• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh? I have games from last year drop below $79 and it's still showing the discount. God of War, for example, dropped to $74.96 at some point and it's showing the E3 discount still applying.

The E3 discount would still apply to that. But the 20% that is applied is based on the full amount of $79.99. Your order will be around $63.99.

kevin1025

Banned
I am trying to recall how they handled this last year but I think they had their stuff matched about a day later.

The way I'm remembering is that they opened up on Monday with 20% discounts, and then on the Tuesday possibly they did a few $50 games. But then their 20% discount was a wreck and actually only somewhere between 18-19%.

But that's how I remember it, I definitely could be way wrong!

I am mostly relying on the ability to return in-store or for free via mail, and also I've only ordered four games so far.

Also: it's been about 45 minutes since I placed my second order (for RDR2 and Death Stranding) and the cancel button does not appear on my order. I'd be curious if that button is just a link, and whether you can hack the URL to give yourself the option to cancel whenever you want.

My concern is if I move and need to change shipping details for the games that won't be out for over a year, wouldn't want to be forced to travel back to the post office near here lol

Gaenor

Banned
If we have multiple games in one order, will they ship games individually as they come out or will they wait for the entire order to be ready ?

Will order my games one by one if so.

Definitely been under an hour for me until the cancel option disappears.

I am mostly relying on the ability to return in-store or for free via mail, and also I've only ordered four games so far.

Also: it's been about 45 minutes since I placed my second order (for RDR2 and Death Stranding) and the cancel button does not appear on my order. I'd be curious if that button is just a link, and whether you can hack the URL to give yourself the option to cancel whenever you want.

Hmm, that might be my mistake. For some reason i thought I heard 2 hours before, but I didn't actually research it. Could very well be 30 min.

Half hour confirmed!

If we have multiple games in one order, will they ship games individually as they come out or will they wait for the entire order to be ready ?

Will order my games one by one if so.

They ship them as they release. They're not going to hold back stock for the release of other games when some games 1) don't end up releasing and 2) don't even have a release date. They wouldn't reserve games endlessly until your order completes.

Does Walmart charge credit cards directly after an online pre-order or do they wait to charge until the game has shipped?

Charged when it ships.

Gaenor

Banned
They ship them as they release. They're not going to hold back stock for the release of other games when some games 1) don't end up releasing and 2) don't even have a release date. They wouldn't reserve games endlessly until your order completes.

Off course, what was I thinking !! Thanks a lot !

Damn. I want to see about this.

Edit: There is actual a ton of interesting stuff in the source regarding cancelling. No link though. There is a message in there about losing your delivery slot if you cancel.

Qwyjibo

RDR2 is such a dilemma. I'm having a serious case of 1st world problems with which version to order.

Ideally, I'd want to play it on PC. But will there be a PC version this time? There has to be, right?!

If not, PS4 or Xbox? Will I upgrade to a Scorpio? I mostly only bought my One S for the UHD blu-ray player (and obviously, SOME games).

Or wait for RDR2 Remastered for PS5?!??!

These difficult life decisions we all must endure...

The button does work. I've used it before. But as mentioned before, it goes away within a half hour.

Sure. The questions is whether or not you can use it after the 30 minutes is up and the button disappears. Could you theoretically save the link and use it to cancel after? I am checking the source to see if anything exists in there.

killroy87

RDR2 is such a dilemma. I'm having a serious case of 1st world problems with which version to order.

Ideally, I'd want to play it on PC. But will there be a PC version this time? There has to be, right?!

If not, PS4 or Xbox? Will I upgrade to a Scorpio? I mostly only bought my One S for the UHD blu-ray player (and obviously, SOME games).

Go PS4. Even if it is Scorpio compatible, Sony has a massive marketing deal for this game, they won't allow Rockstar to make a drastically better version for Scorpio than PS4 Pro.

I feel like Walmarts cancellation policy was established before they seriously considered pre orders. It makes sense to offer a 30 minute window for items that would be in stock so they give you a chance to cancel before it ships but if its an order that doesnt release for several months you should definitely be able to cancel. They need to re-evaluate this.

The button does work. I've used it before. But as mentioned before, it goes away within a half hour.

Oh, I assume the button works fine. What I meant is this: if I make an order, and then immediately go to the details page, can I copy the URL of the cancel button (assuming it's just a link), wait a few days (or hell, even a few hours), and then use that URL to cancel? Or is their ecomm backend smart enough to say "nope can't cancel F U."

kevin1025

Banned

If the game does come out in spring 2018, I wouldn't expect a PC version for 12 or so months. So if you do plan on playing it relatively soon, I'd say PS4 or Xbox is the way to go. With Sony having the marketing deal, they may have exclusive multiplayer missions or something like that. Pro vs Scorpio, not quite sure, at this point it's going to be more "which version has more particle effects or advanced graphical settings" more than one running better than the other, I would suspect.

Go PS4. Even if it is Scorpio compatible, Sony has a massive marketing deal for this game, they won't allow Rockstar to make a drastically better version for Scorpio than PS4 Pro.

Yep, I agree with you.

killroy87

I feel like Walmarts cancellation policy was established before they seriously considered pre orders. It makes sense to offer a 30 minute window for items that would be in stock so they give you a chance to cancel before it ships but if its an order that doesnt release for several months you should definitely be able to cancel. They need to re-evaluate this.

The whole online site is terrible. Can't cancel, can't easily change payment/shipping info. It's pretty bad. Much smaller companies have sites with much more functionality.

I knew I spotted this a few times today. It comes up on the order completion page...

Walmart%20Cancel_zpsklg8trhz.jpg

Gaenor

Banned

I'd say preorder both. If there's a noticeable difference between the versions, keep the Xbox copy if you have a Scorpio and if not, then keep the PS4 copy. You'll be able to sell your extra game quite easily for even more money on Kijiji anyway (unless you live outside of a city).

zroid

Banned
can someone explain to me the rationale behind "the price is hidden"? is there like some legal reason for it, maybe it counts as not being advertised or something like that

Sure. The questions is whether or not you can use it after the 30 minutes is up and the button disappears. Could you theoretically save the link and use it to cancel after? I am checking the source to see if anything exists in there.

Oh, I assume the button works fine. What I meant is this: if I make an order, and then immediately go to the details page, can I copy the URL of the cancel button (assuming it's just a link), wait a few days (or hell, even a few hours), and then use that URL to cancel? Or is their ecomm backend smart enough to say "nope can't cancel F U."

Clicking the button brings up a popup window that asks if you want to cancel? You say yes and are prompted for a reason. Just did it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
can someone explain to me the rationale behind "the price is hidden"? is there like some legal reason for it, maybe it counts as not being advertised or something like that
So you put it in your cart and are one step closer to checking out, I guess.

I have a different conundrum. I got an email for Star Wars just fine. But when I check my order history online, the details show up like this...

Star%20Wars_zpsfpedyjz3.jpg

They're charging me $81.31 for literally...nothing. Wondering if I should re-purchase.

killroy87

This is definitely not a modern system. I wonder how difficult it would be to simply change the amount of time they give you to cancel.

I would assume (and this is purely a guess) that their system isn't as tied in with the workings with the warehouse as Amazon's is. Amazon's system knows when they've started shipment of a product, so can update dynamically to remove cancellation options. Walmart must not be able to automate that, so they go "okay, we'll give them 30 minutes just so they can back out". The order may still not be processed until later on, but it doesn't sound like the two sides (website/warehouse) communicate with each other as well.

Obviously this is slightly moot since it's for preorders for stuff that won't be out for months, but the work it would take to take those into account (especially for orders containint one pre-order and one ready to ship item) would be quite large.

So you put it in your cart and are one step closer to checking out, I guess.

Yup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom