first year of it is a poor offering, especially as a wii u owner who can play zelda and has played mario kart 8 to death on his existing system already. Also, I have been around plenty of console launches and bought multiple systems day 1, never had an issue with their lineups. Maybe this is average fair for nintendo, I don't know, there's probably a reason why I've never bought a nintendo system on launch day and this may very well be it, that nintendo launch lineups are generally not good enough to me.

But honestly, to me it absolutely feels like a console release rushed out before the end of their fiscal year rather than something that's ready. Especially when you see stuff like their online system not having been properly developed yet.

Edit: Actually looking back at a list, the wii u launch lineup was fine in my eyes too.

People like me are disappointed because we want nintendo to be a success, but to do that you need to have a good first year, which to me this doesn't have ahead of it and probably won't until the holiday season + a potential bundle/price drop.

jholmes

I thought the Wii U was a fun console with great games. Nintendo wants to kill it off early and get me to pay hundreds of dollars to play those same games again, but now with paid online.

Soooo not really following you.

killroy87

I thought the Wii U was a fun console with great games. Nintendo wants to kill it off early and get me to pay hundreds of dollars to play those same games again, but now with paid online.

Soooo not really following you.

It will be 4.5 years old? I think MK8 and Zelda are the only announced cross console games? And even if (when) Smash, Mario Maker, whatever release on Switch, you're entirely free to keep playing them on Wii U for free. Nintendo sure isn't holding a gun to your head. I've bought Beatles albums on like 6 different formats lol. Same with movies, I've owned like 4 versions of Shawshank Redemption haha. Each one was a brand new purchase, and each one was of my own volition.

Lol, I won't be changing any minds here, so no real point pressing it. Gaf gonna Gaf, I suppose.

mdubs

Banned

There have been times where the Amazon sku has been different from the in-store one. So best be wary, it is not a 0 risk strategy.

It also depends on whether you think abusing a store's return policy is 0 harm as well

Vibranium

Banned

I like the idea and don't care about power, it's just too expensive for me as a Canadian, especially with the online paywall. I'll maybe shell out $350 for a bundle that comes with a game in a year.

Haines

Banned
Grabbed a grey switch preorder at toysrus store.

Maybe im crazy but the redblue comes off king of gawdy if i want to take the thing anywhere. I appreciate why the colors exist but i hope to play this thing everywhere and grey looks clean

There have been times where the Amazon sku has been different from the in-store one. So best be wary, it is not a 0 risk strategy.

It also depends on whether you think abusing a store's return policy is 0 harm as well

Also sometime Best Buy likes to apply some kind of sticker on the paper wrap to claim it it's own, so you can't really do that with games that comes through amazon. Plus that sticker is generally adhesive and hard to remove, like really hard.

zroid

Banned

Maybe im crazy but the redblue comes off king of gawdy if i want to take the thing anywhere. I appreciate why the colors exist but i hope to play this thing everywhere and grey looks clean

I'm going to wait till I see them in person to decide for sure which one I want but as a proud owner of a Lime Green Game Boy Color, I'm pretty pleased that we're still getting bright and colourful handheld systems. Not everyone wants the same old white and black stuff Apple has made standard over the last 15 years!

We expected them to learn from Wii U and turn things around, instead they are messing up on basically every level. Also I was really excited for it so its that much more of a letdown.

Your not the only one, I'll probably buy a extra set in red and blue for the kid though.

Anth0ny

different colored joycons look so bad

I think this grey switch is the equivalent of the DS phat. in 2017 they'll release the black and white models that look much better, $50 less (maybe $80 less depending on how hard it bombs) and that'll be the standard look going forward

really not feeling the grey slab look of the thing. it looks incomplete

tiijj

Im waiting for the glow in the dark boo joy-con controller, like the 3ds coverplate.

B2-hN_jIIAAiux0.jpg:orig

source of the pic

Haines

Banned
I'm going to wait till I see them in person to decide for sure which one I want but as a proud owner of a Lime Green Game Boy Color, I'm pretty pleased that we're still getting bright and colourful handheld systems. Not everyone wants the same old white and black stuff Apple has made standard over the last 15 years!

Yes im totally down with the redblue but i just picture myself taking this place a lot of places and dont want to stand out. I still might get redblue ones in the future. Or who knows what colors the come out with

helpI have an old zelda wiiu preorder on amazon canada showing for 65 dollars

Any chance they will move this to the switch?

tiijj

Yes im totally down with the redblue but i just picture myself taking this place a lot of places and dont want to stand out. I still might get redblue ones in the future. Or who knows what colors the come out with

helpI have an old zelda wiiu preorder on amazon canada showing for 65 dollars

Any chance they will move this to the switch?

Yes, it's doable a couple or so people were successful in doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom