• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cake Boss

Banned
Walmart price matches right guys?

Also how accurate is the website's store stocks on Walmart and Bestbuy.ca?

I find it hard to believe that there isn't a single physical copy of Forza Horizon 3 in the whole Ottawa-Gatineau area from Bestbuy and Walmart.

This is badly stated by Square Enix but it's actually the higher quality CD OST version of the PS2 soundtrack that it gives you, everyone gets the lower quality PS2 one they've heard before ingame.

I only discovered this days ago.

What?

Why would they do this? I mean, having a different soundtrack as a pre-order bonus is okay (but at least make it available to purchase for others). But having a higher-quality version of the same soundtrack as a pre-order bonus? What's next, the high-resolution texture pack for a game is locked behind deluxe editions?

thats what would happen

Got it. Yeah, that does seem like it would be really annoying. Thanks for answering my question!

What?

Why would they do this? I mean, having a different soundtrack as a pre-order bonus is okay (but at least make it available to purchase for others). But having a higher-quality version of the same soundtrack as a pre-order bonus? What's next, the high-resolution texture pack for a game is locked behind deluxe editions?

It really confused me. I honestly don't get why they're doing this, or even offering the lower quality PS2 version in the first place if they're willing to give pre-orders the same OST at higher quality.

Luigi87

This is badly stated by Square Enix but it's actually the higher quality CD OST version of the PS2 soundtrack that it gives you, everyone gets the lower quality PS2 one they've heard before ingame.

I only discovered this days ago.

Ah, I stand corrected! Good to know.

UberTag

Real talk: I don't know why is this an issue? I can see why the constant cycle of pre-auths would be troublesome if you're near your credit limit; that I get. But if you're not near your credit limit, is there any harm to what Walmart's doing? I ask because I genuinely don't know if this is something to be concerned about or not.
I'm not near my credit limit but I do monitor my accounts routinely and don't want to have the headache of seeing a floating $67 charge deposit and withdrawal itself indefinitely once or twice a week for the better part of half a year. It clutters up my statement. It's not worth the aggravation of saving a few bucks on a game to deal with it.

Not to mention the principle of the whole thing. Amazon and Best Buy are perfectly content to charge me when an item ships... why shouldn't Walmart?

kevin1025

Banned
Real talk: I don't know why is this an issue? I can see why the constant cycle of pre-auths would be troublesome if you're near your credit limit; that I get. But if you're not near your credit limit, is there any harm to what Walmart's doing? I ask because I genuinely don't know if this is something to be concerned about or not.

For me, it's an issue when I didn't have a credit card and had chequing and savings accounts with varying amounts in it. So if I plopped over $30-40 for the item on my chequing and then it double charges before the first charge is reversed, it runs the potential of causing a $45 banking fee for not having the money in that specific account.

Plus they quadruple charge if the second charge doesn't go through, at least when it comes to Visa Debit. So that $30 item then becomes a $120 headache of waiting for chargebacks.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I'm not near my credit limit but I do monitor my accounts routinely and don't want to have the headache of seeing a floating $67 charge deposit and withdrawal itself indefinitely once or twice a week for the better part of half a year. It clutters up my statement. It's not worth the aggravation of saving a few bucks on a game to deal with it.

Not to mention the principle of the whole thing. Amazon and Best Buy are perfectly content to charge me when an item ships... why shouldn't Walmart?

Unless its getting posted, you have little cause for concern.

I know its pretty stupid of Walmart but they're just pending charges, nothings actually getting charged.

Is there a recent alternative to Kijiji that I don't know about?

2-3+ years ago you could post anything and get offers all the time and constantly find new items being posted.

Now it just seems dead.

I gave up on kijiji years ago, so many times I'd be stuck waiting around for people who wouldn't show, or they would and then lowball you. Not to mention the scanners and idiots who think you will trade games for random crap.

I take the hit and ebay or ebgames trade the stuff, and if it's game related maybe consider asking gaffers

CazTGG

How long does Target's authorization transaction last? The full amount for the Metroid: Samus Returns copies (I ordered an extra since there weren't any other games on Target for pre-order that weren't cheaper to buy from Amazon and I can always give one to a friend who misses it going up in Canada) is still showing up after roughly half a week.

Yes, but they're very stingy about the details, mostly due to an event not too long ago where people were getting PS4s for $30 or something like that.

How long does Target's authorization transaction last? The full amount for the Metroid: Samus Returns copies (I ordered an extra since there weren't any other games on Target for pre-order that weren't cheaper to buy from Amazon and I can always give one to a friend who misses it going up in Canada) is still showing up after roughly half a week.

Yes, but they're very stingy about the details, mostly due to an event not too long ago where people were getting PS4s for $30 or something like that.
Yup walmart no longer matches Amazon at all or EBgames for some reason.

kennah

Was going to pick up an old projection tv for free off someone in Quebec City through Kijiji. But I had to turn the guy down. It’s literally too big to fit in my Grand Caravan. I think the guy has been trying to get rid of it a while. It’s a monster.

Luigi87

If any of you are looking for the Spice and Wolf Collector's full series book Amazon has it on a huge discount right now ($53 for the entire series!) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/0316437220/

I cracked and bought one, it is very nice. I've only read the first volume a couple years ago but I liked it and this seemed too good to pass up

I just bought it. Honestly I've wanted to pick up volumes of Spice & Wolf for years now (I loved the anime, and that only covered vol. 1-3, 5 & 6), and I would be crazy to pass on this.

I'm sure this has already been brought up earlier in the thread but does anybody know anywhere that is taking SNES classic preorders yet?

Is it worth the price?

I have a feeling it's going to be one of the rare Nintendo games that doesn't stay full price very long. Honestly I say wait since it'll be even cheaper down the road plus there'll be more DLC.

The core game is really fun but I couldn't stop thinking, with how much there is to do at the moment it's the kind of game I would have rented from Blockbuster for the weekend and then moved on from. Traded it into EB Games since I couldn't find anyone to sell it to and I was more-or-less breaking even since I got it double-discounted.

MikeyMike

Still waiting for Crash Trilogy. Amazon says next Wednesday. Since I'm not a Prime customer, I should really have bought those games at Wal Mart.

Iced

Anyone have any experience with DHL? Said package was out for delivery at 16:00, but nothing has shown up yet and it's after 9 PM. Do they deliver super late sometimes?

Edit: Now it says "customs status updated" in CINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA.

LNkLtNM.png

shezbot

Anyone have any experience with DHL? Said package was out for delivery at 16:00, but nothing has shown up yet and it's after 9 PM. Do they deliver super late sometimes?

I've had 4 shipments from DHL (2 from Japan, 1 from Europe, 1 from US). 3 got hit with heavy duties, and were late. Customer service is a joke.

My fourth (US) I'm currently waiting on. It shipped from New Jersey and is holding in Germany before coming to Canada. Seems efficient. I was very mad when I found out they shipped using DHL. I hate them so much.

I hope you have a much better experience.

Iced

Oh, goodie.

Would the tracking info say if I was going to be dinged for any fees? There's no mention of it anywhere. In fact, shipping for this parcel has been incredibly fast up until this point.

Ryukori

Also how accurate is the website's store stocks on Walmart and Bestbuy.ca?

I find it hard to believe that there isn't a single physical copy of Forza Horizon 3 in the whole Ottawa-Gatineau area from Bestbuy and Walmart.

Try Toys R Us. They price match, and they have some in stock in some locations in Ottawa.

shezbot

Oh, goodie.

Would the tracking info say if I was going to be dinged for any fees? There's no mention of it anywhere. In fact, shipping for this parcel has been incredibly fast up until this point.

It wont say brokerage - you'll just get a letter a few weeks/month later. When I got my Famicom Mini from Japan, they lost the Famicom for a week in December, and customer service did nothing until it mysteriously showed up at my house two days before Christmas (Yay!). I got the brokerage on that one in March! When I complained to them in December they assured me that no brokerage would be charged - which apparently is just a thing you say to get people off the phone (not sarcastic - I totally fell for it). I complained but they said it was two different parts of DHL. They said I had to get DHL Japan to admit fault, and then DHL Canada would credit. Also - not a thing. Funny thing was DHL Japan got the item to Canada in 24 hours - it was DHL Canada that was the problem.

CazTGG

They're awful. Left my laptop outside my house despite requesting a signature specifically to ensure that wouldn't happen and made declaring customs a pain. As mentioned in another post, their customer service is atrocious and did little to resolve the situation.

I have a feeling it's going to be one of the rare Nintendo games that doesn't stay full price very long. Honestly I say wait since it'll be even cheaper down the road plus there'll be more DLC.

The core game is really fun but I couldn't stop thinking, with how much there is to do at the moment it's the kind of game I would have rented from Blockbuster for the weekend and then moved on from. Traded it into EB Games since I couldn't find anyone to sell it to and I was more-or-less breaking even since I got it double-discounted.

I just sold my copy on kijiji today because I realized I haven't played it in days and I've already had my fill. I guess I need a reason other than ranking up online to fire up a game, something to work towards. And no, unlocking the same 30 arms for each character doesn't do it for m- *gets thrown out of the thread by a grab spamming Ninjara*

I just sold my copy on kijiji today because I realized I haven't played it in days and I've already had my fill. I guess I need a reason other than ranking up online to fire up a game, something to work towards. And no, unlocking the same 30 arms for each character doesn't do it for m- *gets thrown out of the thread by a grab spamming Ninjara*

This is exactly what the issue with the game is, really. There's no major hook to really push you to keep coming back. There's no story or lore content or anything to flesh out the characters which is a shame since they're all so colourful. I don't even necessarily mean a full-blown story mode, but just some sort of custom intro/ending sequence for each character, some banter between them between matches, and things like that would have gone a long way. And the lack of unlockables is another big thing. Characters, stages, modes... That would have gone a LONG way to provide motivation to keep playing the game and try new things. Especially since getting the arms is such a grind. I hope the game gets a sequel because the core fighting is really good, but the game and its universe definitely don't feel as well-fleshed-out as they could which is a real shame.

Ventara

I've been kinda busy, and playing Ever Oasis, so I haven't had a chance to open my copy of ARMS, and after what I'm reading, I'm not sure if I should. Really hard and no story mode (yeah, I went in blind for the most part, my fault) is making me wonder if I should return it. But I got it off of Amazon and returning there is a pain.

Iced

So new question: I no longer need the item I ordered from Amazon Japan that is being sent to me via DHL. Can I call them and let them know I no longer want it? Would I get a full refund without any fees added? This was sold by Amazon Japan, not a third party seller. Hoping someone has had some experience with this. It's a pair of joy-cons.

Wasp14

This is exactly what the issue with the game is, really. There's no major hook to really push you to keep coming back. There's no story or lore content or anything to flesh out the characters which is a shame since they're all so colourful. I don't even necessarily mean a full-blown story mode, but just some sort of custom intro/ending sequence for each character, some banter between them between matches, and things like that would have gone a long way. And the lack of unlockables is another big thing. Characters, stages, modes... That would have gone a LONG way to provide motivation to keep playing the game and try new things. Especially since getting the arms is such a grind. I hope the game gets a sequel because the core fighting is really good, but the game and its universe definitely don't feel as well-fleshed-out as they could which is a real shame.

After reading this comment I realized I've only played ARMS three times since I got it. Just not my type of game. I got it in a "trade 3 get it for free" EB Games promo so it doesn't feel like a big hit or anything to throw it up on Kijiji.

Ventara

Hey guys, I have a Paypal question. I'll be doing some part-time online work for a little extra dosh, and the company (based in China) can pay me to my credit card or Paypal. They'll be paying me in USD, and I want to keep it that way without it getting converted to CDN (no offense). I know I can create some sort of sub account that will store foreign currencies, but Paypal just seems easier. What I'm wondering is is there any fees if I were to choose to transfer it to my debit card later on?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hey guys, I have a Paypal question. I'll be doing some part-time online work for a little extra dosh, and the company (based in China) can pay me to my credit card or Paypal. They'll be paying me in USD, and I want to keep it that way without it getting converted to CDN (no offense). I know I can create some sort of sub account that will store foreign currencies, but Paypal just seems easier. What I'm wondering is is there any fees if I were to choose to transfer it to my debit card later on?
IIRC Paypal takes a piece of it through currency conversion fees if you take it out. I'm not sure if you can get around that by making a USD bank account though.

As for fee's if you store it in paypal I'm fairly sure you'll have to use their conversion rate otherwise for fees I don't believe so.

Madness

How do we get the SNES classic without having to camp somewhere or pay scalpers hundreds more? Anyway to guarantee it? I never even saw the NES classic anywhere before it was discontinued.

Indelible

How do we get the SNES classic without having to camp somewhere or pay scalpers hundreds more? Anyway to guarantee it? I never even saw the NES classic anywhere before it was discontinued.

Hasn't gone up for pre-order in North America yet, only Europe has started pre-orders so far.

Best bet is preordering from Europe and hoping for the best.

Here's hoping we get preorders in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom