• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cant apply updates to newly bought Xbox One (old stock)

dotnotbot

Where did he even find a NEW Xbox One in 2024? They stopped producing them in 2020.

Sometimes you can find new old sealed electronics on FB Marketplace or Craiglist or similar places for a really low price. That's how I found brand new sealed PS3 in 2019 for ~$80. Someome just had that thing stored for years somewhere and forgot about it.

Finding brand new thing just 4 years after production stopped really isn't something special. I'm still seeing new Playstation Vita TVs popping up from time to time.

Last edited:

intbal

If this is something that's only affecting NIB unregistered consoles, the best course of action would be to just buy the cheapest used unit from Ebay or a local seller. Those would have already gotten the day one patch at some point in their life and can just be factory reset.

RaZoR No1

Is your friend maybe on the TV Update Screen?

/s

Which Xbox One is it? I think in the first batches we needed to plug in the Kinect Sensor in too, so that we can use it.
Otherwise have you tried inserting a disc game?
Afaik in the older times (X360) the discs contained the OS updated too.
Maybe it is the same with Xbox One discs.

Otherwise try again the USB one with a USB 2.0 or double check the stick file type/format and try it again

Z O N E

I highly doubt Microsoft is screwing over Day One updates.

More than likely your friend had bad luck and got a faulty console.

If this is something that's only affecting NIB unregistered consoles, the best course of action would be to just buy the cheapest used unit from Ebay or a local seller. Those would have already gotten the day one patch at some point in their life and can just be factory reset.
People,who do factory resets are having the same problem as it deletes the initial file it needs to make the console work. So basically it bricks it if you do a full reset. Several people on ebay bought consoles that were fully reset and they are running into the exact same issue. Same error same screen. It’s crazy.

Is your friend maybe on the TV Update Screen?

/s

Which Xbox One is it? I think in the first batches we needed to plug in the Kinect Sensor in too, so that we can use it.
Otherwise have you tried inserting a disc game?
Afaik in the older times (X360) the discs contained the OS updated too.
Maybe it is the same with Xbox One discs.

Otherwise try again the USB one with a USB 2.0 or double check the stick file type/format and try it again
It wont initiate the day one update at all. It errors out as soon as you click the UPDATE icon. It’s not the kinect bundle either, it’s a newer gears of war ultimate edition bundle from 2015.

tumblr_n8l8o5HWGV1sgl0ajo1_500.gif

Edit: Who the fuck is buying a new Xbox One in 2024???
dont defend drm dude.

intbal

People,who do factory resets are having the same problem as it deletes the initial file it needs to make the console work. So basically it bricks it if you do a full reset. Several people on ebay bought consoles that were fully reset and they are running into the exact same issue. Same error same screen. It’s crazy.
That's a very serious issue and Microsoft needs to be made aware of it at once.
Factory resets can be necessary for a variety of reasons. I had to do one a couple of months ago for my One S because the disc drive stopped installing games.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
If that's what is happening, and it was an intentional action by Microsoft, then they've just bricked (possibly illegally) a lot of stock that is still in the hands of retailers.
Like this unit.
Say it's true, and MS deactivated the ability to set up a "new old stock" Xbox, I highly doubt that it would be found to be "illegal". Would technology companies be made to track old inventory of product indefinitely? Do they have to make sure ever Dick and Harry have depleted their stock before they can shut down a device activation server?Your link shows the digital store front is selling that Xbox One S for over $500, if anyone is to blame for still having the product in stock, it is the storefront for not adjusting their prices to what the market finds reasonable. If they sell a product that no longer works, that's the store fronts responsibility, not the manufacturer who ceased production 4 years beforehand.

I get you said "possibly illegal", I just don't understand the logic to come to the conclusion.

There is a emergency firmware update method from 2013 described in the link below for the launch xbox one, maybe that still works or MS removed that feature.

thank you a good read and similair to the fix we tried with the usb drive and files. sadly it didn’t work.

intbal

Say it's true, and MS deactivated the ability to set up a "new old stock" Xbox, I highly doubt that it would be found to be "illegal". Would technology companies be made to track old inventory of product indefinitely? Do they have to make sure ever Dick and Harry have depleted their stock before they can shut down a device activation server?Your link shows the digital store front is selling that Xbox One S for over $500, if anyone is to blame for still having the product in stock, it is the storefront for not adjusting their prices to what the market finds reasonable. If they sell a product that no longer works, that's the store fronts responsibility, not the manufacturer who ceased production 4 years beforehand.

I get you said "possibly illegal", I just don't understand the logic to come to the conclusion.

This issue isn't just affecting new old stock, according to Moriarty1889. It would affect every single Xbox One owned by anyone if they had to perform a factory reset for any reason.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
thank you a good read and similair to the fix we tried with the usb drive and files. sadly it didn’t work.
That blows. Have they reached out to MS as of yet? Others have mentioned having to reactive after a factory reset. You never know, but I imagine there is a protocol to get it going. What would be best, is for MS to patch out the need for online set up.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
This issue isn't just affecting new old stock, according to Moriarty1889. It would affect every single Xbox One owned by anyone if they had to perform a factory reset for any reason.
That's an assumption that we have no evidence of at this point. Regardless, this point has nothing to do with my statement, I was refuting the claim that it would possibly be illegal due to retailers still selling "new old stock".

That's a very serious issue and Microsoft needs to be made aware of it at once.
Factory resets can be necessary for a variety of reasons. I had to do one a couple of months ago for my One S because the disc drive stopped installing games.
Yes it is very serious and we are finding out there are others in the same position. He told the MS techs on the phone and also asked if the servers were deactivated for this day one patch. The techs had no answer to that and instead said they were surprised and puzzled and would open a case about this issue. They also said they would respond but they never did and it’s been a few weeks now. They tried everything from creating a hotspot, wired connection, doing the usb manual update and nothing worked. It specifically is looking for that day one update to initiate the download but can’t. Even says his console is connected but wont download it. Points more and more to something on their end that apparently their own techs know nothing about and decided to make a case about it. As I said this is pretty frustrating for anyone like my good friend going thru this.

Last edited:

RaZoR No1

It wont initiate the day one update at all. It errors out as soon as you click the UPDATE icon. It’s not the kinect bundle either, it’s a newer gears of war ultimate edition bundle from 2015.
Lets try updating the console in little steps.
Check the current version of your console (if possible) and try to update to the next one or a year younger
Here you can download the older OSU1 Update files

That blows. Have they reached out to MS as of yet? Others have mentioned having to reactive after a factory reset. You never know, but I imagine there is a protocol to get it going. What would be best, is for MS to patch out the need for online set up.
Yes he reached out as I have elaborated on and what happened when he did. Factory reset doesn’t work cuz it wont get to the initial setup and boot the console to its menu screen when properly setup. He tried the manual hard reset with the power button and power cable as well. Even the method with the bind button and even those didn’t work. Thank you all for helping and suggesting so many good ideas. It is good in a way that this becomes more aware by people on here as well as this issue is real and is affecting people with these consoles.

Lets try updating the console in little steps.
Check the current version of your console (if possible) and try to update to the next one or a year younger
Here you can download the older OSU1 Update files
thank you very much for that extensive listing. I will pass it on to him and see if something works. thank you again for taking the time and effort to try and help

RaZoR No1

Double posting, because you could miss an edit.
In which country do you live?
Have you tried using a VPN and conntected to a US or EU server?
Maybe the right servers for your place are down

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Yes he reached out as I have elaborated on and what happened when he did. Factory reset doesn’t work cuz it wont get to the initial setup and boot the console to its menu screen when properly setup. He tried the manual hard reset with the power button and power cable as well. Even the method with the bind button and even those didn’t work. Thank you all for helping and suggesting so many good ideas. It is good in a way that this becomes more aware by people on here as well as this issue is real and is affecting people with these consoles.
Hopefully it's not bad hardware, quick AI searches pull up a MS community forum post where someone couldn't activate their Xbox after a factory reset. Considering the post is from 2017, I doubt it holds any relevance to your friends current issue, but it shows this has happened when the servers were still unquestionably still active.

What country is your friend in?

Last edited:
Hopefully it's not bad hardware, quick AI searches pull up a MS community forum post where someone couldn't activate their Xbox after a factory reset. Considering the post is from 2017, I doubt it holds any relevance to your friends current issue, but it shows this has happened when the servers were still unquestionably still active.

What country is your friend in?
he is in London.

Double posting, because you could miss an edit.
In which country do you live?
Have you tried using a VPN and conntected to a US or EU server?
Maybe the right servers for your place are down
he lives in London. I will relay this info to him. thank you so much for helping. Let him try to give it a go and see what happens.

Mahavastu

You can buy unopened brand new xbox ones on the market (at a premium). Doesn't mean they were produced after 2020.
Sounds like he is talking about a launch day XBox One VCR from 2013, which still needed the day one patch.
I assume that later units "just worked"

xrnzaaas

It really sucks that MS is making it so difficult. Sure no one buys a new XONE console these days, but there are valid reasons for making a factory reset resulting in the same problem. Heck, I would do it if I was selling the console to make sure there's no trace of my content, logins & settings left.

Last edited:

BlackTron

This reminds me of when Wii U needed a big update out of the box, so some were opening and updating it before giving it to a kid for Xmas. Man forget ever holding on to sealed hardware like its worth anything anymore. IMO this makes older systems even more special. Yeah it's been opened before but I never have to worry about this crap with my extra boxed mint NES that I might sell one day. Holding on to newer systems in this fashion is just broken.

Meanwhile Xbox One was discontinued a mere 4 years ago. What a joke.

It really sucks that MS is making it so difficult. Sure no one buys a new XONE console these days, but there are valid reasons for making a factory reset resulting in the same problem. Heck, I would do it if I was selling the console to make sure there's no trace of my content, logins & settings left.
That’s what is happening on some ebay listings. Sellers did full resets to clear out all of their information before selling. The buyers are finding out they can’t use the consoles due to the day one update not being available anymore. Very poor of MS imo.

Last edited:

Drew1440

Chances are the internal drive is faulty or damaged, you can replace the hard drive and partition it which should install the latest firmware. There are a few guides that can walk you through this and givern this was a new old stock console, it's likely to be a returned/rejected unit that hasn't been properly processed. It does mention there being two partitions for the update, one of which was used for the day one which I suspect might be faulty.

It's unlikely Microsoft would use a different server for the day one patch, they still provide updates for the 360. I would try to insert a launch or post launch game to see if it firmware updates from that.
Update: There is also an eMMC flash chip that Microsoft used for partial system software, which some models used Hynix. Those who are familiar with the Wii U might be aware of the internal flash failing if the console has not been powered on after a while. Whilst unlikely since there are no widespread reports for the Xbox One, it might still be possible if the system hasn't been powered on for a while.

What drug addict would pay $400 for that in 2024?
A lot of people like experimenting and preserving systems on older firmwares, Xbox 360 consoles running the blades style dashboard are popular, as are iPhones running iOS 11 for 32bit app compatibility.

Last edited:
Chances are the internal drive is faulty or damaged, you can replace the hard drive and partition it which should install the latest firmware. There are a few guides that can walk you through this and givern this was a new old stock console, it's likely to be a returned/rejected unit that hasn't been properly processed. It does mention there being two partitions for the update, one of which was used for the day one which I suspect might be faulty.

It's unlikely Microsoft would use a different server for the day one patch, they still provide updates for the 360. I would try to insert a launch or post launch game to see if it firmware updates from that.
Update: There is also an eMMC flash chip that Microsoft used for partial system software, which some models used Hynix. Those who are familiar with the Wii U might be aware of the internal flash failing if the console has not been powered on after a while. Whilst unlikely since there are no widespread reports for the Xbox One, it might still be possible if the system hasn't been powered on for a while.

A lot of people like experimenting and preserving systems on older firmwares, Xbox 360 consoles running the blades style dashboard are popular, as are iPhones running iOS 11 for 32bit app compatibility.
Very insightful. Thank you. He can’t insert any games because he can’t get the system up and running due to it being new and not able to download the day one patch.

They were discontinued years ago, so there’s no such thing as a new one unless somebody bought one like three or four years ago and kept it inside of a closet
There are people on ebay who have new sealed units and sell them. That is where he acquired his from. Lots of older consoles still sealed like PS3 and 360’s as well and older consoles. Most likely collectors that had them.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I wonder if mine still works? I have a VCR model in a closet somewhere that I abandoned when One X released.

Soodanim

Last edited:
Question is are you brave enough to factory reset it and try and see if it still works.
Answer is ... I don't need too, my launch Xbox One still works , which is more that can be said for my launch 360
Ou26LBf.png

fqBV5AS.png

D2L8x4k.png

goUO3KS.png

Some
Some LOL . 'Some' launch consoles don't work at all

I'll have a bet right with you and the mugs at DF there's more working Launch day Xbox Ones out there than working Launch day Xbox 360s

Three

Answer is ... I don't need too, my launch Xbox One still works , which is more that can be said for my launch 360
In the article: "Used consoles sold on eBay and factory-reset also have the same issue."

It's any factory default console. New or reset to factory. They can't get the online update and have a brick of a console. Since you haven't factory reset nor is your console new why are you even mentioning that yours works? Nobody is "Overlooking [your] launch day One still works fine".

Last edited:
In the article: "Used consoles sold on eBay and factory-reset also have the same issue."

It's any factory default console. New or reset to factory. They can't get the online update and have a brick of a console. Since you haven't factory reset nor is your console new why are you even mentioning that yours works? Nobody is "Overlooking my launch day One still works fine".
Buying 2nd hand off fleabay is always risky as I've found out to my own cost .

Not that changes what is clear to most people. That buying a launch day 360 is far more of a risk, if you can find ones that still work, that is....

Three

Buying 2nd hand off fleabay is always risky as I've found out to my own cost .

Not that changes what is clear to most people. That buying a launch day 360 is far more of a risk, if you can find ones that still work, that is....
I don't care about launch day 360s I'm talking about this silly take from you:
Piss poor and gutter journalism from Euro and DF Overlooking my launch day One still works fine.

Just because launch 360s were even worse doesn't make your take any better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom