• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tapejara

I may be LTTP which is why I'm just putting it here, but for some reason the Prime discount on Tokyo Xanadu EX+ is broken:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01N4PCCN1/
The Prime price is 52 bucks.

Also not sure if I should keep the Vita version... the only reason I checked the PS4 version was because I got a shipping notice for the Vita version, which seems to be inferior in every way.

Ooh, seems Amazon raised the price from $64.99 to $74.99, but the Prime discount is still for the original price. Probably good to get an order in before they fix it.

JDH

I may be LTTP which is why I'm just putting it here, but for some reason the Prime discount on Tokyo Xanadu EX+ is broken:

Also not sure if I should keep the Vita version... the only reason I checked the PS4 version was because I got a shipping notice for the Vita version, which seems to be inferior in every way.

Thanks fire hawk! Just pre-ordered. I now have to look more into this game.

Hm, how quick is Aksys in discounting their games? I'm not sure when I'll be able to dedicate time towards this and I don't want to buy a game to have it discounted heavily a month later lol

Gxgear

Hm, how quick is Aksys in discounting their games? I'm not sure when I'll be able to dedicate time towards this and I don't want to buy a game to have it discounted heavily a month later lol
Digital: pretty fast, 6 months or less.
Physical: it'll likely go out of print first.

kswiston

I am moving to Edmonton in a month, and need to set up utilities and internet.

Who are the major internet service providers in Edmonton? Any impressions on which one is the best choice? Speed and reliability are important to me.

Who are the major internet service providers in Edmonton? Any impressions on which one is the best choice? Speed and reliability are important to me.

I have Telus. My gf has Shaw. I'm not 100% about speeds, but we both prefer Telus in terms of interface, ease of use, etc.

Enilced2

Depending on the area of the city with Telus you'll either be able get their 50mbps or if its a new area that has fiber you can get their 150mbps package.

Either way I would highly recommend them over Shaw. Shaw has some pretty bad throttling problems so you rarely getting full speed also they are quite a bit more expensive

kswiston

I have Telus. My gf has Shaw. I'm not 100% about speeds, but we both prefer Telus in terms of interface, ease of use, etc.

Depending on the area of the city with Telus you'll either be able get their 50mbps or if its a new area that has fiber you can get their 150mbps package.

Either way I would highly recommend them over Shaw. Shaw has some pretty bad throttling problems so you rarely getting full speed also they are quite a bit more expensive

Thanks for the replies. I'll look into Telus. 150mbps would be amazing if it is available in my new neighbourhood.

Dolobill

I've used Telus and Shaw and they seem the same to me. I'm curious about TekSavvy. You need your own router but they seem cheaper than the alternatives after the typical first 6 months discount that Shaw and Telus offer. You would save money in the long run.

Deeda

Thanks! Preordered for now.
I think you should cancel the Vita version, it has way less features. At the very least you can remote play c:

Thinking of upgrading my power brick - which is better, Anker PowerCore II or PowerCore +?

Unfortunately it doesn't look like the 20,000mAh PowerCore II is in stock at Amazon, do they restock them frequently?

I'm a big fan of Anker. Their end product is great. The packaging is well done. And their customer service is top notch. I had a USB hub that for whatever reason malfunctioned. I shipped it back to amazon then was contacted shortly afterwards by Anker for feedback on my purchase. I told them the hub failed so I ended up shipping it back for a refund. They sent me a new one free of charge.

And yeah...they do restock there amazon stock frequently.

I'm a big fan of Anker. Their end product is great. They packaging is well done. And their customer service is top notch. I had a USB hub that for whatever reason malfunctioned. I shipped it back to amazon then was contacted shortly afterwards by Anker for feedback on my purchase. I told them the hub failed so I ended up shipping it back for a refund. They sent me a new one free of charge.

And yeah...they do restock there amazon stock frequently.

I've heard good things about them, yeah - though I'm still a bit lost as to which would be more future-proof, the PowerCore II or the PowerCore +.

Savitar

Best compare the two with what is said about them, maybe see some reviews if you can.

And yes Anker is good, I got several of their items myself.

Moltenix

UberTag

I was charged for Splatoon 2 as well. Although I'm still more preoccupied with identifying which order they've preauthorized my debit card for $66.75 a grand total of 5 times and counting. Was given the phone number for head office when I inquired in person last week so I'll see if I'm able to put a stop to the charges tomorrow.
I figured out the issue was linked to my Gran Turismo Sport LE pre-order. Apparently they were perfectly content to run authorization charges through my bank account endlessly every 4 business days until this game ships - which probably won't happen until early 2018. I asked them to either stop the charges or cancel the order.

I stressed that I wanted to keep the order and have them charge me when the item ships (like most normal online retailers) and they should be content with that seeing how they've authorized my payment instrument 5 times without issue but that didn't seem to be a solution for them so I suspect I'm going to lose out on my discounted preorder and it'll just be outright cancelled.

