• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cant apply updates to newly bought Xbox One (old stock)

Have come across this recently with some friends. One of them purchased a brand new sealed Xbox one system. When going thru the initial setup process it would try to start the day one update but then would error out everytime. It would say it needed the update but could not continue. Seemed very weird and he is not the only one. As I looked into it and found there are many other people who encountered this as well. Some of them factory reset the systems and then couldn’t get the initial update again. Does anyone know if MS in their infinite wisdom has disabled the servers for the needed xbox one day one update? I had seen someone elude to that on a forum a bit ago but didn’t think it was correct. seems it may have been and they encountered it as well. Any thoughts gentlemen? And yes they even tried the Usb Offline update but it didn’t work either as the system apparently needed and kept looking for the initial day one patch. Very shady of MS to do this if they did. Just curious and thank you for anyone who may know more of this.

ManaByte

tumblr_n8l8o5HWGV1sgl0ajo1_500.gif

Edit: Who the fuck is buying a new Xbox One in 2024???

Last edited:

yurinka

Have come across this recently with some friends. One of them purchased a brand new sealed Xbox one system. When going thru the initial setup process it would try to start the day one update but then would error out everytime. It would say it needed the update but could not continue. Seemed very weird and he is not the only one. As I looked into it and found there are many other people who encountered this as well. Some of them factory reset the systems and then couldn’t get the initial update again. Does anyone know if MS in their infinite wisdom has disabled the servers for the needed xbox one day one update? I had seen someone elude to that on a forum a bit ago but didn’t think it was correct. seems it may have been and they encountered it as well. Any thoughts gentlemen? And yes they even tried the Usb Offline update but it didn’t work either as the system apparently needed and kept looking for the initial day one patch. Very shady of MS to do this if they did. Just curious and thank you for anyone who may know more of this.
He has to connect the console to internet.

King Dazzar

OP sounds like you know more than us. Total hypothetical theory here. But it could be that the Xbox update is not meant for Xbox One's that are still on factory firmware. My only thoughts are to try and get an earlier firmware update and try and install it via USB? As my understanding is, you can do offline updates.

Also, whilst new, there's a small chance it could still be faulty. It would have been sat for a long time somewhere as Slow Moving Obsolete Goods, so may have a questionable past.

Goalus

I have an Xbox One S that I use three times per year (christmas, easter, summer), and naturally each time I turn it on, it needs to download and apply an update first. I never encountered an error. It would surprise me if a brand-new XB1 was something entirely different that is not supported anymore. Maybe something is not right with the NAT settings on the internet router?

Goalus

OP sounds like you know more than us. Total hypothetical theory here. But it could be that the Xbox update is not meant for Xbox One's that are still on factory firmware.
OP would have to be more specific then.

Is it an Xbox One or an Xbox One S?

Xbox firmware updates consist of three steps:
- download
- integrity check
- apply

When exactly does it "error out"?
Does the download step even start?

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I could see MS inadvertently doing something dumb and messing up first time Xbone initialization.

It’s like Sony broke Vita/PS3 store multiple times and took a while to fix. Nintendo did same with WiiU (before it got shut down).

Basically the issue is not a priority unfortunately.

OP would have to be more specific then.

Is it an Xbox One or an Xbox One S?

Xbox firmware updates consist of three steps:
- download
- integrity check
- apply

When exactly does it "error out"?
Does the download step even start?
It’s an original xbox one console and the error starts right as you try to do the initial day one update to make the console operational. doesn’t even start just stops and errors out. thank you for trying to help.

Topher

Gold Member
It’s an original xbox one console and the error starts right as you try to do the initial day one update to make the console operational. doesn’t even start just stops and errors out. thank you for trying to help.

Might try an offline update....

And yes they even tried the Usb Offline update but it didn’t work either as the system apparently needed and kept looking for the initial day one patch. Very shady of MS to do this if they did. Just curious and thank you for anyone who may know more of this.

In the link above, it has special instructions for the original Xbox One console.

Last edited:
I have an Xbox One S that I use three times per year (christmas, easter, summer), and naturally each time I turn it on, it needs to download and apply an update first. I never encountered an error. It would surprise me if a brand-new XB1 was something entirely different that is not supported anymore. Maybe something is not right with the NAT settings on the internet router?
NAT settings are fine every other device works fine in his home. even used his cell to try a hot spot as per the MS technicians. he was on the phone with the a while and they deemed this unique and would open a case on it. I’m shocked they didn’t know about this and now he will have to wait to hear from them if ever. Their own techs don’t even know if the console is supported anymore……not very encouraging to say the least.

Last edited:
Might try an offline update....

In the link above, it has special instructions for the original Xbox One console.
thank you. We tried and that didn’t work either. this is what the MS support suggested after trying other things out. this is very odd indeed. Hoping to see if someone else on here has encountered this exact same issue.

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone who has tried to help. We appreciate your efforts.This has turned out to be a very unique issue to say the least.

Three

If the offline update option didn't work I suspect it needs to first register the machine on some database by calling home and new registrations might not be working anymore. As far as I remember all Xbox Ones need a connection on first setup.

Have you tried a packet sniffer to see what it's trying to do during the registration/day one patch process?

Last edited:

intbal

If the offline update option didn't work I suspect it needs to first register the machine on some database by calling home and new registrations might not be working anymore. As far as I remember all Xbox Ones need a connection on first setup.

Have you tried a packet sniffer to see what it's trying to do during the registration/day one patch process?
If that's what is happening, and it was an intentional action by Microsoft, then they've just bricked (possibly illegally) a lot of stock that is still in the hands of retailers.
Like this unit.

El Muerto

Gold Member
Are you enrolled in the insider program? You might have to unenroll, then factory reset, and try the update again. Or try connecting to a different network, like using a phone as a hotspot just to update the xbox. I remember having this issue too on my Xbox one, just have to keep trying different things.

Are you enrolled in the insider program? You might have to unenroll, then factory reset, and try the update again. Or try connecting to a different network, like using a phone as a hotspot just to update the xbox. I remember having this issue too on my Xbox one, just have to keep trying different things.
He is not in the insider program. he doesn’t have that and he tried the hotspot option and it didn’t work. thank you for the suggestions though. this is really weird.

If that's what is happening, and it was an intentional action by Microsoft, then they've just bricked (possibly illegally) a lot of stock that is still in the hands of retailers.
Like this unit.
You are correct as he has found out some other people he spoke to are having the same issue. two of them did full factory resets and could not get them to work again due to the reset wiping out the initial day one patch data.

Would you care to elaborate on what precisely is a packet sniffer? As I read these responses I am trying to relay to him what to do next so thank you for trying to help.

Last edited:
The first models had the special day one patch to remove the always on DRM

Ask Microsoft to escalate and give you a Series S for free
It’s his console not mine. I told him to get a series s or x but he wanted a new xbox one to replace his old one that wasn’t working right. He just likes that particular model.

Caffeine

I think u can update it with a usb flash drive by downloading the file. you can do this by holding the eject and pair button while pressing the power button it goes into trouble shooting menu

Last edited:

Three

Would you care to elaborate on what precisely is a packet sniffer? As I read these responses I am trying to relay to him what to do next so thank you for trying to help.

Something like Wireshark. It's to monitor network traffic from the xbox. it might show what servers it's trying to contact and possibly failing at during the setup process. It's not that easy to set up though so if they're not tech savvy it wouldn't be worth it. They're better off contacting MS.

Bro got scammed if he paid more than 50 bucks for One in 2024
sadly it appears he may have. There are others having the same issue as well. Pretty bad if MS knowingly did this by shutting down the host servers needed for this update. One has to wonder though. it is definitely something on their end as he connects to his internet wifi and he has used a hard wired connection as well. The problem starts as soon as it says time to update and then it doesn’t initiate and comes up with the error message.

ManaByte

sadly it appears he may have. There are others having the same issue as well. Pretty bad if MS knowingly did this by shutting down the host servers needed for this update. One has to wonder though. it is definitely something on their end as he connects to his internet wifi and he has used a hard wired connection as well. The problem starts as soon as it says time to update and then it doesn’t initiate and comes up with the error message.

Where did he even find a NEW Xbox One in 2024? They stopped producing them in 2020.

Top Bottom