• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Holy crap.

That is a deeply divided party.

He doesn't speak French, and he's the blandest man alive. As I've always said, 2019 is a long way away, but he faces a pretty steep uphill climb if he wants to do it.

By that same token, didn't Bernier not speak particularly good English either?

Pedrito

In a way, I'm disappointed we won't get to witness the sheer hilarity of a Bernier-led CPC. But maybe it's for the best.

Holy crap.

He doesn't speak French, and he's the blandest man alive. As I've always said, 2019 is a long way away, but he faces a pretty steep uphill climb if he wants to do it.

His French is really not that bad from what I've seen. About on par with Harper.

Stop Scheer didn't work, rip.

Oh well, time to move on to the NDP and that mess. lol

So you know all the excitement we've seen over the last few hours as they've dragged out the results? The NDP have decided, in their wisdom, that they'd rather stretch it out over several weeks, with each round being announced on Saturday nights.

Who needs drama anyway?

By that same token, didn't Bernier not speak particularly good English either?

Bernier's English is better than Scheer's French.

His French is really not that bad from what I've seen. About on par with Harper.

In the first French debate, just a few months ago, part of Scheer's closing remarks were about how he's just learning imparfait and passé conditionel. Harper's French is very anglo (and as an anglo, I appreciate that), but it was still technically solid. Scheer's isn't. And now he'll be spending the next two years not just rebuilding the party, but also working to get his French up to a level where he can take part in debates. That's a pretty big challenge.

CazTGG

So does he have a chance against Trudeau?

Depends on how much, if at all, he can improve his French and hide his more social conservative views from voters like Harper did. It's highly unlikely at this point but there's still two more years to things to go awry for the Trudeau government and/or for the NDP to make a comeback.

If Harper proved anything, it's that you can get elected without having a shred of charisma in your body.

mlclmtckr

Banned
I wonder if his being devoutly Catholic helps him with right wing religious voters in Quebec.

But also yeah that is a man who has phonetically memorized like six sentences of French.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So you know all the excitement we've seen over the last few hours as they've dragged out the results? The NDP have decided, in their wisdom, that they'd rather stretch it out over several weeks, with each round being announced on Saturday nights.

Who needs drama anyway?

Hey, we all sat and watched this shit show didn't we? They got the last laugh! lol

I wonder if his being devoutly Catholic helps him with right wing religious voters in Quebec.

But also yeah that is a man who has phonetically memorized like six sentences of French.

I expect whatever strategy they go for now will be Ontario first.

mo60

He'd certainly drain support from Quebec but I have a hard time seeing Ontario or the Maritimes going blue with him in charge.

Conservatives don't need to turn the Maritimes blue to win the next election. They just need to shrink the liberals support their a bit.

mo60

If Jagmeet Singh ends up being the NDP leader expect 20-30 seats in Quebec to go to the bloc next election. lol

The bloc is dead and most polls show that so far. I think the NDP can maybe gain a few seats if Singh becomes their leader or lose seats for them. Quebec is likely lost now for the conservatives while the liberals will likely get way more seats in Quebec in the next election.

So as someone who stopped following the CPC leadership race shortly before O'Leary withdrew is Scheer better than Bernier at least? Not like I'd vote for him anyways but i want to know more about what we're up against for 2019.

Vibranium

Banned
Bernier's internet base must be so upset.

Yeah I'll accept Scheer over him, at least he doesn't want to dismantle our health care. Harper 2.0 is actually better than what we've seen in the US at least. Most Conservative voters are probably satisfied with him.

Would Bernier have had a better chance of beating Trudeau if he won than Scheer?

Probably not. He'd have been more acceptable to some Quebec voters, but he'd also be killed over his plan to dismantle healthcare. And bring back the gold standard. And end supply management. And call in the military to stop immigration. And, of course, the fact he was fired from cabinet over leaving confidential documents with his Hell's Angels ex-girlfriend.

Then again, Bernier also has a bit of charisma, doesn't look like an overgrown baby stuffed into a suit, and, again, he'd be able to go on the offensive in Quebec. Out of a bad lot, he may have been the best option, but none of them were particularly great choices.

Pedrito

Harper is literally considered the low-bar as far as a Federal leader speaking French. Being on par isn't great.

I mean, he's perfecly intelligible so that's already pretty good compared to most other candidates. Asking for perfect pronunciation and grammar is a lot. Even Trudeau doesn't pass that bar ;)

Who are these people?

mlclmtckr

Banned
Okay it's kind of sad and boring that all he's doing is whining about the Liberals. This is not exactly soaring rhetoric.

I expect whatever strategy they go for now will be Ontario first.

Yeah, true.

As someone who grew up in the 905 I know it's a key battleground area and very susceptible to conservatism but idk

EDIT : HOLY SHIT HES GONNA DEFUND SAFE SPACES LOL

Sean C

The bloc is dead and most polls show that so far. I think the NDP can maybe gain a few seats if Singh becomes their leader or lose seats for them. Quebec is likely lost now for the conservatives while the liberals will likely get way more seats in Quebec in the next election.
The Bloc may be dead now, but obviously that's subject to changes in circumstances.

There probably is a chunk of the NDP's Quebec base that wouldn't vote for a guy wearing a turban (sadly).

mlclmtckr

Banned
So Scheer hit all the bases in his speech. Carbon Tax repeal, hate Trudeau, balance the budget, fight back against the SJWs, hate Trudeau, Islamic terror, party unity, hate Trudeau Sr., the end.

I hope he does about as well as Stockwell Day did.

Bernier wanted to end federal government spending for health care? Damn. Just madness.
I am scared that he even came close then to winning the leadership race.

I think the CPC keeps a few seats around Quebec City, the BQ stays around where they are, the NDP get decimated, and the Liberals wind up with around 60 seats in the province.

Just got home after a sunny day, turn on the TV: lol this is what Scheer sounds like? Haha

I call it: Trudeau Majority 2019

I think this is the most likely scenario right now.

Pedrito

The Bloc may be dead now, but obviously that's subject to changes in circumstances.

There probably is a chunk of the NDP's Quebec base that wouldn't vote for a guy wearing a turban (sadly).

Could have the opposite effect. Seeing a charistmatic cool guy with a turban could open their eyes on the world.

He seems to speak fairly good French as well.

I mean there must be some right.

Too small a number to make a difference. The conservatism that sells in Quebec is low taxes and anti-immigration. No one cares about abortion or gay marriage.

CazTGG

Okay it's kind of sad and boring that all he's doing is whining about the Liberals. This is not exactly soaring rhetoric.

Yeah, true.

As someone who grew up in the 905 I know it's a key battleground area and very susceptible to conservatism but idk

EDIT : HOLY SHIT HES GONNA DEFUND SAFE SPACES LOL

Well, only safe spaces that pertain to the right-wing thought bubble; he's cited Jordan Peterson spewing his garbage and anti-abortion when he previously discussed this proposal, but voted against M-103, a motion (read: Not a law) to say Islamophobia is a bad thing.

Just got home after a sunny day, turn on the TV: lol this is what Scheer sounds like? Haha

I call it: Trudeau Majority 2019

Assuming no massive disaster or setback when it comes to, say, marijuana legalization, sure. I don't see Scheer doing anything to upset the Trudeau government's majority unless social cons are really motivated next election.

So Scheer hit all the bases in his speech. Carbon Tax repeal, hate Trudeau, balance the budget, fight back against the SJWs, hate Trudeau, Islamic terror, party unity, hate Trudeau Sr., the end.

I hope he does about as well as Stockwell Day did.

They do realize he's dead and considerably more well-liked than any of them, right? I don't think they need to bang that of all drums.

Like the other guy said, the bloc ain't dead and neither is separatism (still at 30-35% who would vote yes). Yeah, could see Liberals gaining seats in some Quebec ridings but remember that the provincial Liberals are still nearly universally hated.

Would really expect the NDP ridings to flip Bloc and not Liberal.

So same old same old with the CPC, you'd think they'd learn to evolve some policies. Electing Harper 0.5 with the same old backwards platform and with bigotry sprinkled in will not defeat Trudeau.

Too small a number to make a difference. The conservatism that sells in Quebec is low taxes and anti-immigration. No one cares about abortion or gay marriage.

Yeah, I have a hard time seeing Scheer-style conservatism being popular with Quebec voters. If you squint and tilt your head just so, he's kinda, sorta anti-immigrant, in that he bought into the fear-mongering stuff about M-103, but I don't think it comes as naturally to him as his opposition to abortion or gay marriage and his deep religiosity.

Like the other guy said, the bloc ain't dead and neither is separatism (still at 30-35% who would vote yes). Yeah, could see Liberals gaining seats in some Quebec ridings but remember that the provincial Liberals are still nearly universally hated.

Would really expect the NDP ridings to flip Bloc and not Liberal.

If you look at the NDP's remaining Quebec seats, I think they were almost all won in tight 3- and 4-way races, and I don't think they flipped any seats in 2015. I think 2019, when they won't have a Quebec leader (and may not even have one who speaks French, if Angus wins), will be a major uphill battle for them in that province. And everywhere else, too, but especially Quebec.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
nope... they just used a pool of money as revenue
I'm honestly trying to think of anything positive the Conservatives did during their decade in power that would actually prove that Tory principles are better than Liberal ones, but I can't think of a single one.

Conservatives taking credit for 2008 is still laugh line worthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom