• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady 'GGG' Golovkin -Saturday September 16th |OT| This is Boxing

Stephen A at the fight.

IsNNFjK.gif

I-I-I don't know what to say! BOXING is a TRAVESTY!

TraBuch

Banned
I don't think anyone would have serious issues with a draw if the first judge scored it 7-5 or even 8-4, 10-2 is absolute bullshit.

this is some wrestlemania shit

No, it really isn't. Canelo landed a lot of counters and body shots, only Lampley didn't verbally cum after each one. There are multiple ways to judge and gauge fights and rounds that are this close. Aggression isn't an automatic win. And I had it GGG by a hair.

Instro

118-110 Canelo is ridiculous but I told you guys like I always do with these things . That was a close fucking fight. You don't automatically lose a round because you are backing up. And you don't automatically win a round because you are aggressive. Both guys exchanged at a pretty close clip. Canelo put in work on the body.

Sure, but generally you should lose a round if you are being outlanded, which it's fair to say Canelo was outlanded in most rounds. Giving Canelo anything better than a draw is not great scoring frankly. The only rounds in question to me would be 1-3 and 10-12, those are the only rounds I can see being scored for Canelo. So yeah that 118-110 is bizarro.

People swearing boxing's dead like they didn't just pay nearly $200 ($100 for Floyd/Conor, $70 to $80 for this) to see a combined total of one competitive fight that had one correct result, neither in the same fight

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I will say that a rematch ends badly for Canelo imo, GGG knows he can walk through his shots more or less. Canelo can say he wasn't surprised by GGG's power but he was clearly the one who felt the shots more on his end.

Chichikov

Great fight.
I got GGG 115 113, but there were a bunch of close rounds and I can see people scoring it quite differently.

And in any case, this is nowhere near the robbery that the internet outrage surely will make it out to be.

Bring on the rematch, let's trilogy that shit.

Sure, but generally you should lose a round if you are being outlanded, which it's fair to say Canelo was outlanded in most rounds. Giving Canelo anything better than a draw is pretty bad scoring frankly. The only rounds in question to me would be 1-3 and 10-12, those are the only rounds I can see being scored for Canelo. So yeah that 118-110 is bizarro.

Judges aren't told to give the round to whoever throws/lands the most. In terms of damage a lot of rounds were closer. Again, I had it for GGG but people that had it for him in a rout were just setting themselves up for disappointment.

Golovkin won rounds 4-7 and nothing else. His stalking style just seems easier to score for as opposed to Canelo's terrific defense and counters.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
It's not her having Canelo winning. Giving Canelo 10 rounds is INSANE.

Like Teddy Atlas once said, "It's either incompetence, or corruption."

Gorillaz

No, it really isn't. Canelo landed a lot of counters and body shots, only Lampley didn't verbally cum after each one. There are multiple ways to judge and gauge fights and rounds that are this close. Aggression isn't an automatic win. And I had it GGG by a hair.
I meant in everyone's reaction lol

Beach

This is the Eastern Europeon Moonlight moment. We almost did it?

Fight was a lot closer then most people think and was great overall.

Top Bottom