• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iced

Reposting for new page since it got buried and I can't find any info online:

Does anyone know how to change the "features and options" of the delivery to allow safe dropping? Every time I order from Best Buy the driver is instructed not to safe drop. Even if I leave a sign on my door saying it's okay, they won't do it. I live in an apartment building and trust everyone on my floor so it's not an issue for me.

Deeda

Depends on how long you're willing to wait. I feel like you can get a Switch before too long, provided you keep an eye on this thread or (maybe better option?) the #switch-hunt channel in the Discord. I got a Switch thanks to someone in this thread noting that Best Buy was going to put some up at a certain time, and letting Check4Change do the rest.

It's definitely not as bad as the Wii days, when you had to line up in the cold for hours before opening just to get one. God, if only online ordering was more prevalent back then...

Hmm I guess I'll wait it out some more. Thanks for your help!

PS: Would love if someone can PM me the discord link/invite. Thanks!

Iced

Sign up for stock alerts on Zoolert and Nowinstock. You can get emails and texts for both, I believe. Was a huge help for me several months ago.

Sure. Quote this for the invite.

I think you might like the Switch if you never had a Wii U. BOTW, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon 2 alone are excellent and will definitely last until Odyssey comes out, then there's the various third-party and indie games out already. They'll probably do another major restock once Splatoon 2 is out on the 21st, since Nintendo have been timing restocks with major first-party releases. Definitely keep an eye out for that next.

Does anyone know how to change the "features and options" of the delivery to allow safe dropping? Every time I order from Best Buy the driver is instructed not to safe drop. Even if I leave a sign on my door saying it's okay, they won't do it. I live in an apartment building and trust everyone on my floor so it's not an issue for me.

Not an expert by any means, but maybe talk to whatever couriers they use? So, if they use Canada post, talk to them to maybe have your address listed as okay to safe drop? Not sure how it works honestly; I almost always get my deliveries to my door, but there are the odd moments where suddenly the delivery person decided not to drop it at my door.

zroid

Banned
for those so inclined

andHUH0jT4yzfdFDdcjXmw.png

Currently chatting with Amazon to demand they fulfill my price error FFXII order from back in March that was cancelled, haha.... (the thirst is real)

Back when I lived in a different building, I asked my mail carrier about this. Long story short: you can't. Canada Post has to do whatever the sender tells them to do, and Best Buy will not turn off "no safe drop" on smaller, less expensive items like video games because of mail fraud (i.e. people saying they didn't get a game and having Best Buy send them another copy). My mail carrier at the time said he got lots of requests to just drop things off with the concierge like other mail, and that it would actually be EASIER for him to do so, but unless Best Buy changes their policy he can't.

The most hilarious part is that I also got my Wii U shipped from Best Buy, and THAT was apparently okay to safe drop. I guess because a console is well over the max insurance claim, so they wouldn't be on the hook to send you a second console if you claim you never got the first one?

Iced

Not an expert by any means, but maybe talk to whatever couriers they use? So, if they use Canada post, talk to them to maybe have your address listed as okay to safe drop? Not sure how it works honestly; I almost always get my deliveries to my door, but there are the odd moments where suddenly the delivery person decided not to drop it at my door.

Good suggestion, thanks! I decided to just bare the phone wait time and call, and was told that it's up to Best Buy to do that and it cannot be changed. I just signed up for Flex Delivery though, so I'll be having all my packages sent to post office going forward (which is a 5 minute walk). Thanks for the suggestion though!

kevin1025

Banned
What are the best retro games store in Ottawa?

Microplay downtown as mentioned, there's another Microplay on the other side of Bank St in South Keys... The one in South Keys can be great unless it's PS1 JRPG's (then they charge insane prices). On the weekends just outside of Ottawa is the Carp Fair, that has a pretty big retro game section. Plus on March Road in Kanata the other day I noticed a place called Gaming Kingdom, though their retro game prices seem a little steep.

BTails

Any hope that Amazon might restock the Switch for Prime Days? I'm heading on a 2.5 week vacation in a couple weeks, and with a 1-Year Old who has an early bedtime, it means a lot of evenings in the hotel room... Zelda would help!

Megasoum

Banned
So I'm thinking about buying Elite Dangerous on the PS4...

Thus is really annoying... The game with season pass is 80$ on PSN or 60$ at retail...

I much prefer digital games and actually kinda hate discs but shit... 20$ difference

jokkir

Alright, guys. Who's going to host the official canada deals nuggets + pizza party? We can complain about shipping, amazon, and Switch games prices in real life.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I got a $10 code from the Amazon App. Is there any way to apply it to an old order (Splatoon 2) or do I have to create a new order?

kevin1025

Banned
I got a $10 code from the Amazon App. Is there any way to apply it to an old order (Splatoon 2) or do I have to create a new order?

If you go into order details of the order, you can manually add the code in. Not sure if the app does that, though, but the desktop version definitely does! But if you already added the money to your account, it'll have to be for a new order.

If you go into order details of the order, you can manually add the code in. Not sure if the app does that, though, but the desktop version definitely does! But if you already added the money to your account, it'll have to be for a new order.

if you added to your account should still be able to do so

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

Its a promo code

Going to payment method only lets me enter a new credit card on mobile. Ill check on desktop I guess

Hazu

Forgot to cancel two copies of FFXII, ended up receiving 5 today lol (two of them are for my friends though).
Should I try to resell them online of will Amazon get mad at me if I return them ?

Bronetta

How'd you get the code? I didn't see any way to get it on the day

You had to sign into the Amazon app a few days back and they sent a $10 promo code to my mail. Not sure if its still ongoing.

Turns out the promo code cant be applied to previous orders. Has to be used when placing a new order. Guess I have to hope soemthing catches my eye during the Prime deals. If not I'll probably get a Switch carrying case.

Bronetta

Managed to snag one of the switches off of Walmart that leeman posted. Is there a consensus on a good screen protector and case?
Congrats! :D

I personally use amFilm's tempered glass and have been extremely happy with the results. It's clear, doesn't interfere with the touch screen at all, doesn't feel like a tight squeeze in the dock (to me), and best of all, I was able to apply it easily without getting any bubbles. As for a case, I use a Hori Tough Pouch. Fits five games, and one accessory. It's compact, which is what I wanted.

If you have Amazon Prime, this "starter pack" is a part of Amazon Day. I can't comment on the quality of the products, though.
(but it's better to go with tempered glass over plastic protectors, imo)

Quadratic

Just a quick question about the Amazon.ca orders that didn't have tax added on June 24th. I remember seeing people not getting taxed on things they bought that day.

Did the tax get recalculated and added when the item shipped after the bug was fixed?

I still have preorders I made that day with no tax on them.

Bronetta

Just a quick question about the Amazon.ca orders that didn't have tax added on June 24th. I remember seeing people not getting taxed on things they bought that day.

Did the tax get recalculated and added when the item shipped after the bug was fixed?

I still have preorders I made that day with no tax on them.

Yeah tax will be added to everything, whethee your invoice shows it or not.

The glitch only applied to stuff that was charged or shipped on that one day.

Quadratic

Yeah tax will be added to everything, whethee your invoice shows it or not.

The glitch only applied to stuff that was charged or shipped on that one day.

Thanks, I should have actually bought some stuff that day. No harm no foul, it's stuff I would have wanted even with tax.

Savitar

They're out of stock on the steel case for FFXII where my order is concerned but I still got a date when I should get it and got my shipping bumped up to expressed so.....yay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom