• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady 'GGG' Golovkin -Saturday September 16th |OT| This is Boxing

smurfx

get some go again
Wonder how quickly they book the rematch. The more time that goes by the more it favors Canelo
maybe they book a match vs cotto and the winner then fights GGG. maybe fight cotto cinco de mayo weekend since it falls on a saturday next year and then book the rematch for sep 15 next year.

JLG-

U can make the case canelo won the first 3 rounds. And u can make the case that he won at least 2 of the last 3 if not all 3. That's 5-6 rounds right there for canelo. Yea GGG kept coming forward but canelo made him miss a lot and he was countering him all night. Boxing isn't scored just based on walking forward and swinging away. 115-113 either way is an acceptable score.

Fox318

People swearing boxing's dead like they didn't just pay nearly $200 ($100 for Floyd/Conor, $70 to $80 for this) to see a combined total of one competitive fight that had one correct result, neither in the same fight
Big events are always going to be a thing espically when there is a demand for live sports.

But outside of 4 boxing fights a year the sport is dead.

Nobody is watching PBC and you have clowns like Tyson Fury around.

The sport is so fucking obsessed about creating undefeated champ vs undefeated champ that the sport suffers.

I don't really care if somebody loses so long as they are skilled.

Wallach

Great fight.
I got GGG 115 113, but there were a bunch of close rounds and I can see people scoring it quite differently.

And in any case, this is nowhere near the robbery that the internet outrage surely will make it out to be.

Bring on the rematch, let's trilogy that shit.

Actual result is not robbery. 118-110 is just a stupid scorecard. Commentator is on point with the Hagler comparison.

TuXx

Had Golovkin winning.

Canelo started strong but then gassed out. Canelo has always had stamina issues so the added weight probably made it worse.

And who was it that had the 110-118 card?

imBask

Banned
Big events are always going to be a thing espically when there is a demand for live sports.

But outside of 4 boxing fights a year the sport is dead.

Nobody is watching PBC and you have clowns like Tyson Fury around.

The sport is so fucking obsessed about creating undefeated champ vs undefeated champ that the sport suffers.

I don't really care if somebody loses so long as they are skilled.

Are you trying to say that Vince McMahon bought boxing?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
At least whatever the scorecard is, it's nice to see I can actually just outright stop paying attention to people saying GGG will be exposed since he clearly was the better fighter.

Joe

This is like if the Super Bowl ended in a tie.

The fight was really close but a draw is still dumb.

No one wants to see a draw. Figure out a way to pick a winner in the event of split scorecards.

HiiiLife

So I guess I ain't losing money considering it was a draw, but now I'm def gonna put it on GGG instead when the rematch happens.

sibarraz

Banned
Is MMA really taking boxing? and is boxing really in a bad position?

I mean, this year the only UFC fight that looked like a big deal was JoJo vs DC, meanwhile, boxing had this match and joshua vs klitcshko. Even Canelo vs Chavez seemed to do good business.

At least I have the feeling that boxing is hotter than last year, while UFC is lower in the same time span

Top Bottom