• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.

CazTGG

Round 8-10 Results:

gFNxIA6.png
Bernier's lead is shrinking, so it's becoming increasingly more likely we won't have to worry about going back to the gold standard.

Who the hell is gonna get Chong's votes. O'Toole?

Probably. I don't seem many of them going for Trost.

Pedrito

Remember when Michelle Rempel was drunk-tweeting about if she should join the race or not? I wonder if she regrets not entering considering how lackluster it's been.

mlclmtckr

Banned
The convention seems kind of miserable tbh. Weird dim blue light everywhere, nonstop hoedown music onstage, and the world's saddest balloon drop ready to go on the ceiling.

Remember when Michelle Rempel was drunk-tweeting about if she should join the race or not? I wonder if she regrets not entering considering how lackluster it's been.

I wrote a paper back in October for my Political Management program about why she'd be the best candidate. I think the last several months have validated that.

Sean C

Michelle Rempel doing a valiant effort to frame social conservatism as concern about income-splitting over abortion.

And boy, does she not like O'Leary.

Pedrito

I wrote a paper back in October for my Political Management program about why she'd be the best candidate. I think the last several months have validated that.

I generally find her insufferable, but she does tick many boxes for the CPC:
-Western candidate
-Young
-Not from the middle-age socially
-Immigration skeptic
-Pro-pipelines, low-taxes, deficits are the devil, etc.
-Well spoken and very good at being outraged, something conservatives like more than anything

Not sure how's her French though.

Deltell vs. Rempel in 2020?

Rempel's French is decent -- better than most of the candidates this time around. I think that if they turf Scheer after losing in 2019, Deltell & Rempel are sure to be in. O'Toole would probably make another run for it, too. And thanks to his strong finish here, I unfortunately don't think we've seen the last of Trost.

Trost on the CBC saying his voters won't go to Bernier because he's from Quebec lol

...I mean, he's not lying.

CazTGG

Round 11 Results:

Bernier's now 6% lead continues to carry him through these rounds ahead of Scheer (I believe the closest they were was about 5 during the 2nd-10th).

Side-note: We may not have Harper massacring Sweet Caroline, but someone is clearly guilty of murdering Cake By The Ocean...and I don't even like that song.

Cant see the CPC ever winning with Scheer (or even Bernier tbh)

Scheer is basically a younger Harper so...probably if people vote against Harper-lite like they did Harper Classic.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Isn't he technically right though? O'Toole's voters don't necessarily have to go anywhere, which helps Bernier as he's currently in the lead.

Isn't he technically right though? O'Toole's voters don't necessarily have to go anywhere, which helps Bernier as he's currently in the lead.

They don't, but odds are good they pick Scheer as the next least-objectionable candidate. Personally, I find Scheer to be way too socially conservative, but if I were a CPCer, I think I'd find him more palatable than Bernier from an electoral standpoint.

Sean C

The Race for Stornoway: Round 12

3. O'Toole, 21.26%
2. Scheer, 38.36%
1. Bernier, 40.38%

Bernier's lead collapses to slightly under 2%. Now it comes down to where O'Toole's voters go.

Bernier's main hope here is that anybody who ranked O'Toole ahead of Scheer had some animus against Scheer.

Which is kind of crazy, because even though he's a hardcore social conservative, Scheer also makes Harper look like a charismatic dynamo. He's, like, the human equivalent of lukewarm water and dry toast.

Mr.Mike

In the end Red Tories are choosing between a Libertarian and a Social Conservative who's promised to not push the issue much.

I'm guessing Bernier is just too radical for that faction.

I've pretty much decided I don't favour either one, probably because I'm left-leaning.

But, like many of you, I don't think either one will win in 2019.

So if Scheer wins this, and then either Singh or Ashton win for the NDP, Trudeau will be the oldest major party leader in 2019. That'd be a pretty abrupt generational shift!

I've pretty much decided I don't favour either one, probably because I'm left-leaning.

But, like many of you, I don't think either one will win in 2019.

From a partisan Liberal perspective, I'd slightly favour Bernier, since I think he'd render the whole party unelectable, whereas Scheer just means they're writing off most francophone voters. But yes, neither of these guys would be palatable for me in terms of having acceptable policies. I thought O'Toole and Raitt were the only ones who were even remotely moderate, and even then, they were both fairly conservative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom