• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cancel your preorders. iPad Air (aka iPad 5) and iPad Mini Retina announced.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I do have a Nexus 7 from last year, but I've been getting annoyed by some aspects and iOS just has better software support period. Stuff like Smartglass is a joke on Android versus iOS or Windows 8.

The old Nexus 7 definitely has performance problems. I bought the new one to replace it but I also have full sized ipads so I don't lose out on ios software. I think it makes a lot of sense to go with ios for the next device even if you like android. I like having access to all the different platforms. I still use my new N7 most but I do heavy duty browsing on iPad and some games like Hearthstone are going to be ios only for the time being (well not counting pc which is where I'm playing it now since that's where the beta is)

I'm probably the only werido in the world who wants Apple to go the opposite direction and make a larger iPad Pro.

Give me a decent ips 13-15" screen (doesn't have to be crazy "retina") relatively thin and light ( ipad OG thin/light is fine by me) but allow it to run Mac OS X Mavericks and put a few USB and Lightening ports on it... bam... consider me dumping my iPad3 and MBP.

Eusis

Nope. My three year old iPod is considered ancient by mobile standards and can't run iOS 7 since apple made a boneheaded descision and designed it to be optimised for only the latest hardware.
When I say "reached the point" I meant with the latest hardware with stuff like the iPod Touch 4g being a victim of the rapid boom. Yeah, that was already unable to run GTAIII without locking up just a year later, and is effectively dead support-wise now. It's actually one of the biggest reasons I've been vehemently against the idea of mobile/tablets displacing dedicated handhelds, equal with the "no buttons" thing. Fuck the idea of having to pay hundreds each year or every other year just to be able to play the latest games.
The old Nexus 7 definitely has performance problems. I bought the new one to replace it but I also have full sized ipads so I don't lose out on ios software. I think it makes a lot of sense to go with ios for the next device even if you like android. I like having access to all the different platforms. I still use my new N7 most but I do heavy duty browsing on iPad and some games like Hearthstone are going to be ios only for the time being (well not counting pc which is where I'm playing it now since that's where the beta is)
I've ended up mainly using the Nexus 7 for web browsing, and it would seem for that alone the iPad CAN be much nicer.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
On muh way into Surface 2. Thanks Apple but no, thanks.

sooo.. saving $50 for..... ummm.. what again?

I can't think of a single check box where Surface 2 could/would get ticked. At least with Android tablets like HDX and Nexus 7 you have "great tablet for the price".

Surface 2 is "lesser tablet for only $50 savings"

less surface area on the screen
fewer apps
slower SoC
$50 savings?

KHlover

Banned
Depends on what for. To be fair (and not many would argue) the Kindle HDX is not an "android tablet". It's a device designed almost solely around consuming content from Amazon. If Amazon and web content is all you need/want, then the HDX is a great device. If you even want Android tablet/phone apps, the Kindle HDX is VERY hamstrung.. You can only easily load Amazon App Store apps. Google Play is not available and much more difficult to get apps from.

Wasn't it quite easy to sideload the Google Play Store onto the old Amazon tablets? Did they change that?

If it's still possible get the Play store running on the Kindle Fire HDX by any means it seems to have a pretty great value for its price *_*

Gamerloid

Looks nice, but you know the next Ipad will come out next year around the same time and will make the Ipad Air look like shit. So hesitant to buy tablets and smartphones these days because of the constant upgrades.

That's just how technology is, improving at a rapid pace. Doesn't mean you have to try and keep up with the latest devices. I don't really want to upgrade until iPad 3 is no longer supported. The only reason why I'm thinking about it is because iPad 3 doesn't perform very well on iOS 7.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Wasn't it quite easy to sideload the Google Play Store onto the old Amazon tablets? Did they change that?

If it's still possible get the Play store running on the Kindle Fire HDX by any means it seems to have a pretty great value for its price *_*

According to XDA, Google Play doesn't work on Fire HDX. I'm guessing Google Now and Fire HDX are not going to play nice.

You can still obviously sideload free apps from Google Play (from PC or another device) but paid apps are a no go on the Kindle HDX.

Gator86

Every time apple announces new products I just sit there dumbfounded. How can a rational human be okay with paying 400 dollars for the iPad mini?

Special C

No Thanks,

I'll stick to playing Civ 5 and all my Indie steam games on the Surface Pro 2 I picked up today. Thing is lightning fast.

Eusis

Missed this.
It's not so much the graphics, it's things like Oculus Rift. I'm thinking wait and see on the Rift (and a new video card to support it) before I get a new one of these more-of-the-same devices.
This is completely separate from what I was referring to really. Yeah, there's exciting new developments, but I remember how we got a VooDoo2 in 1998, only to be unable to play Deus Ex very well in 2000, nevermind Quake 3 Arena being literally incompatible with it. This is the situation mobile hardware's in right now or was in a few years ago at least, where something can be amazing on release then truly obsolete a year later. I wouldn't want that displacing handhelds entirely, much like how it'd have been terrible to not have consoles like the PS1, N64, or Dreamcast in addition to PCs in that time period.
Ipad will win because ppl do not solely buy it for gaming. Gaming consoles are bough for games only.
I don't think anyone was really debating this, and when you think about it this is basically like saying PCs always win over consoles because more people will buy PCs, I have little doubt the combined number of prebuilt desktops and laptops sold each year makes a mockery out of combined console sales.

Every time apple announces new products I just sit there dumbfounded. How can a rational human be okay with paying 400 dollars for the iPad mini?

It's $400 for the gimped version without any 3G / 4G capabilities and a tiny 16 GB hard drive.

If you want a version with slightly-decent hard-drive space and the ability to use data plans, it'll cost you $600+/$700+.

shandy706

I can't think of a single check box where Surface 2 could/would get ticked. At least with Android tablets like HDX and Nexus 7 you have "great tablet for the price".

fewer apps
slower SoC
$50 savings?

Did Apple add a microSD card slot and can I hook my 360 controller up to play games now?

I have a friend with a Surface (I'm not a big tablet person), and he plays a lot of games (including SNES roms) with his 360 controller on his surface. Pretty neat.

see5harp

Will wait for fingerprint version but it's hard to resist the weight advantage. The iPad 3 can been pretty damn heavy at times.

Mononoke

Banned
I personally loved the mini more than the ipad 3. Ended up switching to the mini full time. I like the dimensions better for holding it. That plus the weight just made it an all around better device IMO. iPad air looks sick. But looking at the dimensions and even the weight I still feel like Mini would be better. So I guess the mini with retina is cool. Prob wait till 2014 to upgrade.

lupinko

That's just how technology is, improving at a rapid pace. Doesn't mean you have to try and keep up with the latest devices. I don't really want to upgrade until iPad 3 is no longer supported. The only reason why I'm thinking about it is because iPad 3 doesn't perform very well on iOS 7.

They should be supporting the iPad 3th gen for awhile since Apple is still supporting the iPad 2 as of today's big announcements. Only the iPad 4th gen got discontinued today.

acm2000

will stick to my nexus 7 thanks, much nicer to use, nice to have some freedom in what i do

but please people, dont buy kindle fires, amazon ui over android is god awful

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
If the A7 package shot seen in the promo real is accurate, the RAM is the same size and speed as the 5S.

So 1GB? Could this thing just be the iPhone 5S hardware except it's now pushing over four times the pixels?

shandy706

but the catch 22 is that there are no games worth playing on win8 RT :D

Scroll back up, edited my post...the entire SNES and other emulator libraries are available and you can have them up and running in minutes, lol :p

I wouldn't spend $400-$500 on a tablet anyway though..especially not just to play SNES games.

KORNdoggy

So...basically the same thing all over again..

At this rate i feel like i will forever have and will forever only need an ipad 2.

Amir0x

Banned
I understand the topic title is a joke (and I would never buy an Apple product anyway), but if it was really a choice between a next-gen system and one of these, and the purpose was gaming, it's obviously no choice. One can play games with controls that aren't abhorrent, and the other can't. Touch screen only controls <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< every other form of controls, except Kinect which is worse.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
but the catch 22 is that there are no games worth playing on win8 RT :D

Does it has Angry Birds? (Legit question)

I understand the topic title is a joke (and I would never buy an Apple product anyway), but if it was really a choice between a next-gen system and one of these, and the purpose was gaming, it's obviously no choice. One can play games with controls that aren't abhorrent, and the other can't. Touch screen only controls <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< every other form of controls, except Kinect which is worse.
But iOS7 has built-in controller support!

Ha ha five hundred dollars.

image.png

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Did Apple add a microSD card slot and can I hook my 360 controller up to play games now?

I have a friend with a Surface (I'm not a big tablet person), and he plays a lot of games (including SNES roms) with his 360 controller on his surface. Pretty neat.

Why is that neat? You've had the option to easily pirate shit and run emulators on Android for years if that's your bag. Not to mention conventional Windows laptops.

I'm sorry if I don't agree that lugging around a 360 controller to play Super Nintendo games on my ultra-portable tablet filled with cutting edge technology is an attractive value add.

leakey

Have had an iPhone 4, not even a 4S for a couple years now. Guess I might try to pick up an older iPad when people start selling theirs to pick up the new one... I need something since my 2007 macbook is finally starting to conk out.

Jachaos

More like 10 months

No... I was still using my original phat DS when the DSi XL was out the same way many I know are still using the iPhone 4 which came out over 40 months ago and these people have just gotten a software update for it. I still use an iPad 2 from time to time and my first MacBook lasted me from 2007 to 2011 before I wanted to buy a MacBook Air, but it was still functioning well, the battery was only holding an hour's charge but that was after 4 years of intensive usage. These products are built to last, much more than 10 months. Otherwise they would lose a good part of what makes them a sound investment.

Hey guys, its a better one of those things. Get excite. Think off all thing you couldn't do on the iPad you bought last year that you could now. The list is practically endless.

oVerde

Banned

fewer apps
slower SoC
$50 savings?
you know, Surface Pro 2, not RT, RT is bad, plain bad, Pro2 is way better than iPad in many of these chackboxes.

wrowa

Am I the only one who's been annoyed for years that Apple pretty much just slaps iPhone's iOS on the iPad and calls it a day? iOS's simplicity is great for phones, but it feels so restricting to me on a device the size of an iPad.

rrs

It's $400 for the gimped version without any 3G / 4G capabilities and a tiny 16 GB hard drive.

If you want a version with slightly-decent hard-drive space and the ability to use data plans, it'll cost you $600+/$700+.

It's not really that small unless you load it up with music/movies.

Top Bottom