• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ondore

I have to fly to the States for a few days next month, and I'm dreading the possibility of having to give up anything before they let me in the country. And I'm just a white guy going to a convention.

UberTag

Trudeau better brace his arm or beat Donald at his own arm pull during the handshake game on Monday
What if Trudeau psyches Donald out with a fake arm? Donny pulls the entire appendage loose, freaks out and then Justin shows him that it's just a prop arm and that Trump is simply a victim of a Just for Laughs segment.

I have to fly to the States for a few days next month, and I'm dreading the possibility of having to give up anything before they let me in the country. And I'm just a white guy going to a convention.
If it's an anime convention, just mention 4chan and compliment Spicer's Katsucon cosplay and you should be in the clear.

I don't think we need to expend too much time convincing each other that O'Leary is a bad idea - most of us know that Trudeau at least stands for many progressive ideas that O'Leary can never bring as the head of a conservative party.

What we ought to be doing is keeping other moderately conservative (either fiscally or socially) voters around us to stay informed and hopefully, without any ridiculous propaganda clouding their views, they eventually come to the conclusion that O'Leary is a bad idea from a leadership standpoint.

So Trudeau got asked about Electoral Reform at a townhall in Yellowknife today with a lengthy response which basically boils down to: Referendums are divisive, PR is bad, AV is good, but I won't touch it with a 50 foot pole, Big tent parties are good, small parties are extreme, a bunch of talk about how Canada is great because of our differing views, he made the decision to drop it, he knows he will lose a bunch of voters over this but he won't compromise on his views.

Trudeau explains his electoral reform U-turn

This almost looked staged (why would Radio-Canada be exactly there at the right moment ?), but here is a short video of Muslims (apparently Syrian refugees) crossing the USA/Canada border. With a baby. When it's freezing cold.

https://twitter.com/pascalrobidas/status/830408848661999616

Because refugees have been coming across that specific spot in the border and it's been a big story all week? You don't need to invent a conspiracy to explain why they were there.

Kifimbo

Because refugees have been coming across that specific spot in the border and it's been a big story all week? You don't need to invent a conspiracy to explain why they were there.

Sorry, I heard about this happening near Emerson, Manitoba, but I didn't hear anything about this in Quebec (and I live in the province) until this morning.

Sorry, I heard about this happening near Emerson, Manitoba, but I didn't hear anything about this in Quebec (and I live in the province) until this morning.

Well you know what? I assumed it was Emerson so that's my bad. Still, the RCMP was already there so they probably just caught wind of what was happening in the same way journalists usually do.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Pretty good turnout at the fairvote protest in Toronto right now
3K0PP4t.jpg

Turns out Quebec is one of the biggest refugee entrance spots -- and the trend is accelerating over the last few months.

I'm still doubtful that we'll suspend the Safe 3rd Country Agreement, since we it lessens CIC's workload...but I have to say that I'm much less confident in that prediction now than I was even a week or two ago.

Mailbox

Trudeau better brace his arm or beat Donald at his own arm pull during the handshake game on Monday

I can only hope.
Though far more likely he'll try his "fall down the stairs" party trick just to freak Donald more regarding stairs XD

So Trudeau got asked about Electoral Reform at a townhall in Yellowknife today with a lengthy response which basically boils down to: Referendums are divisive, PR is bad, AV is good, but I won't touch it with a 50 foot pole, Big tent parties are good, small parties are extreme, a bunch of talk about how Canada is great because of our differing views, he made the decision to drop it, he knows he will lose a bunch of voters over this but he won't compromise on his views.

Trudeau explains his electoral reform U-turn

As many in other places have pointed out his point holds no logical water. It is far better to have smaller parties that are forced to work together (thus ignoring extremists, which will have small numbers anyway) than it is to have a giant party hijacked and destroy the country based on ~39% of the voting public. If you wanna eliminate extremism from parliament make a PR system (preferably STV IMO, but I digress) where a minimum of 5 percent is required to gain standing in parliament. There are ways to build a systems that doesn't house large numbers of extreme views, but it's a lot easier and much more terrifying for a party as large as the CPC to be hijacked, just look at the GOP.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
He won't compromise on his views by compromising on his views. lol

I wonder if MJ legalization is going to just disappear somehow silently while we all continue to stare at the American trainwreck.

bremon

Went to a meeting with my MP. It was enjoyable, but there was a significant amount of spin. Still appreciate his time and the opportunity to speak to the guy who represents me in parliament for a couple of hours.

So this is fun Pre-clearance bill would give U.S. border agents in Canada new powers -- Bill to expand border co-operation could also see permanent residents denied re-entry to Canada

U.S. border guards would get new powers to question, search and even detain Canadian citizens on Canadian soil under a bill proposed by the Liberal government

Legal experts say Bill C-23, introduced by Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale, and likely to pass in the current sitting of Parliament, could also erode the standing of Canadian permanent residents by threatening their automatic right to enter Canada.

The bill would enshrine in law a reciprocal agreement for customs and immigration pre-clearance signed by the governments of Stephen Harper and Barack Obama in 2015. Both houses of Congress passed the U.S. version of the bill in December.

Michael Greene, an immigration lawyer in Calgary, says C-23 takes away an important right found in the existing law.

"A Canadian going to the U.S. through a pre-clearance area [on Canadian soil] can say: 'I don't like the way [an interview is] going and I've chosen not to visit your country.' And they can just turn around and walk out.

"Under the new proposed bill, they wouldn't be able to walk out. They can be held and forced to answer questions, first to identify themselves, which is not so offensive, but secondly, to explain the reasons for leaving, and to explain their reasons for wanting to withdraw," said Greene, who is national chair of the Canadian Bar Association's citizenship and immigration section.

CazTGG

Isn't this bill in direct violation of the Charter re: Section 6 (2b)?

(Subsection 2) Every citizen of Canada and every person who has the status of a permanent resident of Canada has the right
a) to move to and take up residence in any province; and
b) to pursue the gaining of a livelihood in any province.

I don't think so. This subsection seems to be dealing with Canadians moving across provinces, not from the US to Canada.

Exactly. Right now, something like 8 airports (plus a few other ports of entry) have preclearance already, and it's just for travel to the US -- when you fly to the US from, say, Toronto or Ottawa, you go through security here so you don't have to go through customs on the other end.

There's definitely a bit of fearmongering going on in that CBC story, but I can see why it would raise eyebrows now. Considering the bill was already dragging through Parliament, you have to imagine it's going to move even more slowly now. And I could easily see the Senate showing off their newfound independence and, if not killing the bill outright, making use of procedure to delay the bill for a very long time before sending it back to the House with major changes.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...ng-liberal-nomination-in-st-laurent-1.3979245
Yolande James confirms the rumours, she will be running for the Liberal nomination in Saint-Laurent (I hope she wins)

sadly, washed burough mayor (lol, yes, we have something called burrough mayors in Montreal) Alan DeSousa will throw his hat in to the ring (I hope he loses)

Marwah Rizqy also is in the running, she nearly won Hochelaga but lost by handfull to the NDP. No Liberal has held Hochelaga in decades so credit to her for giving them a nail biter.

Yolande James would be the best fit, young mother, experienced legistlator both as former Quebec immigration minister and family minister. She is perfectly bilingual and a good speaker

We finally have a decent poll on the CPC leadership! 5400+ CPC members, so not just people who say they vaguely support the party -- these are actual voters. It's...odd.

(The actual percentages are also in the linked story, but points is what matters in this contest).

O'Leary & Bernier on top sounds about right. Leitch in third place doesn't shock me too much, given her fundraising totals.

What's shocking, though, is fourth: Chris Alexander?! He doesn't even have a campaign manager. His fundraising totals are nothing special. How is he in fourth? If that continues on to May (which is still a long way away), he could be someone to watch as a darkhorse. I'd have thought it would be Raitt, O'Toole or Scheer in that spot, but...nope, it's Chris Alexander. Weird.

And poor Deepak. Dead last, even behind the nobodies. I'm seriously considering joining the CPC just to give him a pity vote.

And fear not NDPers -- you finally have a candidate! This ball of excitement:

Announced yesterday that he's running. And Guy Caron stepped down as finance critic yesterday as well, so there are now a grand total of three people who are either running (Peter Julian) or officially thinking about running (Caron and Charlie Angus).

UberTag

We finally have a decent poll on the CPC leadership! 5400+ CPC members, so not just people who say they vaguely support the party -- these are actual voters. It's...odd.

(The actual percentages are also in the linked story, but points is what matters in this contest).

O'Leary & Bernier on top sounds about right. Leitch in third place doesn't shock me too much, given her fundraising totals.

What's shocking, though, is fourth: Chris Alexander?! He doesn't even have a campaign manager. His fundraising totals are nothing special. How is he in fourth? If that continues on to May (which is still a long way away), he could be someone to watch as a darkhorse. I'd have thought it would be Raitt, O'Toole or Scheer in that spot, but...nope, it's Chris Alexander. Weird.

And poor Deepak. Dead last, even behind the nobodies. I'm seriously considering joining the CPC just to give him a pity vote.
Those are highly disturbing numbers. Numbers that will likely lead me to throwing my entire ballot weight towards Bernier, expecting O'Leary to win and forcing me to vote Trudeau in the next federal election.

That's very depressing.

I had a debate with a Lefty that turned sour on Thursday when he started using the word "moderates" as a prejoriative.

I tried to explain to him that there is a big difference between principled centrist from a casual swing voter,
I told him that casual voters who least informed and vote on personality over ideology.

he didn't understand, he lumped everyone in the the evil "moderate" catagory as to blame for everything

eessh

Apathy

Justin Trudeau arrived in DC without Sophie.

He also plans to meet separately with Mich McConnell and Paul Ryan.

Him arriving without Sophie was predictable. Would you want your wife around a guy that likes to force himself on women and thinks a proper introduction is grabbing them by the pussy?

Him arriving without Sophie was predictable. Would you want your wife around a guy that likes to force himself on women and thinks a proper introduction is grabbing them by the pussy?

that and he is not there to make friends,

Brian Mulroney is neighbours with Trump in Florida and he has been smooth talking Donald into keeping Free Trade with Canada healthy.

Apathy

Lol so true

And fear not NDPers -- you finally have a candidate! This ball of excitement:

Announced yesterday that he's running. And Guy Caron stepped down as finance critic yesterday as well, so there are now a grand total of three people who are either running (Peter Julian) or officially thinking about running (Caron and Charlie Angus).

Those numbers are alarming to say the least. Apparently conservative voters are fine with a guy who couldn't bring himself to piss on a poor person if they were on fire or a woman who's a giant racist. Lovely. The party's top brass has to realize how unelectable some of these running for leadership are right?

that was a friendly handshake, Trudeau also brought his cabinet with him

663fc4ba-a841-4214-801b-4b69c76c8e3f.jpg

----

the NDP race being a three man race could be a good thing for them to avoid a multi person cluster fuck

the Conservative race is a cluster fuck with too many dead weights, 2nd round is going to be deadly. Bernier's ridings weighting may see him into Round 2

Kinsei

Banned
Those are highly disturbing numbers. Numbers that will likely lead me to throwing my entire ballot weight towards Bernier, expecting O'Leary to win and forcing me to vote Trudeau in the next federal election.

That's very depressing.

It is depressing.

That's very depressing.

It's capped at 10 votes, so you don't necessarily have to be 1 and done with Bernier. Taking out the craziest of the crazies (but leaving behind hardcore libertarian Maxime), your ballot could be:

1. Chris Alexander
2. Lisa Raitt
3. Michael Chong
4. Erin O'Toole
5. Deepak Obhrai
6. Maxime Bernier
7. Rick Peterson

You could also throw Scheer on as #8, though he's a pretty staunch social conservative -- he's just not as loud about it as Brad Trost. He's considered the safe "establishment" candidate, to the extent a race like this has one of those.

the NDP race being a three man race could be a good thing for them to avoid a multi person cluster fuck

the Conservative race is a cluster fuck with too many dead weights, 2nd round is going to be deadly. Bernier's ridings weighting may see him into Round 2

The NDP race will probably end up being five people -- Julian, Caron, and Angus, plus Niki Ashton and Jagmeet Singh. It's 1 member, 1 vote, with no weighting, so I could actually see Singh coming out of nowhere to win. He's from Brampton, so he has easier access to the GTA than anyone else. I don't know how big a presence the Sikh community has inside the NDP, but if it's anything like the Liberals (and, to a lesser extent, the Conservatives), that could go a long way towards him winning, too.

And RE: the CPC race, they just keep going until someone reaches 50%+1, with the lowest-ranked candidate dropping off for each successive round. Since voting is already done when they reveal the results, there's not going to be the kind of jockeying for position and weighing of options you get with a traditional convention. Rather, if we're using those numbers, it'd be Obhrai dropping after the first ballot, and those 0.5% of votes being distributed to those voters' #2 choices. After the second, Peterson drops off, and his 0.5% gets redistributed.

In other words, with 14 candidates, it might take a long time before they have a winner.

Mr.Mike

Bernier, O'Leary and Leitch, while popular with the first vote, seem to be polarizing candidates. I feel like if one of them is not your first choice than they're probably pretty far down your list. Also O'Leary isn't really a nativist, so I don't really see Leitch's first voters going to him when she is knocked out.

Scheer is socially conservative, but he has said he's not campaigning on social issues. I'd expect he'd keep the social conservatism on the down low like Harper did.

SRG01

Bahaha, if Justin dominates Trump in this meeting, he'll have my unconditional vote next election... And the last time I voted for the liberals was in 2008!

Prax

Maybe Trump will be dazzled by Justin's celeb status and capitulate to him a little.

Trump can think they are a team together as the two pretty boys of North America. lol

Apathy

idvxkvzpknfy.gif

It does kinda look like Trump tried to jerk the handshake back, but Trudeau held his ground.

That's my prime minister. Apparently Justin have trump an old picture of PET with trump from back in the day. Seemed trump liked it, reminding him of his old days.

My favourite shot so far:

"See? My hands aren't small at all. Look at how yuge they are!"

Or: "Urrrrrgh, I guess I need to shake his hand."

Bernier, O'Leary and Leitch, while popular with the first vote, seem to be polarizing candidates. I feel like if one of them is not your first choice than they're probably pretty far down your list. Also O'Leary isn't really a nativist, so I don't really see Leitch's first voters going to him when she is knocked out.

Scheer is socially conservative, but he has said he's not campaigning on social issues. I'd expect he'd keep the social conservatism on the down low like Harper did.

I agree with your analysis of O'Leary & Leitch for sure. A CPC friend of mine is convinced that O'Leary will win over people based on name recognition, but I agree with you: I have a hard time imagining someone thinking that O'Leary is simply okay. He seems like a pretty polarizing candidate, in a way that Alexander/Raitt/O'Toole just aren't.

And Scheer is basically the knock-off version of Harper. He's a version of Harper for people who thought Harper was too darn charismatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom