• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
For anyone in Toronto.

ZMh3chL.jpg

Well, Australia did grow faster.

I favour more open borders, but I don't have any particular preference for a larger or smaller population. Although we should probably try to not let our median age get too high.

I'm personally in favour of a larger population because it brings with it greater tax revenue and economical efficiencies in addition to greater negotiation power with external powers. Not to mention as long as the young outnumber the old, we can withstand the wave of aging population.

There's a petition going around for the electoral reform, with over 63 000 signatures so far apparently

https://petitions.parl.gc.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-616
The petition just hit 83,949 Signatures and became the most signed one of all time on the E-Petitions site, I've been following the numbers over the past couple days and the big changer has been mostly attributed to Quebec jumping from a little under 4000 to over 15,000

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Well, Australia did grow faster.

I favour more open borders, but I don't have any particular preference for a larger or smaller population. Although we should probably try to not let our median age get too high.

Australia is not in the G7/G8 though, which is what I'm referring to. They also have roughly than 2/3rds of Canada's population, so similar number of people leads to a higher growth rate for them than it would for Canada.

I don't really have an opinion at the moment, unless I saw some hard evidence that it was causing economic difficulties or something. Can't accept everyone, though.

I'm personally in favour of a larger population because it brings with it greater tax revenue and economical efficiencies in addition to greater negotiation power with external powers. Not to mention as long as the young outnumber the old, we can withstand the wave of aging population.

Well, one issue is that the population growth does not extend to rural areas. Canada is now 83% urban, which is incredibly high.

Australia is not in the G7/G8 though, which is what I'm referring to. They also have roughly than 2/3rds of Canada's population, so similar numbers of people leads to a higher growth rate for them than it would for Canada.

I don't really have an opinion at the moment, unless I saw some hard evidence that it was causing economic difficulties or something. Can't accept everyone, though.

Well, one issue is that the population growth does not extend to rural areas. Canada is now 83% urban, which is incredibly high.

Yes, but all that does it make Urban areas even more efficient and allow them to generate even more revenue which will go towards subsidizing rural area operations. Plus it's not like Rural areas would get none of that increase, some people like living in rural areas after all.

Pancake Mix

Yes, but all that does it make Urban areas even more efficient and allow them to generate even more revenue which will go towards subsidizing rural area operations. Plus it's not like Rural areas would get none of that increase, some people like living in rural areas after all.

Actually, if it's all due to immigration, which this growth is, then rural areas aren't really getting much of an increase anymore.

This hasn't been updated yet, but here:

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/demo62a-eng.htm

The vast majority of immigrants head to urban centres.

Fuzzy

I feel sorry for Atlantic Canada though,

something must be done to get something happening over there but I have no clue what.

Maybe all Atlantic Provinces should become ONE mega Province and concentrate on certain sectors of the economy, I don't see the point of micro Provinces trying to re-invent the wheel

Alberta growing? But the loud people told me Alberta was dead and Saskatchewan was where it's at!
This is growth from 2011 to 2016. The slowdow/bust only started in 2014; you could have growth going flat from 2014 to 2016 and you'd still have boontime growth from 2011 to 2014 more than making up for it.

something must be done to get something happening over there but I have no clue what.

Maybe all Atlantic Provinces should become ONE mega Province and concentrate on certain sectors of the economy, I don't see the point of micro Provinces trying to re-invent the wheel

They need to focus on cities. Rural areas are doomed across the country. It's starting to happen, slowly.

The demographic changes and depopulation are overwealmingly affecting rural and small town areas. All 3 provinces have been stubbornedly non-urbanized, and that's meant a lot of economic development attempts (and corporate welfare) are wasted in doomed towns due to politics / it being where votes are (70% of the population of NS is outside Halifax).

Orca

This is growth from 2011 to 2016. The slowdow/bust only started in 2014; you could have growth going flat from 2014 to 2016 and you'd still have boontime growth from 2011 to 2014 more than making up for it.

Only if it was at some ridiculous percentage growth prior to 2014, since it's still high.

I wish they'd consolidate their efforts into pushing tech-based business. Maybe they can make a push for the 'naturally/environmentally cooled' server farms that have popped up in various places, but the location doesn't seem ideal.

jstripes

Banned
http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/p...-un-discours-devant-le-parlement-europeen.php
Trudeau to address EU parliament, officially as leader of the free world
(Trump eats Putin)
I guess the EU is going to start taking us more seriously now that the US is a basket case.

They've thrown around the idea of merging the maritime provinces, New Brunswick's population is only just barely higher than Mississauga, but too much pride would be bruised by doing that.

They've been on a downward trend since the '70s. Unless they do something like put in killer internet infrastructure and court high tech services, I don't know how they can fix it.

bremon

It really does seem odd to me. All the guys I've worked with from the East coast love it and intend to move back. I didn't realize just how rural it is there. Manitoba and Sask both feel very rural to me but the percentages still skew urban there I believe.

I think they are on the right track by unioning their Government Services together under a single administration, going further in that direction would be a good way for them to proceed if they didn't want to merge.

Apathy

Only if it was at some ridiculous percentage growth prior to 2014, since it's still high.

I wish they'd consolidate their efforts into pushing tech-based business. Maybe they can make a push for the 'naturally/environmentally cooled' server farms that have popped up in various places, but the location doesn't seem ideal.

You could give companies all the tax breaks you want, but if people don't want to move there because of what they see as "boring" urban areas for the young people that tech companies need, then it won't matter.

SRG01

I think they are on the right track by unioning their Government Services together under a single administration, going further in that direction would be a good way for them to proceed if they didn't want to merge.

Radical idea: cities should operate as city-states much like Cologne, while rural areas are managed as territories.

Pancake Mix

Which makes the racists move to the rural areas. Maybe that's just true of the racists I work with.

Come on, I doubt that really happens much, people go where the jobs are. It's true that rural Canada is a lot more homogeneous, but a lot of that homogeneity is Native instead of British, French, Scandinavian on the Prairie, etc.

That'd be a no-go. None of those provinces want to lose their substantial authority in a federal country.

Fuzzy

Come on, I doubt that really happens much, people go where the jobs are. It's true that rural Canada is a lot more homogeneous, but a lot of that homogeneity is Native instead of British, French, Scandinavian on the Prairie, etc.
I work construction and you wouldn't believe the number of coworkers that commute over 2 hours a day to Toronto because they don't want to live near "foreigners". I still remember 10 years ago one guy who lived in Innisfil (100km north of Toronto) coming to work one day and complaining about the new owners of the convenience store near his house being SE Asian and how he had to move further north again. He did.

Pancake Mix

I work construction and you wouldn't believe the number of coworkers that commute over 2 hours a day to Toronto because they don't want to live near "foreigners". I still remember 10 years ago one guy who lived in Innisfil (100km north of Toronto) coming to work one day and complaining about the new owners of the convenience store near his house being SE Asian and how he had to move further north again. He did.

Can't really rely on anecdotes. I don't deny that it can occur, but I doubt it's a trend.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/...fter-questions-about-religion-trump-1.3972019

Awful. That poor woman.

Are customs officers even allowed to ask for your phone passwords?? I guess if you refuse they'll just instantly turn you away? Ugh.

It's an ongoing question -- and that's just in Canada. When you're crossing into another country, it adds on a whole new range of questions, and border guards on both sides can keep people out for a range of reasons. At least the US has an established complaint and appeal process in place for situations like this. We're still figuring that stuff out.

On a related note, has anyone noticed Trump's Executive Order on privacy and data protection? It's... problematic, to say the least.

Since it's quite possible, even probable, he'll be Tory leader because of morons, never let him live down the fact he believes this:

Kevin O'Leary says 3.5 billion people living in poverty is 'fantastic news'

I possible that O'Leary wins, but saying it's probable is vastly overstating his chances. He has little organization, next to no caucus support, and he's extremely polarizing, even to CPC members. He's also starting off his campaign by writing off between one-third and one-quarter of the ridings (at least), which means that he'd need to win by huge numbers in the rest of the country -- which hardly seems likely, taking into account other factors. It's not impossible, to be sure, but there are all kinds of factors working against him.

WTF, I am watching the daily press briefing and a Canadian journalist just asked a question, and there is a rumor that Sarah Palin might be picked for ambassador to Canada. Fuck that

Her name keeps popping up, and has for a few months now. I've also heard Paul LePage and Kelly Ayotte as possible candidates. Right now, I think LePage is the most likely, but it's impossible to predict anything when it comes to this administration.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Urrrgh. I'm crossing the border this week-end, I hope I don't get my laptop and phone seized. I'm white as a sheet so I should be OK :p but I'll be travelling with a bunch of Asians (mostly girls). They aren't the "suspicious" group so we'll probably be OK but who the fuck knows anymore.

I'm planning to go the Cali this Spring, I'm deleting my text messages, LOL

explodet

I'm going to NYC in a month or so.
I'm tempted to find a burner phone in the US - roaming charges on my plan are BS anyway.

You know whst's shitty, I'm from a Sikh family, but my last name has been put on America's list of names from their banned countries. Man it's gonna be hell trying to go there for a wedding this summer.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
O'Leary's doing a talk in a UBC pub right now and I'm listening in on the livestream.

He's claiming he's got no plans to do the same immigration techniques as Trump is doing, although based on what I'm hearing so far and totally expected, he's got that very same "run it like business" mentality that won't do us any favours.

UPDATE: Holy shit, he has been spouting nothing but BNN talk for the past half hour.

mo60

O'Leary's doing a talk in a UBC pub right now and I'm listening in on the livestream.

He's claiming he's got no plans to do the same immigration techniques as Trump is doing, although based on what I'm hearing so far and totally expected, he's got that very same "run it like business" mentality that won't do us any favours.

UPDATE: Holy shit, he has been spouting nothing but BNN talk for the past half hour.

O'Leary is more socially liberal then a lot of the CPC leadership candidates. I never expected him to believe in a lot of the things trump believes him.

O'Leary is a guy who made it big with some investments. He is a cut throat businessman that is all.

Not a hate encouraging, con-man who lies about every single thing out of his mouth, like Trump. I don't get the comparisons.

MMarston

O'Leary is a guy who made it big with some investments. He is a cut throat businessman that is all.

Not a hate encouraging, con-man who lies about every single thing out of his mouth, like Trump. I don't get the comparisons.

Yeah, last night he definitely seemed earnest when he was saying that anyone and everyone was welcome to Canada, so that was relieving at least. In fact, he said even intended to legalize marijuana (albeit for money purposes) and that he didn't really care what anyone was LGBT-wise (whether he meant that in an inclusive way or apathetic way, who knows)

That said, he spouted a lot of deflecting drivel last night. One example was that he was asked if he was complaining about Trudeau's deficit, what did he think about Harper's deficit, but he just went on some odd tirade about the good kinds of deficits without answering the question. And yes, for the most part, all his conceptual policies he mentioned are all hardline businessman-motivated more than anything. He plans to match whatever economic policy the US has in 2019 if he gets elected, but that would be totally going against whatever "progressive" maneuvers he promised to do early on regarding the environment if the current US administration is still on the downward spiral at point -- though I guess this would all be contingent on whether that works out for them or not.

Finally, he did a lot of grasping of straws last night in terms of stats and whatnot -- didn't really cite anything apart from his own gut from what I remember. Also I tuned out at some point, but apparently he got into a very heated argument with a student attending the Q&A near the end.

Here's an archive of the stream by the way

CazTGG

Not a hate encouraging, con-man who lies about every single thing out of his mouth, like Drumpf. I don't get the comparisons.

Ask Mattel what they think of Mr. "Can't tell the difference between debt and a deficit". O'Leary may not be as regressive an individual as Trump in terms of his stances on immigration, LGBT rights, etc. but he's deeply entrenched in the "fuck you, got mine" mindset common in conservatives and has a terrible temperament to boot, not to mention sharing Trump's lack of compassion and respect. He's running for the same reason as Trump: He's doing it for himself because he sees an opportunity to enrich himself. People assume he's successful because, like Trump, he was on a television series where the hosts present themselves as successful rather than, in O'Leary's case, a man whose ventures range from one failure to the next. One could even argue that his "only I can chop through the Trudeau armor" is similar to Trump's constant bashing of Obama and how he thinks he can run the country so much better than him. People call O'Leary and Kellie Leitch the Trumps of Canada for a reason: They encompass several of his most undesirable qualities. The way I see it, Leitch is the id while O'Leary is the ego.

I wouldn't be so sure of that.

http://content.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1921635,00.html

It's not the first bit of unpleasantness for O'Leary. For most of the 1990s, he was the president of educational-software company Softkey, which he co-founded with fellow Canadian entrepreneur Michael Perik. O'Leary and Perik sold the firm, which they renamed the Learning Company, to Mattel in 1999 for $3.6 billion. But almost immediately the deal turned sour. The Learning Company lost $200 million in the second half of 1999 alone. O'Leary and Perik, who joined Mattel after the merger, left the toy company six months later in a management shake-up. In 2001, Mattel disposed of the Learning Company by giving away most of the division to a private-equity firm for free.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/blo...-conservative-leadership-bid-business-record/

As his television presence grew, O'Leary set up a money management firm with former Wall Street banker Connor O'Brien in 2008. O'Leary's role was primarily about marketing (he didn't have a licence to manage money), and his name recognition helped bring in clients. The vision was his, however, and he wanted to offer products to retirees and Baby Boomers in search of yield after the federal government's crackdown on income trusts. Further, his co-hosting duties on The Lang and O'Leary Exchange gave him access to CEOs, politicians and fund managers, helping to generate broad investment ideas, he told Canadian Business.

The notion that some of the world's top financial minds are spilling secrets to O'Leary in the dressing room is one that has garnered skepticism, notably from Mark McQueen, who operates venture debt company Wellington Financial in Toronto. He is a prolific blogger, and O'Leary is one of his favourite targets. ”Kevin O'Leary is a fantastic television personality," he says. ”I'm not sure what that has to do with picking stocks." McQueen created a mock portfolio on his blog of 15 dividend-paying stocks to compete with the first fund, [O'Leary Global Equity Income Fund], when it launched. As of early April, McQueen's basket of stocks was up 16.7%. OGE units were down 11.4%.
In 2012, Report on Business raised further questions about the performance of O'Leary's funds, particularly his vow to never touch the investor's principal. According to Dan Hallett, vice-president of HighView Financial Group:

f one examines O'Leary's Global Equity Income Fund (OGE) and its successor mutual fund from 2008 to the present, original investors will have seen their investments decline in value. ”One-quarter of OGE's distributions have been return of capital," says Hallett. O'Leary Funds says the real figure is 17%. Hallett's 2009 analysis also showed that most of O'Leary's funds would have a hard time sustaining their distribution rates from returns in the portfolios alone. ”[O'Leary's] stated investment philosophy was at odds with what they are doing," says Hallett. ”My basic conclusion was there was a lot more marketing than real investment steak." When asked whether he would invest with O'Leary Funds today, Hallett said, ”There are no funds they have that really jump out at me."
O'Leary said that year the company had more than $1.5 billion under management. By 2015, the figure had dropped to $800-million. (In this, the company is not alone; many fund managers have been hurting in recent years.) Canoe Financial, a company chaired by fellow Dragons' Den alum Brett Wilson and possessing roughly $3 billion under management at the time, announced a deal to acquire the investment assets of O'Leary Funds in October 2015.

O'Leary hasn't left the investment business entirely. He and O'Brien now operate O'Shares Investments, which provides a small suite of ETFs.

Yeah, last night he definitely seemed earnest when he was saying that anyone and everyone was welcome to Canada, so that was relieving at least. In fact, he said even intended to legalize marijuana (albeit for money purposes) and that he didn't really care what anyone was LGBT-wise (whether he meant that in an inclusive way or apathetic way, who knows)

You can add his pot stance up to the very, very long list of things Kevin O'Leary knows nothing about. The Parliamentary Budget Office made it very clear that because pot is so relatively inexpensive on the street, if/when it's legalized, it'll be sold with nearly no profit margin.

You know whst's shitty, I'm from a Sikh family, but my last name has been put on America's list of names from their banned countries. Man it's gonna be hell trying to go there for a wedding this summer.

What? You're conflating two totally separate things here. There's the list of countries covered by the travel ban (which is public knowledge), and there's a no-fly list (which is not public knowledge). If you/your family is from one of those seven countries, then just hope that the courts continue to strike down the ban. If you or someone else in your family has the misfortune of sharing a name with someone on the no-fly list, then look into
DHS TRIP ASAP -- it's a way for individuals to get their names off watch lists. And again, there's no list of names from banned countries.

MMarston

Abelard

Ask Mattel what they think of Mr. "Can't tell the difference between debt and a deficit". O'Leary may not be as regressive an individual as Trump in terms of his stances on immigration, LGBT rights, etc. but he's deeply entrenched in the "fuck you, got mine" mindset common in conservatives and has a terrible temperament to boot, not to mention sharing Trump's lack of compassion and respect. He's running for the same reason as Trump: He's doing it for himself because he sees an opportunity to enrich himself. People assume he's successful because, like Trump, he was on a television series where the hosts present themselves as successful rather than, in O'Leary's case, a man whose ventures range from one failure to the next. One could even argue that his "only I can chop through the Trudeau armor" is similar to Trump's constant bashing of Obama and how he thinks he can run the country so much better than him. People call O'Leary and Kellie Leitch the Trumps of Canada for a reason: They encompass several of his most undesirable qualities. The way I see it, Leitch is the id while O'Leary is the ego.

Hmmm we don't know this for sure, remember Donald only exercised this rhetoric in such a bombastic way this election, before he was more-or-less the typical NY liberal. And our campaigns are much shorter in comparison so there is still a chance for O'Leary to drum up the hate later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom