• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.
That giant rush of air you may have just heard was everyone in the PMO simultaneously exhaling with relief.

Is that true? Did Intel say they're doing these things due to what Trump is doing?

Yep.

Weren't they one of the companies that was vaguely pro-Gamergate? I seem to recall them pulling ads from some websites because of pressure from 'gaters.

EDIT: Cancel that. Intel did initially cave to Gamergate, but then did this.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
That giant rush of air you may have just heard was everyone in the PMO simultaneously exhaling with relief.

Yep.

Weren't they one of the companies that was vaguely pro-Gamergate? I seem to recall them pulling ads from some websites because of pressure from 'gaters.

The first thing I've heard not make up.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Trudeau really hammered the "our relationship is good because of trade and jobs. Trade and jobs are good. Trade and jobs are important. Did I mention how important trade and jobs are FOR YOU? You should support trade and jobs, and trade and jobs with a nation that provides you with trade and jobs."

Trudeau really doesn't want Trump to dismantle NAFTA.

Trudeau really hammered the "our relationship is good because of trade and jobs. Trade and jobs are good. Trade and jobs are important. Did I mention how important trade and jobs are FOR YOU? You should support trade and jobs, and trade and jobs with a nation that provides you with trade and jobs."

I mean, if the Orange fuck gets rid of NAFTA Trudeau is the one who pays the price on our side of the border. Its in the best interests of both our Economies, including Trudeau's own re-election campaign to make sure this doesn't happen

A good visual representation of how Canada and the United States are different:

vp-mins.jpg

On the Canadian side, we have Sajjan, Morneau, Goodale and Garneau; the four old white men on the US side are Pence, Mattis, Kelly and Tom Shannon, the acting assistant Secretary of State. Obviously, Canada still has a long way to go in terms of diversity, but we could certainly be a lot worse.

EDIT: Not Freeland!

Apathy

On the Canadian side, we have Freeland, Sajjan, Morneau, Goodale and Garneau; the four old white men on the US side are Pence, Mattis, Kelly and Tom Shannon, the acting assistant Secretary of State. Obviously, Canada still has a long way to go in terms of diversity, but we could certainly be a lot worse.

Man, what Harjit must have gone through to get into the White House. And whatever face trump must have given him when he first saw him with his turban

Shoeless

On the Canadian side, we have Freeland, Sajjan, Morneau, Goodale and Garneau; the four old white men on the US side are Pence, Mattis, Kelly and Tom Shannon, the acting assistant Secretary of State. Obviously, Canada still has a long way to go in terms of diversity, but we could certainly be a lot worse.

Sajjan looks like he's still mulling over whether or not it was wise to give his phone passwords up to the CBP.

Okay can I ask why Ivanka is in a diplomatic meeting between two countries?

Edit: Looked it up, apparently it is some meeting with POTUS and female entrepreneurs

Kifimbo

Okay can I ask why Ivanka is in a diplomatic meeting between two countries?

She's a female businesswoman and this was the meeting main topic ? Of course, there is a conflict of interest, because she's the POTUS daughter, and there are other more prolific businesswomen that should have taken her spot. But having her there, as a potential Trudeau ally in the WH, is probably good for Canada.

Kifimbo

That's not Freeland though. That lady is from the VP staff.

Butts was also there. see the third pic here:

https://twitter.com/VP/status/831240296486862848

S-Wind

Yup. That totally happened.

Edit: LOL Justin totally went for alpha male power move with that shoulder grab, too. Good for you, Justin.

Trump should have known that the jerk handshake doesn't work on a guy who knows it's coming AND is young, fit, and boxes.

Even our Prime Minister had to dumb down his English for Trump to understand him.

I like how people are already quick to paint Trudeau as a "traitor" for beginning to do civil negotiations and discussions with the US under Trump. Did you want Trudeau to give Trump a wedgie and throw him down a flight of stairs? Oh fucking please, as if we needed any more bullshit to tank our dollar and economy. Trump is the biggest dipshit most certainly worth protesting over, but I expect our Canadian politicians to not escalate things to an even stupider degree and to handle things with grace (unlike a certain government). Trudeau better take a look at that border patrol bullshit tho.

CazTGG

I like how people are already quick to paint Trudeau as a "traitor" for beginning to do civil negotiations and discussions with the US under Drumpf. Did you want Trudeau to give Drumpf a wedgie and throw him down a flight of stairs? Oh fucking please, as if we needed any more bullshit to tank our dollar and economy. Drumpf is the biggest dipshit most certainly worth protesting over, but I expect our Canadian politicians to not escalate things to an even stupider degree and to handle things with grace (unlike a certain government). Trudeau better take a look at that border patrol bullshit tho.

Wait until O'Leary opens his hideous maw with some "I would've been tough on Trump" talk despite him cozying up to "King Trump" prior to Trudeau's meeting. The opposition is going to keep hammering away at Trudeau being "soft on Trump" despite him slipping some shade into his answers earlier today that I doubt Mr. (not!)Wonderful would have the gall to utter. I say this as someone with increasingly mixed feelings on Justin (so far): He handled that meeting expertly.

UberTag

My take on today's Trump-Trudeau encounter...

I couldn't be happier with how well Justin handled himself today. Loved how diplomatically he handled that 3rd question and he owned the handshake exchange. Could not have asked for a better showing.

gabbo

Wait until O'Leary opens his hideous maw with some "I would've been tough on Trump" talk despite him cozying up to "King Trump" prior to Trudeau's meeting. The opposition is going to keep hammering away at Trudeau being "soft on Trump" despite him slipping some shade into his answers earlier today that I doubt Mr. (not!)Wonderful would have the gall to utter. I say this as someone with increasingly mixed feelings on Justin (so far): He handled that meeting expertly.

There is going to be a contingent of people who have it in for Trudeau over this for a long time, trying to use it for political points

Apathy

"Justin being soft on Trump again, making Canada look weak. He should have gone in there, spat in Trumps face, told him to hand over his lunch money and then taken a shit right in the middle of the oval office"

mdubs

Banned
I like how people are already quick to paint Trudeau as a "traitor" for beginning to do civil negotiations and discussions with the US under Trump. Did you want Trudeau to give Trump a wedgie and throw him down a flight of stairs? Oh fucking please, as if we needed any more bullshit to tank our dollar and economy. Trump is the biggest dipshit most certainly worth protesting over, but I expect our Canadian politicians to not escalate things to an even stupider degree and to handle things with grace (unlike a certain government). Trudeau better take a look at that border patrol bullshit tho.

^this. There is nuance to these things, and the way today was conducted shows that Trudeau and his staff understand how to represent us effectively way beyond all what all the complaining laypeople on both sides are clamouring for.

Kifimbo

During the CPC debate, O'Leary strongly came out as pro-LBGTQ, pro-women's right, pro-legal weed, and pro-choice. MTL crowd cheered.

Apathy

During the CPC debate, O'Leary strongly came out as pro-LBGTQ, pro-women's right, pro-legal weed, and pro-choice. MTL crowd cheered.

That's been know, hes somewhat progressive compared to other cons, but everything kinda falls apart where he doesn't care for social services, wants to destroy healthcare and couldn't give two shits about the poor. Like sorry, the government should help those in society that are the most vulnerable

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
That's been know, hes somewhat progressive compared to other cons, but everything kinda falls apart where he doesn't care for social services, wants to destroy healthcare and couldn't give two shits about the poor. Like sorry, the government should help those in society that are the most vulnerable
Hell I would even go on to say he's not pro at all. He just doesn't care

Vamphuntr

Or large parts of voters couldn't give a shit about how we vote, they just want the economy to work

The correct answer is being given the impression the economy works :p Most people don't really understand how the economy, the banking and the country's debt system works in the first place. And if the USA has shown us anything it's that a certain number of people are totally obsessed about how immigrants and cultural communities vote.

Would him not having traditional conservative social views impact him being chosen as party leader? I guess conservative voters don't have another party to vote for but living in the west there seems to be a lot of people who would be hung up on him not being pro-life.

That's not Freeland though. That lady is from the VP staff.

Butts was also there. see the third pic here:

https://twitter.com/VP/status/831240296486862848

Huh, so it's not. I was sure I'd seen a report saying she was going down, but that must've been outdated. I stand corrected -- but I still say our cabinet is better at diversity than Trump's!

I guess that goes to show how quickly people can forget about electoral reform. lol

I'd think that the poorly-attended rallies over the weekend (at least using the Ottawa one as a baseline) shows that most people forgot about it well before today, to the extent they cared all that much to begin with. ;)

Would him not having traditional conservative social views impact him being chosen as party leader? I guess conservative voters don't have another party to vote for but living in the west there seems to be a lot of people who would be hung up on him not being pro-life.

I don't know that it'll stop anyone from becoming CPC leader, but it would make any leader's life more difficult if roughly one-third of party members actively don't trust them. In O'Leary's case specifically, I think he'll already be viewed with a lot of suspicion by party members for his other positions. Even if he does somehow win leadership -- which I still maintain is far from certain -- he'll be inheriting a party that doesn't trust him much.

Silexx

Huh, so it's not. I was sure I'd seen a report saying she was going down, but that must've been outdated. I stand corrected -- but I still say our cabinet is better at diversity than Trump's!

Freeland did go to Washington with Trudeau, but she attended Trump and Trudeau's roundtable for women while this other meeting was taking place.

Don't want to jinx anything, but Trump is sticking hard to the script. They must have really drilled him not to fuck this up.
He's been having a shitty 3 weeks and the Flynn story has dominated the news for 2 days (Flynn finally resigned) "no puppet!"

Trudeau's visit was the only positive story coming out of DC

But the Flynn story has crushed all news

I guess that goes to show how quickly people can forget about electoral reform. lol

I mean, the promise is dead, the media kicked up its storm and aside from a couple stagger cities, the rallies across Canada are done after having brought in a couple thousand people across the country. Trudeau debated with a couple people out in the public, digging his heels in each time. Everyone is now focussed on the Trump/Trudeau stuff because thats the new hotness.

The next time Electoral Reform will get the spotlight is when the NDP motion to declare that Liberals Misled Canadians inevitably fails to go through tomorrow, and then we won't get anything else until Nathan Cullen formally submits the petition (which is currently at 115,000+ signatures) to parliament sometime after March 2nd. At which point the Liberals might make a statement and it will be in the news window for another week before something else bumps it off.

It's not that it's forgotten, but that it had its week of coverage and now it's on the back burner until something happens with it again.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'd think that the poorly-attended rallies over the weekend (at least using the Ottawa one as a baseline) shows that most people forgot about it well before today, to the extent they cared all that much to begin with. ;)
Or large parts of voters couldn't give a shit about how we vote, they just want the economy to work
I mean, the promise is dead, the media kicked up its storm and aside from a couple stagger cities, the rallies across Canada are done after having brought in a couple thousand people across the country. Trudeau debated with a couple people out in the public, digging his heels in each time. Everyone is now focussed on the Trump/Trudeau stuff because thats the new hotness.

The next time Electoral Reform will get the spotlight is when the NDP motion to declare that Liberals Misled Canadians inevitably fails to go through tomorrow, and then we won't get anything else until Nathan Cullen formally submits the petition (which is currently at 115,000+ signatures) to parliament sometime after March 2nd. At which point the Liberals might make a statement and it will the news window for another week before something else bumps it off.

It's not that it's forgotten, but that it had its week of coverage and now it's on the back burner until something happens with it again.
I just think it's cute how everyone is in love with Trudeau again. I'm sure the Liberals want Trump to stay on for the whole 8 years at this point. :p

I guess I can go back to Berniebro apathy about the political process and vote for the local Marxist candidate in the next election. lol

I just think it's cute how everyone is in love with Trudeau again. I'm sure the Liberals want Trump to stay on for the whole 8 years at this point. :p

I guess I can go back to Berniebro apathy about the political process and vote for the local Marxist candidate in the next election. lol

You can like Trudeau and hate some of his policies. The two items aren't mutually exclusive.

I really think the right strategy with trump is 'don't poke the bear'. Trump and his administration have only talked about Canada when prompted. They have only talked about NAFTA and Canada when prompted. It's possible that we can sort of fly under the radar and weather the storm for 4 years without too much permanent damage being done here.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I really think the right strategy with trump is 'don't poke the bear'. Trump and his administration have only talked about Canada when prompted. They have only talked about NAFTA and Canada when prompted. It's possible that we can sort of fly under the radar and weather the storm for 4 years without too much permanent damage being done here.

When he fails to create jobs and start panicking, he'll turn his sight on the Canadian auto industry.

Kyuur

Some of us never stopped liking him. One issue doesn't ruin a PM/party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom