• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.
qGyA5Tz.png

Let's go Lisa Raitt

Fuck Trump, fuck his supporters, and fuck his wannabe copycats running for the Conservatives.

Leeness

You know, a lot of people complain about Trudeau or don't agree with him or think he's doing a straight up bad job, or not enough (c'mon with the electoral reform...), but...

Relatively speaking right now, we are so lucky to a) have gotten rid of the Cons when we did, and b) to have someone like Trudeau, who is great guy just as a person. Maybe you don't agree with his politics, but he's a good person, and we're lucky to have him right now :/

Yeah, he can't call Trump out and has to play nice, but you know he's as disgusted as we are, because we know he's a good human being. :/

mdubs

Banned
You know, a lot of people complain about Trudeau or don't agree with him or think he's doing a straight up bad job, or not enough (c'mon with the electoral reform...), but...

Relatively speaking right now, we are so lucky to a) have gotten rid of the Cons when we did, and b) to have someone like Trudeau, who is great guy just as a person. Maybe you don't agree with his politics, but he's a good person, and we're lucky to have him right now :/

Yeah, he can't call Trump out and has to play nice, but you know he's as disgusted as we are, because we know he's a good human being. :/

This x1000. I have my beef with the electoral reform bungling and the assist-dying legislation, but I'm very happy in the balance to have a good and decent person in charge.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I don't want to be all negative about our Albertan and prairie brothers and sisters. When their times are good, they help support the other provinces via the equalization payment. Now they're hurting and the rest of us should help them. When oil price is high, our manufacturing base in Ontario struggles. Now it is the opposite due to our low dollars. Can't we all just get along and not crap on fellow Canadians?

All it takes for a good human being to become a bad one is to remain still when action is called for.

djkimothy

I feel like he's our Obama right now. Will probably be taken for granted and criticized but he's taken a very humane stance in these troubled social times.

Kevin O'Leary is following Trump's lead, pretending the national economy is a Great Depression style disaster. On a case by case basis, it can look pretty bad. On the whole, though, not so much.

I don't like them, but Trump has policies. Protectionism, bringing back jobs from China and Mexico, etc...

O'Leary has nothing of that. Just the usual rhetoric of cutting spending and cutting taxes.
Cutting taxes will not bring jobs here in this climate. Cutting spending would sink the economy and the deficit is already a problem.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I think it's going to be hard to balance the desire to criticize our PM, based on the very good idea of trying to keep your most powerful politicians accountable and attempting to always do better - with the overwhelming feeling of relief that we aren't in the same situation as many other places in the world right now.

I don't want to be all negative about our Albertan and prairie brothers and sisters. When their times are good, they help support the other provinces via the equalization payment. Now they're hurting and the rest of us should help them. When oil price is high, our manufacturing base in Ontario struggles. Now it is the opposite due to our low dollars. Can't we all just get along and not crap on fellow Canadians?

I agree, but I really wish people in rural areas, Alberta, Sask, would listen to new ideas and stop thinking of politics like supporting a sports team (not a problem exclusive to them).

Someone really needs to communicate better on why it's a great idea and beneficial to not only Canada, but them as an individual to fight climate change, start transitioning away from old technology, and face the problems of the future.

I don't like them, but Trump has policies. Protectionism, bringing back jobs from China and Mexico, etc...

O'Leary has nothing of that. Just the usual rhetoric of cutting spending and cutting taxes.
Cutting taxes will not bring jobs here in this climate. Cutting spending would sink the economy and the deficit is already a problem.

you call those policies?

the guy was humilatied on the world stage after all that chest pumping then.... nothing.
20% tarfis against Mexico... Twitter Twitter........ then nothing.
Because Senators, Congressmen and Governors don't want fuckin' tarfis

the US is NOT going impose tarifs on Mexico because it will be American consummers who will pay for it.

the Republican Governors from states who really on trade with Mexico are NOT on board with Trump's stupid ass "policy" which isn't even a policy

policiy pfff ... I pfff at that

Leeness

All it takes for a good human being to become a bad one is to remain still when action is called for.

What, that he's not calling Trump out entirely?

This x1000. I have my beef with the electoral reform bungling and the assist-dying legislation, but I'm very happy in the balance to have a good and decent person in charge.

I feel like he's our Obama right now. Will probably be taken for granted and criticized but he's taken a very humane stance in these troubled social times.

Basically. Keep being a good guy, Trudeau, and try your best with politics to at least not fuck it up lol.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Harper was a massive danger because he continued to chip away at the things that keeps Canada from being the giant mess the U.S. has become. I remember it being under him that questions of how Canada could afford to keep universal health care, and whether it might be better to privatize started popping up. I haven't heard any murmuring talk of that since he's been gone.

People have to stop looking at the absence of sudden rapid changes like what Trump is now doing, and thinking everything must be fine. It's a never-ending tug of war where one side starts to gain ground way before things all fall apart. As a country with established left-leaning pillars, Harper could only slowly try to chip away at what was there and slowly shift things to the right. Continue with people like him, and maybe 10-30 years down the line Canada will be where the U.S. is.
Very good point.

Phil Plait likes to post this quote (originally by Leonard H. Courtney) a lot, but he's right:
"The price of liberty is eternal vigilance"
WJUItaD.png

Mulcair came out and called Trump a Fascist yesterday... though unfortunately Trudeau has to be "diplomatic" if he doesn't want to fuck over Canada with president golden showers running the show.
Good on Mulcair. Maybe he has more balls than Trudeau, or maybe it's just that he can afford to be blunt since he's not PM.

qGyA5Tz.png

Let's go Lisa Raitt

Fuck Trump, fuck his supporters, and fuck his wannabe copycats running for the Conservatives.
Um... "purchasing"?

True. Trudeau better not fuck this up.

mdubs

Banned
Good on Mulcair. Maybe he has more balls than Trudeau, or maybe it's just that he can afford to be blunt since he's not PM.

He can - Trudeau has to be careful. Trudeau calling out Trump isn't going to do a damn thing or save a damn person. If we can defy him by taking more refugees where we can, that will actually save lives. Provoking Voldemort will only prevent this from happening, and potentially a) tank our economy when he gets butthurt and retailiates, and b) potentially get us annexed.

bremon

Many of us out West can see the big picture. Sadly, I know plenty of people who "want their jobs back" and feel owed a debt by eastern Canada, yet have spent 5-10 years making 6 figures and don't have a nickel and a dime to rub together. It's ridiculous.

His "bring back jobs" and protectionism mantra is a pipe dream that, if realized, will be a weight on the backs of the average Americans who will suffer.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
qGyA5Tz.png

Let's go Lisa Raitt

Did that too. I want to help shape our Conservative party to be more moderate and not get taken over by crazies.

CazTGG

Trudeau's little sub-tweet is certainly appropriate, even if what it's a response to is a truly horrifying decision that will lead to people either dying or further resenting the United States of America. That said, I would have loved to see a more witty insult like the one's Pierre Elliot would come up with when it came time to dealing with Republican presidents (he once made Reagan recite "The Shooting of Dan McGrew" because that's the kind of guy Pierre was), to say nothing of the more direct remarks uttered by Jean "there's no pill for this kind of stupidity" Chretien and Kim Campbell during the campaign. That said, I don't expect Trudeau to ever do this since it's not his style of politics when it comes to dealing with people who share opposing views (and are also racist...and sexist...and homophobic...and transphobic because none of these are viewpoints). I recall reading a piece on how Justin was introduced to one of his father's political opponents when he was younger after insulting said opponent, which helps to inform his beliefs as they've been displayed thus far. As I have said since he won his majority, I am simply glad Harper is no longer in power.

I don't like them, but Trump has racism. Racism towards China, Mexico, etc...

Fixed.

Zekes!

Trump has delusions

gabbo

Trudeau's little sub-tweet is certainly appropriate, even if what it's a response to is a truly horrifying decision that will lead to people either dying or further resenting the United States of America. That said, I would have loved to see a more witty insult like the one's Pierre Elliot would come up with when it came time to dealing with Republican presidents (he once made Reagan recite "The Shooting of Dan McGrew" because that's the kind of guy Pierre was), to say nothing of the more direct remarks uttered by Jean "there's no pill for this kind of stupidity" Chretien and Kim Campbell during the campaign. That said, I don't expect Trudeau to ever do this since it's not his style of politics when it comes to dealing with people who share opposing views (and are also racist...and sexist...and homophobic...and transphobic because none of these are viewpoints). I recall reading a piece on how Justin was introduced to one of his father's political opponents when he was younger after insulting said opponent, which helps to inform his beliefs as they've been displayed thus far. As I have said since he won his majority, I am simply glad Harper is no longer in power.

Fixed.

Not just any opponent, Joe Clark of all people.

lol
the alt-right going at Chong: "Muslim is not a race."

I love how they say that like it's perfectly fine to discriminate based off of religion, but discrimination based off of race is too far. Like for fuck sakes I would have a planck length more respect for them if they were upfront with how much of abhorrent pieces of shit they were instead of trying to pretend they are being somewhat moral.

I really hope we can continue to kick these fuckers to the curb come the Conservative leadership race.

Mr.Mike

This Nick Kouvalis guy behind Leitch's campaign is a huge dipshit.

Bernier's response is also pretty pathetic. "Libertarian" my ass.

Chris Alexander "cleverly" avoids being pro-refugee. Also pretty pathetic.

Obhrai and O'Toole both call out the ban as ineffective and unfair. Good, but personally I'm not a fan of the ineffectiveness of the ban being used as an argument, because a ban would be wrong regardless of how effective it was.

O'Leary points out that he himself is brown. And if he hasn't bent to the racist demo now, I can't imagine he will later. So thankfully at least our Trump won't be racist.
Chong calls it out as racist. A+

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I love how they say that like it's perfectly fine to discriminate based off of religion, but discrimination based off of race is too far. Like for fuck sakes I would have a planck length more respect for them if they were upfront with how much of abhorrent pieces of shit they were instead of trying to pretend they are being somewhat moral.

I really hope we can continue to kick these fuckers to the curb come the Conservative leadership race.

Not race based!!!

Oh yes, how many other races are coming out of those countries, you knobs?

I really hope Canadians take a strong stand against these fascists.

Trudeau all the way

I kind of wish there was an easy way to see if the trolls attacking Chong are Canadian or not without having to click on their individual profiles. I'd like to assume it's just American assholes who feel the need to respond to any anti-Trump statement that anyone on twitter makes.

pr0cs

Now they're hurting and the rest of us should help them.
We are! We're telling tens of thousands of people that they should abandon their career and go back for retraining otherwise we are going to drag them kicking and screaming into the next century.
I wonder sometimes if people really understand the logistics of how the world actually works.
Like it or not we are tied to hydrocarbons for the next century at least. We can produce it ourselves and reap the rewards and feed our families or we can import it and rely on other nations.

Leeness

All this stuff from the US got me going today. Donated to the ACLU to help our friends down south, and bought a membership to the conservatives (🤢) so I can vote in their leadership race. I still don't know who is the least crappy person to vote for, but I hope it will become more clear by the time the vote rolls around. :/

Mr.Mike

We are! We're telling tens of thousands of people that they should abandon their career and go back for retraining otherwise we are going to drag them kicking and screaming into the next century.
I wonder sometimes if people really understand the logistics of how the world actually works.
Like it or not we are tied to hydrocarbons for the next century at least. We can produce it ourselves and reap the rewards and feed our families or we can import it and rely on other nations.

No, what we are saying is that we should do everything we can to help people get the retraining they might need. Albertan oil won't be profitable to extract in a world where Trump allows American frackers to frack as much as they want. Environmentalists aren't the people hurting the Albertan economy, not while Trump is President. We can't reap the rewards. If we want to have good paying jobs for everyone we need to find another way.

Trudeau is allowing the pipelines to be built. This will make Albertan oil more competitive as it will be cheaper to transport. And some of the extraction will continue to be profitable at current oil prices, and will continue to happen and provide good jobs. In fact, more of the extraction will be profitable than had been before because of the pipelines. And I support that. But the jobs that were around because of oil being more than a hundred dollars a barrel made them profitable, those probably aren't coming back anytime soon. And it's not the left's fault, and there is no amount of environmental deregulation or reducing carbon taxes that will bring all of them back (maybe a few to be honest, but not enough). Hell, if the left in America had their way the fracking wouldn't be happening, the price of oil would be higher, and there would be more jobs in Alberta.

I think it's pretty clear that we are entering into a transitional period with regards to our reliance on fossil fuels:

China to plow $361 billion into renewable fuel by 2020
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-energy-renewables-idUSKBN14P06P

India plans nearly 60% of electricity capacity from non-fossil fuels by 2027
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/dec/21/india-renewable-energy-paris-climate-summit-target

Saudi Arabia's attempt to reduce reliance on oil
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/may/16/saudi-arabia-reduce-reliance-oil-vision-2030

and I can keep going. This transition includes transportation fuel, electricity production, and oil byproducts. This isn't a Canadian, self induced trend, this is a world wide trend.

At this point, to rely on old ideas and not clearly see where the new economy is trending towards, amounts to willful ignorance. Does that mean we get rid of oil over night? Absolutely not...but what it does mean is that we should incrementally implement plans for retraining/educating, and make sure Canada is a leader in new sustainable tech. That includes renewables, nuclear, automation etc., and being a leader in climate science and climate change mechanisms.

SRG01

Actually, that's the complete opposite of what we're telling them. We are telling them that their trades are directly transferable into a sector that has jobs for the next century or more. Solar and wind will always have a demand for electricians, power engineers, welders, construction workers, etc.

The resource economy will go bust within the next 10 to 20 years -- like the tech industry, nothing really beats a competitor that has near-zero input costs. Wind is already cheaper than coal and solar is close behind. Plastics and composites will be the only demand left for oil, if aggregate demand continues to drop year over year. People are already losing their jobs.

Moving them into sectors that are seeing growth is a good idea.

edit: To give you an idea of how fast tech moves these days: I distinctly remember learning about OLEDs in 2004, complete with their manufacturing and lifespan issues. It took the industry less than ten years to make OLEDs mass marketable. The same goes for Li-ion batteries, energy efficiency, F.A.A.N.G., and so on. Change tends to happen fairly quickly, especially if someone can make a tidy profit out of it.

Chinese corporations will make 100 billion off of India over the next 10 years to build the world's largest solar array.

Where is the incentive for our corporations to manufacture renewable energy products?

We keep electing officials who keep spouting the same shit, without ever moving to a self reliant manufacturing base for export purposes.

Our heavy reliance on natural resources is going to kill our economy in the next 50 years. Unfortunately there is no foresight to see this.

When automation becomes the norm, when we will be exporting far less natural resources in the future, where is our GDP going to come from to pay for a UBI?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Canada seems to be getting onto the REM resource train in a big way.

They just need to make sure they don't miss the nanomaterial train, too. Two big sectors coming up.

Apathy

This fucker actually used "cuck" in a response.

This dude is a bonafide Alt-Right piece of shit, and by extension, Leitch is as well.

Someone must have yelled at that dude cause he actually apologized in a newer tweet. Stick, sickening that you have some alt-right dipshit on your team

Surprisingly, Stephane Dion is going to take the EU/Germany ambassadorial job after all.

This honestly shocked me. Dion never seemed to enjoy the schmoozing aspect of politics, and now he's going to a job that's nothing but schmoozing. I'm sure he'll do great diplomatic work, but I feel for him for all the receptions he's going to be attending.

It doesn't count as a donation, I assume.
(For tax purposes)

This is correct. The parties convinced Elections Canada that, with processing costs, memberships are basically revenue neutral, so they're exempted from the annual cap.

In CPC leadership race news, the quarterly numbers for the last three months of 2016 are out!

Bernier is running away with it, at least from a financial perspective. More than twice as many donors as the number two person (Leitch), and he's a few hundred thousand dollars ahead of Leitch, too. Because of how the race is structured, I don't think he can be classified as the frontrunner, but he's in a pretty good spot.

O'Toole has also very quietly put himself in a good position too. No one knows who he is, and he's gotten no media attention, but in a race like this, fourth place isn't a bad place to be.

bremon

Bernier is running away with it, at least from a financial perspective. More than twice as many donors as the number two person (Leitch), and he's a few hundred thousand dollars ahead of Leitch, too.
Leitch is number 2 for fundraising?! Jesus Christ. Disgusting.

Jesus, Leitch's campaign manager actually used the word "cuck" on social media?!
That stuck out to me as well. Very offputting. At least they aren't trying to hide their true colours.

Sean C

Be very interested to see the numbers for Q1 of 2017, to see if O'Leary's notional support in polls is actually converting into tangible support from donors.

diaspora

yo damn, double the number of donors will all of them donating smaller amounts. Leitch can take that "elites" nonsense and shove it up her ass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom