• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apathy

When BLM-TO makes stupid comments like that, you take away the importance of being able to label a real person as a white supremacist. Save that shit for someone that is actually one. And people wonder why BLM-TO is looked on as a joke in this city.

I should read it in context because hopefully it contextualizes what is on the surface a dumbass statement.

If it is still dumb - I've been wrong before - then way to delegitimize yourself. They should own it on an individual level.

I should read it in context because hopefully it contextualizes what is on the surface a dumbass statement.

If it is still dumb - I've been wrong before - then way to delegitimize yourself. They should own it on an individual level.

Really? What kind of context would make it sound not-insane?

jstripes

Banned

It honestly comes across as a badly thought out "PAY ATTENTION TO MEEEEE!" statement.

Black relations aren't in as dire straights here as they are in the US, so the issue gets ignored a lot.

SRG01

mad.png

This image encapsulates everything that is wrong with 21st century partisan politics. People are more attached to their ideologies than actual solutions.

Trust me, it doesn't.

I honestly haven't been able to look but maybe she said something beforehand like "if I wanted to sound like a jackass, here is what I would say: [og quote]".

It honestly comes across as a badly thought out "PAY ATTENTION TO MEEEEE!" statement.

Black relations aren't in as dire straights here as they are in the US, so the issue gets ignored a lot.

This is what I think is most likely and why I'm leaning towards jackassery.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

BLM Toronto seems to have a lot of mixed priorities, but they do get attention. Like I get the point that Black history in Canada is invisible - certainly it was completely ignored during my public education in Ontario, and it took me basically becoming a grad student and stumbling on people like Lawrence Hill to understand that Canada wasn't a utopia for freed American slaves that we like to think it is. The fact that Nova Scotia took decades to apologize for Africville only shows that historical progress is slow.

I treat this like the BLM movement protesting Sanders speeches, or doing simple things like occupying restaurants in NYC. Making people uncomfortable is the only way to be heard, because we're at a point where even shouting gets ignored.

Onemic

Oof, BLM is quite a mixed bag (as should be expected of any non-centralized group) but I can't name anything good the Canadian chapter has done, from banning police at pride to this nonsense.

tbf, the members of pride voted for it in pretty large numbers. It's not like BLM forced them to ban it.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
tbf, the members of pride voted for it in pretty large numbers. It's not like BLM forced them to ban it.
Nobody that would oppose that vote was there because it wasn't supposed to even be on the docket. That's on Pride's leadership for allowing to be bullied like that though.

maharg

idspispopd
Police in uniform, and especially carrying weapons or driving in armored vehicles is absolutely something that should be questioned and probably not allowed at pride. I absolutely think raising that issue was a good and important thing to do and I hope my own city follows suit. They drove an APC in our parade a few years back and it was gross.

gabbo

The only way to do it would be to put it into some historical context with Trudeau as the current leader of a country founded on repressing and systemically removing indigenous people. But that's stretching things to an extreme degree where the term she used is basically inaccurate (beyond it being used at all)

Eg trudeau is the latest in a long line of white leaders who repressed indigenous peoples

So I watched it.

Who needs Reed Richards with these fucking reaches re: Trudeau as a white supremacist. Shit, the womp womp trombone should've played.

There's something to be said for "look at me," but they're not supposed to completely undercut your message. That doesn't do away with the very real discrimination at play in Canada -- we are not immune -- but I feel that BLM TO sometimes loses the message in their work. They get lost sometimes especially compared to a few of their US counterparts. Hopefully they find their way because they've taken up the name of a vital cause.

Try again Yus.

CazTGG

Why is the media trying to make O'Leary a thing. The less attention the guy gets the better.

"Trump will never get past the primaries, now back to covering Ben J. Ghazi... because both sides."

Obviously it's difficult to gauge how much support O'Leary has compared to Chong, Raitt and Leitch but let's not pretend like O'Leary shouldn't be seeing the scrutiny that Drumpf should have received from the very beginning. In some respects, he has with pieces about his lies and bad business dealings, not to mention a former Dragon's Den host, Arlene Dickinson, calling him out,not to mention coverage of O'Leary giving a rather demeaning and sexist response about her being "emotional" or the infamous gun video being posted on the same day as the funeral of one of Quebec's worse mass shootings in history. Them giving his asinine antics the attention they deserve is their job.

Zips

BLM Toronto has yet to impress me and appear as more than a group of raving wackos.

The cause of BLM overall is a good one, but this chapter has some real nutters in it that are destroying their image. Trudeau as a white supremacist being the latest blow.

Can anyone point to positive things that BLM Toronto has done? Stuff like this just makes them look insane and counterproductive.

Dr.Acula

Banned
WTF. He's trying to pass this off as a campaign video? No one at his camp told him this was just terrible? You can't just say Trudeau "is secretly rooting for fellow celebrity" with no actual facts to prove that.

Good Canadian boys don't throw games to get a match-up in the playoffs!

CazTGG

WTF. He's trying to pass this off as a campaign video? No one at his camp told him this was just terrible? You can't just say Trudeau "is secretly rooting for fellow celebrity" with no actual facts to prove that.

It's not terrible, it's alt-fantastic.

There's a petition going around for the electoral reform, with over 63 000 signatures so far apparently

https://petitions.parl.gc.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-616

Speaking of Electoral Reform, I got another personalized email back from my Liberal MP. I'm now 3/4 on personalized replies. I'm also going to take advantage of one of the town-halls she is putting on at the schools campus to talk to her in person about it.

This is terrible. He's now playing it off as a joke but Erin O'Toole should be ashamed.

https://twitter.com/ErinOTooleMP/status/828405944367403008

You know, for a good solid couple of weeks I thought that O'Toole was just slang to make fun of O'Leary.

Vibranium

Banned
There's a petition going around for the electoral reform, with over 63 000 signatures so far apparently

https://petitions.parl.gc.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-616

Trudeau will (maybe?) ignore it but I'll sign it anyways.

Man, I support BLM and agree that we need to teach more about the treatment Canada's black community in school (good, bad and ugly) but statements like these hurt the cause. Stephen Bannon is the one she should be calling a white supremecist.

CazTGG

If anyone is interested, O'Leary did an ama on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/canada/comments/5smi2e/im_kevin_oleary_and_im_running_for_leadership_of/ and with some pretty shitty answer, most of which were "economy" and "I will beat Trudeau", not really answering the harder questions.

On, nice little tidbit, as soon as he started to run, he expects people to not take what he said beforehand as himself but as his dragon persona. Fuck this piece of shit

Honestly, I thought that was to be expected. Among conservative-leaning folks I know, most seem to see him as "that tough, super successful guy from Dragon's Den" instead of "the Canadian Donald Trump" in spite of the media coverage of his antics like the aforementioned gun video.

Since it's quite possible, even probable, he'll be Tory leader because of morons, never let him live down the fact he believes this:

Kevin O'Leary says 3.5 billion people living in poverty is 'fantastic news'

lol I love her reaction

silence for a bit and then "really?"

sometimes some people need to stop... reflect on what they just said and wonder what purpose does making shit up serve

emotion sometimes claims are reason and because of it we eventually become more focused on the anger and criticism and less about the deductions and solutions

Apathy

WTF, I am watching the daily press briefing and a Canadian journalist just asked a question, and there is a rumor that Sarah Palin might be picked for ambassador to Canada. Fuck that

CazTGG

WTF, I am watching the daily press briefing and a Canadian journalist just asked a question, and there is a rumor that Sarah Palin might be picked for ambassador to Canada. Fuck that

That's been a rumor for some time now, i'm surprised you haven't heard it sooner.

Apathy

That's been a rumor for some time now, i'm surprised you haven't heard it sooner.

I lived a much happier life before finding this out, even if it is a rumor. I never want that woman in this country in any form

Slow but steady. I'll take it. That's what you get when vast amounts of your real estate are wolf and polar bear hunting grounds.

We're probably counting them towards the population count. Respect Wolf-Canadians and Polar-Canadians please.

Shoeless

I lived a much happier life before finding this out, even if it is a rumor. I never want that woman in this country in any form

We're probably counting them towards the population count. Respect Wolf-Canadians and Polar-Canadians please.

Well heck, if we're going that far, let's not forget them wolverines. They're the only ones that got a super-hero named after them.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Slow but steady. I'll take it. That's what you get when vast amounts of your real estate are wolf and polar bear hunting grounds.

Canada's population growth is not slow, it's the highest in the G7. 5 percent in 5 years is a tonne for a first-world country, even if it's less growth than 2011.

Mr.Mike

Canada's population growth is not slow, it's the highest in the G7. 5 percent in 5 years is a tonne for a first-world country, even if it's less growth than 2011.

Well, Australia did grow faster.

I favour more open borders, but I don't have any particular preference for a larger or smaller population. Although we should probably try to not let our median age get too high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom