• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sealtest

Thinking about buying a Playstation VR with games,camera and controllers for $350 from Kijiji. What should I be looking for when I go and pick it up?

I'll be going to this person's house and will be able to test it

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I feel like we missed out on something when Americans have made hundreds of dollars at the latest Gamestop trade in fiasco. lol

JDH

When I click on the link, the deal is for Splatoon 1.

I guess he meant Splatoon 1. $40 for Splatoon 2 would be blazing hot.

Dammit, you had me excited for a sec.

Splatoon2 @ 40 would absolutely be blazing hot! :O

Splatoon 2 for 39.99 is lava hot but it turns out it's just the Splatoon 1

So sorry guys. I'm a moron. In my head I was battling whether to get this or just Splatoon 2 when it comes out, and I guess I subconsciously decided to skip this and go for Splatoon 2 :p THIS DEAL IS FOR SPLATOON on the Wii U.

No grapes for me.

khaaan

So sorry guys. I'm a moron. In my head I was battling whether to get this or just Splatoon 2 when it comes out, and I guess I subconsciously decided to skip this and go for Splatoon 2 :p THIS DEAL IS FOR SPLATOON on the Wii U.

No grapes for me.

I checked earlier too when I saw the thread about Amazon.com having a deal on Splatoon 2, I was hoping .ca was going to match :(

Hopeford

I really don't want to keep up with Bell anymore, but I don't know what to switch to. I considered Freedom mobile, but given a friend's experience with it I'd be paying not to have a phone.

...Is there any kind of miraculously cheap phone company I don't know about in Ontario? Like, I got my own phone already so I've got that going for me, but aside from that haha.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I really don't want to keep up with Bell anymore, but I don't know what to switch to. I considered Freedom mobile, but given a friend's experience with it I'd be paying not to have a phone.

...Is there any kind of miraculously cheap phone company I don't know about in Ontario? Like, I got my own phone already so I've got that going for me, but aside from that haha.
I think the Fido Manitoba thing (or was it Saskatechewan?) still works.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

Check out Public Mobile

Blam

I mean you could do those Craigslist/Kijiji deals people are doing which is essentially selling their Friends/Family & Employee plans to people.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I feel like we missed out on something when Americans have made hundreds of dollars at the latest Gamestop trade in fiasco. lol

We had the 50% promo many times a few months back. Not as good as 70% but not a bad deal at all.

Thats how most of us got our Switches.

eyesradar

Too bad I think you just missed the $50 4G rogers Canada day deal. Wait till Boxing Day I guess.

Hopeford

I think the Fido Manitoba thing (or was it Saskatechewan?) still works.

Huh, that's definitely something to consider. I actually didn't know about this.

I mean you could do those Craigslist/Kijiji deals people are doing which is essentially selling their Friends/Family & Employee plans to people.

Those always seemed kind of sketchy to me(but I admittedly never looked into them), would they actually be safe?

Check out Public Mobile

Hmm this is what I'm leaning towards. Only thing that's keeping me from them is that they are prepaid and I'd have to renew it every month...unless I'm misreading them and I can set it to renew automatically or something. Because then I'm totally signing up for that.

Too bad I think you just missed the $50 4G rogers Canada day deal. Wait till Boxing Day I guess.

Aw man, yeah that kinda sucks haha.

Seik

Banned

Honestly the Amazon double stack glitch (People got 79.99$ games for 55$ total because you could stack both Prime and E3 discounts) during E3 saved me more than a hundred dollars, so I'm at peace for a while.

Hmm this is what I'm leaning towards. Only thing that's keeping me from them is that they are prepaid and I'd have to renew it every month...unless I'm misreading them and I can set it to renew automatically or something. Because then I'm totally signing up for that.

I'm on PM. They have auto-pay, and my plan charges me every 3 months.

Just to make 300% sure before I take the plunge on the new TD $300 deal.... has anyone here ever closed a banking/chequing account with TD Canada Trust? If so, were you charged any fees for doing so?

How was the experience overall?

Firestorm

It renews automatically. Just no contract. Set it to autopay for another $2 off per month. You also get $1 off per month for each person you refer. I've been very happy with my service.

+1 for Public Mobile. You prepay every 90 days and the couple times they've changed plans, existing users got to keep what they had, so they won't sneakily charge you more.

One drawback is no Canada wide calling included.

Hopeford

That's awesome! I'm going to hop over to Brazil to visit family for a bit, but when I get back in like two weekish I'll switch to Public then.

I'll be sure to pop in the thread when I do so someone here can get the referral thing too.

I know! I'm wracking my brain right now! I can't handle this pressuuuuuure

Well, considering how limited they are, if you decide not to keep them or regret spending the money, you can likely sell either the Red & Blue or Gray joycons down the line with little issue.

I say go for it!

Iced

This is Best Buy, I guess I have 30 days to return it.

"Buy now, think later"

- Wise Canadian man

Edit: ^ Exactly!

xTDxMuu.jpg

Just to make 300% sure before I take the plunge on the new TD $300 deal.... has anyone here ever closed a banking/chequing account with TD Canada Trust? If so, were you charged any fees for doing so?

How was the experience overall?

You're in luck, I just did the same offer in its prior version earlier this year!

To make the cancellation as painless as possible, you can Interac E-Transfer your money out (it includes free transfers now) of the account and then just cancel over the phone, instead of going into a branch. It was completely painless and just a matter of a few minutes for me. I was not charged any fees and didn't even pay the monthly fee for the month I cancelled in.

I'd only warn caution that you be sure your planned eligible transactions are eligible. I found they were unexpectedly picky on that. I planned to use my Google AdSense payment direct deposit, but it turned out that they didn't consider that eligible. It had to be recurring and explicitly formal payroll, pension, or some other government payment. They also considered my Koodo Prepaid PAD to not count as a PAD in their books and only as a Visa Debit purchase.

Dazzler

Is it really that easy? Just go in to any Best Buy and ask for a Quebec number through Koodo?

As long as the staff are ok with bending the rules a little

I was able to get it at the Robson/Granville location in Vancouver. Member of staff gave me a knowing look when I asked, this obviously wasn't her first rodeo.

If you get a more rule following member of staff you might not get it, but nothing ventured nothing gained

eyesradar

I think the reason why Switches are hard to find here these days is because Ninty moved more stocks over to Japan due to the upcoming Splat2n release. The pre-order points thing is thru the roof there!

You're in luck, I just did the same offer in its prior version earlier this year!

To make the cancellation as painless as possible, you can Interac E-Transfer your money out (it includes free transfers now) of the account and then just cancel over the phone, instead of going into a branch. It was completely painless and just a matter of a few minutes for me. I was not charged any fees and didn't even pay the monthly fee for the month I cancelled in.

I'd only warn caution that you be sure your planned eligible transactions are eligible. I found they were unexpectedly picky on that. I planned to use my Google AdSense payment direct deposit, but it turned out that they didn't consider that eligible. It had to be explicitly recurring formal payroll, pension, or some other government payment.

This is great to hear - thanks for the input!

I've already checked all my planned transactions with a rep through their support chat line and they cleared all of them. ($4000 Account Minimum to avoid fees, Government GST Credit as a recurring Direct Deposit, and a simple $50 Credit Card Bill Payment = All Cleared to meet the requirements)

As for the actual offer payment itself, when did you receive yours after meeting the requirements? Did it take the full 8 weeks, or was it shorter?

Damn, thanks for trying to keep us notified. I'm looking for a second Switch for my wife now with Splatoon closing in.. I shouldn't have cut it this close..

Remember to join the Discord - link hidden in this post, quote to see - to get notifications on PC & mobile about Switch Stock, and keep an eye on retailers (both online & off) around the 17th-21st of July. Nintendo tends to send out shipments shortly before first-party game releases.

It happened with MK8D, ARMS, and should happen with Splatoon 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom