• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady 'GGG' Golovkin -Saturday September 16th |OT| This is Boxing

smurfx

get some go again
Yup. Amazing how they went to "such a good fight " to "boxing lol"

Canelo needs to work in his condition. I hope he knows that.
i'm wondering if he had a bad cut or something. dude looked gassed at the 6th round. he needs to be a bit more aggressive in the rematch.

Turin

Banned
I love Teddy but I worry about that man's blood pressure.

118-110 Canelo is ridiculous but I told you guys like I always do with these things . That was a close fucking fight. You don't automatically lose a round because you are backing up. And you don't automatically win a round because you are aggressive. Both guys exchanged at a pretty close clip. Canelo put in work on the body.

I thought Canelo was the sharper fighter when he stayed engaged. He took too much time off and GGG was putting in work even if it wasn't as clean. 7-5 is the closest I could see it.

Chichikov

Actual result is not robbery. 118-110 is just a stupid scorecard. Commentator is on point with the Hagler comparison.
Agreed, though I need to rewatch the fight to gauge my outrage, it's just giving every close round to Canelo. I've seen such scorecards in the past that seem way less outrageous when you break them down round by round carefully. I still think it's bullshit, the question is just how bullshit.

Is MMA really taking boxing? and is boxing really in a bad position?

I mean, this year the only UFC fight that looked like a big deal was JoJo vs DC, meanwhile, boxing had this match and joshua vs klitcshko. Even Canelo vs Chavez seemed to do good business.

At least I have the feeling that boxing is hotter than last year, while UFC is lower in the same time span

No. This fight alone is probably going to do more ppv buys than UFC's entire 2017 ppv lineup.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
yo the rematch is going to be insane! we were hyped for this imagine ggg/canelo 2!!!!

GGG would maybe KO him I feel. He respected Canelo a little too much here, especially early, which makes sense, but he was pretty much walking through Canelo's shots later on. To me, the difference in power was clear.

I think this fight proved GGG cannot be KO'd, he took Canelo's biggest shots and laughed them off.
Canelo is a powerful puncher but his natural weight is below this weight class. It was very unlikely he could carry that power into middleweight.

But yeah GGG is a beast just walked straight through most of the shots.

MaulerX

U can make the case canelo won the first 3 rounds. And u can make the case that he won at least 2 of the last 3 if not all 3. That's 5-6 rounds right there for canelo. Yea GGG kept coming forward but canelo made him miss a lot and he was countering him all night. Boxing isn't scored just based on walking forward and swinging away. 115-113 either way is an acceptable score.

Absolutely. If that was the case Mayweather would have lost alot of fights. Anyway, is the first three and the last three for Canelo really that hard to believe?

Niven

GGG would maybe KO him I feel. He respected Canelo a little too much here, especially early, which makes sense, but he was pretty much walking through Canelo's shots later on. To me, the difference in power was clear.

You say that but at what point was canelo ever rocked?

Canelo lost that fight clear as day. Not even close. That female judge who scored it 118-110, check her fucking bank account, or her relative's bank account, cause she was paid.

qcf x2

I think a draw is totally justifiable. But Adalaide Byrd continuing to get work is sad. Boxing never changes I guess, she's been doing this for many years. It's not enough that they give her any ole matches, no, they give her title fights, main events, big money fights.

Typical

Banned
I genuinely had it a draw.

2-3 rounds canelo started super strong, coasted a bit, ggg chased him but did land much which I gave to canelo. First 2 and last 3 to canelo. So 5 in the bag and one of the rounds I mentioned above.

For me correct decision.

Wallach

i'm wondering if he had a bad cut or something. dude looked gassed at the 6th round. he needs to be a bit more aggressive in the rematch.

Canelo's always had just kind of an average gas tank, and Golovkin literally never stopped moving forward after the third round. Canelo could just come out in the first two round more paced, but it's fighting a losing battle I think as Golovkin's stamina is simply better at this weight, so he's still going to be more tired in the deep rounds.

No. This fight alone is probably going to do more ppv buys than UFC's entire 2017 ppv lineup.

No it's not. Jones vs DC by itself did almost 900k buys.

UFC is having a weak year but are we really expecting this fight to do 2 million or more? It would need to do that for your post to be accurate. GSP vs Bisping will also do 750k+

kinggroin

Banned
I don't know how to feel.

On one hand, one of the greatest most heart-pounding fights I've seen in a decade.

On the other hand, FUCK BOXING.

I never hated something I've loved this much.

Look at the rounds:

1. Canelo 10-9 Golovkin, very close
2. Canelo 20-18 Golovkin
3. Canelo 30-27 Golovkin
4. Canelo 39-37 Golovkin
5. Canelo 48-47 Golovkin
6. Canelo 57-57 Golovkin
7. Canelo 66-67 Golovkin (rounds 2-7 were easy to score)
8. Canelo 76-76 Golovkin (close)
9. Canelo 86-85 Golovkin (close)
10. Canelo 96-94 Golovkin (close)
11. Canelo 106-103 Golovkin (close)

12. Canelo 116-112 Golovkin (easily for Canelo)

That's 5 close rounds on my scorecard. There's potential for a swing from 116:112 (which is what I got) to 112:116 for Golovkin. It's just that I found Canelo's defense and counterpunching superior to Golovkin's stalking. I thought he adapted to Golovkin's style very well and got the better punches in in most rounds.

Fox318

Ehhhh it's a bad year due to Conor being out and a few stars but I be if you take out the Conor fight UFC still sold more PPVs than all of boxing out combined.

Hell didn't the Bellator NYC show do 200k at least? Probably more than the GGG garden show.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
You say that but at what point was canelo ever rocked?

He got stung a few times imo, never rocked because he has great movement and is slippery as hell, but it's clear that GGG has the power on him. GGG gave away early rounds out of respect, rematch that's not happening.

akileese

Constantly defending like that takes a lot of effort.

Boxing isn't all dead. Check out the Naoya Inoue fight from last week. The kid is amazing.

No it's not. Jones vs DC by itself did almost 900k buys.

UFC us having a weak year but are we really expecting this figjt to do 2 million or more? It would need to do that for you post to be accurate. GSP vs Bisping will also do 750k+

I had wiped that fight from my memory so point taken. Still boxing still has an ability to put together huge, transcendent cards. This "boxing is dying UFC is taking over" is usually bullshit parroted by people that follow neither.

Actually to my surprise canelo didnt feel those punches from ggg, he seemed cocky and confident once he found out he can easily take them.

Fercho

That's a shame. You'd think all these people covering this fight would know boxing.

That doesn't mean anything tbh. Here in Mexico are salty too for the draw making the case for Canelo. So there is some bias from "the people who knows"

Top Bottom