Incidentally, for those of you who've also been charged for Splatoon 2 this week, my expectation based on Walmart.ca's practices is that charge will reverse itself and be replaced by additional charges repeatedly until the game ships on the 21st. So I'm expecting that charge to get reversed and reapplied 3-4 times or so. I'm willing to bear it for a few weeks but I wasn't willing to have to deal with that aggravation over the duration of several months for GT Sport.

Is there a recent alternative to Kijiji that I don't know about?

2-3+ years ago you could post anything and get offers all the time and constantly find new items being posted.

Now it just seems dead.

Is the Powercore+ you're looking at the one with the usb-c port? That might be better for future proofing since more devices will slowly start to transition to usb-c.

As for which is newer, I think the Powercore II series might be the newest ones.

Yeah, that's what threw me off - the Powercore+ has the USB-C port, but the Powercore II seems newer. (But lacks the USB-C.)

For charging a Switch, would the Powercore+ be the better option?

Hey pm me my fiance works for Shaw here in Edmonton and I can send you her business contact info to setup like internet, cable (if you want it and if you need a landline) she'll get you one of the unadvertised deals.

Shaw cable is your best bet, the other is Telus and I've had Telus here and it sucks for gaming. She should be able to get you the broadband 150 150mpbs down and I'm not sure what the upload is but thats what we have and I've never had an issue for gaming. downloading, ect;

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
fdbab9b36cecae78c78b503cad8098cb.jpg

I figured out the issue was linked to my Gran Turismo Sport LE pre-order. Apparently they were perfectly content to run authorization charges through my bank account endlessly every 4 business days until this game ships - which probably won't happen until early 2018. I asked them to either stop the charges or cancel the order.

I stressed that I wanted to keep the order and have them charge me when the item ships (like most normal online retailers) and they should be content with that seeing how they've authorized my payment instrument 5 times without issue but that didn't seem to be a solution for them so I suspect I'm going to lose out on my discounted preorder and it'll just be outright cancelled.

Incidentally, for those of you who've also been charged for Splatoon 2 this week, my expectation based on Walmart.ca's practices is that charge will reverse itself and be replaced by additional charges repeatedly until the game ships on the 21st. So I'm expecting that charge to get reversed and reapplied 3-4 times or so. I'm willing to bear it for a few weeks but I wasn't willing to have to deal with that aggravation over the duration of several months for GT Sport.

Real talk: I don't know why is this an issue? I can see why the constant cycle of pre-auths would be troublesome if you're near your credit limit; that I get. But if you're not near your credit limit, is there any harm to what Walmart's doing? I ask because I genuinely don't know if this is something to be concerned about or not.

Real talk: I don't know why is this an issue? I can see why the constant cycle of pre-auths would be troublesome if you're near your credit limit; that I get. But if you're not near your credit limit, is there any harm to what Walmart's doing? I ask because I genuinely don't know if this is something to be concerned about or not.

walmart accepts visa debit,

kennah

Hey pm me my fiance works for Shaw here in Edmonton and I can send you her business contact info to setup like internet, cable (if you want it and if you need a landline) she'll get you one of the unadvertised deals.

Shaw cable is your best bet, the other is Telus and I've had Telus here and it sucks for gaming. She should be able to get you the broadband 150 150mpbs down and I'm not sure what the upload is but thats what we have and I've never had an issue for gaming. downloading, ect;
This kind of stuff is the real deal. Had an awesome Shaw hookup when I lived in Winnipeg.

tsundoku

Shaw is cable so it might be trash depending how your neighborhood cable setup is but it gets you Wifi basically everywhere.
Telus is usually dsl so vice versa

both will give you at least a 5ghz kinda crappy dual band router so you can at least get decent signal strength depending on your house. But ive managed to have problems with just a few consoles and laptop/smartphone as a single person so probably get a decent router.

Both companies will sell you "150" which is neutered fibre with none of the consistency of fibre and none of the cost savings really

I usually go with shaw when I move though, right now the place i work at is shaw with a locked off network not for employees but I get my shaw wifi anyways and save on my phone data plan

Savitar

Is there a preorder bonus for Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age on Amazon.ca?

Sadly not, you only had the choice of the current version or the steel book version that sold out ages ago.

Also anyone else notice for best sellers number 13 isn't there?

Must be cursed

Luigi87

Is there a preorder bonus for Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age on Amazon.ca?

There is no store specific pre-order bonus.
The only bonus is that the Steelbook Edition comes with a download code for the original PS2 OST available in game instead of the remastered OST.

There is no store specific pre-order bonus.
The only bonus is that the Steelbook Edition comes with a download code for the original PS2 OST available in game instead of the remastered OST.

This is badly stated by Square Enix but it's actually the higher quality CD OST version of the PS2 soundtrack that it gives you, everyone gets the lower quality PS2 one they've heard before ingame.

I only discovered this days ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom