• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dot-N-Run

DEAL:

Oculus Rift + Touch controllers is $549 on Amazon.

Part of a greater deal where it will be this price at all retailers for six weeks. The price difference between this an VIVE is huge now (550 vs 1150)

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00VF0IXEY?th=1&psc=1

Pretty tempted after having tried VR for the first time this weekend.

That is actually a really good price, seems to be cheaper than even getting a PSVR + move controllers.

Haines

Banned
Wow isnt that the same price as the states?

Link just says 679 for a headset. How do i find the deal?

Oh, i see its 399 in states.

imBask

Banned
So what happens when you miss a shipment from Amazon's delivery people? Do they keep retrying until someone is there?

depends on the company, some will keep coming back, some will leave a note and drop it at the nearest post-office or pickup place, and the worst ones will just drop it there and leave

joedick

This is my first prime day as a member, so I'm wondering if the prime sales are the ones we can already see in the 'upcoming deals' section on amazon, or do they add them once prime day officially starts?

This is my first prime day as a member, so I'm wondering if the prime sales are the ones we can already see in the 'upcoming deals' section on amazon, or do they add them once prime day officially starts?

The deals go up at 9pm Eastern. I think the upcoming deals are just your garden variety lightning deals and whatnot, maybe spiced up a bit for pre-Prime Day but nothing special.

Prime Day will also probably be nothing special but it's always nice to hope

joedick

The deals go up at 9pm Eastern. I think the upcoming deals are just your garden variety lightning deals and whatnot, maybe spiced up a bit for pre-Prime Day but nothing special.

Got it, thanks! Do they preview any upcoming prime deals, or do you have to be on at the right time when a deal goes live?

Haines

Banned

Honestly, dont expect much. It feels like a marketing ploy to make people go on the website more than anything.

Maybe this year will be better though.

Got it, thanks! Do they preview any upcoming prime deals, or do you have to be on at the right time when a deal goes live?

Not sure but I believe the usual practice is to show upcoming products a few hours in advance (if you've looked at the lightning deals page during Boxing Day or Black Friday, for example, I'm expecting it to be like that). Also, Amazon put out a press release previewing some of tonight/tomorrow's deals.

Honestly, dont expect much. It feels like a marketing ploy to make people go on the website more than anything.

Maybe this year will be better though.

I doubt it! But I did hold off on buying a motherboard and power supply on the remote chance that something interesting gets a discount.

There's always like... Maybe 2 or 3 good deals but they also tend to go fast. I think last year some people here managed to cop some Sennheiser 598's for $100 something which is a great price.

explodet

So I'm in the market for a new phone and I'm probably going to go El Cheapo this time 'round.
Right now I'm eyeing the Moto G5 Plus 2GB model, and after shopping around, I'm wondering why the hell it's so pricey up here compared to the States.

Amazon US: USD$230 (~CAD$305)
Amazon CA: CAD$400

A markup of 100 bucks? WHY

joedick

Not sure but I believe the usual practice is to show upcoming products a few hours in advance (if you've looked at the lightning deals page during Boxing Day or Black Friday, for example, I'm expecting it to be like that). Also, Amazon put out a press release previewing some of tonight/tomorrow's deals.

I doubt it! But I did hold off on buying a motherboard and power supply on the remote chance that something interesting gets a discount.

Thanks again! Expectations have been set accordingly.

krae_man

So I'm in the market for a new phone and I'm probably going to go El Cheapo this time 'round.
Right now I'm eyeing the Moto G5 Plus 2GB model, and after shopping around, I'm wondering why the hell it's so pricey up here compared to the States.

The phone was never released in Canada. That's a third party seller importing it and selling at a markup.

Unfortunately we only have the G5, or the Z2 Play. The Z2 Play a slight improvement on the G5 Plus, but it's $700+ for some stupid reason.

Just went to check the tracking on my FF12 on Canada Post's site, and it says their site is undergoing maintenance until NEXT SUNDAY. wtf, that's stupid. :(

Edit: if I click the link from my best buy e-mail, the tracking works. Stupid site :p

Takuan

Why not just order from .com? They ship to Canada, and you're charged import fees upfront so you don't have to pay a dime extra. Should work out to less than the re-seller.

Speaking of exchanges, I hadn't realized the exchange rate was bumping closer to 0.78.
Yup, USD has been weakening. I hope this trend keeps up as I'll be there at the end of the month and am holding out to exchange.

explodet

Why not just order from .com? They ship to Canada, and you're charged import fees upfront so you don't have to pay a dime extra. Should work out to less than the re-seller.
Agreed. That's pretty much what I'm gonna do if I go with this phone, I just wanted to gripe about the importing price gap. But as krae_man mentioned above, I didn't realize the phone never made it up here.

Speaking of exchanges, I hadn't realized the exchange rate was bumping closer to 0.78.

FN-2187

It doesn't look like they have that exact phone, but I just wanted to recommend you check https://www.bhphotovideo.com/ if you haven't already. That's where I bought my last unlocked phone (was Nexus 5X) and they were the cheapest by $50 even with customs clearance (which you can pay upfront) and exchange rate. Shipping was also free and super fast. I am in GTA, but I got the phone in 3 days.

Returners

It doesn't look like they have that exact phone, but I just wanted to recommend you check https://www.bhphotovideo.com/ if you haven't already. That's where I bought my last unlocked phone (was Nexus 5X) and they were the cheapest by $50 even with customs clearance (which you can pay upfront) and exchange rate. Shipping was also free and super fast. I am in GTA, but I got the phone in 3 days.

Bookmarked. Thanks!

hopeully bomberman switch goes to like $30..............:(

I want to say that anyone expecting video game deals out of Prime Day is begging to be disappointed, but I actually don't know. I feel like you really shouldn't expect them, though.

EDIT: except for the bit where the press release said "up to 40% on PC gaming products," I missed that bit. Still could just be crappy overpriced peripherals, though.

Kyolux

I want to say that anyone expecting video game deals out of Prime Day is begging to be disappointed, but I actually don't know. I feel like you really shouldn't expect them, though.

Based on last year, yup.

I did love the pressure cooker I got last year though.

Also fuck the hospital system in Quebec. I got bumped off my surgery because the ICU bed they had for me tonight was taken by someone that came in last night.

jholmes

Mine still "shipping soon". Feels like they'll run out or something before shipping mine.

Don't want to poke the bear though.

If you live near a distribution centre like I do they just spend all day doing that so they can ship it out at 10 p.m. or something like that. I think the idea is to make sure you don't get it early and they break the street date (not that they don't do that anyway). I wouldn't worry about it until about midnight.

Kyolux

If you live near a distribution centre like I do they just spend all day doing that so they can ship it out at 10 p.m. or something like that. I think the idea is to make sure you don't get it early and they break the street date (not that they don't do that anyway). I wouldn't worry about it until about midnight.

Hmm I live about 5 hours away from the distribution center. I wouldn't call it close.

Haven't owned or played a Wii U but I have played Zelda and Puyo Puyo Tetris on a friend's Switch. I really like it just not sure if I should jump on it in case we get it on Amazon.ca

Depends on how long you're willing to wait. I feel like you can get a Switch before too long, provided you keep an eye on this thread or (maybe better option?) the #switch-hunt channel in the Discord. I got a Switch thanks to someone in this thread noting that Best Buy was going to put some up at a certain time, and letting Check4Change do the rest.

It's definitely not as bad as the Wii days, when you had to line up in the cold for hours before opening just to get one. God, if only online ordering was more prevalent back then...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom