• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cancel your preorders. iPad Air (aka iPad 5) and iPad Mini Retina announced.

bumpkin

i am going to buy the mini.

the 10 is too big to hold in 1 hand when you are in bed etc.

but i wana see how thin the air compared to the mini. if its much thinner, then fuck it. i will buy the air.
That's what she said!

Hey, someone had to make the joke.

Retina mini is ultra overpriced when competitors are making comparable products at half the price. It's like if the PS4 were $1000 while the Xbone was $500.

iPad Air looks great, though.

SRTtoZ

If this was any other time besides Next gen starting next month I would *probably* sell my iPad 4 and buy the 5 since they hold their value really well however I'm planning on spending over $500 next month, so no thanks.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Am I the only one who's been annoyed for years that Apple pretty much just slaps iPhone's iOS on the iPad and calls it a day? iOS's simplicity is great for phones, but it feels so restricting to me on a device the size of an iPad.

You're not alone. Even on the phone end, the OS is starting to feel really restrictive as the years go on. I understand their dilemma to keep things simple for the masses, as well as encourage people to shop exclusively in their ecosystem, but as Android continues to evolve and hardware gets to the point where Apple no longer is king in the performance department, the restrictions are only getting more and more annoying.

weevles

I don't really understand the price increase on the Mini.

I know Apple is Apple, but the market for tablets is only going to grow in places that are price-driven. The high-end/lux tablet market has plateaued and I don't see Apple getting new people to buy Minis when the larger Ipad Air is not much more.

IMO the Mini should've been the entry-level model at an entry level price.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I understand the topic title is a joke (and I would never buy an Apple product anyway), but if it was really a choice between a next-gen system and one of these, and the purpose was gaming, it's obviously no choice. One can play games with controls that aren't abhorrent, and the other can't. Touch screen only controls <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< every other form of controls, except Kinect which is worse.

It's a joke but also the fact that people maybe can't budget for both. I play tablet games but they are things that work well on a tablet. Luckily most of us can eventually own multiple types of game devices. I will get a ps4 probably around the time of the new Metal Gear Solid. I can see how some people would bypass next gen for now considering launch games. But a lot of those people facing that choice probably already have a current gen console too (or a 3ds or whatever)

Coolwhip

Banned
You're not alone. Even on the phone end, the OS is starting to feel really restrictive as the years go on. I understand their dilemma to keep things simple for the masses, as well as encourage people to shop exclusively in their ecosystem, but as Android continues to evolve and hardware gets to the point where Apple no longer is king in the performance department, the restrictions are only getting more and more annoying.

In what way is android better?

ss_lemonade

Did Apple add a microSD card slot and can I hook my 360 controller up to play games now?

I have a friend with a Surface (I'm not a big tablet person), and he plays a lot of games (including SNES roms) with his 360 controller on his surface. Pretty neat.
Your better off with a Shield if you want a portable, emu monster.

So are the specs between the Air and Mini (minus the screen size) identical?

shandy706

Why is that neat? You've had the option to easily pirate shit and run emulators on Android for years if that's your bag. Not to mention conventional Windows laptops.

I'm sorry if I don't agree that lugging around a 360 controller to play Super Nintendo games on my ultra-portable tablet filled with cutting edge technology is an attractive value add.

Agree with what?

I don't think it's a "value add" in any way..LOL

I think both are a waste of money gaming wise. Then again...I'll drop $600 on SLI'ed cards in my PC...matter of preference. I'd take a 3DS or Vita any day for gaming on the go.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
$400 for mini retina? wtf apple, why the price increase?

rrs

I understand the topic title is a joke (and I would never buy an Apple product anyway), but if it was really a choice between a next-gen system and one of these, and the purpose was gaming, it's obviously no choice. One can play games with controls that aren't abhorrent, and the other can't. Touch screen only controls <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< every other form of controls, except Kinect which is worse.

Some games are actually built and are better on touchscreens rather than button based controls.

Profit margins.

Mugatu

My iPad 3 is struggling with iOS 7. Must've been Apple's plan so I could want to upgrade. Maybe I will, not sure yet.

Because iPad 2 is >= iPad 3 in performance. Insides couldn't handle the screen.

My ipad3 is running great. I did read some people had problems with ios7 though, not sure what the problem is since mine runs great.

you know, Surface Pro 2, not RT, RT is bad, plain bad, Pro2 is way better than iPad in many of these chackboxes.

its also a grand i think?

surface pro's were weird stuff... they were too heavy and win 8 store is lols to be used as a good tablet, and its not as easy to use as a laptop either with the funky touchcover (i heard the buttons one was ok though). And I think you can get way more kickass ultrabooks for similar price.

did 2 address any of my issues?

Sanke__

Ipad profits are all about hardware sales

Console profits are all about software sales

I feel like they are not near as comparable as people make them out to be

(Obviously more ipads will be sold)

njean777

image.png

Turn those two around, and then we can see which one is actually better. Does th acer have a retina screen as well?

Do note that ipad air can play FF6 legally while there is zero chance of next gen consoles being able to do that.

:(

I can do that for free If I really wanted, that isnt a great selling point.

iPad Mini was originally intended to be an entry-level iPad, like the iPhone 5C is to the 5S. But Apple learned that a lot of people actually prefer the Mini to the full-sized iPad regardless of price difference, so now they're treating the Mini as a premium product next to the Air instead of below it.

Also, they bumped up the specs to closer match the full iPad, too. Original Mini had weaker specs and non-Retina screen.

Eusis

Unlike the original iPad Mini which was basically a shrunk down iPad 2, this seems to be either a shrunk iPad Air or a larger iPhone 5S, so basically because it's actually using the latest hardware this time. Depending on the RAM amount it's more that you're saving $100 in exchange for a smaller screen, kind of like when buying TVs.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
In what way is android better?

Freedom to use it as a traditional computing device.

You know, things like being able to manage files. Easily get them on and off the device. Easily download any type of file and be able to access it directly from the device or transfer it elsewhere via a network, USB connection, Bluetooth or whatever other method. Being able to easily change what the default application is for any given task.

All of that is separate from the customization stuff like Widgets and skins and home replacements and whatnot, which I don't really care about, but are nice to have.

I just picked up the iPhone 5S recently and it's a fine device, but as the competition continues to improve, things are definitely looking greener on the other side. I'm not ready to make the switch quite yet, but who knows in a year or two.

I prefer Surface too.

Never understood why people buy the same thing every year. And it's not like it's a 150-200$ gadget... those prices are expensive !

Surface love in this thread.... Unexpected but welcome. I agree. *looks at surface and then over to new surface 2......* Dangit.

Gator86

MS should buy Apple's marketing department and then raise the price of the Xbone to 800-900 bucks. Guaranteed sales juggernaut.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Just comparing the hardware the retina Mini is really expensive when you see the Nexus 7 2013 or the ne Kindle Fire HDX for half the price - both with double the ram, fast processors and full HD displays

Sinthor

Gold Member
as in the new ones.

And yeah, hope not many people are taking me title seriously... but yeah its a bit tough on the wallet this fall.

780 ti vs next gen console vs new ipad for my ~$500 or so of fun budget.

Yeah, I hear you. It is pretty pricey. People are missing the big deal about these though, just as with the new iPhone although I question how useful it will be in the PHONE. These are all 64-bit now. Apple's the only manufacturer to have 64 bit mobile devices. What this will do is pave the way for Apple to start having iOS stuff run on the Mac and vice versa. It's a pretty big deal.

Bottom line, yeah the iPads are more expensive than you can get some other tablets for...but they're also way more functional and have way more available for them in the way of apps. So it just depends on what you want and need.

Device 6 was just released and is better than anything launching on the next-gen consoles so, yeah, pretty much.

It's impeccably designed but it's about 45 minutes long and has maybe five easy puzzles. I definitely think it's worth four bucks but lets not go saying silly things.

KorrZ

Apple pricing has always been ridiculous but $399.99 for the Mini is a joke. I think I'll take my PS4 for that price thanks...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
MS should buy Apple's marketing department and then raise the price of the Xbone to 800-900 bucks. Guaranteed sales juggernaut.

Do you think the marketing affects user satisfaction, too?

njean777

Just comparing the hardware the retina Mini is really expensive when you see the Nexus 7 2013 or the ne Kindle Fire HDX for half the price - both with double the ram, fast processors and full HD displays

Yep that is my big gripe with the price hike on the mini, it is unwarranted and not matter what way people spin it. I love the iphone but for tablets I think the Nexus 7 is still the best on the market.

solarus

You are talking out of your ass here. The retina mini has the a7 processor, which is a beast in terms of performance that kicks the living shit out of the s4 pro in the nexus 7.
The price hike is because the mini now has the same innards as its bigger brother, before the mini would have a soc that was one generation behind, now it's on par instead.

polg

I've been holding off from buying a new ipad (I have a launch gen-1) until the retina mini... now I'm ready to throw money at this.

Sinthor

Gold Member

RAM is not a factor when you're comparing these...not like it is with a PC. Fact is a bottom line Nexus 7 is what...$229 and you're talking $299 for the iPad mini that has far more available for it and is better performance wise.

Still, nothing wrong with the Nexus series and if that's what someone wants...good for them.

I just think it's ridiculous how some folk (not the poster quoted above!) try to make it seem like one product or the other in the Tablet market is the end all be all and it makes no sense to consider anything else. In the case of the Android tablets..there's clearly a market of folk who like those. For the iPads...170 million reasons to say you're wrong about it sucking. :)

Coolwhip

Banned
Freedom to use it as a traditional computing device.

You know, things like being able to manage files. Easily get them on and off the device. Easily download any type of file and be able to access it directly from the device or transfer it elsewhere via a network, USB connection, Bluetooth or whatever other method. Being able to easily change what the default application is for any given task.

All of that is separate from the customization stuff like Widgets and skins and home replacements and whatnot, which I don't really care about, but are nice to have.

I just picked up the iPhone 5S recently and it's a fine device, but as the competition continues to improve, things are definitely looking greener on the other side. I'm not ready to make the switch quite yet, but who knows in a year or two.

With more things being in the cloud I'm not sure why being able to download files is a good thing. I have both android and iOS devices and I find Android just a messy version of iOS, but meh. I guess we should leave that discussion on the millions of Android vs iOS forums.

Mrbob

I hope Apple does something innovative with the Ipad next year. Thinner, lighter, only goes so far and I don't know how much more Apple can shave off.

Ipad is going to sell because it is the Ipad.

Eusis

You'd have more success just selling the Xbox to Apple entirely.

And I do believe the biggest part of their success was discovering an untapped niche for electronics and having just the right pitch, the pitch alone wasn't going to sell it and similar products went ignored without the right pitch. Xbox One would probably end up less iPad and more G4 Cube.

SRTtoZ

I have a samsung galaxy
I have a laptop

Please, tell me why I would ever need a tablet?

You probably dont. I opted to sell my laptop and build a desktop and get a tablet (ipad). Its amazing when you lay in bed at night and browse gaf or watch netflix/hbo go. It also comes in handy when you're playing MMO's and you prop your ipad up under your monitor and multitask.

Uthred

iPAD 5 is €489, which is ~€20 more than the sterling price and a whopping €120 more than the dollar pice, dat import cost

Top Bottom